Interesting Francessa points

UnitedWhofans

19 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

See WR is actually one of the areas where I don't think we need to break the bank.  I think you can win with a good solid receiving corps.  Not saying we don't need another WR (don't forget about Enunwa) but I don't think it has to be Julio Jones if we can build a team with Robby, Enunwa, maybe keep Kearse/Kerley and hopefully one of the draft picks pans out (Hansen/Stewart) with ASJ I think that's plenty of offense  With all the holes I'd rather spend money on a CB, Edge Rusher or on the o-line before WR.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stark said:

If we aren't going to buy a top QB then we will need to trade up to get the top QB on our board. The fact is we need a legit QB. We have needed a legit QB for a long, long, long, long time. This team keeps trying to outsmart the room and takes too many half measures when it comes to QB. It is why we are usually in the bottom half of the league, drafting near the top in the draft. 

yikes, typo on my part that was actually supposed to read WR not QB completely agree we need a legit QB

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of you will probably disagree with this but I'll post it anyway.

- Said that he has heard from people that they compare the Jets defense at this stage to what Seattle's defense was when they were just getting started. That the potential for a fantastic defense is there.

- Said that safeties are now VERY important in the way modern defenses are played, and that the Jets got two studs.

- Said that he sees an infrastructure in place that can grow into a solid team. That the franchise is in a good place.

- Said they needed to find a QB otherwise they're going nowhere. That Hackenberg was a wasted pick but a lot of GMs have "blind spots" for guys.

With 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and the cap space, is it too optimistic to see the Jets pick up 5 to 6 solid players, hopefully with one being a young QB to groom? I'm excited for the off season.

1 minute ago, drsamuel84 said:

yikes, typo on my part that was actually supposed to read WR not QB completely agree we need a legit QB

Ha, I was wondering, but the way it was phrased I thought you were saying that if the WR's are good then a decent QB is all we should need. 

Makes more since now, for sure. 

ON the Enunwa thoughts. I like him, was not happy when he went down with an injury. Honestly thought, I don't think he is really that important to us. The WR's that are playing now have done a pretty good job in this new system. It will be interesting to see what his $$$$ demands are like this offseason. I would be happy to have him back, but I won't be upset if we let him walk.

40 minutes ago, BCJet said:

But at the same time I am able to see that Mac hit on 2 FA pickups in Ealy and ASJ who could be contributors on this team for the next 5 years. 

Actually, what is wrong with Jets fans is that they confuse waiver wire claims with intelligent GM moves.  Ealy and ASJ are both free agents.  This offseason.  Before they can contribute for the next 5 years, they will have to sign a contract.  Do you know who will have the opportunity to do sign them?  Every other team. 

They weren't nice FA pickups.  They were waiver claims.  Do you know why we got them?  Because our sh*tty record gives us a higher waiver priority.

28 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

See wr is actually one of the areas where I don't think we need to break the bank.  I think you can win with a good solid receiving corps.  Not saying we don't need another WR (don't forget about Enunwa) but I don't think it has to be Julio Jones if we can build a team with Robby, Enunwa, maybe keep Kearse/Kerley and hopefully one of the draft picks pans out (Hansen/Stewart) with ASJ I think that's plenty of offense  With all the holes I'd rather spend money on a CB, Edge Rusher or on the o-line before WR.

Kearse is under contract and playing well.  ASJ and Kerley are free agents.  Enunwa should be also, but with his lack of games played, I am not sure how the accrued years work.  I still think he is a UFA. 

11 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

With 4 picks in the 1st 3 rounds and the cap space, is it too optimistic to see the Jets pick up 5 to 6 solid players, hopefully with one being a young QB to groom? I'm excited for the off season.

If we trade up for a QB its more like 1 pick in the first 3 rounds (maybe 2 depending on how the picks are dealt over next draft too)

But, no it is not too optimistic to say that we could pick of 5 to 6 solid players. Also consider Macs potential trades, he seems to do well in regards to trades. Even though he may not get the deal done in a time we hope for. The Brandon Marshall trade was not bad, the Forte trade was not bad, Brooks....Sheldon/Kearse + 2nd rounder If he has a good draft this year and tells Bowles the mission is to get a franchise QB we could have a fun offseason

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, what is wrong with Jets fans is that they confuse waiver wire claims indicate intelligent GM moves.  Ealy and ASJ are both free agents.  This offseason.  Before they can contribute for the next 5 years, they will have to sign a contract.  Do you know who will have the opportunity to do sign them?  Every other team. 

They weren't nice FA pickups.  They were waiver claims.  Do you know why we got them?  Because our sh*tty record gives us a higher waiver priority.

Great, fortunately they both seem happy and we have cap space.

I thought all that matters is the results for Mac?  If so the result is he acquired 2 contributing players for nothing.

He doesnt deserve to get to Canton for those pickups, but they count.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Kearse is under contract and playing well.  ASJ and Kerley are free agents.  Enunwa should be also, but with his lack of games played, I am not sure how the accrued years work.  I still think he is a UFA. 

Yes and we should have enough cap room to bring them all back especially Enunwa who may look to play on a one year prove it deal so he's not locked into a cheap contract if he comes back strong, ideally, you'd like to see Hansen or Stewart step up but I guess in order to do that they actually need to get on the field.  ASJ needs to cut back on the penalties but he's been the best TE this team has had in a very long time and seems to like being a Jet so I would anticipate he'll be back.  Kerley, ehhh just keep Kearse and again hope one of the young guys pans out.  Again I'm not apposed to bringing in another WR just saying that I don't think we need to to find the next Julio Jones.

As I remember it he's a RFA. As a rookie he didn't accrue enough games on the active roster for that to count (spent almost the entire season on the practice squad). 

So he doesn't need a veteran contract out of the gate in March, if he's still not healed enough to gamble on. They could tag him with his original draft round (not much in return if we lose him, since he was drafted in round 6), or round 2 at probably just under $3m (like W.Johnson this year).

Just now, BCJet said:

I thought all that matters is the results for Mac?  If so the result is he acquired 2 contributing players for nothing.

They count for this year.  Next year's will count for next year.  You don't get bonus points for a core of guys that are not under contract until they are under contract.  

44 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I know. But we had more holes then. WE're in a much better position in terms of age and the market is better. Revis was the top corner on that market. This year it will be Trumaine Johnson

Back then our biggest needs were QB, WR, OL, CB, and pass rusher. Now? Totally different story folk’s

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As I remember it he's a RFA. As a rookie he didn't accrue enough games on the active roster for that to count (spent almost the entire season on the practice squad). 

So he doesn't need a veteran contract out of the gate in March, if he's still not healed enough to gamble on. They could tag him with his original draft round (not much in return if we lose him, since he was drafted in round 6), or round 2 at probably just under $3m (like W.Johnson this year).

I thought I remembered reading that, but Jason has him as a UFA and I'd have thought he would have updated by now.

Can they still use original round tenders on guys like him and Simon?  They were cut, practice squadded and resigned.  Enunwa signed his present contract after Christmas.

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This statement embodies exactly the problem with Jet fans - the inability to separate the fact that we do have a good core with the fact that we dont have a QB, those things for anyone who doesnt care more about being "right" about mac then actually having the Jets win are easily able to be separated.

Do I want an edge rusher, absolutely.  Do I want a QB other then Josh McCown, yes I do.  Do I think Hackenberg was a terrible pick, yep.  In hindsight should we have taken Vic Beasley over Leo, probably.

“You fake fans care more about hating on Macc than you do about winning! [lists four indefensibly stupid things Maccagnan has done]”

Points for novelty, at least.

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

But at the same time I am able to see that Mac hit on 2 FA pickups in Ealy and ASJ who could be contributors on this team for the next 5 years.  I didnt jump to call Lee a bust after 20 games and it seems now that he could be a very strong player.  Both our safeties are playing at elite levels for rookies (for rookies - they arent Earl Thomas today), McGuire looks like an NFL player who was picked in the 6th round and Robby looks like an NFL player as an UDFA.

I also saw Mac acquire DD who is a good young player (not ray lewis - i just said good) and get a second round pick for a FA that we werent going to sign.

Three of the members of our vaunted core—Ealy, Sefarian-Jenkins, and Davis—will be free agents next season. Neither safety is playing at an elite level, for rookies or for anyone else. Acquiring “NFL players” is literally the least one can ask of a GM.

28 minutes ago, BCJet said:

John Elway traded up for Paxton Lynch and got a 5 year extension.  Ozzie Newsome spent a first rounder on Matt Elam who is out of the league.  Every team in the league passed on Dak Prescott. Ted Thompson doesnt have a good Offensive line.  The job of a GM is extremely difficult and no one hits on every pick.

You can dislike Mac and say we need a QB, but the fact that we have a good, young core on defense is just that - a fact.

Elway, Newsome, and Thompson all have Super Bowl rings. “Other teams are just as stupid as us” and “Being a GM is really hard” are pretty weak defenses for a former Executive of the Year. Our good young core doesn’t have a single half-decent CB under long-term control, or anything even resembling a pass rusher. I’m sure Maccagnan will get to that any day now. Probably right after he gets us a QB, which he definitely will this offseason.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Back then our biggest needs were QB, WR, OL, CB, and pass rusher. Now? Totally different story folk’s

WhoFans:

"You guys, I just don't know why some fans aren't happy with what we've accomplished so far.  At least we're not like the Giants who suck and have all those expensive aging FAs they signed a few years ago lololol"

Also WhoFans:

"We got soooooo much money to spend on holes next free agency and my friend who is Giants fan is saaaaaaad that they're gonna have high draft pick :(!!!!!!"

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I thought I remembered reading that, but Jason has him as a UFA and I'd have thought he would have updated by now

Enunwa is due to become a restricted free agent after the season.

There are other links. However much anyone likes or dislikes Cimini, his position likely comes with access to the NFLPA website.

18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

But the fact that Ealy, Davis, Claiborne and Seferian-Jenkins are all FA this year and could walk puts a dent into the 'good nucleus of young talent' on the roster. If they all leave, what's left? Safeties, Lee and Jordan Jenkins (hey, i'm generous), Williams,Anderson and our punter?

27 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, what is wrong with Jets fans is that they confuse waiver wire claims indicate intelligent GM moves.  Ealy and ASJ are both free agents.  This offseason.  Before they can contribute for the next 5 years, they will have to sign a contract.  Do you know who will have the opportunity to do sign them?  Every other team. 

To be fair it’s way more consistent than our drafting. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Enunwa is due to become a restricted free agent after the season.

There are other links. However much anyone likes or dislikes Cimini, his position likely comes with access to the NFLPA website.

I know, but does it change anything (original draft slot compensation) that he was cut and resigned in December 2014?

6 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

But the fact that Ealy, Davis, Claiborne and Seferian-Jenkins are all FA this year and could walk puts a dent into the 'good nucleus of young talent' on the roster. If they all leave, what's left? Safeties, Lee and Jordan Jenkins (hey, i'm generous), Williams,Anderson and our punter?

"We have a good young core folks.  Believe me.  It's the best young core.  I got all these Giants fans coming up to me and do you know what they're asking?  They're asking where we got a young core so great.  I'll tell ya folks.  This Jets young core is tremendous.  The future of this team is bright people.  Really big-league future.  It's gonna be great."

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

"We have a good young core folks.  Believe me.  It's the best young core.  I got all these Giants fans coming up to me and do you know what they're asking?  They're asking where we got a young core so great.  I'll tell ya folks.  This Jets young core is tremendous.  The future of this team is bright people.  Really big-league future.  It's gonna be great."

Agree get a decent QB and this team improves instantly, I'm just a little concerned about GM and head coach. 

Well, clearly we need to draft two more safeties int he 1st and 2nd next year, and reup Bowles and Macc for 10 years because they are all clearly so vital.:rolleyes:

Francessa is a dipsh*t and a Giants guy, always has been, he's not suddenly right because he says something vaguely nice about the Jets.

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

Someone says something positive (and correct) about the Jets and the usual suspects rush in to denounce it...   don't worry.  everyone is wrong but you guys. 

Well the right vs wrong stats about this team and their moves over the last 10 years are about like this.

Mangy, nasty naysaying doomsayers:  correct 97.5%

Happy happy rainbow unicorn warriors:  correct 2.5%

Hey i am all for positives, feel free to point them out to me but these long omnibus posts about how swell we are are just bogus.  Want to be happy about the safeties?  Fine, want to be happy about other small parts of our team?  fine.  But cred is all lost when we are told just how good we are and how lcose we are when rationality says we are not.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Truth is, there isnt a single position on the team that couldn’t be upgraded.  Sure you’re not targeting Safeties and I kind of like WRs with Enunwa back (#progress!) but what other position group do you have confidence that would deter you from taking a prospect or FA upgrade?  You could argue taking players at those positions too.  

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Someone says something positive (and correct) about the Jets and the usual suspects rush in to denounce it...   don't worry.  everyone is wrong but you guys. 

This is gonna be a fun thread to bump:

- during FA when we're blowing our load on aging Vets.

- during the draft when we can't draft a top tier QB prospect.

- when we inevitably trade for Alex Smith because we missed out on the aforementioned QBs.

- when we're having a disastrous season next year and it turns out that we *gasp* do not actually have a core similar to Seattle's, pre-Russell Wilson.

- when Macc and Bowles are fired.

- when we hire the Financial Advisor to John Lynch to be our GM because no one good wants the job.

- when we hire Hue Jackson to be our Head Coach because no one good wants the job.

- 3 years into their tenures when we're in the same exact situation as right now and you Sunshine Farters are telling us that losing Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye to FA and being forced to trade a disgruntled Leo Williams, all of who got tired of losing and were not taking discounts to help us shed some CAP space, was actually a good thing and we're literally a QB, Pass Rusher, CB, and OL away from creating a dynasty only surpassed by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.

#TheFutureIsBright

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

This is gonna be a fun thread to bump

- when we inevitably trade for Alex Smith because we missed out on the aforementioned QBs.

- when we're having a disastrous season next year and it turns out that we *gasp* do not actually have a core similar to Seattle's, pre-Russell Wilson.

- when we hire the Financial Advisor to John Lynch to be our GM because no one good wants the job.

- when we hire Hue Jackson to be our Head Coach because no one good wants the job.

- 3 years into their tenures when we're in the same exact situation as right now and you Sunshine Farters are telling us that losing Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye to FA and being forced to trade a disgruntled Leo Williams, all of who got tired of losing and were not taking discounts to help us shed some CAP space, was actually a good thing and we're literally a QB, Pass Rusher,  CB, and OL away from creating a dynasty only surpassed by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.

#TheFutureIsBright

zeimusu_Fire_Icon.png 

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This is gonna be a fun thread to bump:

- 3 years into their tenures when we're in the same exact situation as right now and you Sunshine Farters are telling us that losing Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye to FA and being forced to trade a disgruntled Leo Williams, all of who got tired of losing and were not taking discounts to help us shed some CAP space, was actually a good thing and we're literally a QB, Pass Rusher,  CB, and OL away from creating a dynasty only surpassed by the Ancient Greeks and Romans.

#TheFutureIsBright

You don't think they are going to exercise the fifth year option on Jamal Adams? 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Safeties are more important than they once were, however if you do not have a good rest of the roster teams will just schema round them.  Our young safeties have to be near lock down in coverage and make plays to be considered studs.

Re our soon to be all world defense, we need at least one top end CB we have to get a really good pass rusher.

The team as it is now has:

- No starting QB

- A bad oline that require a minimum of LT and C

- Mediocre RBS

- One 'threat' Wr and not much else.

- No pass rushing OLB

- Badly in need of a starting CB

- Unbelievably might even need a Dlineman if we dump mo wilk as we should

If we go to the lengths we are going to have to go to get the franchise QB by trading up kiss goodbye high picks for about two years at least.

This team has filled in some holes in some positions but is a long ways away from contending.

holy crap! i didn't realize,  maybe they shouldn't even show up.  the point is they have two serious issues, oline and qb.  once they get sorted out the rest of the problems go away. edge rusher you say? kony ealy has something like 10 passes knocked down.  they're nearly the same as a sack. cornerback?  with the two very good safeties the need for lock down corners is diminished.  no wr threat?  maybe if the qb could throw more than 20-30 yards they would have a serious threat.  anderson is very close and asj and even kearse could be deep threats.  finally mediocre rbs?  powell is not mediocre and mcguire has shown some good flashes.  forte?  his running style isn't so great but the main problem with the run game is the oline.

the bottom line is this team is a lot closer than the fans and the record says.  consider that if they could run well against the doltfins, falcons, and bucs, they could easily be 7-3, even with mccown at qb.  and this is the first season in quite a few where i saw them play complete games, that is played well and dominated from start to finish.

You don't think they are going to exercise the fifth year option on Jamal Adams? 

It was meant to be a bit hyperbolic to make my point about the Rainbow Sqaud, but with this organization who f*cking knows?

Archived