Interesting Francessa points

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francessa is a pompous ass but he knows his sh*t and he probably knows alot more about football than some of the self proclaimed experts on this board. I agree with him that this defense looks like it can be a very good one. They need to resign Davis and Ealy and have to address CB and edge rusher in draft or FA. Skrine CANNOT be a starting CB on this team next year. The biggest problems on this team are on offense. This team is going nowhere if we don't get a QB and fix the OL. The OL is the foundation of an offense and we desperately need an upgrade. I can live with the receiving corp and we have a lot more pressing needs.  Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson, Stewart/Hansen, and ASF(sign him) are a good group. Our RB's are ok but we need additional help which we can get in the draft. The importance of this off season can't be overstated. Macc has a ton of work to do and he has the draft picks and money to make a serious dent in so many areas of need. What this team looks like come next training camp is anybody's guess but the team's long term future will be shaped by what happens in the next 6 months. 

17 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of you will probably disagree with this but I'll post it anyway.

- Said that he has heard from people that they compare the Jets defense at this stage to what Seattle's defense was when they were just getting started. That the potential for a fantastic defense is there.

- Said that safeties are now VERY important in the way modern defenses are played, and that the Jets got two studs.

- Said that he sees an infrastructure in place that can grow into a solid team. That the franchise is in a good place.

- Said they needed to find a QB otherwise they're going nowhere. That Hackenberg was a wasted pick but a lot of GMs have "blind spots" for guys.

The fat man is right for once. Our defense is already really solid and going to be great. But it's all for naught if we don't find ourselves a QB.

I'm hoping we get cousins or luck ( wishful thinking) and then draft an OL in the first and a legit RB in the second. We can go from bad to really good overnight and not just for a one year fix but for 5-7 years. 

10 hours ago, k-met57 said:

we have 1 issue...finding a QB...every other issue can be fixed with 80 million dollars.

9 hours ago, Dink and Drunk said:

You could throw a bunch of money at Cousins, trade down in the draft, and draft to solve the other issues, right? I actually think it is a tough decision which way to go.

technically, only you are competing with a bunch of other teams not to mention his current team that has franchise rights. the chances of getting him are low at best. so speaking in terms of propabilities...the draft is probably our best bet...that or andy dalton :(

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

technically, only you are competing with a bunch of other teams not to mention his current team that has franchise rights. the chances of getting him are low at best. so speaking in terms of propabilities...the draft is probably our best bet...that or andy dalton :(

The problem is a ton of teams are drafting QBs as well. The Jets are in a tough spot. 

This was the year to tank, but they asked their coach to prove it instead. I feel for you guys.

Just now, Dink and Drunk said:

The problem is a ton of teams are drafting QBs as well. The Jets are in a tough spot. 

This was the year to tank, but they asked their coach to prove it instead. I feel for you guys.

i don't agree at all. the draft spot matters a lot less then the drafters...texans and KC both got a QB without a high pick, the eagles and the rams both got QB's without a high pick to start the night. not sure we have the right people at the wheel but drafting a QB in his deep QB class should be very much doable.

Just now, k-met57 said:

i don't agree at all. the draft spot matters a lot less then the drafters...texans and KC both got a QB without a high pick, the eagles and the rams both got QB's without a high pick to start the night. not sure we have the right people at the wheel but drafting a QB in his deep QB class should be very much doable.

I hope you are right. My team is also going to draft a QB. I see about half the league that might take one high. I am afraid their is going to be a run on them. 

I think the situation is different than last year because a bunch of current vet QBs are getting very close to hanging up the cleats. 

I think Mike and his sources are right about this. The secondary has the makings of being real good with the 2 safeties and Claiborne, they need another corner which he mentioned to pair up with Claiborne if they decide to resign him. And the Jets two ILB's are fast players for their position, especially Lee. They fly around the field. Lee is still progressing and has to stay consistent but he really does have the makings of being a big time impact player like a Bobby Wagner. He's not Wagner by any means at this point, but he has that potential if he can figure it all out and minimize his negative plays.

I'm pretty convinced Maac does know what he's doing. He deserves time to build this. This season feels like Maac and Bowles have finally put their hand print on this organization. At the end of the day though it's about results.

18 hours ago, Pac said:

Just because I let people try to portray me as a pollyannish homer doesn't mean it's true.  All I've been really been saying is McCown is the best QB on the roster, we have young talent, and the team chemistry is vastly improved.  What's so crazy about that?

I happen to believe the future is indeed bright because we are improving the character of the team while adding talented players.  It's far from a finished product but I see Macc working and approve of what he's trying to do.

He tried to trade up for Wentz and it didn't work out.  The only egregious error during his tenure was missing on Dak but so did everyone else 3 times over.

Cousins isn't getting 30 Million a year but I don't necessarily want the Jets to be the team to give him 25 Mil a year either.  I think the plan is to target 3 QB's in the draft and do whatever they can to get one.  Hopefully that QB displays enough in training camp to name him the starter with McCown and Hack as your 2 and 3.

From what I've read there is good RB depth in the draft and the 90 Mil can be used to shore up all the areas of the team that need attention.

I'm looking very much forward to what happens come March and April.  No reason we can't be contenders next year with a little luck.  I trust Macc to get it done.

So many things here that its gonna be hard to to resist not going off on a rant

Macc's error's. Drafted Hackenberg in the second round. No one had him rated this high and it was even thought that he might not even be drafted until day 3. Passed on a much needed QB in last years draft. Okay I could understand why he took Adams over Watson but drafting ANOTHER safety in round 2? Passing on an OL in the third and trading down when there was a perfectly good one right there for the taking? GOT LUCKY with some waiver pick-ups on D and traded a disgruntled DL for a serviceable WR. Allowed Bowles to stay AFTER he lost the team in the locker room and on the field.

Cousins: If the Jets want to sign him they are going to have to overpay and it will be around 30 mil per to get him. If he even wants to come to a last place in its division ball club. You think part of the plan is re-sign McCown? With a coach that hates to play rookies? Plan? Macc's plan is what it has ever been. He is eyeing all that cap space thinking he can solve all the issues with it like a lot of people on these boards think it can. WRONG. That approach has never worked in the past as has been proven time and again by this very team.

Maccs drafts are sub-par and his FA signings only bright spots are the wording of the damn contracts. Macc will spend and spend to his hearts content but to no avail. If he doesn't draft a QB and sign a guy who can play(NOT MCCOWN) until that QB is ready he should be fired on the spot.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:05 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

- Said that he has heard from people that they compare the Jets defense at this stage to what Seattle's defense was when they were just getting started. That the potential for a fantastic defense is there.

- Said that safeties are now VERY important in the way modern defenses are played, and that the Jets got two studs.

- Said that he sees an infrastructure in place that can grow into a solid team. That the franchise is in a good place.

- Said they needed to find a QB otherwise they're going nowhere. That Hackenberg was a wasted pick but a lot of GMs have "blind spots" for guys.

Missed this. This is great.

So he basically sucks at everything then and when he does good things he got lucky. He got lucky when he signed ASJ, Claiborne, Ealy. He got lucky when he traded the bum Pryor for Davis who is having a good year. He got lucky when he traded Richardson to get Kearse and a 2nd. His drafts aren't that bad either besides the awful pick of Hack who is trash. I know he passed on Watson but Adams and Maye have been very good plus guys like Stuart, Hansen, McGuire, and Legget may be decent players moving forward. The prior draft produced solid players like Lee, Jenkins, Edwards, plus the jury is still out on Shell and Burris. I don't love or hate Macc I just don't think he is a total fool like some like to portray. 

On 11/14/2017 at 3:05 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

You think Francesa is praising your heroes Macagnan and Bowles he is not

This is about Francesa sending a message to the Maras that McAdoo and Reese need to go.  The Maras hate Woody and the Jets and the only thing worse then being 1-8 is being 1-8 while the jets are perceived as having the brighter future

12 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

So he basically sucks at everything then and when he does good things he got lucky. He got lucky when he signed ASJ, Claiborne, Ealy. He got lucky when he traded the bum Pryor for Davis who is having a good year. He got lucky when he traded Richardson to get Kearse and a 2nd. His drafts aren't that bad either besides the awful pick of Hack who is trash. I know he passed on Watson but Adams and Maye have been very good plus guys like Stuart, Hansen, McGuire, and Legget may be decent players moving forward. The prior draft produced solid players like Lee, Jenkins, Edwards, plus the jury is still out on Shell and Burris. I don't love or hate Macc I just don't think he is a total fool like some like to portray. 

Did he get lucky when he wasted back2back 2nd round picks on Devin Smith and Hackenberg and bid against himself for Ryan Fitzgarbage and gave a DT a $100 million deal?

All I am saying is he has done some really good things also and I think its unfair that anything good is called lucky which is total BS. I said before Hack was an atrocious pick but if Smith wasn't made of glass who knows what would have happened. Some of you guys make it seem like other GM's hit on every one of their draft picks which just isn't true. Fitz was coming off a pretty good year and the jets just went 10-6. Maybe the 12 mil was excessive but it was only a 1 year deal. I don't love or hate Macc and he has done some sh*t things but he has also done some good. 

Archived