Sad state of Jets backup QB's

joewilly12

Sad state of Jets backup quarterbacks: ‘This isn’t Triple-A’

November 14, 2017 | 3:05pm

The Jets can hope there is development going on behind the scenes with their two young quarterbacks, but Sundays are apparently not the time to find out.

While 38-year-old Josh McCown continues to be the starter with full support from his coaching staff, 22-year-old Christian Hackenberg and 26-year-old Bryce Petty will have to settle for making strides in the classroom as backups.

“As an organization, this is professional football. This isn’t Triple-A,” Jets QBs coach Jeremy Bates said Tuesday on a conference call. “We’re going to play the best players that give us the opportunity to win, in all positions. That’s our philosophy. Josh is our starter. He gives us the opportunity to win on Sunday, and that’s what we’re focused on.”

Bates made it clear that any and all conversations about the Jets’ future at quarterback will happen after the season, when the organization will have to determine if they should draft another signal caller. Until then, McCown — who already has thrown a career-high 14 touchdowns with a career-best 69 percent completion rate — is the answer with the Jets solely focused on the short term.

While the Jets’ playoff hopes took another hit Sunday, when they dropped to 4-6 with a loss to the Buccaneers, there are still no plans to get Hackenberg or Petty into the mix.

“That’s going to be our focus the next six games is win-loss record,” Bates said.

rbates.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&str
Jeremy BatesBill Kostroun/New York Post

In his first season on the Jets sidelines, Bates gushed about McCown’s preparation and how it translates to Sundays. It’s a lesson he said he believes is valuable for the two backup quarterbacks to learn from.

As for how he’s evaluating the development of Hackenberg and Petty, Bates said he’s watching them in the meeting room and during their limited snaps on the practice field during the week.

“If they’re young or if they’re an old backup, they have to prepare like their number is going to be called,” Bates said. “We know that both Bryce and Christian, if their number is called, they’re going to go in there and they got an opportunity to showcase what they’ve been working on.”

Asked where Hackenberg needs to improve, Bates said the 2016 second-round pick is working on “learning the system, playing fast and being more accurate.”

But pressed on what wasn’t happening or what was missing for Hackenberg to see the field on Sunday, the answer was less certain.

“Right now, we’re focused more on the Carolina Panthers than getting into that debate,” Bates said. “Of course we’ll have that conversation at the end of the season.”

As the Jets enter their bye week, McCown has taken every snap at quarterback. The only other Jet to attempt a pass this season is Lachlan Edwards, who pulled off a fake punt in a Week 4 win over the Jaguars. Hackenberg has been inactive for nine games after serving as the backup in the season opener.

While McCown saw the least amount of action of the three quarterbacks during the preseason, Hackenberg failed to make enough of an impression to grab the starting job. He has yet to attempt a pass during the regular season, and it may be an uphill battle to get the first one under his belt any time soon.

“We prepare the starter the same way we prepare the No. 2 or No. 3,” Bates said. “They’re all in the classroom, they’re all grinding, they all come early, they all stay late and they get the same work on the field. All three quarterbacks are preparing in position to be ready to play the game on Sunday. I don’t think there’s a difference.

“Once the season starts, you’re focused on that opponent for that week. That’s the main objective.”

2 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

bates sounds like a guy parroting his boss' talking points.. go figure..

I understand why you and others hate Bowles but why do fans have to create false narratives about Bowles, without any proof, and treat it like facts?

Here is the QB coach who is giving direct quotes, but since it doesn't fit the narrative, its discounted.

3 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

bates sounds like a guy parroting his boss' talking points.. go figure..

That's certainly one way of reading it, depending upon how you want to read it.

Another way is he's pretty much outright saying the other two are at a triple-A level (i.e. college). As in, that's the only level to rationalize starting either one if you're trying to win a ballgame. 

Unlike Bowles, the QBC details the more famous one's shortcomings: Bates said the 2016 second-round pick is working on “learning the system, playing fast and being more accurate.”

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Another way is he's pretty much outright saying the other two are at a triple-A level (i.e. college). As in, that's the only level to rationalize starting either one if you're trying to win a ballgame. 

Unlike Bowles, the QBC details the more famous one's shortcomings: Bates said the 2016 second-round pick is working on “learning the system, playing fast and being more accurate.”

Hack, IMO, is a waste of time at this point. If playing fast and being more accurate is what you are working on after 2 offseasons and working with QB coaches it doesn't sound promising. Take into account that Hack looked like garbage in his preseason appearances both years, and Petty (who our staff appartently hates) looks like a HOF QB compared to Hack in preseason. 

No matter what the real reason, there is 1 thing for sure. We can't keep rolling out 36+ year old QB's that are not top level QB's. 

We have to find a solution at the most important position in the NFL. ( Yes, I know everyone knows this).

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bates is saying Petty and Hackenberg suck and McCown is the best QB on the roster. 

Which means, in theory, almost anyone could come in and play better than McCown. Since, you know, he really isn't that good and plays at a level slightly above rookie.

16 minutes ago, Stark said:

Which means, in theory, almost anyone could come in and play better than McCown. Since, you know, he really isn't that good and plays at a level slightly above rookie.

A rookie would have more zip on the ball, be able to throw the long ball and run a lot faster. 

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bates is saying Petty and Hackenberg suck and McCown is the best QB on the roster. 

Yep.  McCown is the best option.  Just like the last two years Fitz was the best option.

During a season where you are playing a QB that has been in the league a decade and has never even made the playoffs, how the hell can you expect to be good?

Expecting ten year vets to come here and have a career year and play out of their mind every season is idiotic.

If McCown is the best option you have at QB, your first round pick BETTER be a QB.  If not, then the team is not trying to be successful.  They are trying to be just good enough to keep fans interested and spending $$.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Yep.  McCown is the best option.  Just like the last two years Fitz was the best option.

During a season where you are playing a QB that has been in the league a decade and has never even made the playoffs, how the hell can you expect to be good?

Expecting ten year vets to come here and have a career year and play out of their mind every season is idiotic.

If McCown is the best option you have at QB, your first round pick BETTER be a QB.  If not, then the team is not trying to be successful.  They are trying to be just good enough to keep fans interested and spending $$.

I agree and thats why I refuse to give Mike Maccagnan any praise in 3 years as GM he has failed to bring in a decent QB. 

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I understand why you and others hate Bowles but why do fans have to create false narratives about Bowles, without any proof, and treat it like facts?

Here is the QB coach who is giving direct quotes, but since it doesn't fit the narrative, its discounted.

i gave my opinion on bates' comments.. i know, what a novel idea on a internet chat forum, right??

it seems i've come to realize over the last 24 hours or so, i can't make my points clearly enough for you not to attempt to twist them to fit your "voice of reason" agenda.. or perhaps you're simply being disingenuous, or trolling, or a combination of both..

36 minutes ago, Stark said:

If playing fast and being more accurate is what you are working on after 2 offseasons and working with QB coaches it doesn't sound promising.

At least he's moved up from "couldn't hit the ocean". :lol:

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Couldn't make it through the article.  Read, "... Mccown is the answer ..." and almost threw up.

Man I thought it'd just be this one bad year then hope.  Smh, looks like many bad years to come and no hope.

funny....vomit was the first thing that came to my mind too.   Can only hope he is just regurgitating the Bowles line and he doesn't really believe this drivel, but I think that is wishful thinking

19 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

i gave my opinion on bates' comments.. i know, what a novel idea on a internet chat forum, right??

it seems i've come to realize over the last 24 hours or so, i can't make my points clearly enough for you not to attempt to twist them to fit your "voice of reason" agenda.. or perhaps you're simply being disingenuous, or trolling, or a combination of both..

me personally? 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem is that it is a ridiculous concept, and I would consider firing Bates for even having said it. The short term is NOT more important for this team than the future. Exactly the opposite. To be so clueless as to actually intentionally be so tunnel visioned is criminal.

They are young QBs. ALL young QBs are AAA level, period. Even the flavor of the month Watson. The all take time to develop and the ONLY way to progress from AAA to Pro Level is to play. People act like Watson would have had similar success here. 

NO

First, Bowles, Bates and Morton are all "Play the veteran" guys so he likely wouldn't have played anyway

Second, O'Brien fully committed to Watson the SECOND he knew Savage was not the answer. FULLY. And what does he do? He creates an offense that gives Watson the best chance to grow and succeed. And he blossomed. The reality is that after 10 games or so, teams are likely to figure out how to defend Watson, he will start looking like a young QB, and he will have to adjust.

But we have bozos running our team.

Next game is less important than next season and the season after'

Evaluating at the end of the year is so laughably stupid with a 38 year old QB it defies all logic.

This coaching staff is destroying this team right in front of our faces. If our Dumber and DUmber owners don't step in we are doomed.

Only thing that can save us is a McClown injury at this point. I am so tired of defensive minded loser head coaches.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It was the nicest way I've ever seen a QB Coach say "the kid f*cking sucks and, internally, we're looking to replace him."

The entire premise of this article is flawed. When you talk about the Jets' backup QBs, you are implying that they actually have a starting QB, which, when it comes to skill level, they really don't. They are one of the few teams that have three QBs who really aren't good enough to be starters anywhere else - even Cleveland. In the case of Christian Hackenburg, it's questionable whether he even belongs in the NFL. Petty may get a chance to start somewhere down the line (I say that only because Kellen Clemens actually started at one point), but even that's questionable. 

Does anyone remember the days when people wondered who was going to have a better career - Tom Brady or Chad Pennington? 

4 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

That was due to the team around him mostly, they also backed into the playoffs.

i won't argue that, but sanchez did did make some big time throws in that amazing two year run..

really thought back then, sanchez & ryan would be the faces of our jets for 10+ years..

Not sure why people continually fall for this.

Article Translation:  McCown is the best QB on the roster and we're not quite ready to throw in the towel.  When it's clear we're 100% not making the playoffs we'll think about getting one of the others into the game.  Until then, McCown has done nothing to lose the job and we're not about to set the precedent that after 1 bad week we give up all hope.

Archived