PFF's ranking of Jets offensive linemen through first 10 games

Sperm Edwards

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

None of Mac’s FA signings from when he had all that ceo space are worth sh*t. It’s the Idzik of FA. Unreal.

This is the issue with the Jets over the years. We need two people to do one competent person's job at the three most important positions on a football team.

QB: Chad's football mind/decision making and passion with Vinny's right arm and body(excepting the achilles)
Coach: Mangini's player evaluation+development with Rex's passion and risk taking capabilities
GM: Idzik's general handling of FA with Macc's general handling of the draft (omitting the obvious failures of both)

15 hours ago, rangerous said:

okay, we all know the oline has been underperforming but there are lots of teams that don't have stellar olinemen but decent olines.  imo when so many players of a unit are under performing this much then the problem lies with the coaching. these guys can be coached up or have their blocking schemes changed.  only johnson is truly a sub par player at his position.

I do not think they have unperformed, they have performed exactly the way a sane man would have projected them to perform, they suck and they are playing like they suck.

The offensive line is not good in fact they have been below average all season. But Shell and winters are playing through injury and that is not reflected in the Grades. 

Penalties are not a great measurement of line play when holding can be called on nearly every play and some teams get the benefit of the doubt and others do not.

center position really is the the worst of the 5. Can Dozier snap?  

Thanks for posting this, it's been relatively evident from games that the OL is below average but I don't study enough to know the issues. Very interesting that Carpenter has been such a disaster.

Almost need to draft a center this year. Probably makes sense to cut Carpenter. Not sure if FA is a legitimate option to get his replacement. Wouldn't mind drafting a guard if that'll be cheaper. Seems like they've drafted a ton of guards over the years, but just Shell at tackle since Ferguson and no centers since Mangold, with almost nothing to show for it at guard.

Tackle is the most interesting. How much validity is there to the idea that Beachum is giving you roughly average production at the most important position on the OL on a relatively reasonable contract and it's potentially worth keeping him? This is a pretty solid tackle class, I kind of like the idea of drafting a potential LT in R2 but leaving Beachum at LT, letting the rookie take the RT job, and depending on how he plays over the next couple of years switching him over to LT or leaving him at RT and finding a new LT.

This offense desperately needs some attention in the draft this year.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I do not think they have unperformed, they have performed exactly the way a sane man would have projected them to perform, they suck and they are playing like they suck.

it really only takes one guy out of the five to make them all look bad.  i'd say the main issue is johnson followed by winters.  these guys can be coached up.  put them with scarnecchia and they'd look pretty good.

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

Also worth noting that Football Outsiders has the Jets as the 31st ranked Pass Blocking team.  Running, they are 24th in Adjusted Line Yards (a weighted assessment of the line's responsibility for the success of a given running play), and 31st in Power Success, which is defined as "Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer."

So, in other words, absolutely dreadful.

right, and people think petty or hack will be fairly evaluated behind that line?  guess again.

article in today's wsj.  for what it's worth they discussed the titans and how they started to build the oline before drafting mariota and then continued to put better pieces in play afterwards.  they contrasted it with the dolts suck for luck team.maybe.  i wouldn't exactly put any titan player in canton yet and mariota hasn't made through a season yet.  the oline except for johnson is pretty much signed through 2018.  maybe that was by design.  maybe not.  in any case they need to get better.  bowles really needs to see if other players can be rotated in.

The lack of youth here is what really hurts.  OL isn't so much about 1-1 matchups, its about trusting the player next to you, and moving in synch with the whole unit.  So it very much depends on coaching, qb calls/play, etc.  It's also really hard to say where the mistakes are being made.  It might be that the LT screwed up an assignment, but its the center that looks out of place and that leaves open a stunt.

The problem here is that we don't really have longterm foundational players that will anchor the unit for years to come (you really want 2-3 of those types of young players that will be there for a decade).

Right now, i'm not sure if there is any player on that unit that will be on this team in say four years.

1 hour ago, Hael said:

The lack of youth here is what really hurts.  OL isn't so much about 1-1 matchups, its about trusting the player next to you, and moving in synch with the whole unit.  So it very much depends on coaching, qb calls/play, etc.  It's also really hard to say where the mistakes are being made.  It might be that the LT screwed up an assignment, but its the center that looks out of place and that leaves open a stunt.

The problem here is that we don't really have longterm foundational players that will anchor the unit for years to come (you really want 2-3 of those types of young players that will be there for a decade).

Right now, i'm not sure if there is any player on that unit that will be on this team in say four years.

But, but, McCown is a 15 year veteran & knows how to manipulate the snap count, get rid of the ball, move in the pocket....wait...wut?...he can't do those things to help the Oline? Ok, then again, what's the point?

Even within the a reasonable deviation for error it's bad. I thought that one under reported thing from this offseason was how the Jets went from a power blocking scheme back to a zone scheme. Carpenter is a horrible fit for this. The center Johnson is probably the worst Jets center of my lifetime as a Jets fan. Winters has been hurt as has Shell - but I think they could be good fits in the scheme eventually. Though you could argue Shell won't be. Beachum is the only piece that fits and makes sense for the long term. Pretty depressing. Nice post btw Sperm.

On 11/14/2017 at 7:53 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

@Sperm Edwards  Don't you rewind the plays and watch all our OL?   If you're still doing that this year, I'd much prefer to hear your analysis of our OL.  Or even your critique of PFF's comments.  I think Bitonti might be the other person who studies OL.  And maybe KRL (I think that's his handle)?

I used to, yes. Used to take notes on everything, but after enough times doing it and with such a sorry group of garbage, I haven't bothered in over a year.

17 hours ago, Hael said:

Brandon Shell is a long term foundational player 

I actually think Beachum and Shell have been fine.

Johnson clearly isn't a starting caliber C and needs to be replaced.

We could afford to upgrade both guards, but they're only disasters in the sense that we're paying them too much, Winters in particular. I'd bet Carpenter is replaced in the offseason...

Also, anyone who thinks this is really the "31st" ranked offensive line in the NFL doesn't watch enough other teams. Off the top of my head the Seahawks and Giants have far worse situations.

Archived