Chris Carlin, Bart Scott and Maggie Gray to replace Francesa

section314

Chris Carlin is downright painful to listen to, he basically does an imitation of Francesa- a bad imitation.  I have no idea who Maggie Gray is, I do like Bart when I have seen him on TV.  he could be interesting but Carlin getting that job is a joke.  He should be doing overnights on some station in a small town.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chris Carlin is downright painful to listen to, he basically does an imitation of Francesa- a bad imitation.  I have no idea who Maggie Gray is, I do like Bart when I have seen him on TV.  he could be interesting but Carlin getting that job is a joke.  He should be doing overnights on some station in a small town.

I agree. Michael Kay has to be a happy guy, although that show is pretty bad, too.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I like it. Consider that 99.9999% of sports radio is garbage everywhere you go in the country, so there’s not a deep well of talent to pick from. Carton being a felon was a gift from God for the FAN, now they just have to purge Boomer, Evan, and Joe. 

Actually like him, think he is the only one that is any good. Evan is toast as long as he is with Joe....a guy who makes Woody, MaC and Bowles seem like Walter Cronkite.

I can't believe Mike is returning. You'd think he would have a great advantage in negotiations if this is what they have to replace him. Can Bart Scott talk about other sports besides football? I know Carlin can, but he stinks in general. Never heard of Maggie Gray. I really hope I don't get forced to listen to Michael Kay in afternoon drives.

There has to be some bad blood between WFAN and Mike for them to not work something out. Hopefully he is going the podcast route. As much as I hate Mike at times he's a great listen and I do think he's generally fair in his analysis unless he has an axe to grind like when the Jets hired Rex.

Don't listen now, don't expect to listen to this either. Call me a sexist, but do we need a woman on any sports broadcast? What does she add? Every time I see "hot female sideline reporter X" my thought is there is a contest on the team she is covering to ...procure...one of her undergarments, except for Suzyn Waldman.

Way to go, Jarret Stoll! Did that and more with Erin Andrews. 

Let's be real(or honest as a corpulent Long Island Italian guy who falls asleep on the air might say); women are not listening to sports radio, and guys aren't watching of "The View". So why would you bother? Carlin and Scott could just easily do without whatever her name is. 

LOL, I remember saying that anyone can replace Mike on WFAN afternoons and still get top ratings. I now think WFAN is simply trying to prove me wrong. What an awful, awful selection. Surprised they didn't try to cram more Kim Jones down everyones throats... She is one of the few actually worse.

No matter what any of the haters think, losing Francessa is a catastrophe for NY sports radio and for WFAN in particular. I turned him on last night, and he was talking about successful defensive coaches versus successful offensive coaches, which I found fascinating. The man is 100% all about sports knowledge and is a far superior listen to anyone I have heard over the last 25 years in terms of good sports information. The man tells it like it is. Proof of this is in his Giants coverage, he has eviscerated the Giants this season and he is a huge Giants fan. You can hate him as much as you want, there is no better in the industry, especially on either WFAN or ESPN.

I like Bart Scott in doses when he talks football. Not sure he really adds in anything besides that. I don't really know the other two - Carlin & Gray but w/e 

I don't really listen now & I probably won't listen in the future. One thing WFAN failed at doing w/ these hires is stirring the interest of someone like myself to tune in when they start.  

Prediction: This group won’t last very long.  I give them 6 months max before WFAN tries something else.  I’m very surprised they didn’t go with a name nobody had heard of.   That’s what I was expecting but I guess Carlin is sort of like a poor man’s Francesa.  Hard to imagine Bart Scott being good in this role and I’ve never heard of the lady they’re bringing in. 

They probably should’ve brought back Mad Dog. Even though I wouldn’t have listened much, I think he’d still have gotten ratings.  Another reasonably good choice IMO would've been bringing back Sid Rosenberg (at least temporarily).  I don’t know of too many others though.  I do like Dan Patrick and Mike Greenberg of ESPN but I assume neither is available.

As much as I can’t stand Francesa at times, he’s one of the few who actually talked sports rather than mainly being an entertainer (he also has a big enough personality for such a high profile role).   It’s pathetic how rare that is in the world of sports broadcasting.  I foresee a revolving door of broadcasters in Francesa’s slot until WFAN  can figure something out.  

I actually think Mike is better without the Maddog. Less schtick. I rarely listen to sports radio anymore. If me I would get a single person someone similar to Mike, experienced maybe on the older side. I have no names maybe someone in a smaller market who does a good show. Real sports not a shock jock. Carlin isn't the worst, he's better than Kay who spends most of the time talking about himself. I don't know the woman, Bart Scott is annoying. 3 is too many, at most two. 

8 hours ago, section314 said:

Actually like him, think he is the only one that is any good. Evan is toast as long as he is with Joe....a guy who makes Woody, MaC and Bowles seem like Walter Cronkite.

Evan is the definition of white noise. The fact that he didn’t get a sniff of the morning job or Francesa’s gig is pretty telling, imo. Seems like a good guy, but he’s one-note and programmed.

6 hours ago, Bugg said:

Don't listen now, don't expect to listen to this either. Call me a sexist, but do we need a woman on any sports broadcast? What does she add? Every time I see "hot female sideline reporter X" my thought is there is a contest on the team she is covering to ...procure...one of her undergarments, except for Suzyn Waldman.

Way to go, Jarret Stoll! Did that and more with Erin Andrews. 

Let's be real(or honest as a corpulent Long Island Italian guy who falls asleep on the air might say); women are not listening to sports radio, and guys aren't watching of "The View". So why would you bother? Carlin and Scott could just easily do without whatever her name is. 

I hear you, but I’ll take a platitude-drooling woman over the worthless rap dude that the Kay show has working for them. Jesus Christ, someone is going to have to explain what value he brings to that program, other than occupying a percentage of air time that would otherwise go to Kay himself.

This is the most 2017 hire ever, in the sense that it seems like they're trying a little too hard to be diverse, possibly in an attempt to gain more listeners with Francesa leaving.  There's a lot of question marks here:  Is Bart Scott going to sound intelligent when it comes to analyzing sports other than football?  Will a 3-person afternoon show even flow well?  Will women listen to full-time sports talk, even if a woman is on the show?

6 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

This is the most 2017 hire ever, in the sense that it seems like they're trying a little too hard to be diverse, possibly in an attempt to gain more listeners with Francesa leaving.  There's a lot of question marks here:  Is Bart Scott going to sound intelligent when it comes to analyzing sports other than football?  Will a 3-person afternoon show even flow well?  Will women listen to full-time sports talk, even if a woman is on the show?

Yes, if there’s one overriding theme in 2017, it’s that America is thirsting for more diversity. 

12 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Spoiler alert; No. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Can't wait to be lectured on how the three of those idiots opinions on the Jets differ from the fanbase so, therefore, "the fans are wrong and want nothing more than to be miserable." 

The Fans picked Jamal Adams over Deshaun Watson,and Calvin Pryor over Derek Carr, and Christian Hackenberg over anybody. It's the Fans' fault they pick defense first every year. It's the Fans' fault that despite this huge expensive allocation of resources the defense nonetheless mostly sucks. The Fans hired Herman Edwards, Rex Ryan,Todd Bowles, John Idzik, Mike Maccagnan, Terry Bradway, Paul Hackeet, Brian Schotenheimer, et al. It's The Fans who have the coach and GM report to the owner rather than be part of a unified structure like real NFL teams have.  It's the Fans' fault the offense, while always very, very complicated,  is 2 runs up the middle and a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 7. That's the problem here, those terrible Fans. 

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I like it. Consider that 99.9999% of sports radio is garbage everywhere you go in the country, so there’s not a deep well of talent to pick from. Carton being a felon was a gift from God for the FAN, now they just have to purge Boomer, Evan, and Joe. 

I don't hate Joe Benigno in the right time slot (e.g. overnight) but certainly not mid morning.   One of the few guys I like at WFAN (though I'm guessing others find him boring) is Richard Neer.  

2 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Bingo!

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't hate Joe Benigno in the right time slot (e.g. overnight) but certainly not mid morning.   One of the few guys I like at WFAN (though I'm guessing others find him boring) is Richard Neer.  

Richard Neer is human melatonin.  In the late 90s I'd listen to him on weekend mornings as a surefire way to fall back asleep.

Benigno is only good when the Jets, Mets, Knicks, or Rangers lose and you want a therapeutic rant to ease the pain.  Otherwise he's pretty much a buffoon with a good memory for names and stats.

FWIW I thought Evan Roberts was the best fit out of the people being considered.  He's by far the best combination of being a real NY fan and also having professionalism.

By the way, part of WFAN's problem here is the culture of station managers nowadays.  It's all about diversity and brand names.

If they really want to find talent, they'll expand their auditions and find the people who know their stuff, and gradually let them gain a following and build their own brand.  It's not like Michael Kay is that good anyway.

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

The Fans picked Jamal Adams over Deshaun Watson,and Calvin Pryor over Derek Carr, and Christian Hackenberg over anybody. It's the Fans' fault they pick defense first every year. It's the Fans' fault that despite this huge expensive allocation of resources the defense nonetheless mostly sucks. The Fans hired Herman Edwards, Rex Ryan,Todd Bowles, John Idzik, Mike Maccagnan, Terry Bradway, Paul Hackeet, Brian Schotenheimer, et al. It's The Fans who have the coach and GM report to the owner rather than be part of a unified structure like real NFL teams have.  It's the Fans' fault the offense, while always very, very complicated,  is 2 runs up the middle and a 4 yard pass on 3rd and 7. That's the problem here, those terrible Fans. 

The saddest part is, there's a pom pom waver here who actually believes all of this.

Archived