Chris Carlin, Bart Scott and Maggie Gray to replace Francesa

section314

7 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

FWIW I thought Evan Roberts was the best fit out of the people being considered.  He's by far the best combination of being a real NY fan and also having professionalism.

By the way, part of WFAN's problem here is the culture of station managers nowadays.  It's all about diversity and brand names.

If they really want to find talent, they'll expand their auditions and find the people who know their stuff, and gradually let them gain a following and build their own brand.  It's not like Michael Kay is that good anyway.

This is getting bashed as a PC pick.  I think it’s more Carlin working his industry connections and management wanting to team him with an ex-player and one of the suits thinking Bart Scott is good on the nfl pregame shows

20 hours ago, section314 said:

I agree. Michael Kay has to be a happy guy, although that show is pretty bad, too.

Kay could dominate afternoons but he tries to make his show way too schticky which is exactly what Carlin does too and will

Just talk about sports.  Stop trying to be the next Howard Stern

18 hours ago, Bugg said:

Don't listen now, don't expect to listen to this either. Call me a sexist, but do we need a woman on any sports broadcast? What does she add? Every time I see "hot female sideline reporter X" my thought is there is a contest on the team she is covering to ...procure...one of her undergarments, except for Suzyn Waldman.

Way to go, Jarret Stoll! Did that and more with Erin Andrews. 

Let's be real(or honest as a corpulent Long Island Italian guy who falls asleep on the air might say); women are not listening to sports radio, and guys aren't watching of "The View". So why would you bother? Carlin and Scott could just easily do without whatever her name is. 

look on the bright side, it isn't suzan waldman.

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Richard Neer is human melatonin.  In the late 90s I'd listen to him on weekend mornings as a surefire way to fall back asleep.

Benigno is only good when the Jets, Mets, Knicks, or Rangers lose and you want a therapeutic rant to ease the pain.  Otherwise he's pretty much a buffoon with a good memory for names and stats.

This makes me laugh.  I can totally see how people would say that but, personally, I like a host without bombast.  Neer is just a reserved, down-to-earth guy who I enjoy listening to.  I agree w/ your comments on Benigno though.  His best work is always after a tough loss by any of the Jets/Rangers/Knicks.

9 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

FWIW I thought Evan Roberts was the best fit out of the people being considered.  He's by far the best combination of being a real NY fan and also having professionalism.

By the way, part of WFAN's problem here is the culture of station managers nowadays.  It's all about diversity and brand names.

If they really want to find talent, they'll expand their auditions and find the people who know their stuff, and gradually let them gain a following and build their own brand.  It's not like Michael Kay is that good anyway.

He seems like he's a nice guy but I just can't listening to Evan Roberts.  He seems very "forced" to me.

And I 100% agree with: "If they really want to find talent, they'll expand their auditions and find the people who know their stuff".  I assumed that's what WFAN had been doing for the past 2 years when Francesa made the announcement.  Instead we end up with retread Chris Carlin as the primary replacement.  Awful!

10 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Richard Neer is human melatonin.  In the late 90s I'd listen to him on weekend mornings as a surefire way to fall back asleep.

Benigno is only good when the Jets, Mets, Knicks, or Rangers lose and you want a therapeutic rant to ease the pain.  Otherwise he's pretty much a buffoon with a good memory for names and stats.

Neer is walking talking trytophan. If you were very hungover after a long night back then, put his show on and you could easily gets some serious zs.  

Benigno is still a radio caller with a mike.

Really wonder though if any of these guys care as much about all these sports they way they did in the beginning. People change and so do your likes and dislikes and your priorities.More often than not suspect the outrage and anger on your typical Tuesday is manufactured rather than real. And nobody can watch all these games and be a decent person to his friends and family. Though Francesa may in fact be that bad a person. 

Archived