Bills bench Tyrod Taylor

Jet_Engine1

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chip Kelly (please sign with Florida) was breaking down some Tyrod the other day.  Kid is playing good ball while the team is having a fire sale and not really playing well around him.  It’s strange timing considering they’re in the hunt but if they don’t feel he’s the future, i respect this ballsy move to be short sighted. 

Tyrod would be a great bridge QB because you could still get production and be able to properly assess your skills positions while building a core for the heir apparent. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Chip Kelly (please sign with Florida) was breaking down some Tyrod the other day.  Kid is playing good ball while the team is having a fire sale and not really playing well around him.  It’s strange timing considering they’re in the hunt but if they don’t feel he’s the future, i respect this ballsy move to be short sighted. 

Tyrod would be a great bridge QB because you could still get production and be able to properly assess your skills positions while building a core for the heir apparent. 

Bridge?  To what.  Baker mayfield would never see the filed in 3 years because bowles would be starting he guy that gives him the best chance to win.

Unless Bowles is fired there will never be such thing as a bridge QB.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Has anyone mentioned, that maybe Nathan Peterman earned his playing time, and wasn't just given the ball because he exists?  Or, do we continue to ignore the most obvious possibility in favor of conspiracy theories?

I don’t think wanting to spark a team would be considered a conspiracy theory, but I think    Your observation is valid

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’ll get the Tyrod Jersey ready

22 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

New owners and new management. Not making the playoffs in 20 years would be more of a case to continue starting Taylor. Their management has realistic expectations of their season as opposed to sticking their heads in the sand an repeating the "Extremely limited Vet gives us the best chance to win" line. 

It's a different situation.  Bills are trying to determine if they need to use a #1 pick on a QB and/or spend a boatload on a prime F/A.

The Jets already know they have to.

Watching Petty putter around the field is going to have zero impact on the Jets pursuit of a QB.    

Just now, Beerfish said:

Bridge?  To what.  Baker mayfield would never see the filed in 3 years because bowles would be starting he guy that gives him the best chance to win.

It depends if the the young QB outplays the bridge QB and stays healthy. That’s something we haven’t seen

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Has anyone mentioned, that maybe Nathan Peterman earned his playing time, and wasn't just given the ball because he exists?  Or, do we continue to ignore the most obvious possibility in favor of conspiracy theories?

Good point but I don't see how thinking they know what they have in Taylor after 2 and a half seasons starting in his 7th year playing is a conspiracy theory. In either case, Peterman was who I wanted the Jets to target last draft so I will be very interested to see how he plays. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

It depends if the the young QB outplays the bridge QB and stays healthy. That’s something we haven’t seen

Out plays?  How?  You mean like throwing a few balls around in practice?  Do you think that Goff or Wentz would be where they are today if they were not put in there in their rookie year to gain experience?

It;s pretty easy to show your stuff in practice when you are running the scout team and the starter gets all the reps.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Out plays?  How?  You mean like throwing a few balls around in practice?  Do you think that Goff or Wentz would be where they are today if they were not put in there in their rookie year to gain experience?

It;s pretty easy to show your stuff in practice when you are running the scout team and the starter gets all the reps.

I go back to Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn. Wilson outplayed Flynn by a ton and got the job

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's a different situation.  Bills are trying to determine if they need to use a #1 pick on a QB and/or spend a boatload on a prime F/A.

The Jets already know they have to.

Watching Petty putter around the field is going to have zero impact on the Jets pursuit of a QB.    

if mccown's arms & legs fall off of his body, i look forward to your inevitable deafening silence, if petty comes in & plays well..

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not sure what.  I hope a QB.  My point is, even if there is actually a cliff at the other end of the bridge, you can win with Tyrod Taylor in the meantime.  It's not like a complete waste of time like McCown/Fitz.  It's only a moderate waste of time. ;-)

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not sure what.  I hope a QB.  My point is, even if there is actually a cliff at the other end of the bridge, you can win with Tyrod Taylor in the meantime.  It's not like a complete waste of time like McCown/Fitz.  It's only a moderate waste of time. ;-)

Taylor will some games for you but he will not win a championship  and most likely will not take you to the playoffs.  I do not disagree that he is a better option than Mccown.  My issue is with how this team handles QBs.  They would much rather a medium QB who can win a few games than to play a young guy.

20 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Good point but I don't see how thinking they know what they have in Taylor after 2 and a half seasons starting in his 7th year playing is a conspiracy theory. In either case, Peterman was who I wanted the Jets to target last draft so I will be very interested to see how he plays. 

The conspiracy theory is related to the Jets keeping McCown in, for reasons other than the fact that Petty and Hack are both terrible.  We're not really talking about the Bills here......

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Taylor will some games for you but he will not win a championship  and most likely will not take you to the playoffs.  I do not disagree that he is a better option than Mccown.  My issue is with how this team handles QBs.  They would much rather a medium QB who can win a few games than to play a young guy.

I think they would play a young guy that was competent. Maybe bowles is like Jeff Fischer and Petty and hack would blossom with good coaching like Goff and even keenum. That's why I think the bigger issue is with bowles. He hasn't proven to be able to develop a young QB.

35 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I go back to Russell Wilson and Matt Flynn. Wilson outplayed Flynn by a ton and got the job

Wilson outplayed Flynn in a true quarterback competition, not the sham that Bowles and Mac presented this past offseason. 

Feel free to compare Carroll to Todd Bowles' philosophy: 

Earn everything.

The Seattle Seahawks have this saying plastered at the opening of the tunnel heading onto CenturyLink Field to symbolize the competitive environment created by coach Pete Carroll. He has consistently stated that every job on the Seahawks' roster must be earned through competition. Watching Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson duke it out, it's apparent that Carroll is adhering to this premise at the quarterback position.

Here is some info from that offseason, feel free to compare to how splits were given (forced?) to Hack instead of Petty and how McCown had the starter gig lined up before a single PS snap was played: 

1st preseason game - Flynn plays 1st half; Russell plays 2nd half

2nd preseason game - Flynn played 1st half; Russell played 2nd half

3rd preseason game - Russell plays 3 quarters; Tavaris Jackson plays 4th Q

* Russell named starter 2 days prior to 4th PS game * 

4th preseason game - Russell plays 1 Quarter (11 passes); Flynn plays 2nd and 3rd Q; Josh Portis plays 4th Q

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Wilson outplayed Flynn in a true quarterback competition, not the sham that Bowles and Mac presented this past offseason. 

Feel free to compare Carroll to Todd Bowles' philosophy: 

Earn everything.

The Seattle Seahawks have this saying plastered at the opening of the tunnel heading onto CenturyLink Field to symbolize the competitive environment created by coach Pete Carroll. He has consistently stated that every job on the Seahawks' roster must be earned through competition. Watching Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson duke it out, it's apparent that Carroll is adhering to this premise at the quarterback position.

Here is some info from that offseason, feel free to compare to how splits were given (forced?) to Hack instead of Petty and how McCown had the starter gig lined up before a single PS snap was played: 

1st preseason game - Flynn plays 1st half; Russell plays 2nd half

2nd preseason game - Flynn played 1st half; Russell played 2nd half

3rd preseason game - Russell plays 3 quarters; Tavaris Jackson plays 4th Q

4th preseason game - Russell plays 1 Quarter (11 passes); Flynn plays 2nd and 3rd Q; Josh Portis plays 4th Q

Which QB on our roster do you believe is as good, or better than Josh McCown?  For that matter, when has Todd Bowles ever not played, by far, the best QB on the roster?

Unfortunately, that QB has been Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown.  Maybe blame the guy who's stocking the cupboard?

23 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Which QB on our roster do you believe is as good, or better than Josh McCown?  For that matter, when has Todd Bowles ever not played, by far, the best QB on the roster?

Unfortunately, that QB has been Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh McCown.  Maybe blame the guy who's stocking the cupboard?

I'm not sure because we weren't given the chance to see all of the QB's up against the 1's. I am certain that Hack is not as good as McCown. I am certain that Petty is better than Hack based on his play this offseason. I am not certain that Petty isn't better than McCown this season because he wasn't given an opportunity to go up against other team's #1 defense. 

Here are the PS splits to compare vs. how Seattle handled the competition

PS Game 1: McCown 1 Drive; Hack - remainder of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Q (18/25 - 127 yards); Petty 4th Q (2/6 - 16 yards)

PS Game 2: Hack - 2 Quarters (2/6 passes - 14 yards); Petty 3rd and 4th Q (15/24 - 160 yards - INT in endzone that went through Leggett's hands)

* Up to this point I have no issues with the competition. Hack looked decent in Game 1 and should be given the opportunity to see if he could continue improving in Game 2.  HOWEVER, after DET if this were a true competition, Petty should have been given the start in Game 3 based off his performance in Game 2. Here is what they do: 

PS Game 3: Hack - First half plus final 2 minutes (12/21 - 126 yards - 1 TD/2 INT); Petty 2nd Half (15/18 - 250 yards - 3 TD's)

The difference between Seattle and us is that Wilson was given the opportunity to win the job in the 3rd preseason game based off of his play in the first 2 preseason games. Hack was force fed the opportunity and sh*t his pants while Petty wasn't given an opportunity at all. 

This just brings to light how much of a mess our front office is. Bills bring a new HC and since he was brought in, it's been about building his culture and bringing his guys and getting rid of those who don't fit. Getting picks to build the team.

And here they are currently holding a wildcard spot, potentially looking at a playoff game for the first time in 15 years and they say they'd rather evaluate their QB situation. It's crazy but I like it and that's how it should be from the start with a new HC. 

Not bring a new regime and have your owner say lets try to win this thing! Sign some good veterans to their last contract and lets push for the playoffs! Screw any future building plans. NOW is the time. Then that fails and the owner finally says aright maybe we should try to build or something. While the HC is trying not to get fired by showing a losing record. What a f'n mess. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

This just brings to light how much of a mess our front office is. Bills bring a new HC and since he was brought in, it's been about building his culture and bringing his guys and getting rid of those who don't fit. Getting picks to build the team.

And here they are currently holding a wildcard spot, potentially looking at a playoff game for the first time in 15 years and they say they'd rather evaluate their QB situation. It's crazy but I like it and that's how it should be from the start with a new HC. 

Not bring a new regime and have your owner say lets try to win this thing! Sign some good veterans to their last contract and lets push for the playoffs! Screw any future building plans. NOW is the time. Then that fails and the owner finally says aright maybe we should try to build or something. While the HC is trying not to get fired by showing a losing record. What a f'n mess. 

I just hope these last six games don't ruin TB's chance at Coach of the Year.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Actually, our rebuild is going well. we have the infrastructure to be a good team

Is Tyrod really that bad? Haven't payed much attention to him, didn't think he was. But reading Bills boards and they seem to be saying "thank god about time" "he was unwatchable". Guess he's a Sanchez type who needs everything to perfect around him for him to succeed? 

10 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I'm not sure because we weren't given the chance to see all of the QB's up against the 1's. I am certain that Hack is not as good as McCown. I am certain that Petty is better than Hack based on his play this offseason. I am not certain that Petty isn't better than McCown this season because he wasn't given an opportunity to go up against other team's #1 defense. 

Here are the PS splits to compare vs. how Seattle handled the competition

PS Game 1: McCown 1 Drive; Hack - remainder of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Q (18/25 - 127 yards); Petty 4th Q (2/6 - 16 yards)

PS Game 2: Hack - 2 Quarters (2/6 passes - 14 yards); Petty 3rd and 4th Q (15/24 - 160 yards - INT in endzone that went through Leggett's hands)

* Up to this point I have no issues with the competition. Hack looked decent in Game 1 and should be given the opportunity to see if he could continue improving in Game 2.  HOWEVER, after DET if this were a true competition, Petty should have been given the start in Game 3 based off his performance in Game 2. Here is what they do: 

PS Game 3: Hack - First half plus final 2 minutes (12/21 - 126 yards - 1 TD/2 INT); Petty 2nd Half (15/18 - 250 yards - 3 TD's)

The difference between Seattle and us is that Wilson was given the opportunity to win the job in the 3rd preseason game based off of his play in the first 2 preseason games. Hack was force fed the opportunity and sh*t his pants while Petty wasn't given an opportunity at all. 

I'm of the mindset that preseason is just one of many tools the coaching staff uses to evaluate players.  Fans are biased towards it because they think their opinion/evaluation is relevant.

My guess is that Wilson earned his reps, the whole way through training camp, practices, and meetings, something Petty failed to do, as per reports.

There is nothing that Petty or Hack can do in the last 6 weeks that would prevent me from either signing or drafting a QB this offseason. They are both under contract for next season, if there is any growth we'll see it next preseason. If playing McCown means every other position could get better for our future QB then I'm okay with that decision.

As a fan, I haven't had the privilege to see these QBs in practice so of course I'd love to see them play. 

Archived