Bills bench Tyrod Taylor

Jet_Engine1

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Actually, our rebuild is going well. we have the infrastructure to be a good team

We have no QB

We have no good LT

We have no good C

We have no bell cow RB

We have no Wr that teams have to game plan for

We have no outside pass rusher

We are very dodgy at CB

The team has good long term infra at safety, even the dline may be a hole soon.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

There is nothing that Petty or Hack can do in the last 6 weeks that would prevent me from either signing or drafting a QB this offseason. They are both under contract for next season, if there is any growth we'll see it next preseason. If playing McCown means every other position could get better for our future QB then I'm okay with that decision.

As a fan, I haven't had the privilege to see these QBs in practice so of course I'd love to see them play. 

I agree that's how it should have started off and it did and we saw what we had on offense and what it could be. But now it's week 11...guys aren't going to all of a sudden turn a page if they haven't already. So let's see what the other QBs can do and evaluate them in real game action and not in preseason with a limited amount of reps, against a bunch of guys who won't even be in the league.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We have no QB

We have no good LT

We have no good C

We have no bell cow RB

We have no Wr that teams have to game plan for

We have no outside pass rusher

We are very dodgy at CB

The team has good long term infra at safety, even the dline may be a hole soon.

wow #fakefan much

"We're on a ride to nowhere
Come on inside
Taking that ride to nowhere
We'll take that ride
Maybe you wonder where you are
I don't care"

Road to nowhere, bridge to no where, The Jets are traditionalists and will either sink or swim with their philosophy. So far they have been dog paddling in circles.

If the Jets pick up Tyrod Taylor in the off season it will be the continuation of this fine "bridge to nowhere experiment"   They will apply their patent pending Hackenberg transformation machine... "We will coach him up!"

The Bills season long blood letting experiment may blow up in their face but you have to admire them for going all-in from day one and not leading on traditional/wishful thinking. They have looked at this puzzle of how to break these decades of loosing and they are going all in. Hats off to them for risk taking.

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

After 2 losses and still with an above .500 record, Bills sit Tyrod Taylor and will start Nathan Peterman this week. Because they want to see what they have on the roster.....

Wow. 

they need to see what they have before the draft.  Very smart move.

The Jets, on the other hand, have an absolute idiot as head coach and a fool for GM.  McCown will start all 16 games because he is Bowles' guy and Bowles' has ZERO regard for the long-term future of this franchise.  

Bowles was just another terrible hire by Woody Johnson

24 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm of the mindset that preseason is just one of many tools the coaching staff uses to evaluate players.  Fans are biased towards it because they think their opinion/evaluation is relevant.

My guess is that Wilson earned his reps, the whole way through training camp, practices, and meetings, something Petty failed to do, as per reports.

I agree about the fans... no so much about the reports. I remember training camp reports saying that Petty started off badly and had very few snaps with the starters and as TC progressed he kept stealing more and more starter snaps and really picked up his game right around the DET/Giants PS games: 

FLORHAM PARK — Bryce Petty is the forgotten man of One Jets Drive. He watches most team drills, cleans up the scraps of reps, and rarely makes much — if any — impact in practice. He's clearly behind Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg in this wide-open quarterback competition, but hasn't really been given an opportunity to change that. 

Well, that was until Wednesday, when Petty put on a show. 

Receiving his most action in 11-on-11 drills to date, Petty completed 9 of 12 passes, highlighted by two long touchdowns to Robby Anderson and Frankie Hammond. He had command in the huddle, poise at the line, and made several impressive throws in addition to his scoring strikes. It was easily the best the third-year quarterback has looked in camp.

* You would think that the CS would reward Petty after this performance since this is a QB competition right? Here is the next training camp report:  

It was a good day for the quarterbacks. Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg each looked sharp. Bryce Petty didn't receive enough opportunities to make a difference one way or another. 

One thing to note here: For the second consecutive day, Hackenberg out-repped McCown (23-20). Much ado about nothing? Maybe, but worth noting. He did have less first-team reps Tuesday than he did Monday.

* Here is the next day's report: 

Christian Hackenberg out-repped Josh McCown on Monday and Tuesday. That wasn't the case on Wednesday. McCown actually received a ton — mostly all — of the reps, including those with the first-team offense. 

Here's how it broke down: 

REP COUNTER (practice): 

• Josh McCown: 37
  • Christian Hackenberg: 27 (6 first team)
  • Bryce Petty: 13

REP COUNTER (camp)

• McCown: 316
  • Hackenberg: 285
  • Bryce Petty: 185

CUMULATIVE CAMP STATS 
Josh McCown

• 132 of 202 (65 percent) | 9 TDs | 4 INTs

Christian Hackenberg

• 87 of 174 (50 percent) | 7 TDs | 5 INTs

Bryce Petty

• 69 of 111 (62 percent) | 7 TDs | 4 INTs

Petty delivered on the play of practice — and maybe of camp. On the first set of team drills, he threw a perfect deep ball down the right sideline to receiver Robby Anderson. Anderson reached out with one hand, pulled it in, then raced to the end zone. Granted, if this was a game, Anderson likely gets lit up by the safety. Still, good throw. 

Petty is clearly the No. 3 quarterback. He has virtually no shot — barring injury — of starting Week 1. He said he wants to make the most of his reps. He has, at times. That throw to Anderson was a good example. 

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I agree that's how it should have started off and it did and we saw what we had on offense and what it could be. But now it's week 11...guys aren't going to all of a sudden turn a page if they haven't already. So let's see what the other QBs can do and evaluate them in real game action and not in preseason against a bunch of guys who won't even be in the league.

As a fan, I completely agree. If the staff feels like they are not capable of that then it would be foolish to make the switch. IMO I think it would be money (ticket revenue/views) > team development if they put in an inferior QB they don't plan on backing. I'd rather invest our time in the other players at that point. I think if the QB battle was remotely close they would go with a younger guy but wasting time when the determination is "they are not the guy" doesn't accomplish much. 

9 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I agree about the fans... no so much about the reports. I remember training camp reports saying that Petty started off badly and had very few snaps with the starters and as TC progressed he kept stealing more and more starter snaps and really picked up his game right around the DET/Giants PS games: 

FLORHAM PARK — Bryce Petty is the forgotten man of One Jets Drive. He watches most team drills, cleans up the scraps of reps, and rarely makes much — if any — impact in practice. He's clearly behind Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg in this wide-open quarterback competition, but hasn't really been given an opportunity to change that. 

Well, that was until Wednesday, when Petty put on a show. 

Receiving his most action in 11-on-11 drills to date, Petty completed 9 of 12 passes, highlighted by two long touchdowns to Robby Anderson and Frankie Hammond. He had command in the huddle, poise at the line, and made several impressive throws in addition to his scoring strikes. It was easily the best the third-year quarterback has looked in camp.

* You would think that the CS would reward Petty after this performance since this is a QB competition right? Here is the next training camp report:  

It was a good day for the quarterbacks. Josh McCown and Christian Hackenberg each looked sharp. Bryce Petty didn't receive enough opportunities to make a difference one way or another. 

One thing to note here: For the second consecutive day, Hackenberg out-repped McCown (23-20). Much ado about nothing? Maybe, but worth noting. He did have less first-team reps Tuesday than he did Monday.

* Here is the next day's report: 

Christian Hackenberg out-repped Josh McCown on Monday and Tuesday. That wasn't the case on Wednesday. McCown actually received a ton — mostly all — of the reps, including those with the first-team offense. 

Here's how it broke down: 

REP COUNTER (practice): 

• Josh McCown: 37
  • Christian Hackenberg: 27 (6 first team)
  • Bryce Petty: 13

REP COUNTER (camp)

• McCown: 316
  • Hackenberg: 285
  • Bryce Petty: 185

CUMULATIVE CAMP STATS 
Josh McCown

• 132 of 202 (65 percent) | 9 TDs | 4 INTs

Christian Hackenberg

• 87 of 174 (50 percent) | 7 TDs | 5 INTs

Bryce Petty

• 69 of 111 (62 percent) | 7 TDs | 4 INTs

Petty delivered on the play of practice — and maybe of camp. On the first set of team drills, he threw a perfect deep ball down the right sideline to receiver Robby Anderson. Anderson reached out with one hand, pulled it in, then raced to the end zone. Granted, if this was a game, Anderson likely gets lit up by the safety. Still, good throw. 

Petty is clearly the No. 3 quarterback. He has virtually no shot — barring injury — of starting Week 1. He said he wants to make the most of his reps. He has, at times. That throw to Anderson was a good example. 

Certainly there were some reports of Petty having decent practices, and that didn't translate.  But, the question then is, why not?  The option being proposed is one that doesn't actually benefit the conspirators in any way.  The other option is that there's more to the evaluation than a couple of deep balls.

I understand a lot of the complaints about the roster, but I don't understand why people always clamor for a "big time" WR.

The list of SB champs in recent history includes a lot of teams without an elite #1 receiver.

I think there could be an argument made that is the most overvalued asset in pro football.

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I understand a lot of the complaints about the roster, but I don't understand why people always clamor for a "big time" WR.

The list of SB champs in recent history includes a lot of teams without an elite #1 receiver.

I think there could be an argument made that is the most overvalued asset in pro football.

If you have a true franchise QB then super high end Wr becomes less important.  You can also substitute WR for All pro Tight end ala Gronk.

The pats may not have a WR you have to game plan for bu they sure have a TE you do.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If you have a true franchise QB then super high end Wr becomes less important.  You can also substitute WR for All pro Tight end ala Gronk.

The pats may not have a WR you have to game plan for bu they sure have a TE you do.

But a true #1 WR is low on the list for us right now, even RB. It should be QB and then the OL.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

But a true #1 WR is low on the list for us right now, even RB. It should be QB and then the OL.

Yup I agree with this, this is one reason the 'tank crowd' would like to have seen us suck this year because then we could have got one of the top QBs and retain other picks to build the oline or other positions.  If we have to trade up to get a Qb it is going to cost us a lot of other draft capital.

eHYazg6wGDqYE.gif

MFW I open this thread and I don't have to make it more than a couple posts down the first page to find the Sunshine Squad questioning why the Bills would do this when they still have a .0000145% at winning the division.

You guys.

Mikey Macc KNOWS that he needs to get a QB so don't even worry about the Bills trading up.

I'm sure the Bills already know they can't trade up for one because we called dibsies.  Same reason that the teams in front of us, who desperately need one, can't take one.  

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

eHYazg6wGDqYE.gif

MFW I open this thread and I don't have to make it more than a couple posts down the first page to find the Sunshine Squad questioning why the Bills would do this when they still have a .0000145% at winning the division.

They are a 25 percent chance to go to the playoffs. This is a team that has not made the playoffs in nearly 20 years. If they had the Jets record it would make more sense. But they don’t. Which is why Bills fans are angry

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

There is nothing that Petty or Hack can do in the last 6 weeks that would prevent me from either signing or drafting a QB this offseason. They are both under contract for next season, if there is any growth we'll see it next preseason. If playing McCown means every other position could get better for our future QB then I'm okay with that decision.

As a fan, I haven't had the privilege to see these QBs in practice so of course I'd love to see them play. 

Oh give me a break. I'm sure Fitz looked great in practice last year too, the games? not so much.

3 hours ago, Pac said:

meanwhile I'm surrounded by Bills fans wondering just what in the F they're doing..  there's a reason the Bills haven't seen the postseason since the last millennium.

Tyrod Taylor has the worst deep ball accuracy in the NFL this season.  Unlike the Jets, they want to properly evaluate the QB's they have on the roster.

Meanwhile, at the bye week (the best time to make a change), the Jets announce they're still rolling a 38-year old out there.  

You have no perception whatsoever of the bigger picture.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tyrod Taylor has the worst deep ball accuracy in the NFL this season.  Unlike the Jets, they want to properly evaluate the QB's they have on the roster.

You, like many Jets fans, have no perception whatsoever of the bigger picture.  

The bigger picture is not guaranteed

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

Bowles is too conservative, I think this move is too reckless. They are still in playoff hunt; it won't hurt their chances to 'see what they have' after two more games. Also, Taylor is way better/younger than McCown.

Of course, this is McDermott's first year; the odds of getting fired are smaller. The Bills are in a different position than the Jets, and I think this move is bad. As far as the Jets, Bowles is either too stubborn for his own good, or he is playing to keep his job. Either way, he won't bench Forte for Bilal, no reason to expect him to bench McCown.

The Bills almost let Tyrod go at the outset this past offseason, before they even drafted Peterman.  They weren't committed to Taylor then and still aren't.  

New regimes always mean new QB's.  Every single time. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

They are a 25 percent chance to go to the playoffs. This is a team that has not made the playoffs in nearly 20 years. If they had the Jets record it would make more sense. But they don’t. Which is why Bills fans are angry

I know right?!  They should look at us starting McCown with our 000273646819% chance at the playoffs and think: "Gee Willikers, I wish we had Macc and Bowles :(((((("

Who the f*ck cares if the stupid Bills fans are angry?  This is one of the most drunkenly stupid fan bases in America we're talking about up there in almost-Canada.

Ownership and the front office shouldn't give 2 sh*ts about pissing off the fanbase.  If they win, in the long-term, those same fans that are b*tching will be calling them geniuses a year or 2 down the line.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who the f*ck if the stupid Bills fans are angry?  This is the most drunkenly stupid fan base in America we're talking about.

Ownership and the front office shouldn't give 2 sh*ts about pissing off the fanbase.  If they win, in the long-term, those same fans that are b*tching will be calling them geniuses a year or 2 down the line.  

IF they win in the long term. They are giving up a nice chance now for the future

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Oh give me a break. I'm sure Fitz looked great in practice last year too, the games? not so much.

Are you saying if Petty/Hack play well in the final games you are willing to ignore the QB position this offseason? I don't believe that would be a wise decision.

Archived