Will the Jets stay put - or move up in the 1st round of the 2018 draft?

ARodJetsFan

O.k. The Jets have already won 4 games - more than most experts had anticipated.

Realistically, the Jets could finish the season with anywhere between 4 and 7 wins in my estimation.

Yes I realize this is very premature, particularly since we don't even know for sure all the QB's that are coming out this year - but I can't help but wonder, particularly after the way teams jumped up in the 2017 draft looking for QB's.

Lets just play out this scenario knowing for sure, that all of the QB's that are seniors, will obviously be available in the 2018 draft

Do the Jets stay put in the first round and take the best QB available that falls to them - or do the Jets package some picks together to move up into the the top 3 picks of the first round?

Thoughts and speculation are welcome.

The only way they will even have the opportunity to trade up for Darnold or Rosen is if the Niners end up picking 1 or 2 or if both QBs refuse to play for Cleveland which is actually a possibility.

When all is said and done I don't think that Maccagnan has the guts to trade a ton of picks for a QB. He will probably stay put and pick his usual BPA which will once again be on defense and wait till round 2 to pick one of the scrap QBs like Falk or Browning.

If a shocker occurs and Maccagnan rightly gets fired who knows what will happen. This organization has never realized that without a franchise QB you are pretty much going nowhere and I would be surprised if that changes if this GM keeps his job.

6 minutes ago, Pennington said:

The only way they will even have the opportunity to trade up for Darnold or Rosen is if the Niners end up picking 1 or 2 or if both QBs refuse to play for Cleveland which is actually a possibility.

When all is said and done I don't think that Maccagnan has the guts to trade a ton of picks for a QB. He will probably stay put and pick his usual BPA which will once again be on defense and wait till round 2 to pick one of the scrap QBs like Falk or Browning.

If a shocker occurs and Maccagnan rightly gets fired who knows what will happen. This organization has never realized that without a franchise QB you are pretty much going nowhere and I would be surprised if that changes if this GM keeps his job.

your namesake was quite good when healthy and he was something like the 18th pick and after abraham and ellis.  i think you are right in that mac isn't going to mortgage the future for one guy.  if the third ranked qb is there when they pick then it's still a dilemma since the third round guy may really only be worth a 2nd or 3rd.  i don't think picks a qb in the first round unless it's one of the "can't miss" guys.  he's not going to do it just to silence the fan base.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Personally, I think it’s wonderful that the Jets are using Josh McCown and Matt Forte as a means to pay extra for something they could have had for free. 

If you like that, I could hammer one of your testes into oblivion.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

New York currently would have the No. 11 pick, likely out of position for one of the top college quarterbacks expected to be selected.

No qb of the future and we are stuck with this inept regime for another crappy year

yay

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell the Jets will by hook or by crook get a QB this off season. 

Macc is going to give McClown a 3-year extension and draft JT Barrett or Luke Falk in the third round.  We will again carry 4 qbs

Yay

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Darnold and Rosen aren't worth the cost and risk in my opinion we could do well with Mayfield Rudolph or Allen 

Mac would still have to ante up to move into a safe spot to grab one of those guys. QB’s will be in high demand and numerous teams will trade up. We could end up with no blue chip qb’s left and having to take another  safety. ?

8 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

O.k. The Jets have already won 4 games - more than most experts had anticipated.

Realistically, the Jets could finish the season with anywhere between 4 and 7 wins in my estimation.

Yes I realize this is very premature, particularly since we don't even know for sure all the QB's that are coming out this year - but I can't help but wonder, particularly after the way teams jumped up in the 2017 draft looking for QB's.

Lets just play out this scenario knowing for sure, that all of the QB's that are seniors, will obviously be available in the 2018 draft

Do the Jets stay put in the first round and take the best QB available that falls to them - or do the Jets package some picks together to move up into the the top 3 picks of the first round?

Thoughts and speculation are welcome.

We get the best corner ? waste a 2nd round pick on someone who will be the next Brian mcCown ?

13 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

New York currently would have the No. 11 pick, likely out of position for one of the top college quarterbacks expected to be selected.

I would have to think given our schedule our pick moves up from 11, but there also appear to be some teams really focusing on tanking.  In a "weak" QB draft, Watson and Mahomes went 10 and 12.

6 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We get the best corner ? waste a 2nd round pick on someone who will be the next Brian mcCown ?

I think a team that needs a QB needs to take chances until it finds one.  I don't know whether Mac would take his 30th rated player at 11 if he played QB, leaving behind a 9th rated CB.  I don't know whether he should, but he should certainly take the 15th if a QB.

I think given where the Jets are expected to pick, there will be a QB there worth taking, but I also think the better better is to take an OT or CB and pay Cousins big money for a few years.  

The Jets are too cursed to take a player like Rosen-he is too much of a head case.  I can see him doing well in the Giants family.

Darnold would be worth trading up for-all the cap space would be used for overpriced OL.  Don't know how that works out.  

Sirius NFL Radio went through the teams that need QBs.   Could be 10 or more.  Also discussed how Seattle chased QBs until they found one-smart (from Mark Sanchez' coach).  

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Darnold and Rosen aren't worth the cost and risk in my opinion we could do well with Mayfield Rudolph or Allen 

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Baker f'ing Mayfield!!!!!

I am hearing more people say Rudolph on this board. It kills me because we already have Rudolph on our team.... BRYCE PETTY is Rudolph. The Rudoloph thing needs to stop.

I don't know how anyone can say Darnold / Rosen aren't worth the risk... this is precisely the mindset that has us where we are, with no QB. At some point you have to try to get a top rated QB, if you get him and fail try again, but this whole.... lets just not take any risk and grab lower level QB's (Allen, Rudolph) is why we are playing a 38 yr old crappy QB, and have Hack and Petty on the roster. Rams, Eagles probably had fans that thought they shouldn't "risk" trading all the picks for Goff and Wentz, but they are fine with it now - I bet. I know someone will cite other examples of QB trade ups not working out, that is the risk.

To me you have to try to trade up for Rosen, or Darnold. If you can't then you better not be settling for some guy that already is on the team in Rudolph. And you better have done your homework on Jackson/Mayfield and be prepared to move up for one of them. AND I would say no way to Allen, his issues are not issues that will improve with a tougher level of competition.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:47 PM, joewilly12 said:

I believe that is the assumption the OP is making and then posing a question to you whether or not the Jets will trade up. 

In the last 8 years, Jets have had 9 first round picks. All defenders. I can't remember the last time we selected an RB in the first and I believe Santana Moss was our last WR picked in the first. He has now retired. There's a reason why we are content with Bilal Powell, a barely average RB, to be our lead back. It's because we hardly invest in the position. And we think Robby Anderson is more like Robby Gold because again, we don't invest our premium pick on skill offensive positions.

Our expectations are just extremely low. When we drafted Sanchez, two years later, our expectations went through the roof. Outside of Penningtons noodle arm and Vinny's one season, which Jets QB has played better than sanchez in recent memory? And he's the joke of the league. We've been begging to go either offense or a QB hunting LB in the first round the last 5-6 years but it seems like every new GM prefers building the same old effing DL or secondary. And we still have an average at best DL and secondary. I can't put on Mac to draft offense first. We probably will draft a corner this year and Mac will be hailed as a great BPA guy. And that will piss a lot of us off. Macc also likely gets an extension. It's the only Jetsiest thing to be done. Overpaying for below average talent. 

22 hours ago, Philc1 said:

While Macc gives McCown a $36 million extension

I know this is meant as hyperbole but Macc paid $6M for a jag QB that went 2-22 the past three seasons.

Whats it gonna cost for a QB breaking completion % records and winning 4 games with a roster that was supposed to win zero?  Probably a hell of lot more than $6M.  Plus Bowles obviously loves him.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

In the last 8 years, Jets have had 9 first round picks. All defenders. I can't remember the last time we selected an RB in the first and I believe Santana Moss was our last WR picked in the first. He has now retired. There's a reason why we are content with Bilal Powell, a barely average RB, to be our lead back. It's because we hardly invest in the position. And we think Robby Anderson is more like Robby Gold because again, we don't invest our premium pick on skill offensive positions.

Our expectations are just extremely low. When we drafted Sanchez, two years later, our expectations went through the roof. Outside of Penningtons noodle arm and Vinny's one season, which Jets QB has played better than sanchez in recent memory? And he's the joke of the league. We've been begging to go either offense or a QB hunting LB in the first round the last 5-6 years but it seems like every new GM prefers building the same old effing DL or secondary. And we still have an average at best DL and secondary. I can't put on Mac to draft offense first. We probably will draft a corner this year and Mac will be hailed as a great BPA guy. And that will piss a lot of us off. Macc also likely gets an extension. It's the only Jetsiest thing to be done. Overpaying for below average talent. 

What’s awesome is of those 9 defensive first rounders, we only have 4 on our roster.

Archived