Will the Jets stay put - or move up in the 1st round of the 2018 draft?

ARodJetsFan

On 11/16/2017 at 11:39 PM, BigO said:

Mac would still have to ante up to move into a safe spot to grab one of those guys. QB’s will be in high demand and numerous teams will trade up. We could end up with no blue chip qb’s left and having to take another  safety. ?

I agree that is going to cost more this year.  Fist, teams like SF & Ind will lose out on Barkley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Chubb, or McGlinchey if they move down.

Now let’s add Buffalo with 2 1st rounders,

Wash when they lose Cousins,

AZ who don’t have the cap space for any of the FA QBs and must find one in the draft,

Minn who with Keemun, Bridgewater, and Bradford have no QBs and are still one of the best teams in the NFC.

With Cle definitely taking one, the supply doesn’t meet the demand meaning that a bunch of teams are gonna go into next season resting their hope on McCown, Taylor, and Keemum, and a bunch of teams are going to draft QB busts in the first round.

I just hope this isn’t a replay of the 2011 draft where teams bet the future of their franchises on Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbart, and Christian Ponder based on nothing more than desperation.

IMO Darnold is the only day one starter.  Rosen and Mayfield could develop quickly.  The rest are huge question marks.

19 hours ago, j4jets said:

In the last 8 years, Jets have had 9 first round picks. All defenders. I can't remember the last time we selected an RB in the first and I believe Santana Moss was our last WR picked in the first. He has now retired. There's a reason why we are content with Bilal Powell, a barely average RB, to be our lead back. It's because we hardly invest in the position. And we think Robby Anderson is more like Robby Gold because again, we don't invest our premium pick on skill offensive positions.

Our expectations are just extremely low. When we drafted Sanchez, two years later, our expectations went through the roof. Outside of Penningtons noodle arm and Vinny's one season, which Jets QB has played better than sanchez in recent memory? And he's the joke of the league. We've been begging to go either offense or a QB hunting LB in the first round the last 5-6 years but it seems like every new GM prefers building the same old effing DL or secondary. And we still have an average at best DL and secondary. I can't put on Mac to draft offense first. We probably will draft a corner this year and Mac will be hailed as a great BPA guy. And that will piss a lot of us off. Macc also likely gets an extension. It's the only Jetsiest thing to be done. Overpaying for below average talent. 

Technically Favre for 3/4th of a season ... But agree with you ... If QB isn't the pick round 1 I'm going to shove a hot pepper up a strangers bung-hole !

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL more than that the dude must be encased in lead based paint. 

even cornier. You must be a riot at the old folk's home

7 hours ago, peebag said:

This is why removing lead from drinking water is important.

lead? taxidermy with a monocle and pee bag

On 11/18/2017 at 5:37 AM, j4jets said:

In the last 8 years, Jets have had 9 first round picks. All defenders. I can't remember the last time we selected an RB in the first and I believe Santana Moss was our last WR picked in the first. He has now retired. There's a reason why we are content with Bilal Powell, a barely average RB, to be our lead back. It's because we hardly invest in the position. And we think Robby Anderson is more like Robby Gold because again, we don't invest our premium pick on skill offensive positions.

Our expectations are just extremely low. When we drafted Sanchez, two years later, our expectations went through the roof. Outside of Penningtons noodle arm and Vinny's one season, which Jets QB has played better than sanchez in recent memory? And he's the joke of the league. We've been begging to go either offense or a QB hunting LB in the first round the last 5-6 years but it seems like every new GM prefers building the same old effing DL or secondary. And we still have an average at best DL and secondary. I can't put on Mac to draft offense first. We probably will draft a corner this year and Mac will be hailed as a great BPA guy. And that will piss a lot of us off. Macc also likely gets an extension. It's the only Jetsiest thing to be done. Overpaying for below average talent. 

And we had snacks and sheldon and got rid of them both and now have a D Line that mails it in every week. McCown > Sanchez.  But i agree with you. 

On 11/18/2017 at 6:20 PM, j4jets said:

I believe that is the assumption the OP is making and then posing a question to you whether or not the Jets will trade up. 

That's correct - I thought it was pretty self explanatory.

I'd really like to see the Jets come out of this draft with a legit starting caliber QB - no matter what the cost.

On 11/18/2017 at 7:03 AM, Pcola said:

What’s awesome is of those 9 defensive first rounders, we only have 4 on our roster.

None of whom is a shutdown corner nor an edge pass rusher. Williams is a very good player and Adams might be a good safety. But that's it. 

On 11/18/2017 at 7:02 AM, Pcola said:

I know this is meant as hyperbole but Macc paid $6M for a jag QB that went 2-22 the past three seasons.

Whats it gonna cost for a QB breaking completion % records and winning 4 games with a roster that was supposed to win zero?  Probably a hell of lot more than $6M.  Plus Bowles obviously loves him.

At a loss why they paid him a king's ransom since they could've signed him the day after the draft for pennies.Only other job McCown had been offered as far as we know was the Browns' QB coach; nobody else appears to have offered him a roster spot. Worse clear that the entire franchise, being braindead, treated this signing as one more reason to not pick Watson. 

On 11/18/2017 at 7:02 AM, Pcola said:

I know this is meant as hyperbole but Macc paid $6M for a jag QB that went 2-22 the past three seasons.

Whats it gonna cost for a QB breaking completion % records and winning 4 games with a roster that was supposed to win zero?  Probably a hell of lot more than $6M.  Plus Bowles obviously loves him.

$6m was the base if he never saw the field. It’s over $7m already and is approaching the $8m max.

But after the 2 wins over the last 3 seasons he’s won twice as many as that in the first half of this season alone. We’re twice as blessed.

I'm not really a college football fan. Does Lamar Jackson have franchise QB potential? If not, I think we should trade up. Browns should own the top pick and depending on where we land, give them our #s 1 and 2 and maybe #1 for next year and grab Rosen or Darnold. Whether the Niners go QB depends on how Jimmy G does for them. Giants have a tough decision to make. I can't think of many teams that would trade for Eli Manning given his contract, and cutting him would leave the Giants with $12.4 million in dead money next year, which they really can't afford when they have to decide whether to re-sign Pierre-Paul and OBJ. Darnold or Rosen will be expensive, and the Giants are really a good team having a bad season, so it's questionable whether they will go QB in the first round, 

Just now, Freemanm said:

I'm not really a college football fan. Does Lamar Jackson have franchise QB potential? If not, I think we should trade up. Browns should own the top pick and depending on where we land, give them our #s 1 and 2 and maybe #1 for next year and grab Rosen or Darnold. Whether the Niners go QB depends on how Jimmy G does for them. Giants have a tough decision to make. I can't think of many teams that would trade for Eli Manning given his contract, and cutting him would leave the Giants with $12.4 million in dead money next year, which they really can't afford when they have to decide whether to re-sign Pierre-Paul and OBJ. Darnold or Rosen will be expensive, and the Giants are really a good team having a bad season, so it's questionable whether they will go QB in the first round, 

I'm not a big fan of college football either but I am going to praying the Jets land Jackson in April

On 11/20/2017 at 8:07 AM, Freemanm said:

I'm not a big college football fan either.

Truth be told, I don't even start paying attention to college prospects until about a month before the draft and I have no problem admitting that.

I'm just hopeful that the Jets do whatever is necessary to come away with a LEGIT QB prospect out of the 2018 draft, as it has been said many times by a lot of people, that this is one of the deepest QB drafts in a number of years.

I think a lot will depend on free agency. But I would guess that they will stay put. Assuming all the QB's come out that are expected to, there are a lot of good prospects to choose from. Wouldn't hurt to even take two QB's in this draft.

Is there any question, really? I’d say bank on it. This is Macc’s last rodeo - he doesn’t have an answer at QB after this draft, he’s finished. He’s going leverage the city for right to grab one of the top 3 picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/16/2017 at 5:55 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

O.k. The Jets have already won 4 games - more than most experts had anticipated.

Realistically, the Jets could finish the season with anywhere between 4 and 7 wins in my estimation.

Yes I realize this is very premature, particularly since we don't even know for sure all the QB's that are coming out this year - but I can't help but wonder, particularly after the way teams jumped up in the 2017 draft looking for QB's.

Lets just play out this scenario knowing for sure, that all of the QB's that are seniors, will obviously be available in the 2018 draft

Do the Jets stay put in the first round and take the best QB available that falls to them - or do the Jets package some picks together to move up into the the top 3 picks of the first round?

Thoughts and speculation are welcome.

We've seen variations on this post the entire season.  The background theme running through the entire 2017-18 season is the QB of the 2018-19 season.  Essentially "next year can't get here fast enough" (from a football perspective). 

I do think the Jets will make a big move at QB but I have no idea who they'll go for.

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We've seen variations on this post the entire season.  The background theme running through the entire 2017-18 season is the QB of the 2018-19 season.  Essentially "next year can't get here fast enough" (from a football perspective). 

I do think the Jets will make a big move at QB but I have no idea who they'll go for.

Next year’s theme will be “2019 can’t get here soon enough”

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Is there any question, really? I’d say bank on it. This is Macc’s last rodeo - he doesn’t have an answer at QB after this draft, he’s finished. He’s going leverage the city for right to grab one of the top 3 picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac already has his answer McClown. And if Petty/Hack never ever play there will always be 40% of Jets fans and idiots in the media still saying “the jury is out”

Archived