Matt Miller (NFL draft lead writer for Bleacher Report): Jets Love Josh Allen

TuscanyTile2

I’d love him too if we get him in the 7th round.  If the Jets take him early over plenty of better options, I’ll be done with this team until Macc and Bowles are fired which with no QB will be the end of next season.

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Admittedly I don't know how seriously (if at all) to take a Bleacher Report guy but, for whatever it's worth (maybe nothing), he says the Jets love Josh Allen.

isn't allen the only senior of the darnold/rosen/allen bunch?  the reality is whatever they say now is going to be based on the best information on the qb's availability come draft time.  could also be a smoke screen.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

isn't allen the only senior of the darnold/rosen/allen bunch?  the reality is whatever they say now is going to be based on the best information on the qb's availability come draft time.  could also be a smoke screen.

He’s a junior.  The only seniors that are highly ranked QBs are Mayfield, Rudolph, Falk, and Riley Ferguson.

50 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

What is the Jets' obsession with inaccurate QBs?????

with mccagnan, i get the feeling he is always bargain shopping for qbs, unwilling to make the career-defining trade and draft capital investment in a qb that will make or break the jets and thereby his gm career.  he knows he's not getting darnold or rosen, if darnold even declares this year.  i also sense he'd rather draft a qb with the measurables and raw tools like allen, rather than a guy like mayfield who just gets it done.  i fully expect the jets not to seriously consider mayfield or jackson in the draft, b/c they're not what mccagnan wants in a pure pocket passer.  i expect mccagnan to focus on guys like falk and rudolph, non-controversial passers who can likely be had in the early 2nd round, which would allow mccagnan to draft a left tackle in the first round to continue his pursuit of singles and doubles rather than swing for the fences.  

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

What is the Jets' obsession with inaccurate QBs?????

Seriously, I am with you... wtf... accuracy rarely/never improves from college to NFL. I said it from the beginning. Since I hate Allen as a Qb prospect, that is who we will draft. 

I hope this article really means, the JETS have done the most work on him, because they are being thorough and have done much more work on other QB's... Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Jackson.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

with mccagnan, i get the feeling he is always bargain shopping for qbs, unwilling to make the career-defining trade and draft capital investment in a qb that will make or break the jets and thereby his gm career.  he knows he's not getting darnold or rosen, if darnold even declares this year.  i also sense he'd rather draft a qb with the measurables and raw tools like allen, rather than a guy like mayfield who just gets it done.  i fully expect the jets not to seriously consider mayfield or jackson in the draft, b/c they're not what mccagnan wants in a pure pocket passer.  i expect mccagnan to focus on guys like falk and rudolph, non-controversial passers who can likely be had in the early 2nd round, which would allow mccagnan to draft a left tackle in the first round to continue his pursuit of singles and doubles rather than swing for the fences.  

I kind of feel like its not just Mac it is just the JETS way. Scared to make a real effort at drafting a top QB prospect.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Because as a scout he's always looking for a find rather than taking the simple obvious "yes" for an answer . Which is how you get Adams over Watson. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Draft rumors in November are always accurate reflections of how the draft will unfold....

Jets will have 5 months from winning a pointless game in week 17(probably saving idiot Bowles' job and giving the season's highlight video a happy but completely misleading ending) to screw themselves in draft position until the draft.  And will over that 5 months  talk themselves out of a QB to instead take the "best available" defender who is not a shutdown corner nor an edge pass rusher. 

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Because as a scout he's always looking for a find rather than taking the simple obvious "yes" for an answer . Which is how you get Adams over Watson. 

I think this is strange take.  IMO, drafting Williams and Adams was an indication of taking the obvious answer.  It was keeping the $1,000 cash when you knew there was a million behind door #1,2, or 3. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Jets will have 5 months for winning a pointless game in week 17 to screw themselves in draft position to then talk themselves out of a QB to instead take the "best available" defender who is not a shutdown corner nor an edge pass rusher. 

First off they could always trade up using this years first, their 2 seconds, next years 1st etc.. When you have a chance at a franchise QB the price is rarely too high (just ask the Eagles). Second they could have a QB drop  to them that they covet more than other teams or they could always sign Cousins and there's an outside the chance the Colts will move on from Luck. 

I was one of the first ones on this board months ago calling for this team to tank for Darnold. But I am not going to be upset when kids like Adams/Mayes/Anderson/ASJ/Lee/Jenkins play better than expected and we win 6 games this year.  

I realize it's November.

Allen's arm strength is frankly absurd and he's a really good athlete. Wouldn't be surprised a bit if concerns over his completion percentage drop him a little.

The Jets won't be at the very top of the draft and have no track record of being able to develop quarterback talent.

Feels like a lock.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is strange take.  IMO, drafting Williams and Adams was an indication of taking the obvious answer.  It was keeping the $1,000 cash when you knew there was a million behind door #1,2, or 3. 

You have to take a shot on a QB. And Watson spare a few issues about accuracy was a really good bet. They do not make people any better than he is, his record was off the charts,won every place he had been, no question marks at all. In short, only a scout with his head buried in his laptop picks Adams over Watson. He was looking for reasons to do that. Because there is no way you can pick a very good safety over a great QB otherwise. When you take a step back, it's indefensible. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

You have to take a shot on a QB. And Watson spare a few issues about accuracy was a really good bet. They do not make people any better than he is, his record was off the charts,won every place he had been, no question marks at all. In short, only a scout with his head buried in his laptop picks Adams over Watson. He was looking for reasons to do that. Because there is no way you can pick a very good safety over a great QB otherwise. When you take a step back, it's indefensible. 

Beyond the indefensible, I don't think I agree.  He is a scout looking for a find, so he consistently picks high floor prospects at low value positions?  We both don't like what he is doing, but I don't see it as being a problem born from a scouting background.  

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Beyond the indefensible, I don't think I agree.  He is a scout looking for a find, so he consistently picks high floor prospects at low value positions?  We both don't like what he is doing, but I don't see it as being a problem born from a scouting background.  

TS has brought this up, and said it a few times today; the Jets' structure unfortunately allows a GM like Maccagnan to go too far into the weeds. There was nobody in the draft room asking how or why they were passing on Watson, nor to defend that. No club president, no VP of common sense. It was a horrible, awful,  idiotic franchise-breaking decision. And somewhere between Maccagnan buried in his laptop and Bowles whining about needing safeties to play HIS DEFENSE it was allowed to happen. And now as they again piss away a season (not even doing that correctly!) the Jets are right back in the same spot all over again. 

15 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Admittedly I don't know how seriously (if at all) to take a Bleacher Report guy but, for whatever it's worth (maybe nothing), he says the Jets love Josh Allen.

And so begins the pre-draft misdirection. This FO has always played their cards close to their vest. They have their eye on someone, but I am fairly certain it is not Josh Allen.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

TS has brought this up, and said it a few times today; the Jets' structure unfortunately allows a GM like Maccagnan to go too far into the weeds. There was nobody in the draft room asking how or why they were passing on Watson, nor to defend that. No club president, no VP of common sense. It was a horrible, awful,  idiotic franchise-breaking decision. And somewhere between Maccagnan buried in his laptop and Bowles whining about needing safeties to play HIS DEFENSE it was allowed to happen. And now as they again piss away a season (not even doing that correctly!) the Jets are right back in the same spot all over again. 

He looks like a stud and hopefully he will come back the same after the ACL tear but he did have questions surrounding how he'd be able to transition to the NFL. Him being the 3rd QB off the board and being passed over by multiple QB needy teams seems to confirm that. 

Archived