Matt Miller (NFL draft lead writer for Bleacher Report): Jets Love Josh Allen

TuscanyTile2

29 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

And so begins the pre-draft misdirection. This FO has always played their cards close to their vest. They have their eye on someone, but I am fairly certain it is not Josh Allen.

WE can only hope.

23 hours ago, Bugg said:

TS has brought this up, and said it a few times today; the Jets' structure unfortunately allows a GM like Maccagnan to go too far into the weeds. There was nobody in the draft room asking how or why they were passing on Watson, nor to defend that. No club president, no VP of common sense. It was a horrible, awful,  idiotic franchise-breaking decision. And somewhere between Maccagnan buried in his laptop and Bowles whining about needing safeties to play HIS DEFENSE it was allowed to happen. And now as they again piss away a season (not even doing that correctly!) the Jets are right back in the same spot all over again. 

I think there was an obvious case of groupthink in our draft room.  You know for a fact that Bowles loves Adams and Maye.  So when Macc brought it up, Bowles was ecstatic.  They’ve been patting each other on the back ever since.

I hope you’re right about the misdirection.  It was known well before the draft that the Jets really liked Hack.  Anyone paying attention, knew when we were on the clock that Hack was going to be the pick.

My fear is that Macc signs McCown/T. Taylor, makes them the 2018 starter so he won’t have to go all in on a QB in the first.  That would allow him to make the same mistake by taking Allen in the second round.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

My fear is that Macc signs McCown/T. Taylor, makes them the 2018 starter so he won’t have to go all in on a QB in the first.  That would allow him to make the same mistake by taking Allen in the second round.

1. Allen is projected to go in the first round though. He might not make the second.

2. As long as Macc addresses the long term issue at QB, I don’t care what he does. McCown would not address that. Taylor is interesting

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It seems to me that Allen is better reviewed coming out of college than  Hackenberg was , so I dont think he’s Hackenberg 2.

As for competition, The Mountain West has had some solid QBs come out of it. Kaepernick came from Nevada, Derek Carr came from Fresno State

so-it-begins-gif-3.gif

The conclusion of the article is a little misleading. Just because the Jets are putting in the most time scouting him doesn't mean they love him but are actually doing an extreme amount of vetting on all QB prospects this year, as they da** well better be! I can't believe even the Jets would be so clueless to think of Allen as a top prospect as I see him as a marginal prospect with barley a draft-able grade. 

The QB prospect that stands far above the class to me is Baker Mayfield of Oklahoma and he is ready to come in and start right away IMO. The problem for the Jets is that they lack competent OL play, a position they desperately need to upgrade next year. My first FA priority would be at center where they need to spend whatever it takes to bring in a top notch veteran who could stabilize the line and be a valuable mentor for a first year QB. If the Jets pick between 8-10 next year Mayfield should still be on the board avoiding a need to move up. I predict at the combine the two "Josh's"  (Allen and Rosen) will wow several GMs throwing indoors in shorts, showing off their big arms and will move to the top of some boards. It happens every year.......

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It seems to me that Allen is better reviewed coming out of college than  Hackenberg was , so I dont think he’s Hackenberg 2.

As for competition, The Mountain West has had some solid QBs come out of it. Kaepernick came from Nevada, Derek Carr came from Fresno State

Kaepernick is available.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:22 AM, Augustiniak said:

with mccagnan, i get the feeling he is always bargain shopping for qbs, unwilling to make the career-defining trade and draft capital investment in a qb that will make or break the jets and thereby his gm career.  he knows he's not getting darnold or rosen, if darnold even declares this year.  i also sense he'd rather draft a qb with the measurables and raw tools like allen, rather than a guy like mayfield who just gets it done.  i fully expect the jets not to seriously consider mayfield or jackson in the draft, b/c they're not what mccagnan wants in a pure pocket passer.  i expect mccagnan to focus on guys like falk and rudolph, non-controversial passers who can likely be had in the early 2nd round, which would allow mccagnan to draft a left tackle in the first round to continue his pursuit of singles and doubles rather than swing for the fences.  

I agree 100% with this which is why I would dump both

4 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Allen is projected to go in the first round though. He might not make the second.

2. As long as Macc addresses the long term issue at QB, I don’t care what he does. McCown would not address that. Taylor is interesting

When Allen started being mentioned as a first round QB prospect, it was based on the projection of him elevating his play to another level.  He has not done that.  He has had multiple games where he has passed for less than 100 yards.  He also has more games this year with under 50% completion than he has over 60%.  Carr and Kaep were statistically in another league than Allen is currently.

Now I am not saying completion percentage is the be all end all, but with a QB like Drew Lock who has one of the highest YPA, you can tell he throws deep a lot hence hurting his completion percentage.  Allen is just an inaccurate QB.  He should stay for his senior year.  But if he declares, He needs to be drafted on the third day and stashed as a 3rd stringer for multiple seasons where he can learn to be a QB.

He isn’t going to step in and help an NFL team win games any time soon.  The Jets do not have that luxury.  They are going to need someone to be ready at some point next season.

I know we are desperate for an solution but reaching for Allen because Macc failed to move up for Darnold or Rosen, or even Mayfield, would make matters worse.  Because similar to why we (allegedly) passed on Mahomes and Watson, because we had just drafted Hack.  Taking Allen in the top 64 next year will keep us without a QB for another 2 seasons unless we clean house next year.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:20 AM, Bleedin Green said:

Meh, not sure I get being too riled up about any of this at this stage.  Quite frankly, the Jets should be putting in the most work for every QB prospect.

No stone should be left unturned in this quest. It is VITAL to the future of the franchise AND the fan base. 

Archived