Mariota four interceptions last night

Philc1

I do. 

He had a horrible night, against a good defense, in a game which they couldnt run the ball at all (2.5 ypc), on a short week, on the road at one of the most difficult venues to play in the league.

The Titans did just win 4 in a row...

"What have you done for me lately," eh Phil?

I try not to judge young players on one poor game vs one of the best defenses in the league. I never thought he is a top tier qb but I would certainly start him over any qb that we have...he is good enough make a decent team a contender but he isn't going to singlehandedly win a Superbowl or something.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Do people still consider this guy good?  8tds and 10 ints with a 79 qbr for the season despite having the league’s best O-line in front of him 

not the best oline in the league. lol. The titans OC is awful. Mariota may not be a top 5 QB but he is a top QB. Wo says we can't draft Jackson based on people that like Mariota... trolling hard here, huh

People literally wanted to kill Jets QBs in these circumstances.   This is why it is hard to develop as a QB in NY/NJ.  

Every other QB who is young is afforded significant grace and the obvious need to be surrounded by quality talent.  

Jets fans and coaches; “so and so is supposed to elevate the players around him” or the recent favorite “he played in four or five games and so we know all about his ceiling and development “

it is a joke and unfortunately the joke is on us. :( 

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I just think it’s funny the posters who say we can’t draft Lamar Jackson because he’s a running qb also love this guy and are already calling him a franchise qb

Which posters are you referring to?

There were only two posts and I haven't said one word about Lamar Jackson because I haven't seen him play a single snap.

When I do attempt to study him, I will certainly make my opinion known on the board.

I don't think we should put too much stock into Thursday night games especially when the road team plays poorly. (particularly after what we saw in our last 2 games). I do think Mariota had a higher floor coming out than Jackson has. I think Jackson really has the potential to Boom or Bust, it would not shock me that he becomes a great player but it would not shock me if he fizzles out in 4 years. 

Mariota Comp % = 66.8 over 3 years

Jackson Comp % = 57.2 over 3 years

This year for Jackson his receivers have dropped the ball a lot so that should be higher but I think that also helps support his high ceiling and low floor.

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Which posters are you referring to?

There were only two posts and I haven't said one word about Lamar Jackson because I haven't seen him play a single snap.

When I do attempt to study him, I will certainly make my opinion known on the board.

I will save you the time regarding Jackson. He is a very inaccurate passer who makes plays with his legs. He will get destroyed playing like he does in the NFL.

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I just think it’s funny the posters who say we can’t draft Lamar Jackson because he’s a running qb also love this guy and are already calling him a franchise qb

What I find funny is if McCown had Mariota's numbers he would be crucified even worse than he already is. McCown, playing behind a bad OL has 14TD's and 8 INT's with a 94 QBR, and thrown for 2250 yds with a completion % of 69.  The franchise QB who was picked 2nd overall in 2015 has numbers of 8 TD's 10 INT's and a 80 QBR, has thrown for 2100 yds with a completion % of 63. I get that stats don't tell the whole story and I haven't seen Mariota that much but it's possible Mariota may be a bit overrated by some. 

The OP wasn't killing Mariota for one day, rather pointing out that his season stats this year aren't even average. Does that make him a bust? No. Throughout the league Mariota is considered an up and coming young player.

If he were in NY, or these were Petty or Hackeneberg numbers he'd be considered a bust. Eli was getting killed by NY media and Giants fans for his first 4 years. 

NY/NJ....

19 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I never liked Mariota and still think he sucks. I will admit that i wanted to trade up for Winston but I wanted no part of Mariota. It is my belief that running QBs like Mariota and Jackson aren't very good.

Well they are very good, but they are usually very good because of their legs. That leads to two problems, 1- they get hurt more often, 2- They don't have long careers because once the legs go you realize they aren't great pure pocket passers. 

With that said, you can win a super bowl with guys like that. Russell Wilson. Cam almost won one. 

So if we can't sign/trade for a QB and we can't move up to take Darnold/Rosen in the top 5, then a guy like Jackson, while imperfect isn't an awful option. 

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well they are very good, but they are usually very good because of their legs. That leads to two problems, 1- they get hurt more often, 2- They don't have long careers because once the legs go you realize they aren't great pure pocket passers. 

With that said, you can win a super bowl with guys like that. Russell Wilson. Cam almost won one. 

So if we can't sign/trade for a QB and we can't move up to take Darnold/Rosen in the top 5, then a guy like Jackson, while imperfect isn't an awful option. 

Russell Wilson while being mobile is and always has been a very good and accurate passer. The comparison between him and the likes of Mariota and Jackson are way off base. Wilson is a more athletic Drew Brees. 

This fan base has gotten so used to terrible QB play that most of it is willing to settle for mediocrity. I for one want a legitimate franchise QB and to me that means a guy that can be one of the top 10 QBs in the league at the very least. Mariota has never been that guy and neither will Jackson.

Darnold and Rosen both have that upside and that is why I wanted this team to lose enough to land one of them. By winning this many games we will probably go back to the scrap heap once again or overdraft a stiff like Jackson or Falk.  

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I don’t see what one has to do with the other.  They are totally different prospects and Mariota was a prolific passer who threw more than he ran.  Total opposite with Jackson.  The better comparison and one I was making this offseason is Deshaun Watson.  Prolific passer who could run.  They literally look like the same player when you look at them side by side obviously Watson having a special IT factor Mariota will never have. 

That said, he’s a good young QB.  I’d love to have him. He typically doesn’t turn it over like that but sh*t happens.  Big Ben threw 5 earlier this year vs the Jags, at home.  Plus Thurs night games suck. 

57 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

People literally wanted to kill Jets QBs in these circumstances.   This is why it is hard to develop as a QB in NY/NJ.  

Every other QB who is young is afforded significant grace and the obvious need to be surrounded by quality talent.  

Jets fans and coaches; “so and so is supposed to elevate the players around him” or the recent favorite “he played in four or five games and so we know all about his ceiling and development “

it is a joke and unfortunately the joke is on us. :( 

Idk we suffered through Sanchez doing this sh*t on the reg and people here still think he’s good and the Jets are dumb for letting him go.

I think this shows the folly of trying to write the book on a guy - good or bad - before he's spent a good amount of time in the league.

Winston and Mariota looked good early on, and both are having some tougher times this year. Doesn't mean they're not good anymore, but also means that their early success is no indicator they'll get over the hump. A couple of years back Blake Bortles looked like he was going to be "the guy" in Jax ... now he's on the verge of being replaced.

It's also why I still take a pinch of salt as people rave about Goff and Wentz - yes they're doing really well this year, Wentz was good last year too, but it's no guarantee that their teams are "set" at QB.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Do people still consider this guy good?  8tds and 10 ints with a 79 qbr for the season despite having the league’s best O-line in front of him 

Yes. I still do. Bad game last night. But he passes the eye test. He's accurate, doesn't focus on 1 WR, spreads the ball around, and he's mobile. He also has the mental makeup to be a very good (if not great) QB.

4 hours ago, Pennington said:

I never liked Mariota and still think he sucks. I will admit that i wanted to trade up for Winston but I wanted no part of Mariota. It is my belief that running QBs like Mariota and Jackson aren't very good.

Is he a running QB?  He only had about 30 rushing attempts in his rookie year and about 60 last year.  Ryan Fitzpatrick had 60 in 2015.  Is he a running QB, too? 

And Mariota is better than Winston.

45 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Is he a running QB?  He only had about 30 rushing attempts in his rookie year and about 60 last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick had 60 in 2015.  Is he a running QB, too? 

LOL, can't to here the answer for this one

59 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Is he a running QB?  He only had about 30 rushing attempts in his rookie year and about 60 last year.  Ryan Fitzpatrick had 60 in 2015.  Is he a running QB, too? 

I didn't realize that he wasn't running all that much but he is as skittish in the pocket as he has always been and just isn't any good. I would take him over the garbage we have but Mariota is not leading a team to a championship.

Mariota is not a franchise QB and that is what you hope to get with a top 5 pick. He can win if the talent around him is superb but he isn't leading a team to the top. 

Again if the goal is just to be better than what we have now Mariota qualifies for that but if the goal is to find a top notch QB to lead this franchise to a championship Marcus Mariota has never been that guy and likely never will be.

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

there's a difference between a running qb and a mobile qb.  a running qb is like vick who could and would take off at any time.  as you said, the legs start going and they're not so good pocket passers.  then there are mobile qb's who are more like mariota or rogers, and even rothlisberger at times.  these guys can pressure defenses because they use their legs to move around and avoid the pass rush to gain throwing time.  wilson is a mobilie qb.  so is newton.

i don't know a thing about this jackson fellow.  if he can't pass then the jets should pass.

8 hours ago, Pennington said:

I've never really been a fan of Mariota either and I was glad the Jets didn't draft him.  He's better than what we have but I don't think he's good enough to win a SB.  I wouldn't have objected had we traded up for Winston though I think it's still unclear if Winston will be good or not.

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Your trend of picking a weekly QB to sh*t on, while attempting to ferret out some pre-dated affinity for said QB - is getting old. 

How about we worry about our own empty iron throne. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've never really been a fan of Mariota either and I was glad the Jets didn't draft him.  He's better than what we have but I don't think he's good enough to win a SB.  I wouldn't have objected had we traded up for Winston though I think it's still unclear if Winston will be good or not.

Winston has all the talent to be great but he is a complete knucklehead if not a flat out felon.

Archived