FREE AGENT dept. - which jets free agents are keepers ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long term extension to asj and dd as long as Davis is reasonable. I would also try to get ealy on a long term deal but I have a feeling he is going to be unreasonable. Claiborne I would love to have back on either a short term maybe 2 year deal or a longer deal with nothing guaranteed past two years because his injury history scares me

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

ok,.. if - if.. they're reasonable...  

Josh McCown - 1 yr.

Morris Claiborne - 2 yrs.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - 3 or 4 yrs. 

Demario Davis - 3 or 4 yrs. 

Chandler Catanzaro - 1 yr. 

Kony Ealy - 3 or 4 yrs.  ( i doubt kony is gonna be " reasonable " )  

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

9 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Long term extension to asj and dd as long as Davis is reasonable. I would also try to get ealy on a long term deal but I have a feeling he is going to be unreasonable. Claiborne I would love to have back on either a short term maybe 2 year deal or a longer deal with nothing guaranteed past two years because his injury history scares me

Davis is 29 by the end of the season. Its about time the wheels fall off.

Just now, bealeb319 said:

He played okayish his first run with us and not every player can be young

He didn't play well. And I never said every player needs to be young. I am stating that he is going to be 29. Thats not that young. Its my argument against the people in this thread saying to give him a "long" term deal.

He didn't play well. And I never said every player needs to be young. I am stating that he is going to be 29. Thats not that young. Its my argument against the people in this thread saying to give him a "long" term deal.

4 years equals a long term deal with the last one having no guarantee even a 5 year with the last two not guaranteed. No one wants to commit guaranteed money to a 32 year old but it would be nice to have the option of he is still playing good which he could be.

14 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

4 years equals a long term deal with the last one having no guarantee even a 5 year with the last two not guaranteed. No one wants to commit guaranteed money to a 32 year old but it would be nice to have the option of he is still playing good which he could be.

agreed !.. he's a " keeper "  ;)

17 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

I don't think a 29 yr old Davis has 3 years of this seasons level of production in him.

saw this..

~ ~  2. Assessing the free agents-to-be: The Jets have five starters eligible for free agency, plus a couple of key backups. In other words, Maccagnan has some work to do. Here's how I'd rank them :

MLB Demario Davis: He hasn't garnered much attention, but Davis is having a Pro Bowl-caliber season. He rededicated himself in the offseason, and you can see the difference in his play. He's the quarterback of the defense, and it would be wise to re-sign him. He'll be 29 next season, so the Jets have to be careful with the amount of guaranteed money. If they are smart, they will get it done sooner rather than later.

QB Josh McCown: This is a tricky one. He'd be the ideal mentor/bridge if they use a high pick on a quarterback (where have we heard that before?), but he could get squeezed out if they make a play for one of the top free agents. How they handle McCown, 38, will reveal a lot about their offseason plan. From all indications, he wants to continue playing.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins: He feels indebted to the Jets because they pulled him off the scrap heap, but business is business. Come free agency, he'll be looking for the best deal. He's probably looking at an average salary of $6 million to $7 million per year, including a guarantee in the $9 million to $10 million range. I'm basing that off 2017 deals for Dion Sims, Jack Doyle and C.J. Fiedorowicz. Seferian-Jenkins is a player you want to bring back because the Jets' other pass-catching tight end, rookie Jordan Leggett, will be starting from square one after knee surgery.

CB Morris Claiborne: He plays at an above-average level, but you have to proceed with caution because he won't be there for 16 games. The ideal situation would be another one-year contract.

DE Kony Ealy: He was a nice waiver-wire addition, but do you want to make a long-term commitment? Probably not. No one disputes Ealy's talent -- he's a pass-swatting machine -- but he tends to play outside the structure of the defense. He's another player you'd like to have back on a one-year deal.

C Wesley Johnson: The Jets will look for an upgrade at center. Johnson has value as a backup, and it helps that he can play guard, too.

PK Chandler Catanzaro: Sure, why not ?

WR Jeremy Kerley: It was a good move to bring him back, but it's time to create opportunities for the younger receivers.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/72943/jets-gm-gets-a-very-up-close-look-at-sam-darnold-josh-rosen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kelly said:

Jets must find way to bring Austin Seferian-Jenkins back next year http://s.nj.com/yjLdD6V

I think it would be a mistake to let him go especially before we get a QB in here. I'd be tickled pink if we could sign him to a 3 year $21M deal, I'd go 5 years if he was willing to do it but I think he'd like the opportunity to cash in if he continues to improve after those 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

New York Jets: Josh McCown + Rookie Quarterback

8 OF 10

49d781adc1dc4402353c241bae244d58_crop_ex
Dustin Bradford/Getty Images

I think the New York Jets are in the conversation for a quarterback with the sixth overall pick. They might even trade up in order to secure the long-term answer they need.

New York, however, should bring back veteran Josh McCown and make him the starter going into training camp. The last thing the Jets need is to rush a rookie onto the field before he is ready. They can still win games with McCown while allowing the signal-caller of the future to develop.

A lot of people were impressed with McCown last year. He still has a strong arm, he's a better athlete than people give him credit for being, and he has years of experience under his belt. He helped keep New York in the playoff picture far longer than anyone expected.

New York can continue building its roster while McCown leads the offense. That will allow the Jets to throw their new franchise quarterback into the mix when—and only when—he's ready.

Archived