" Jets GM is one move away from greatness or utter failure ".. ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes finding a franchise QB is the most important thing but this idea that Maccagnan has been great other than his terrible QB selections is way off base. This GM has done a terrible job overall and its why we have one of the worst rosters in the league after 3 seasons. There is no reason to trust him to find us a great QB and there is no reason why he should keep his job once this season ends.

1 minute ago, Pennington said:

Yes finding a franchise QB is the most important thing but this idea that Maccagnan has been great other than his terrible QB selections is way off base. This GM has done a terrible job overall and its why we have one of the worst rosters in the league after 3 seasons. There is no reason to trust him to find us a great QB and there is no reason why he should keep his job once this season ends.

I agree an all QB points made. He should be criticized for Petty/Hack picks, the Fitz deal, and Skrines deal but he should be also praised for trading a 6th round pick for Fitz, trading a 5th round pick for Marshall, getting a 2nd round pick and Kearse for Sheldon, finding Anderson as an UDFA, picking up ASJ on waivers, . As much as people hate his first 2 years you have to like the fact that all those contracts were built to get out of after 2 years, Skrine and Carpenter being the exception. You can hate the Mo extension but he built an out for us after this season in the event we wanted to decide between Mo or Sheldon. There's more that goes into the job than just the draft but ultimately Macc needs to hitch himself to a QB which I believe he has set us up to do this offseason.

29 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Yeah, we should fire him because there is nothing better for an organization that constantly starting over. It's certainly worked wonders for the this franchise....

The man scrounged up a team of misfit veterans to make the playoffs and then they didn't make the playoffs. Then he abandoned a season in March and asked season ticket holders to pay for it because they were totally tanking for a top pick, of which we are now not getting.

But yeah, sure, he's just one move away.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The man scrounged up a team of misfit veterans to make the playoffs and then they didn't make the playoffs. Then he abandoned a season in March and asked season ticket holders to pay for it because they were totally tanking for a top pick, of which we are now not getting.

Waht about when he got Kearse tho

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Personally, the thing I am looking forward to most is next year when we extend McCown to tutor Allen. Because hey, we had the cap space anyways and Allen needs some seasoning behind a vet so he can learn leadership.

i think that decision would be generally lauded, that's how you groom a young qb.  then you'd have to finally get rid of at least petty or hack if not both.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

And why am I so sure that we are drafting Allen? I'll tell you why, it's because of this quote:

"He’s tall, athletic and has a huge arm, and everyone makes excuses for him."

Now THAT sounds like our type of guy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/josh-allen-wyoming-2018-nfl-draft-top-small-school-prospects

maybe mccagnan has learned you can't draft a qb based on measurables.  i'd be more concerned if the jets weren't doing their due dilligence on every draft eligible qb.  

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, we should fire him because there is nothing better for an organization that constantly starting over. It's certainly worked wonders for the this franchise....

Well until we can fire the owner, we might just be spinning our wheels. 

But it's become abundantly clear we need to change the entire process of how we do things here.  We need ownership as far away from touching the football operations as possible.  We need a VP who takes over the entire football operations, perhaps hiring a right hand man as his "Head of Personnel" or what have you.  And those 2 need to hire the coach.

This whole "GM and HC both report to the owner" concept only works if the ownership is competent.  Ours is not. 

So yeah, we do need to start all over again.  Because we have to keep trying until we get the whole program in some working order.  Right now, its dysfunctional. 

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Personally, the thing I am looking forward to most is next year when we extend McCown to tutor Allen. Because hey, we had the cap space anyways and Allen needs some seasoning behind a vet so he can learn leadership.

TFW a GM is entering his 4th offseason and the team is no closer to a championship than they were when he arrived

justin-timberlake.gif

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

maybe mccagnan has learned you can't draft a qb based on measurables.  i'd be more concerned if the jets weren't doing their due dilligence on every draft eligible qb.  

Maybe the GM whose name I can never spell right has also learned that smothering himself in peanut butter helps prevent sunburn and attract stray dogs. Who gives a sh*t. Wild speculation and these grand theories about everything serve no purpose. Record. Quarterback. That's all that matters. Everyone likes a winner and nobody likes a loser except for some bizarre reason Jets fans on the Internet. We are a losing franchise under this yokel and he has shown absolutely nothing that should lead you to the belief that he should be making anymore decisions with respect to quarterbacks, or linemen, or defensive players, or any draft picks or free agency contracts whatsoever.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Maybe the GM whose name I can never spell right has also learned that smothering himself in peanut butter helps prevent sunburn and attract stray dogs. Who gives a sh*t. Wild speculation and these grand theories about everything serve no purpose. We are a losing franchise under this yokel and he has shown absolutely nothing that should lead you to the belief that he should be making anymore decisions with respect to quarterbacks, or linemen, or defensive players, or any draft picks or free agency contracts whatsoever.

and yet, he's the gm for the foreseeable future.  so i'm going to assume he's learned his lessons here, until after the draft when i get cranky again.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good QBs play. Not good QBs don't. This notion of grooming and seasoning is bad. And you should feel bad.

Yep. 

Brett Hundley has sat under Aaron Rodgers for the last several years and is hot garbage. 

Scott Tolzien sat under Luck and they replaced him with Jacoby Brissett, a Brady mentor, who also sucks. 

No backup QB under Brady has done sh*t. 

The Broncos "groomed" Brock Osweiler under Peyton Manning.  Despite a 4-1 record when Peyton got hurt, Elway said "No thanks".  Then Osweiler failed at 2 other stops before coming back to the Broncos on the cheap. 

Starting QB's don't spend much time trying to make sure their replacement ends up better than them.  Sure, they show them the process, but they're focused on winning on Sunday's, not making sure a franchises' future at QB is secure.  In their minds, they're gonna play at a high level forever, and ARE the future. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Don't forget he structured the Revis deal so that we would only have to pay him $6M to sit on his couch this year.  #savvycontract

I think “he’s great at getting out of the terrible contracts he signs” is my favorite Maccagnan defense.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Its much better to keep a guy that has shown that he isn't good at his job because the next guy "could be worse". How about we hire John Dorsey who is a proven winner and finally get this franchise headed in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Macc is fine, except at QB. JMO.

Where is the impact talent on this roster. Why after 3 years is this still one of the least talented teams in football. Its because this GM is not good at his job but lets waste another couple of years with this clown.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Checkmate

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

You can't measure completion percentage?

53 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

^ Words straight from the Palpatine playbook.

Oh, that's from Star Wars.  I learned that in the Yankees thread!

On November 17, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Pennington said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a starting QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

3 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

Holy sh*t.  

So, this is why they fired Chan Gailey? 

30 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Where is the impact talent on this roster. Why after 3 years is this still one of the least talented teams in football. Its because this GM is not good at his job but lets waste another couple of years with this clown.

I don’t agree that it’s oneofthe least talented teams in football.

We’re missing a QB. And need help on the Oline and CB. That’s it.

32 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

Because it's the GM, and it's his job.  The GM puts his name to every pick.  He has to weigh the scouts' opinions and the needs of the franchise.  "The buck stops here" is a useful phrase to reference here.

Pinning the blame on Bowles is absurd.  He doesn't have time to scout college players AND simultaneously coach the team.  The GM, in general, supplies the HC with the groceries.  The HC can provide input on what he needs (hence the Darron Lee pick), but the GM still has to be the one to get the talent.  

Archived