" Jets GM is one move away from greatness or utter failure ".. ? ? ?

kelly

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because it's the GM, and it's his job.  The GM puts his name to every pick.  He has to weigh the scouts' opinions and the needs of the franchise.  "The buck stops here" is a useful phrase to reference here.

Pinning the blame on Bowles is absurd.  He doesn't have time to scout college players AND simultaneously coach the team.  The GM, in general, supplies the HC with the groceries.  

Save some of this spam for the "Macc signs a 4 year extension" thread.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think “he’s great at getting out of the terrible contracts he signs” is my favorite Maccagnan defense.

Woody basically admitted he's finally backing off and letting Macc do his thing.  Enjoy the process, yo.

We should be hearing about that extension in a month or so.

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don’t agree that it’s oneofthe least talented teams in football.

We’re missing a QB. And need help on the Oline and CB. That’s it.

No QB, you don't win with no QB

Oline as in about 3 of them

At least one CB

REeigers are medicore

RB's are old or injury plagued

The D-line has massively under performed and could horrifyingly be a position  of need next year if we deep six mowilk.

Now, if you get a great great Qb he can make up for a lot of the other problems on a team.  The biggest sin of this regime to me is ignoring the oline as far as young good players and the effect of that is going to be the David Carr syndrome next year when we draft a QB high.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's 7 positions of 22 that you just referenced.  And QB, O-Line, and CB are 3 of the 4 most important.  

The other important position you missed?  Edge rusher.  We don't have that either.  So he's 0/4.  

It's cool that we have plenty of ILB's, interior D-Line, safeties, and a couple nice RB's.  But those positions don't make much difference in the long run if you're not set at the others.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because it's the GM, and it's his job.  The GM puts his name to every pick.  He has to weigh the scouts' opinions and the needs of the franchise.  "The buck stops here" is a useful phrase to reference here.

Pinning the blame on Bowles is absurd.  He doesn't have time to scout college players AND simultaneously coach the team.  The GM, in general, supplies the HC with the groceries.  The HC can provide input on what he needs (hence the Darron Lee pick), but the GM still has to be the one to get the talent.  

But Bowles scouted Hackenberg. And what you describe is a conventional GM that hires his own HC.

Macc and Bowles work together, with each other for each other.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

I feel like your allegiance to the Ilk has been fading over time.  I urge you to consider walking into the light.  Set yourself free.

My feelings on Macc doing a terrible job are pretty well documented.  I'm just not on board with the irrational hatred of Bowles.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Link?

You can't be serious ....

How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg

By Kalyn Kahler 
May 06, 2016

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.

“The word that comes to mind is intensity, just the level of intensity that they wanted to make sure it was kept extremely quiet and that nobody knew it was going to happen,” says Noel LaMontagne, Rosa’s business partner at Compass Sports Advisors.

Mired in a contract stalemate with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets’ front office didn’t want the New York media to anoint Hackenberg as the franchise’s lifeline. On April 10, two weeks after the initial call, general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, and two scouts drove to State College to conduct the workout at Penn State’s indoor football facility. The Jets delegation worked out the young quarterback for an hour, testing him on the aspects of the pro-style offense that weren’t a part of the Nittany Lions’ shotgun spread offense for the past two seasons.

One of the criticisms of Hackenberg is that he can’t make quick throws under pressure. So Jets coaches sped things up and put him through quick-release passing drills. They tested to see if he could throw off balance, watched his footwork closely, and put him in scenarios that they hadn’t seen on his game film. “It was about getting a really good feel for the way they are going to coach me going forward,” Hackenberg says.

After the workout, the group grabbed an early lunch at Happy Valley Brewery, a popular spot in State College. Rosa and LaMontagne had suggested the group stay at Penn State’s facility, where they could remain completely private, but the Jets risked the possibility of being seen with Hackenberg in public. “They said, ‘No, we want him in a natural setting. We want to see him in football, but we want to see him as a person, too,’ ” LaMontagne says. Hackenberg made easy conversation with Gailey about the Masters, which was playing out on the bar’s TVs. (Gailey is an avid golfer; Hackenberg is just picking up the game.) Because it was early for lunch on a Sunday, the Jets coaches went unnoticed at the restaurant. 

The pressing need for this trip to Penn State was to spend quality time with Hackenberg, and to settle the controversy of his up-and-down college career. As a true freshman, Hackenberg mastered Bill O’Brien’s pro-style offense. But after O’Brien left to coach the Texans, Hackenberg struggled with accuracy in Franklin’s shotgun system, throwing more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) as a sophomore, and finishing with a 53.5% completion rate his junior year in 2015.

As part of the evaluation process, Bowles wanted to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change, in order put to rest any concerns about his coachability. “I definitely needed to hear from him and hear what his thought process was and how he went through changing cultures and different coordinators in a system,” Bowles says. “He was forthright with everything, he understood that he has things he needs to work on, he acknowledged the coaching changes and he tried to do well in both systems. He admitted that he had some bad games but he also had some very good games, so I was very impressed with the way he presented himself.”

O’Brien, who remains close with Hackenberg, says the Texans also gave his former charge a high draft grade. “Christian is big and strong and throws a good football,” O’Brien says. “He's shown the ability to overcome adversity. It's hard to evaluate his career. There was a coaching change, and he had to adapt. Now, I watched a lot of his film [from 2014 and 2015], and I saw some bad plays, like people talk about. But I saw a lot of good plays too. We had him evaluated as a really good quarterback prospect.”

Hackenberg also worked out for Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington and Dallas. The Eagles were the only other team that kept its workout under wraps to the degree that New York did. “It was more than what you would normally experience from your average, everyday pre-draft workout,” LaMontagne says. “You can never read too much into that stuff, because there are always the smoke screens and the games that are being played for the right [draft] position, but sometimes things just feel a little bit different. And there were plenty of red flags, or green flags, depending on your perspective.”

According to Rosa, Hackenberg’s stock began to rise about two weeks before the draft. “The last couple of weeks he really gained momentum, because the more he got in front of teams, whether it be a private workout or a visit, they got to see how much he loves football and the passion he has for it,” he said. “He is a tough kid and he took a beating the last two years and it never fazed him.”

Three days after the workout at Penn State, Hackenberg visited the Jets facility in Florham Park, N.J. “I had a very productive conversation with Mike [Maccagnan] after his workout and they felt very strongly about him as a player and his development,” Rosa said. And Hackenberg himself thought the workout and visit went smoothly. “I had a really good vibe coming from the Jets,” he said.

When the Texans traded up two spots to jump ahead of the Jets to pick at No. 50, New York management held their breath. Was this an O’Brien play to rekindle the flame with his one-season-sensation? “The thought did cross our mind,” Maccagnan said Friday night after the second and third rounds wrapped up.

Meanwhile, at home in Palmyra, Virginia, Hackenberg thought it was Houston calling him at 8:45 p.m. Hackenberg was in his backyard playing a game of cornhole with his private quarterback coach Jordan Palmer (Carson Palmer’s younger brother) and LaMontagne, when his mom ran out the back door and whistled for her son to come inside and pick up his phone. “We walked up the steps of the deck behind him and we’re thinking that he is going to Houston,” LaMontagne says. “He is going to be a Texan, this is awesome, he’s back with Bill. And then Houston ends up picking a center and Jordan and I look at each other and simultaneously, we’re like what the f-- , what just happened? Are we witnessing a Mohamed Sanu moment here?”

Drafted by Cincinnati in the third round of the 2012 draft, current Falcons receiver Sanu was the target of a practical joke in the first round. As the Bengals were getting ready to make the 27th pick, Sanu received a phone call. It was a prank caller pretending to be Cincinnati personnel welcoming him to the team. Sanu, his family and his agents all fell for it. But Hackenberg wasn’t the butt of a joke; the Jets were on the line. Unsettled at quarterback, it wasn’t surprising that New York drafted their ninth quarterback in the past 11 years, a league-high and their fourth for a fourth straight year. But Maccagnan refused to acknowledge the obvious implications of the message sent by spending a valuable second-round pick on the most heavily scrutinized quarterback of this draft. “I wouldn’t classify him [as a starter or as a developmental quarterback],” he said. “Every player you take you would like to think they will be a starter. Even if you take a right guard in the second round, you still are going to have the same intention that you think he could be a starting-caliber player. I don’t think there is a standard that you have to fall into.”

AFC East rival Buffalo expressed as much interest in Hackenberg as the Jets did, Rosa said. Though the Bills didn’t work him out privately, they attended Penn State’s pro day and remained interested in Hackenberg throughout the process. Buffalo wanted to pick a quarterback, but weren’t willing to use a high pick on the position. The Bills ended up making their quarterback pick in the fourth round (Cardale Jones).

With the addition of Hackenberg, the Jets now have three backup quarterbacks, including Geno Smith and 2015 fourth-round selection Bryce Petty. But no starter. The team has drawn a line in the sand with Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract, and although Maccagnan has insisted that drafting Hackenberg does not affect the team’s goal to resign Fitzpatrick, the underlying message is clear: Fitzpatrick is a bridge, and Hackenberg is waiting in the wings.

Since taking over before the 2015 season, Maccagnan has balanced his strategy between winning now and building for the future. Even though the Jets GM has made big free-agent signings (Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte), the Hackenberg pick proves this front office doesn’t view their current roster as an immediate Super Bowl contender. If they did, they wouldn’t have spent a second-round pick on a quarterback and they’d be willing to devote significant money to Fitzpatrick’s contract.

Maccagnan has a best-player-available draft philosophy, and at No. 51, Hackenberg was in the highest-rated group still on the Jets draft board—a prospect whom the decision-makers viewed, for all his flaws, as a solid kid with a high ceiling. The Jets weren’t locked in at the quarterback position with their second-round choice, but of those players rated highest, Hackenberg had the most potential.

“There is a learning curve,” Bowles said. “When we picked Leonard [Williams] last year, we had Mo [Wilkerson], Sheldon [Richardson] and Snacks [Harrison]. We knew he wasn’t going to come in and start right away. It’s no different this year. We picked the best player at the spot and it just happened to be a quarterback.”

Gailey will be charged with helping Hackenberg reach his “high ceiling’ and O’Brien thinks he’s in good hands to do that. “It's a great spot for him,” O’Brien says. “I coached for Gailey one year at Georgia Tech, and that's a perfect coach for him to learn from. Chan's a very patient guy. Good teacher.”

With the Hackenberg pick, the Jets’ quarterback situation is now even more unsettled. But one thing is certain: Of the four quarterbacks, only one has a guaranteed spot on the 2016 roster, and that’s Hackenberg. 

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

You can't be serious ....

How the Jets Landed Christian Hackenberg

By Kalyn Kahler 
May 06, 2016

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — In late March, NFL agent Rich Rosa fielded a call from the Jets about setting up a workout with his client, Christian Hackenberg, the polarizing quarterback from Penn State. But the team had one non-negotiable condition: it would have to remain absolutely secret.

“The word that comes to mind is intensity, just the level of intensity that they wanted to make sure it was kept extremely quiet and that nobody knew it was going to happen,” says Noel LaMontagne, Rosa’s business partner at Compass Sports Advisors.

Mired in a contract stalemate with Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Jets’ front office didn’t want the New York media to anoint Hackenberg as the franchise’s lifeline. On April 10, two weeks after the initial call, general manager Mike Maccagnan, head coach Todd Bowles, offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo, and two scouts drove to State College to conduct the workout at Penn State’s indoor football facility. The Jets delegation worked out the young quarterback for an hour, testing him on the aspects of the pro-style offense that weren’t a part of the Nittany Lions’ shotgun spread offense for the past two seasons.

One of the criticisms of Hackenberg is that he can’t make quick throws under pressure. So Jets coaches sped things up and put him through quick-release passing drills. They tested to see if he could throw off balance, watched his footwork closely, and put him in scenarios that they hadn’t seen on his game film. “It was about getting a really good feel for the way they are going to coach me going forward,” Hackenberg says.

After the workout, the group grabbed an early lunch at Happy Valley Brewery, a popular spot in State College. Rosa and LaMontagne had suggested the group stay at Penn State’s facility, where they could remain completely private, but the Jets risked the possibility of being seen with Hackenberg in public. “They said, ‘No, we want him in a natural setting. We want to see him in football, but we want to see him as a person, too,’ ” LaMontagne says. Hackenberg made easy conversation with Gailey about the Masters, which was playing out on the bar’s TVs. (Gailey is an avid golfer; Hackenberg is just picking up the game.) Because it was early for lunch on a Sunday, the Jets coaches went unnoticed at the restaurant. 

The pressing need for this trip to Penn State was to spend quality time with Hackenberg, and to settle the controversy of his up-and-down college career. As a true freshman, Hackenberg mastered Bill O’Brien’s pro-style offense. But after O’Brien left to coach the Texans, Hackenberg struggled with accuracy in Franklin’s shotgun system, throwing more interceptions (15) than touchdowns (12) as a sophomore, and finishing with a 53.5% completion rate his junior year in 2015.

As part of the evaluation process, Bowles wanted to hear Hackenberg explain his challenges with the coaching change, in order put to rest any concerns about his coachability. “I definitely needed to hear from him and hear what his thought process was and how he went through changing cultures and different coordinators in a system,” Bowles says. “He was forthright with everything, he understood that he has things he needs to work on, he acknowledged the coaching changes and he tried to do well in both systems. He admitted that he had some bad games but he also had some very good games, so I was very impressed with the way he presented himself.”

O’Brien, who remains close with Hackenberg, says the Texans also gave his former charge a high draft grade. “Christian is big and strong and throws a good football,” O’Brien says. “He's shown the ability to overcome adversity. It's hard to evaluate his career. There was a coaching change, and he had to adapt. Now, I watched a lot of his film [from 2014 and 2015], and I saw some bad plays, like people talk about. But I saw a lot of good plays too. We had him evaluated as a really good quarterback prospect.”

Hackenberg also worked out for Philadelphia, Cleveland, Washington and Dallas. The Eagles were the only other team that kept its workout under wraps to the degree that New York did. “It was more than what you would normally experience from your average, everyday pre-draft workout,” LaMontagne says. “You can never read too much into that stuff, because there are always the smoke screens and the games that are being played for the right [draft] position, but sometimes things just feel a little bit different. And there were plenty of red flags, or green flags, depending on your perspective.”

According to Rosa, Hackenberg’s stock began to rise about two weeks before the draft. “The last couple of weeks he really gained momentum, because the more he got in front of teams, whether it be a private workout or a visit, they got to see how much he loves football and the passion he has for it,” he said. “He is a tough kid and he took a beating the last two years and it never fazed him.”

Three days after the workout at Penn State, Hackenberg visited the Jets facility in Florham Park, N.J. “I had a very productive conversation with Mike [Maccagnan] after his workout and they felt very strongly about him as a player and his development,” Rosa said. And Hackenberg himself thought the workout and visit went smoothly. “I had a really good vibe coming from the Jets,” he said.

When the Texans traded up two spots to jump ahead of the Jets to pick at No. 50, New York management held their breath. Was this an O’Brien play to rekindle the flame with his one-season-sensation? “The thought did cross our mind,” Maccagnan said Friday night after the second and third rounds wrapped up.

Meanwhile, at home in Palmyra, Virginia, Hackenberg thought it was Houston calling him at 8:45 p.m. Hackenberg was in his backyard playing a game of cornhole with his private quarterback coach Jordan Palmer (Carson Palmer’s younger brother) and LaMontagne, when his mom ran out the back door and whistled for her son to come inside and pick up his phone. “We walked up the steps of the deck behind him and we’re thinking that he is going to Houston,” LaMontagne says. “He is going to be a Texan, this is awesome, he’s back with Bill. And then Houston ends up picking a center and Jordan and I look at each other and simultaneously, we’re like what the f-- , what just happened? Are we witnessing a Mohamed Sanu moment here?”

Drafted by Cincinnati in the third round of the 2012 draft, current Falcons receiver Sanu was the target of a practical joke in the first round. As the Bengals were getting ready to make the 27th pick, Sanu received a phone call. It was a prank caller pretending to be Cincinnati personnel welcoming him to the team. Sanu, his family and his agents all fell for it. But Hackenberg wasn’t the butt of a joke; the Jets were on the line. Unsettled at quarterback, it wasn’t surprising that New York drafted their ninth quarterback in the past 11 years, a league-high and their fourth for a fourth straight year. But Maccagnan refused to acknowledge the obvious implications of the message sent by spending a valuable second-round pick on the most heavily scrutinized quarterback of this draft. “I wouldn’t classify him [as a starter or as a developmental quarterback],” he said. “Every player you take you would like to think they will be a starter. Even if you take a right guard in the second round, you still are going to have the same intention that you think he could be a starting-caliber player. I don’t think there is a standard that you have to fall into.”

AFC East rival Buffalo expressed as much interest in Hackenberg as the Jets did, Rosa said. Though the Bills didn’t work him out privately, they attended Penn State’s pro day and remained interested in Hackenberg throughout the process. Buffalo wanted to pick a quarterback, but weren’t willing to use a high pick on the position. The Bills ended up making their quarterback pick in the fourth round (Cardale Jones).

With the addition of Hackenberg, the Jets now have three backup quarterbacks, including Geno Smith and 2015 fourth-round selection Bryce Petty. But no starter. The team has drawn a line in the sand with Ryan Fitzpatrick’s contract, and although Maccagnan has insisted that drafting Hackenberg does not affect the team’s goal to resign Fitzpatrick, the underlying message is clear: Fitzpatrick is a bridge, and Hackenberg is waiting in the wings.

Since taking over before the 2015 season, Maccagnan has balanced his strategy between winning now and building for the future. Even though the Jets GM has made big free-agent signings (Darrelle Revis, Matt Forte), the Hackenberg pick proves this front office doesn’t view their current roster as an immediate Super Bowl contender. If they did, they wouldn’t have spent a second-round pick on a quarterback and they’d be willing to devote significant money to Fitzpatrick’s contract.

Maccagnan has a best-player-available draft philosophy, and at No. 51, Hackenberg was in the highest-rated group still on the Jets draft board—a prospect whom the decision-makers viewed, for all his flaws, as a solid kid with a high ceiling. The Jets weren’t locked in at the quarterback position with their second-round choice, but of those players rated highest, Hackenberg had the most potential.

“There is a learning curve,” Bowles said. “When we picked Leonard [Williams] last year, we had Mo [Wilkerson], Sheldon [Richardson] and Snacks [Harrison]. We knew he wasn’t going to come in and start right away. It’s no different this year. We picked the best player at the spot and it just happened to be a quarterback.”

Gailey will be charged with helping Hackenberg reach his “high ceiling’ and O’Brien thinks he’s in good hands to do that. “It's a great spot for him,” O’Brien says. “I coached for Gailey one year at Georgia Tech, and that's a perfect coach for him to learn from. Chan's a very patient guy. Good teacher.”

With the Hackenberg pick, the Jets’ quarterback situation is now even more unsettled. But one thing is certain: Of the four quarterbacks, only one has a guaranteed spot on the 2016 roster, and that’s Hackenberg. 

lol.  Of course he went with them for official visits.  "Scouting" means that you're watching hours upon hours of tape on him, not just interviewing him a month or 2 before taking him.  You scout a player by following along with his college career.  Where in this article did Bowles actually "scout" Christian Hackenberg?

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

Woody basically admitted he's finally backing off and letting Macc do his thing.  Enjoy the process, yo.

As long as we can all agree that the first two drafts don’t count.

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

We should be hearing about that extension in a month or so.

I have no idea why you keep saying this like you just solved The Mystery of the Execrable Executive. Of course he’s getting an extension. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Of course he went with them for official visits.  "Scouting" means that you're watching hours upon hours of tape on him, not just interviewing him a month or 2 before taking him.  You scout a player by following along with his college career.  Where in this article did Bowles actually "scout" Christian Hackenberg?

You don't think Bowles watched tape before investing more time?

I didn't say Bowles is a full-time scout.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure he watched some, but relied on the work that the scouts and GM had put in, and trusted their assessment.  Because that's how this generally works.  

what did bowles care, he wasn't going to play him anyway, he knew mccags was going to get him a vet to play.  

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even a dumb guy like me can see that Macc is terrible.  

No, dumb people( I have no idea if you are or not) tend fail to see he's somewhere in between.  He has not been great.  There have been some bad picks, and some bad moves.  There have also been some good picks and some good moves.  There are also some picks that are viewed by the fans as worse than they are because the fans wanted something else.

He certainly has reasons for doubt, but he doesn't get credit for basically anything he does.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That's not all, we don't have a decent RB, we don't have a true #1 WR and to be frank the LBs are somewhat lacking.

We're not even close to being competitive for a championship for another 2 to 3 years if we're lucky.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

maybe mccagnan has learned you can't draft a qb based on measurables.  i'd be more concerned if the jets weren't doing their due dilligence on every draft eligible qb.  

I'd say this is a wishful long shot. The guy hasn't been locked in a bunker his whole life without TV or internet, and only started evaluating prospects in 2015. He's been scouting players since the early 90s. Surely in the prior 25 years he'd seen the result of drafting/ranking QBs based on height/weight/arm strength, and building teams around low-dollar positions in the absence of solidifying its high-dollar ones.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

hahahahahaha

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure he watched some, but relied on the work that the scouts and GM had put in, and trusted their assessment.  Because that's how this generally works.  

Is that how you'd handle it if you HC'd an NFL team? I sure as f-k wouldn't.

If Bowles was as heedless and disconnected as you speculate then again it's his fault. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It takes a large leap of faith and many assumptions to suggest Macc is good at his job.  The evidence we have at hand cannot suggest he's good at his job without a large number of excuses made on his behalf.  

The problem here is many of you expect too much from a GM and too little from a HC. I can see nerds who never played sports blame everything on an office manager because they see everything as a simple transaction. But anyone who played knows what coaching is all about. Coaching can make a bad pick good and a good pick bad. It amuses me how many fools think no-name Brady would've been the GOAT on any team under any staff.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

If Bowles was as heedless and disconnected as you speculate then again it's his fault. 

The problem here is many of you expect too much from a GM and too little from a HC. I can see nerds who never played sports blame everything on an office manager because they see everything as a simple transaction. But anyone who played knows what coaching is all about. Coaching can make a bad pick good and a good pick bad. It amuses me how many fools think no-name Brady would've been the GOAT on any team under any staff.

And the problem with your argument is that we've changed Head Coaches many times, and it has never fixed the problem.  You have to go higher up in the organization to determine the core issues. 

A HC can't fix bad talent as easily as a GM can make a HC look good by handing him talent.  It's the GM's job to supply the talent on the field, and we're deficient in talent.  The HC can't do all the things the GM is supposed to do AND coach the team on a week to week basis.  

Ultimately, the blame falls to ownership, but this game is more about the Jimmy's and the Joe's than the X's and the O's.  So if I had to choose between a great GM and a great HC, I'm choosing the great GM every single time.  

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Again, how is Hackenberg pinned on Macc? The GM, HC, scouts and staff put many hours, days, weeks, and months into ranking players and assembling the team's official top secret draft board. The one person in the room with the most playing/coaching experience and team vision is Bowles. It makes most sense, IMO, to blame him over others, but somehow the office geek money manager gets all the blame as if Hack was his personal choice. In the 2016 draft Jets weren't looking for a QB. Ten game winner Fitzpatrick with 31 TDs was the projected starter. Hackenberg was nothing more than an innocent bystander BPA victim at #51 on the Jets team board. Those are facts. 

Maybe my favorite post in JN history

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It didn't. Everyone knows who was the one with the chub for Hackenberg.

Member when 2015 didn't count because Maccagnan was at such an extreme disadavantage, even though he scouted players throughout the 2013-2014 seasons, and his hand-picked head of scouting did the same over those same seasons?

Member how his first real draft was 2016?

pp,550x550.u6.jpg

I member, too!

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

And the problem with your argument is that we've changed Head Coaches many times, and it has never fixed the problem.  You have to go higher up in the organization to determine the core issues. 

A HC can't fix bad talent as easily as a GM can make a HC look good by handing him talent.  It's the GM's job to supply the talent on the field, and we're deficient in talent.  The HC can't do all the things the GM is supposed to do AND coach the team on a week to week basis.  

Ultimately, the blame falls to ownership, but this game is more about the Jimmy's and the Joe's than the X's and the O's.  So if I had to choose between a great GM and a great HC, I'm choosing the great GM every single time.  

I'll take the HC. A great HC can make a great GM (Belichick). Can't name one great career GM who can coach to save his life.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It didn't. Everyone knows who was the one with the chub for Hackenberg.

Member when 2015 didn't count because Maccagnan, who scouted players throughout the 2014 season, and his hand-picked head of scouting did the same for 2014?

Member how his first real draft was 2016?

pp,550x550.u6.jpg

I member, too!

1zksgt.jpg

2 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I'll take the HC. A great HC can make a great GM (Belichick). Can't name one great career GM who can coach to save his life.

Belichick's drafts have by and large been awful.  The Patriots win because of cheating and lucking into Tom Brady.  Terrible example.  

Give me a John Elway, Ozzie Newsome, or Kevin Colbert any day.  

13 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Why are you so worried about the guy getting fired if he is "an office manager?"  You played sports and found that coaches made that big a difference?  I have played for and coached with great guys and idiots and I found great players overcame poor coaches much more easily than great coaches helped lesser athletes. 

Archived