" Jets GM is one move away from greatness or utter failure ".. ? ? ?

kelly

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Belichick's drafts have by and large been awful.  The Patriots win because of cheating and lucking into Tom Brady.  Terrible example.  

Give me a John Elway, Ozzie Newsome, or Kevin Colbert any day.  

Translation: BB's genius HCing overpowered his poor GMing.

Thank you. You just proved which is more important.

Like I said, you expect too much from a GM and too little from a HC. Apology accepted.

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

Translation: BB's genius HCing overpowered his poor GMing.

Thank you. You just proved which is more important.

Like I said, you expect too much from a GM and too little from a HC. Apology accepted.

You only considered part of the argument.  Lucking into Tom Brady was a huge part of his success.  

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You mean beyond the fact that only Maccagnan attended Hackenberg's pro day, before calling up Hackenberg's agent for a private workout with the request that setting it up be kept hush-hush?

Do your own homework.

I posted the story. Read the thread and take your own advice.

Just now, jetrider said:

That's like saying Edison lucked into the phonograph or lightbulb.

BB didn't draft the GOAT, he manufactured him. He drafted a nobody that nobody wanted.

Edison was a major crook and bully.  Look into his real history sometime.  Funny that you'd choose that comparison!

No, Belichick didn't "mold" Brady out of clay.  That literally never happens.  Not one great QB in NFL history was sculpted by his HC.  The HC can put him in a POSITION to succeed in some ways, but the QB has to have the talent, ability, intelligence, and leadership qualities that cannot be taught in order to be great.  

What an absurd argument.  

Just now, jetrider said:

I posted the story. Read the thread and take your own advice.

The story that says Bowles attended a private workout that the GM set up quietly after the GM was wow'd during the QB's pro day? Lol.

The story you posted suggests none of the silly things you claim. Please post more of them, though.

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Edison was a major crook and bully.  Look into his real history sometime.  Funny that you'd choose that comparison!

No, Belichick didn't "mold" Brady out of clay.  That literally never happens.  Not one great QB in NFL history was sculpted by his HC.  The HC can put him in a POSITION to succeed in some ways, but the QB has to have the talent, ability, intelligence, and leadership qualities that cannot be taught in order to be great.  

What an absurd argument.  

Edison developed ideas and made them popular and commercially successful. It's the correct comparison.

BB didn't invent Tom Brady, he developed him to super stardom. Also, he had the smarts to do so.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The story that says Bowles attended a private workout that the GM set up quietly after the GM was wow'd during the QB's pro day? Lol.

The story you posted suggests none of the silly things you claim. Please post more of them, though.

You obviously didn't read it. 

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's up there. I'm jealous that I wasn't the one to post it.

I spoke way too soon. “He’s great at getting out of the terrible contracts he signs” absolutely pales in comparison to “How is it the GM’s fault when we pick a terrible player?”

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

No, dumb people( I have no idea if you are or not) tend fail to see he's somewhere in between.  He has not been great.  There have been some bad picks, and some bad moves.  There have also been some good picks and some good moves.  There are also some picks that are viewed by the fans as worse than they are because the fans wanted something else.

He certainly has reasons for doubt, but he doesn't get credit for basically anything he does.

How much worse would the Jets be if a random fan from JetNation were the GM, rather than Macc.  Serious question.  We are not any better than when he took over, we have no QB, a bunch of WR3s, no RB1, a bottom 3 OL, no CB1, and no passrusher.  Again, what did Macc do that you or I couldn't have accomplished with Kiper's Big Board?  Robbie Anderson?  Anything else?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It takes a large leap of faith and many assumptions to suggest Macc is good at his job.  The evidence we have at hand cannot suggest he's good at his job without a large number of excuses made on his behalf.  

The argument that Macc is good is almost always predicated on the assumption that Macc doesn't actually do anything within his job description.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The man scrounged up a team of misfit veterans to make the playoffs and then they didn't make the playoffs. Then he abandoned a season in March and asked season ticket holders to pay for it because they were totally tanking for a top pick, of which we are now not getting.

But yeah, sure, he's just one move away.

Mike Drop post.

26 minutes ago, gEYno said:

How much worse would the Jets be if a random fan from JetNation were the GM, rather than Macc.  Serious question.  We are not any better than when he took over, we have no QB, a bunch of WR3s, no RB1, a bottom 3 OL, no CB1, and no passrusher.  Again, what did Macc do that you or I couldn't have accomplished with Kiper's Big Board?  Robbie Anderson?  Anything else?

I don't know the answer to that.  I would like to think not nearly as good as most of us think.  

In my opinion, I think a lot of us undersell the importance of how player X fits into Scheme Y and that makes the Big Board discussion a harder.  Especially after the top of the draft.  The talent gap between a 3rd and 5th rounder can often be negated by getting the player into a system that suits them best.  I think that's harder to identify than most people think.

I guess where I'm going with the long winded answer is that saying, see 3rd Rounder Joe Doe we all wanted who is playing well for Philly doesn't necessarily validate anything, because they might not do the same thing for a different team.

Mac certainly has left questions how good he is, I agree.  I just tend to think he's done better than he gets credit for.

8 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, we should fire him because there is nothing better for an organization that constantly starting over. It's certainly worked wonders for the this franchise....

But one can hope one day we will get it right 

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't know the answer to that.  I would like to think not nearly as good as most of us think.  

In my opinion, I think a lot of us undersell the importance of how player X fits into Scheme Y and that makes the Big Board discussion a harder.  Especially after the top of the draft.  The talent gap between a 3rd and 5th rounder can often be negated by getting the player into a system that suits them best.  I think that's harder to identify than most people think.

I guess where I'm going with the long winded answer is that saying, see 3rd Rounder Joe Doe we all wanted who is playing well for Philly doesn't necessarily validate anything, because they might not do the same thing for a different team.

Mac certainly has left questions how good he is, I agree.  I just tend to think he's done better than he gets credit for.

The hilarity of it is that his players - his first rounders in particular - don’t at all seem like they’re fit for the same scheme. Leonard Williams and Darron Lee? Maybe if Leo is playing inside full-time. Maybe. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The hilarity of it is that his players - his first rounders in particular - don’t at all seem like they’re fit for the same scheme. Leonard Williams and Darron Lee? Maybe if Leo is playing inside full-time. Maybe. 

I look forward to your prolonged soliloquy's when Maccnificent is given the extension he's earned.

43 minutes ago, GATA said:

But one can hope one day we will get it right 

Agreed. And I am not ready to give Macc a ten year extension. The problem is many posters here are impatient and demand success immediately or else they want the GM fired. Sometimes its justified (Idzik) but with macc he has shown enough skill to warrant another year or two. Bringing in a new guy to gut the franchise, start on his own path, learn from his mistakes and eventually figure things out in 3 years isn't exactly a great idea. 

Macc has made some mistakes, but he has also made some good picks/trades/pickups. Drafting Hack in the 2nd and Wilkersons contracts are the glaring mistakes, but 2nd round picks aren't locks and letting Wilk go would have been a tough decision for any GM. 

I am willing, and I assume the Jets ownership is also willing, to give Macc another offseason to bring the Jets to the next level and find a franchise QB. If we finish next year with a 6-10 record and no clear franchise QB, then Macc will be fired. 

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Up-voting your own posts - particuarly when you’re the lone person to up-vote it - is the message board version of masturbation. At least you know that you love you, even if the act’s brevity makes it seem cheap and meaningless.

Lol ... I flagged it to get your attention – because you didn't read the story that proves you wrong – and it worked like a charm.

No, your typical 80,000-word rectal splooging is the message board version of masturbation. 

Agreed. And I am not ready to give Macc a ten year extension. The problem is many posters here are impatient and demand success immediately or else they want the GM fired. Sometimes its justified (Idzik) but with macc he has shown enough skill to warrant another year or two. Bringing in a new guy to gut the franchise, start on his own path, learn from his mistakes and eventually figure things out in 3 years isn't exactly a great idea. 

Macc has made some mistakes, but he has also made some good picks/trades/pickups. Drafting Hack in the 2nd and Wilkersons contracts are the glaring mistakes, but 2nd round picks aren't locks and letting Wilk go would have been a tough decision for any GM. 

I am willing, and I assume the Jets ownership is also willing, to give Macc another offseason to bring the Jets to the next level and find a franchise QB. If we finish next year with a 6-10 record and no clear franchise QB, then Macc will be fired. 

I totally agree with you too but part of my mind wants to buy dynamite and watch it all explode. Going back to my rational side I see Macc another yr too

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

54 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Lol ... I flagged it to get your attention – because you didn't read the story that proves you wrong – and it worked like a charm.

No, your typical 80,000-word rectal splooging is the message board version of masturbation. 

Sure you did. Everyone believes you.

As to the article, since you didn’t write it I did indeed read it; particularly the parts you bolded that don’t at all prove (or indicate) anything you comically claim.

If you seriously believe the main push behind drafting Hackenberg in round 2 came from Todd Bowles, you should realize you are the only person on this planet who believes so. There may be more people on your home planet who believe this, but that’s something different.

Lastly, long posts are nothing like masturbation. A post that long infers extended foreplay, an hour-plus of whiskey-dick extended main event, and the dreaded holding/cuddling afterwards. Any man would know masturbation is quick, I guess unless a person’s pathetic and lonely enough to double that up as imaginary companionship time. So like clockwork, you’re wrong again. 

Archived