5 Jets deserving of extensions before the offseason

Steveg

CB Morris Claiborne

2017 Salary: $5 million

Besides dealing with the injury bug that has hampered him his whole career over the past couple of weeks, Claiborne has been the No. 1 corner that the Jets needed after last year’s disaster in the secondary.

Maccagnan took a chance on bringing in the injury-riddled Claiborne and his gamble has paid dividends. While his injury history remains a cause for concern moving forward, Maccagnan should extend Claiborne as soon as possible in order to avoid a bidding war for his services in free agency.

LB Demario Davis

2017 Salary: $2.2 million

When the Jets re-acquired Demario Davis in a trade with the Cleveland Browns this summer, nobody could’ve expected the linebacker was going to be this good for the Jets in 2017.

Davis is a changed man in his second stint with the Jets, leading the team with 82 tackles through 10 games while taking an increased leadership role, specifically taking second-year linebacker Darron Lee under his wing.

Not only does his play warrant an extension, but Davis’ newfound leadership skills should make bringing him back for 2018 and beyond a priority for the front office.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

2017 Salary: $1.3 million

With the way that Seferian-Jenkins has played this season, bringing the tight end back into the Jets offense was the best decision Todd Bowles has made in his time with the Jets.

The 25-year-old leads the Jets in receptions with 39 and provides McCown with a reliable red zone target when needed. Seferian-Jenkins has dealt with some well-publicized problems in the past, but he is young and has proven that he has not only cleaned up his act, but improved his game as well.

The strides that he has made while in New York should be celebrated and Maccagnan should reward Seferian-Jenkins with a contract extension.

K Chandler Catanzaro

2017 Salary: $900,000

Catanzaro has gone from an inaccurate, unreliable kicker with the Arizona Cardinals to a stud for the Jets in 2017, nailing 16 of 20 field goals so far this season.

Like almost every other player on this list, Catanzaro is relatively young at 26 and deserves to be brought back for the 2018 season.

DE Kony Ealy

2017 Salary: $886,707

Ealy came to New York later than anybody on this list but has made almost the same, if not more, of an impact in his time with the Jets.

He has helped to improve the Jets pass rush and leads the league in passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by defensive linemen with nine. At 25 years old, Ealy could be an integral part of the Jets defense for years to come and Maccagnan should realize this and pounce on the opportunity to extend his contract.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id like to open the kicking competition and see if Martin can overtake Catanzaro.  

He basically out produced Catanzaro on FGs and the company line as to why he got cut was that Catanzaro was better on kickoffs, which more then likely is more Bowles preferring yet another veteran.  For a season where if we missed a FG here or there really doesnt matter, to me we should have gone with the young guy to see what hes got in real game situations.

Plus he will likely play for the minimum vs $2 per year for Catanzaro

Claiborne scares me he is playing at a high level and might want to get paid as such but he is a risk with his injury history. Honestly I think we need to make asj and dd our priorities and obviously ealy if we can get him on a reasonable contract. Let Claiborne hit free agency and if we can bring him back without paying him revis money than do it if not bring someone else in or draft a cb or two in the first three rounds

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Id like to open the kicking competition and see if Martin can overtake Catanzaro.  

He basically out produced Catanzaro on FGs and the company line as to why he got cut was that Catanzaro was better on kickoffs, which more then likely is more Bowles preferring yet another veteran.  For a season where if we missed a FG here or there really doesnt matter, to me we should have gone with the young guy to see what hes got in real game situations.

Plus he will likely play for the minimum vs $2 per year for Catanzaro

Martin has gotten two years of tries and failed both times.  No reason for us to get worked up over an UDFA that can't make the cut, and in a season filled with numerous kicker injuries and cuts, no other team has gone knocking on his door either.  Nothing wrong with giving Catanzaro competition next year, but might as well give that chance to a new kid who hasn't already lost to him.

Age supposedly playing a part in the kicker is completely fabricated by fans.  They're 2 years apart for crying out loud.

55 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Claiborne scares me he is playing at a high level and might want to get paid as such but he is a risk with his injury history. Honestly I think we need to make asj and dd our priorities and obviously ealy if we can get him on a reasonable contract. Let Claiborne hit free agency and if we can bring him back without paying him revis money than do it if not bring someone else in or draft a cb or two in the first three rounds

That's going to be the real question for Claiborne, the price tag.  If attainable at a reasonable price, even "starters money", I think it would be worthwhile.  If he sees this as his best chance to cash in, which it would be tough to blame him for, then I agree he's not worth big money.

Totally agree on everyone except possibly Claiborne. He's good when he's healthy, but barring injury, he's going to command top $$ at the end of the year. I know we have a lot of cap room, but as we found out in 2016, that can go very quickly. I don't want to spend top dollar on a guy with his history of injuries, especially when Darryl Roberts has been playing well and, dare I say, Juston Burris shows a lot of promise.

And Macc and Woody I hope learned their lessons about overpaying for cornerbacks

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Agree 100%.  Claiborne has been very good this year, when healthy.  But I think he has missed the Buffalo game and parts of 2 others.  Given the injury history, I am not giving him big $$ or a long term deal.  I woudl rather spend the $$ on another free agent CB.  All the resources we have spent on secondary and we still have no reliable corners. 

Davis, ASJ and Ealy -- definitely want to keep those guys.  Catanazaro, meh -- don't really care one way or another.  Claiborne scares me.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Agreed, but i think you have to make an offer of some kind. If Claiborne wasn't injury prone, he would have never made it to FA to begin with. The good ones rarely do... I guess i come from a school of philosophy that we have to take some chances. ASJ was a question mark, and it's worked out. That's how teams "get over" -- because you're not always going to be able to perfectly get what you want. 

Honestly, I don't know if Claiborne's going to find much more than 1-year offers as it is anyway, for same reasons. It may be in his best financial interest to sign a team friendly 3 year extension with us

ASJ's numbers are not bad but they are not amazing either. Solid, average to above-average tight end. He strikes me as a guy that is going to get paid based on perception and some serious hype, and I'm not sure that's a good idea considering the market is probably going to put his salary with guys like Fleener and the rest. If you can hit on a mid-rounder at that position you can notch similar production to what he's giving at probably 1/5th the price.

I'm sure this will be taken as hatred, but it's really not. ASJ was a nice addition, but I think the fanbase and way more importantly this franchise are already vastly overvaluing his worth. We should not be paying players like this at lower value positions lots of money. It's a surefire way to crashland straight into ****sville.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Martin has gotten two years of tries and failed both times.  No reason for us to get worked up over an UDFA that can't make the cut, and in a season filled with numerous kicker injuries and cuts, no other team has gone knocking on his door either.  Nothing wrong with giving Catanzaro competition next year, but might as well give that chance to a new kid who hasn't already lost to him.

Age supposedly playing a part in the kicker is completely fabricated by fans.  They're 2 years apart for crying out loud.

This is pretty common with kickers. They bounce around as training camp kickers for a couple years after college before they get their break. Not saying he is the future, just saying don't be so quick to write him off.

50 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

ASJ's numbers are not bad but they are not amazing either. Solid, average to above-average tight end. He strikes me as a guy that is going to get paid based on perception and some serious hype, and I'm not sure that's a good idea considering the market is probably going to put his salary with guys like Fleener and the rest. If you can hit on a mid-rounder at that position you can notch similar production to what he's giving at probably 1/5th the price.

I'm sure this will be taken as hatred, but it's really not. ASJ was a nice addition, but I think the fanbase and way more importantly this franchise are already vastly overvaluing his worth. We should not be paying players like this at lower value positions lots of money. It's a surefire way to crashland straight into ****sville.

as long as they don't over-value him by contract he should be re-signed.  consider the previous te's the jets have had.  becht, diller, kyle brady.  he's better than all of those guys and can actually get yards after the catch without falling down.  imo best jet te since schuler.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Agree 100%.  Claiborne has been very good this year, when healthy.  But I think he has missed the Buffalo game and parts of 2 others.  Given the injury history, I am not giving him big $$ or a long term deal.  I woudl rather spend the $$ on another free agent CB.  All the resources we have spent on secondary and we still have no reliable corners. 

Davis, ASJ and Ealy -- definitely want to keep those guys.  Catanazaro, meh -- don't really care one way or another.  Claiborne scares me.

with you on these guys. i just hope they don't want the big bucks.  as for catanzaro, so what. martin out kicked him in training camp.  they decided to go with the vet.  can't fault the logic but his misses cost a game.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

both times martin was kicking against a vet.  folk was near money when he played for the jets.  then he faced off against cantanzaro and they went with the vet.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I agree. ASJ has been good but he is not elite at the position YET. I think the love for him is because the TE position on this team has been desolate for so long. Re-sign him at a reasonable rate but if He wants to be paid like an elite TE it will be based on potential not results. A bad thing to base a hefty raise on IMO.

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I agree. ASJ has been good but he is not elite at the position YET. I think the love for him is because the TE position on this team has been desolate for so long. Re-sign him at a reasonable rate but if He wants to be paid like an elite TE it will be based on potential not results. A bad thing to base a hefty raise on IMO.

It’s one thing to use high picks on non-premium positions, it’s another to pay high salaries to non-premium positions, and then it’s a whole other stratosphere to do both of those things. It’s just a bad angle to be taking, especially for a team like the Jets that is lacking at literally every single skill position. 

9 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Macc sucks.  Why did he bring players in that we now need to re-sign...

They’re all playing above their past levels due to Todd Bowles. It’s a far more logical and reason-based argument. 

Macc does indeed suck. None of them are premium starters we should weep about losing if we do. None are worth top-15 contracts at their respective positions. And frankly none of them are anywher near good enough as short-term additions to offset the more numerous serious-investment blunders made by the same man. Frankly if it’s so important that we retain any or all of them, why haven’t they been extended already? The price only goes up once they reach UFA status (or are merely several weeks away from it, like Winters in January). 

In all seriousness, Claiborne was a worthwhile chance. It’s one of Macc’s better pickups in terms of risk vs potential reward. The problem is I’m still not convinced he’s worth more than these types of show-me deals. He’s not been the most reliable in the past, missed all of 2 weeks ago and most of this past week, so I don’t know that he’s worth more than another contract with more than 1 year guaranteed, and even that shouldn’t be at top dollar. He’s been just ok, and at times not so ok. He turns 28 next year; not at all old, but also not the same as a 26 year-old veteran UFA in his situation either. If he wants more than 3 years $21m with $7m guaranteed - and he’ll surely want more than that after playing on a show-me deal - then let someone else make that mistake. Take the money and run on a good season, and don’t make it out to be more than it’s been. Impossible to predict what he’ll actually seek and get at this time. 

Davis has played well overall, but chiefly he’s played really well for Demario Davis. It would also be foolish to think his best season, in a show-me contract situation, is the new expected baseline for his career going forward. Even with the cap inflation I still wouldn’t guarantee him more than 1 year salary unless it’s in the $4m range, in which case 1.5 years is the same cash guarantee anyway. My guess is Macc brings him back in the David Harris/Brian Winters contract level at around $7.5m per with 2 years guaranteed. And like those terrible contracts, some will actually defend that as smart as well.

ASJ: We all like a story of a player turning his life around for the better. On the field, the reality is ASJ’s better than there’s been here of late more than he is a total package of an above-average TE. There’s a difference between being a good TE and being in an offense that features the TE, and even still at ~35 yards/game while playing in the latter, he’s nothing to back up the money-truck over. We’ll see if the Jets are shown appreciation for believing in him and sticking with him, or if he merely follows the highest offer (as he probably should). I’d struggle to rationalize more than $4-5m per tops with low guarantees: he’s a receiving TE on pace for a career season of 500 yards and 4-5 TDs (or not even, since the better defenses we face are what’s left on the schedule), while averaging a RB-like 7 yards per reception, and a penalty a game. I can’t see Macc letting him go; he’s as close as Macc gets to a success story outside the draft. I bet he keeps him at $7-8m/year with 1.5 yrs guaranteed.

Catanzaro is fine. Not zomg where did we find him level of awesome, but he’s fine and worth bringing back. He won’t command big bucks (even for a kicker) so bringing him back in the $1.5-2.0m range sounds about right for him, though unless that comes with $0 guaranteed it all but ends the possibility of an upgrade in 2018. Thing is, kickers like this are often good one year and bad the next, then good again the year after that, with no pattern to it. Reason I’m fine with bringing him back is he can kick a deep FG if we need it, and every short FG isn’t a fingers-crossed adventure with him. The pair he recently missed from well over 40 in the monsoon are entirely forgivable. 

Ealy has been a nice pickup. He’s just a situational player, and though he’s disrupted the backfield on enough passing downs to get noticed, the reality is he’s only finished the deal once. Though his numbers don’t tell the whole story, it’s hard to totally ignore that his numbers are indeed poor (1 sack, 9 tackles, 3 assists, and no forced fumbles in 10 games; on pace for his worst season, statistically). He was a last-minute cut and he went for the best opportunity for playing time to get a better contract as a FA, after getting cut late by NE: a Jets team desperate for a pass rusher. In April, Carolina - who drafted him in round 2 - dumped him for relatively little in return: all it cost NE was dropping from pick #64 to pick #72 in the 2017 draft (generally the value of around the last compensatory pick in round 4 or first pick in round 5). So, worth it as a late pickup that cost us nothing, but hard to say on a re-signing unless it’s for non-starter money. Like ASJ, I think Macc brings him back, if only to make sure people remember a veteran he acquired that wasn’t terrible, but the congratulations will be short-lived. Money-wise he belongs in the $2-3m situational/backup range, depending on inflation.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Since we've had virtually no one to play TE at any level for this team, for what seems like decades, ASJ has been a very nice surprise. He's not Gronk or Tony G, but he's Big, he can catch, and block some. Tight Ends dont command big money contracts. He's 24 let's lock him up. It's one less gap to fill in the off season.

14 hours ago, thshadow said:

Claiborne is the only one I'm not sure I agree with...  Has he really been that good?

He's the best player on our defense this year.  When he's off the field or struggling with an injury all of a sudden our D goes from being average to really bad in a hurry.

He's going to be payed like a top 10 cb next year, so its likely that we won't be able to keep him (it doesn't make sense to pay a high price cb FA for a rebuilding team).

The ones to pay are ASJ, Ealy and Catanzaro and Davis.  They're all young, have some debt towards us and can still be had for less than market rate.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ealy has been a nice pickup. He’s just a situational player, and though he’s disrupted the backfield on enough passing downs to get noticed, the reality is he’s only finished the deal once. Though his numbers don’t tell the whole story, it’s hard to totally ignore that his numbers are indeed poor (1 sack, 9 tackles, 3 assists, and no forced fumbles in 10 games; on pace for his worst season, statistically). He was a last-minute cut and he went for the best opportunity for playing time to get a better contract as a FA, after getting cut late by NE: a Jets team desperate for a pass rusher. In April, Carolina - who drafted him in round 2 - dumped him for relatively little in return: all it cost NE was dropping from pick #64 to pick #72 in the 2017 draft (generally the value of around the last compensatory pick in round 4 or first pick in round 5). So, worth it as a late pickup that cost us nothing, but hard to say on a re-signing unless it’s for non-starter money. Like ASJ, I think Macc brings him back, if only to make sure people remember a veteran he acquired that wasn’t terrible, but the congratulations will be short-lived. Money-wise he belongs in the $2-3m situational/backup range, depending on inflation.

Ealy leads the league in balls batted at the line of scrimmage (9) so that should be mentioned alongside the rest of his numbers.

30 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Ealy leads the league in balls batted at the line of scrimmage (9) so that should be mentioned alongside the rest of his numbers.

Absolutely. I like Ealy, said he was a nice pickup, and did note that sacks/tackles/FFs don't tell his whole story. Also hard to find stats on him for hurries. They're not as good as finish-the-deal sacks of course, unless the hurry results in a pick, but removing those from the equation would suggest an absurd equivalence between a useful hurry and uselessly providing no pressure at all. 

Theoretically, edge rushers get paid based on sacks, hurries, and there's no one who doesn't love forced-fumble strip sacks. (e.g. Vernon didn't get a zillion sacks for Miami in '16, but he had more hurries than Beasley, Miller and pretty much everyone else, so he got paid top dollar anyway).

It's not noted as a knock on Ealy so much as it indicates he shouldn't be paid as an every-down starter. Also that he's not close to a substitute for going hard after a far more serious, every-down edge rusher (find our next John Abraham, which has eluded Jets FOs for over a decade).

20 hours ago, thshadow said:

Claiborne is the only one I'm not sure I agree with...  Has he really been that good?

He has been. There are games where he has been lights out, I think he is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Staying on the field is the concern. Especially if you are talking about a big contract. It will come down to two things 1) The Jets try to lock him up early or 2) They get involved in free agency only if there is no market for him. (I think there will be a market).

If you sign him though, I think you have to go into it knowing his upside is 13 games a year.

17 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Funny how that crappy GM we have was able to bring in 5 players who have performed well at reasonable cap hits. I guess he just got lucky. ;)

In order, a GM neds to draft well, manage contracts well (primarily renewing contracts) and then scour the waiver wire.  Mac, perhaps really Brian Heimerdinger, is best at the last one.

The last one is helpful if you can convert the good ones into long term players.  The first two allow you to build a cohesive team over time, because those players can be with your team over time.  the Jets have 4 wins, and not 0 or 1, because of their one year rentals, so if they are not renewed (or if they have nothing left to renew), the Jets end up with a 5 win draft pick but are really a 1 win team, so they really are not set up to improve. 

Mac gets crucified on this site for just about everything thing he has done and IMO he has done some good things that he is not given credit for like some of the players he has signed and have performed well among other things. I don't think his drafting is all that bad either although he has made his share of mistakes just like most GM's. 

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

Mac gets crucified on this site for just about everything thing he has done and IMO he has done some good things that he is not given credit for like some of the players he has signed and have performed well among other things. I don't think his drafting is all that bad either although he has made his share of mistakes just like most GM's. 

His best trait as a GM is scouting the waiver wire. His worst trait, so far as I see it, is big money acquisitions. But that’s is dependent partially on the market

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think ASJ will command a lot of $ given his history and not flashy numbers. I don't want to see the Jets spend a mid round pick on a TE. The daft picks should be going to OL, QB, RB, CB. I'd even take 3 OL as the line is just that bad. Plus you still have Legget to develop.

35 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I don't think ASJ will command a lot of $ given his history and not flashy numbers. I don't want to see the Jets spend a mid round pick on a TE. The daft picks should be going to OL, QB, RB, CB. I'd even take 3 OL as the line is just that bad. Plus you still have Legget to develop.

My point is he may command more money than he's worth because of the position. Maybe he doesn't, and that would be great. But if he does this is not the type of player that you pay. If the market sets him at Fleener, that has to be a pass. That the Jets have cap room to spend does not give them license to spend it frivolously.  A key component to building a sustainable team - defined as having rosters that can compete for the playoffs annually - is to have players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the field. The most surefire way to accomplish that aspect is to concentrate your cheap resources on the positions that can yield successful results; i.e. the positions that are easier to find than quarterbacks, blindside protectors, pass rushers, corners...etc. The consequence of not doing this is that you pay tight ends and use high picks on linebackers and safeties, cutting yourself off at the knees.

With respect to skill positions that the Jets need, this is exactly where the Jets have gone wrong and it is why they are down on literally all of them. That's what you use high picks on because the draft is about playing the odds. Cheap OL come be found the mid-rounds, cheap safeties and tight ends come in the mid-rounds...etc. The odds of finding an average player at lower value positions in the 3rd through 5th/6th rounds are exponentially higher than finding a quarterback or a corner.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

My point is he may command more money than he's worth because of the position. Maybe he doesn't, and that would be great. But if he does this is not the type of player that you pay. If the market sets him at Fleener, that has to be a pass. That the Jets have cap room to spend does not give them license to spend it frivolously.  A key component to building a sustainable team - defined as having rosters that can compete for the playoffs annually - is to have players on contracts that are cheaper than the results they give you on the field.

With respect to skill positions that the Jets need, this is exactly where the Jets have gone wrong and it is why they are down on literally all of them. That's what you use high picks on because the draft is about playing the odds. Cheap OL come be found the mid-rounds, cheap safeties and tight ends come in the mid-rounds...etc. The odds of finding an average player at lower value positions in the 3rd through 5th/6th rounds are exponentially higher than finding a quarterback or a corner.

I agree about giving top $ to ASJ - but I just don't see him getting that kind of $ n FA given his history. We shall see...

As far as OL - to me it all starts in the trenches and the Jets are god awful there. Outside of QB or edge rusher, I want the Jets to take OL in the high rounds and build a strong OL. I wouldn't be opposed to using 3 picks there (depending on what they do in FA).

Archived