5 Jets deserving of extensions before the offseason

Steveg

On 11/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Steveg said:

CB Morris Claiborne

2017 Salary: $5 million

Besides dealing with the injury bug that has hampered him his whole career over the past couple of weeks, Claiborne has been the No. 1 corner that the Jets needed after last year’s disaster in the secondary.

Maccagnan took a chance on bringing in the injury-riddled Claiborne and his gamble has paid dividends. While his injury history remains a cause for concern moving forward, Maccagnan should extend Claiborne as soon as possible in order to avoid a bidding war for his services in free agency.

LB Demario Davis

2017 Salary: $2.2 million

When the Jets re-acquired Demario Davis in a trade with the Cleveland Browns this summer, nobody could’ve expected the linebacker was going to be this good for the Jets in 2017.

Davis is a changed man in his second stint with the Jets, leading the team with 82 tackles through 10 games while taking an increased leadership role, specifically taking second-year linebacker Darron Lee under his wing.

Not only does his play warrant an extension, but Davis’ newfound leadership skills should make bringing him back for 2018 and beyond a priority for the front office.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

2017 Salary: $1.3 million

With the way that Seferian-Jenkins has played this season, bringing the tight end back into the Jets offense was the best decision Todd Bowles has made in his time with the Jets.

The 25-year-old leads the Jets in receptions with 39 and provides McCown with a reliable red zone target when needed. Seferian-Jenkins has dealt with some well-publicized problems in the past, but he is young and has proven that he has not only cleaned up his act, but improved his game as well.

The strides that he has made while in New York should be celebrated and Maccagnan should reward Seferian-Jenkins with a contract extension.

K Chandler Catanzaro

2017 Salary: $900,000

Catanzaro has gone from an inaccurate, unreliable kicker with the Arizona Cardinals to a stud for the Jets in 2017, nailing 16 of 20 field goals so far this season.

Like almost every other player on this list, Catanzaro is relatively young at 26 and deserves to be brought back for the 2018 season.

DE Kony Ealy

2017 Salary: $886,707

Ealy came to New York later than anybody on this list but has made almost the same, if not more, of an impact in his time with the Jets.

He has helped to improve the Jets pass rush and leads the league in passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by defensive linemen with nine. At 25 years old, Ealy could be an integral part of the Jets defense for years to come and Maccagnan should realize this and pounce on the opportunity to extend his contract.

Did you create this break down?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Mac gets crucified on this site for just about everything thing he has done and IMO he has done some good things that he is not given credit for like some of the players he has signed and have performed well among other things. I don't think his drafting is all that bad either although he has made his share of mistakes just like most GM's. 

These mostly forgettable players are among his crowning achievements after 3 years, some 25-30 draft picks spent (including those traded away), and some $300m in contracts awarded.

He doesn't get crucified for everything he has done. Just the bad things. It's not the JN posters' faults that more than 90% of the things he's done (and passed up on doing) are bad things.

On 11/18/2017 at 12:24 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

His best trait as a GM is scouting the waiver wire. His worst trait, so far as I see it, is big money acquisitions. But that’s is dependent partially on the market

Well that and all his drafting sucks d-ck

On 11/18/2017 at 4:30 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

These mostly forgettable players are among his crowning achievements after 3 years, some 25-30 draft picks spent (including those traded away), and some $300m in contracts awarded.

He doesn't get crucified for everything he has done. Just the bad things. It's not the JN posters' faults that more than 90% of the things he's done (and passed up on doing) are bad things.

Yeah but Idzik

I think Davis and ASJ should be the main targets we'd like to lock up. (I'd like to see 3 year deals with all the guaranteed money coming in the first 2) I do think it will cost more than @Sperm Edwards would like to pay so I don't foresee a situation where you'll be happy with us retaining them. With Claiborne I'd be willing to let him test FA, I wouldn't mind a 3 year incentive based deal that pays him when healthy. I do think that we should go out and try to find another CB regardless. I'd like to keep Ealy but if he's looking for Hankins kind of money then he can leave. I don't see why we wouldn't bring back Catanzaro, we can always bring in competition in camp if needed.

Assuming we cut Mo, Skrine, & Forte we should be sitting close to $90M in cap. So while I don't want us to go crazy with contracts I would like us to keep our guys so there are less holes come draft time.

I think the biggest downer for me is I don't think there will be any pass rushers that hit FA, I'd be more than happy to break the bank for Ziggy but I'd have to imagine he gets tagged. Outside of our own FAs I'd like to see us inquire about Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Landry & Trumaine Johnson. If we retain our current draft picks, I'd like to see us go:

1) QB

2a) Pass Rusher

2b) Center

3) Pass Rusher

Ideally we finish with a bad enough record and like multiple QBs so we don't NEED to trade up but if we are locking in on 1 or 2 guys I hope Macc is willing to do what is needed to get that QB. 

*Side Note = Does anyone know how much cap are we allowed to roll over into the following year? Is there a certain amount we are required to spend this offseason?

3 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think Davis and ASJ should be the main targets we'd like to lock up. (I'd like to see 3 year deals with all the guaranteed money coming in the first 2) I do think it will cost more than @Sperm Edwards would like to pay so I don't foresee a situation where you'll be happy with us retaining them. With Claiborne I'd be willing to let him test FA, I wouldn't mind a 3 year incentive based deal that pays him when healthy. I do think that we should go out and try to find another CB regardless. I'd like to keep Ealy but if he's looking for Hankins kind of money then he can leave. I don't see why we wouldn't bring back Catanzaro, we can always bring in competition in camp if needed.

Assuming we cut Mo, Skrine, & Forte we should be sitting close to $90M in cap. So while I don't want us to go crazy with contracts I would like us to keep our guys so there are less holes come draft time.

I think the biggest downer for me is I don't think there will be any pass rushers that hit FA, I'd be more than happy to break the bank for Ziggy but I'd have to imagine he gets tagged. Outside of our own FAs I'd like to see us inquire about Le'Veon Bell, Jarvis Landry & Trumaine Johnson. If we retain our current draft picks, I'd like to see us go:

1) QB

2a) Pass Rusher

2b) Center

3) Pass Rusher

Ideally we finish with a bad enough record and like multiple QBs so we don't NEED to trade up but if we are locking in on 1 or 2 guys I hope Macc is willing to do what is needed to get that QB. 

*Side Note = Does anyone know how much cap are we allowed to roll over into the following year? Is there a certain amount we are required to spend this offseason?

If we're going to bring them back next year, then why aren't they extended already? The maximum they're going to be is after the season's over. But then, that's this GM's m-o. 

The FA QB route is too convenient and fits what he likes to do too well to not see that as the likely outcome. We'll find out for sure in 5-6 months, of course, but that's how things look to me right now. Really depends upon how available Cousins is. If Washington extends him, it necessarily drives up the price for Smith (if he's even available; for all we know KC's going to end up in the SB with him at QB). 

41 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If we're going to bring them back next year, then why aren't they extended already? The maximum they're going to be is after the season's over. But then, that's this GM's m-o. 

The FA QB route is too convenient and fits what he likes to do too well to not see that as the likely outcome. We'll find out for sure in 5-6 months, of course, but that's how things look to me right now. Really depends upon how available Cousins is. If Washington extends him, it necessarily drives up the price for Smith (if he's even available; for all we know KC's going to end up in the SB with him at QB). 

I think there will be other options as well. Taylor whom nobody really wants.

Keenum who is earning a ton of money right now in Minnesota for the future

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the reason is because we didn't know if ASJ would stay out of trouble, we didn't know if Claiborne would stay healthy, and I'm sure they wanted to see a productive season from Davis and Ealy before extending. We'll have 2 months between when the season ends and FA begins to discuss contracts which allows for us to see if they'll stay healthy/continue to play at a sustained level. It's a gamble for both sides because we can offer something before they are allowed to negotiate with other teams, if they decide to test the market then they could get lucky and have teams bid for their services or they could fall flat and not be offered as much. I think ASJ is the only player that we could get into some sort of bidding war for if we allow to actually hit FA but I could see us tag him. 

On 11/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Steveg said:

CB Morris Claiborne

2017 Salary: $5 million

Besides dealing with the injury bug that has hampered him his whole career over the past couple of weeks, Claiborne has been the No. 1 corner that the Jets needed after last year’s disaster in the secondary.

Maccagnan took a chance on bringing in the injury-riddled Claiborne and his gamble has paid dividends. While his injury history remains a cause for concern moving forward, Maccagnan should extend Claiborne as soon as possible in order to avoid a bidding war for his services in free agency.

LB Demario Davis

2017 Salary: $2.2 million

When the Jets re-acquired Demario Davis in a trade with the Cleveland Browns this summer, nobody could’ve expected the linebacker was going to be this good for the Jets in 2017.

Davis is a changed man in his second stint with the Jets, leading the team with 82 tackles through 10 games while taking an increased leadership role, specifically taking second-year linebacker Darron Lee under his wing.

Not only does his play warrant an extension, but Davis’ newfound leadership skills should make bringing him back for 2018 and beyond a priority for the front office.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins

2017 Salary: $1.3 million

With the way that Seferian-Jenkins has played this season, bringing the tight end back into the Jets offense was the best decision Todd Bowles has made in his time with the Jets.

The 25-year-old leads the Jets in receptions with 39 and provides McCown with a reliable red zone target when needed. Seferian-Jenkins has dealt with some well-publicized problems in the past, but he is young and has proven that he has not only cleaned up his act, but improved his game as well.

The strides that he has made while in New York should be celebrated and Maccagnan should reward Seferian-Jenkins with a contract extension.

K Chandler Catanzaro

2017 Salary: $900,000

Catanzaro has gone from an inaccurate, unreliable kicker with the Arizona Cardinals to a stud for the Jets in 2017, nailing 16 of 20 field goals so far this season.

Like almost every other player on this list, Catanzaro is relatively young at 26 and deserves to be brought back for the 2018 season.

DE Kony Ealy

2017 Salary: $886,707

Ealy came to New York later than anybody on this list but has made almost the same, if not more, of an impact in his time with the Jets.

He has helped to improve the Jets pass rush and leads the league in passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by defensive linemen with nine. At 25 years old, Ealy could be an integral part of the Jets defense for years to come and Maccagnan should realize this and pounce on the opportunity to extend his contract.

The kicker by all accounts shouldn’t even have made the team this year. There was a kid who did sales for ibm who outplayed him in the preseason. What an odd choice for your list. 

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No it doesn’t. I’ve seen John idzik draft. That was bad drafting

More than one guy can't draft like sh*t?  This is like saying that Jerry Reese is a great GM because he is better than Maccagnan.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think there will be other options as well. Taylor whom nobody really wants.

Keenum who is earning a ton of money right now in Minnesota for the future

I think teams will want Taylor.  Plenty.  Is the Keenum thing a typo?  He makes $2M.  If that is a ton, how do you support giving an old stiff three times as much?

"Deserve" is a strong word.  For the part part, these players have performed up to expectations.  I don't see anyone on the list that has blown past expectations and should be signed at all costs.  They are all replaceable, and they all continue to have question marks.

1. Claiborne - Injury concerns haven't disappeared after only 10 games.  Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.

2. Davis - By all accounts, a good leader.  I'd like to see him continue in his progression.  He had some shaky performances early in the season.  I'm not a huge fan of giving a big contract to a thumper in the middle, especially one who has some mileage on him already.  It's a young man's game.

3. ASJ - Seems to have cleaned up his life, but a troubled past can't be completely discounted so quickly.  A relapse is possible (especially after a big contract), and he's one strike away from a lengthy suspension.  He has shown some flashes of being a terrific player, but he's also had his fair share of drive crippling penalties.

4. Catanzaro -  A "stud" by going 16/20?  That's a stretch.  Those numbers are average, just enough to keep a job in today's NFL.

5. Ealy - He's done well, but battled passes at the line can be a very streaky, fluky type of stat.  I'm not a huge fan of giving yet another run stuffing DE a big contract.  He's a decent role player, that's about it.

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think the reason is because we didn't know if ASJ would stay out of trouble, we didn't know if Claiborne would stay healthy, and I'm sure they wanted to see a productive season from Davis and Ealy before extending. We'll have 2 months between when the season ends and FA begins to discuss contracts which allows for us to see if they'll stay healthy/continue to play at a sustained level. It's a gamble for both sides because we can offer something before they are allowed to negotiate with other teams, if they decide to test the market then they could get lucky and have teams bid for their services or they could fall flat and not be offered as much. I think ASJ is the only player that we could get into some sort of bidding war for if we allow to actually hit FA but I could see us tag him. 

I was talking about right now. A week or two ago, today, tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I was talking about right now. A week or two ago, today, tomorrow.

It's because aside from free agency, none of the players have a reason to sign now unless we "overpay".

There have been less then 10 re-signings since the season started, highlighted by Telvin Smith, Steven Tuitt, Donald Penn and recently Larry Fitz.  That is very few considering how many players have FA coming up.  

We also have no idea what conversations Mac has had with the agents of these guys.  There is no way we have approached Clairbrone while he is currently hurt (again).  Ealy also has had some motor questions throughout his career, that may keep a potential "FA frenzy" for him from being a big issue.

DD and ASJ are players that I hope Mac has approached to let know he would like them to be here and gave some parameters as far as where the Jets are contract wise with an offer to guarantee them future money in case they get hurt over the last few weeks.

I just dont think its as easy as people think to extend guys before they hit FA.

41 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think my comment still stands. Why extend mid season when the player could potentially get hurt or decline. I don't think any of their value will go up much between now and FA.

Because its technically easier to negotiate with a player when no one else is bidding for them.  The issue is for the player and especially the agent, its better for them to have interest from other teams to drive the price, which is why in season extensions dont happen very often.

Plus, as far as injuries, given that we are 9 months from opening day, there are very few injuries that would hurt the Jets as far as not having the player for the start of the season.  The player on the other hand risks having to negotiate a contract while hurt which is bad for them (obviously).

We do have players who IMO are good candidates for extensions now, but its not an easy thing for Mac to do.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

It's because aside from free agency, none of the players have a reason to sign now unless we "overpay".

There have been less then 10 re-signings since the season started, highlighted by Telvin Smith, Steven Tuitt, Donald Penn and recently Larry Fitz.  That is very few considering how many players have FA coming up.  

We also have no idea what conversations Mac has had with the agents of these guys.  There is no way we have approached Clairbrone while he is currently hurt (again).  Ealy also has had some motor questions throughout his career, that may keep a potential "FA frenzy" for him from being a big issue.

DD and ASJ are players that I hope Mac has approached to let know he would like them to be here and gave some parameters as far as where the Jets are contract wise with an offer to guarantee them future money in case they get hurt over the last few weeks.

I just dont think its as easy as people think to extend guys before they hit FA.

This nonsense is regurgitated every time Maccagnan doesn't re-sign someone while other teams' GMs do. Most of them do these signings before the season starts, and don't wait until the season is underway.

The reason is there are several games left in which they can get injured right before they hit free agency.

Can you name 1 player he's re-signed, in 3 seasons, where he didn't wait until after the final game was played to lock up the player? Name another NFL team that's had that record of ineptitude.

You may doubt the "ease" all you want, but across the league, the majority of veterans retained by their teams were extended prior to their last contracts expired. The Maccagnan Jets are the rare exception, not the rule.

57 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think my comment still stands. Why extend mid season when the player could potentially get hurt or decline. I don't think any of their value will go up much between now and FA.

Players don't get hurt more than they do get hurt. The risk is there, but the likelihood is we'll end up on top in the long run. 

It's precisely the reason most teams do extend their players before their current contracts expire (unless they didn't really want to extend the player in the first place, or didn't want to extend the player at the new amount he commands).

On 11/18/2017 at 5:33 AM, Hael said:

He's the best player on our defense this year.  When he's off the field or struggling with an injury all of a sudden our D goes from being average to really bad in a hurry.

He's going to be payed like a top 10 cb next year, so its likely that we won't be able to keep him (it doesn't make sense to pay a high price cb FA for a rebuilding team).

The ones to pay are ASJ, Ealy and Catanzaro and Davis.  They're all young, have some debt towards us and can still be had for less than market rate.

There is no way in hell Claiborne is getting top 10 CB money! Not with his injury history. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Players don't get hurt more than they do get hurt. The risk is there, but the likelihood is we'll end up on top in the long run. 

It's precisely the reason most teams do extend their players before their current contracts expire (unless they didn't really want to extend the player in the first place, or didn't want to extend the player at the new amount he commands).

Sure if we resigned ASJ before the season he'd be far cheaper but until he played this year there wasn't much reason to believe we would want to resign him. Claiborne, Davis, & Ealy were all on 1 year deals, I'd assume we'd want to see how they play before giving them a longer contract. So which FA's did you want to lock up early? Most teams don't resign players mid season. 

41 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Because its technically easier to negotiate with a player when no one else is bidding for them.  The issue is for the player and especially the agent, its better for them to have interest from other teams to drive the price, which is why in season extensions dont happen very often.

Plus, as far as injuries, given that we are 9 months from opening day, there are very few injuries that would hurt the Jets as far as not having the player for the start of the season.  The player on the other hand risks having to negotiate a contract while hurt which is bad for them (obviously).

We do have players who IMO are good candidates for extensions now, but its not an easy thing for Mac to do.

My point is I don't foresee any of these players raising their value that much more than it already is, especially with the games we have left. I think whatever rate we'd ink them for now is going to be relatively similar come March so let the season play out. It doesn't happen often but if a player tears an ACL in the next 6 weeks there is no guarantee that they will be ready for the start of next season and even then they'd likely miss all of training camp and preseason. I agree most injuries are minor and probably won't effect a contract too much but I don't think the risk of waiting is going to cost us a significant amount more.

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This nonsense is regurgitated every time Maccagnan doesn't re-sign someone while other teams' GMs do. Most of them do these signings before the season starts, and don't wait until the season is underway.

The reason is there are several games left in which they can get injured right before they hit free agency.

Can you name 1 player he's re-signed, in 3 seasons, where he didn't wait until after the final game was played to lock up the player? Name another NFL team that's had that record of ineptitude.

You may doubt the "ease" all you want, but across the league, the majority of veterans retained by their teams were extended prior to their last contracts expired. The Maccagnan Jets are the rare exception, not the rule.

We signed Brian Winters prior to FA, however im guessing thats not good enough because you wanted to ensure that youre right by saying before their last game.

The pats signed Hightower after FA started as did the Ravens with Brandon Williams and saints with Nick Fairley.  This also doesnt count guys on the franchise tag.

Look, im not gonna research every signing in history and a agree I hope Macc is making an effort to lock up some of these guys, but the blanket statement that every team does it and we dont is an exaggeration.  Personally im more suprised we dont lock up lower tier guys like Eric Tomlinson who would be out of the league if they get hurt and need the security more then someone like Ealy.

This doesn't have to do with the 5 guys who 'deserve and extension' but I didn't want to start a new thread over this post.

Why the hell did we give Ijalana 4.5 million dollars this year?  I said it was stupid at the time.  The guy has had 15 offensive snaps this year.  more money down the toilet by our savvy GM.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

This doesn't have to do with the 5 guys who 'deserve and extension' but I didn't want to start a new thread over this post.

Why the hell did we give Ijalana 4.5 million dollars this year?  I said it was stupid at the time.  The guy has had 15 offensive snaps this year.  more money down the toilet by our savvy GM.

My only thought is if they weren't sure if Beachum would remain healthy. He's been hurt each of the last 2 years. Given we have $18M in cap right now I can't imagine it prevented us from signing anyone. The insurance policy was probably worth it in Macc's eyes as opposed to having the extra $4.5M this offseason.

23 hours ago, BCJet said:

We signed Brian Winters prior to FA, however im guessing thats not good enough because you wanted to ensure that youre right by saying before their last game.

The pats signed Hightower after FA started as did the Ravens with Brandon Williams and saints with Nick Fairley.  This also doesnt count guys on the franchise tag.

Look, im not gonna research every signing in history and a agree I hope Macc is making an effort to lock up some of these guys, but the blanket statement that every team does it and we dont is an exaggeration.  Personally im more suprised we dont lock up lower tier guys like Eric Tomlinson who would be out of the league if they get hurt and need the security more then someone like Ealy.

We signed Winters after his last game was played on his rookie contract. As a direct result of that, we had to overbid to prevent him from reaching FA, because at that point his risk is over.

It's the significant minority of players who are extended after their last game of the prior contract is over (after the player's injury risk is gone). We went through this when Winters was extended and it was like a 2:1 margin. 

You shouldn't be surprised we didn't lock up even lower tier guys; he doesn't lock up anyone until they've played their last down for the Jets, where we now have to be the highest bidder to keep them; a scenario that should have and could have been easily avoided by any GM with some foresight.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We signed Winters after his last game was played on his rookie contract. As a direct result of that, we had to overbid to prevent him from reaching FA, because at that point his risk is over.

It's the significant minority of players who are extended after their last game of the prior contract is over (after the player's injury risk is gone). We went through this when Winters was extended and it was like a 2:1 margin. 

You shouldn't be surprised we didn't lock up even lower tier guys; he doesn't lock up anyone until they've played their last down for the Jets, where we now have to be the highest bidder to keep them; a scenario that should have and could have been easily avoided by any GM with some foresight.

I'm still confused why you wanted to resign Claiborne, Ealy, or Davis before they played a down for us this year. I'd rather see what those players have before extending them. If NFL players were constantly extended mid season then maybe I'd think differently but that just doesn't happen often. Only player you really could have an argument for is ASJ but even then he has just been suspended.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:56 PM, BCJet said:

Id like to open the kicking competition and see if Martin can overtake Catanzaro.  

He basically out produced Catanzaro on FGs and the company line as to why he got cut was that Catanzaro was better on kickoffs, which more then likely is more Bowles preferring yet another veteran.  For a season where if we missed a FG here or there really doesnt matter, to me we should have gone with the young guy to see what hes got in real game situations.

Plus he will likely play for the minimum vs $2 per year for Catanzaro

Jets are 8th in touchbacks. Carolina is 1st

Where is Martin now with all the teams shuffling kickers (TB, Chi etc..)

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

On 11/22/2017 at 7:27 PM, bla bla bla said:

I'm still confused why you wanted to resign Claiborne, Ealy, or Davis before they played a down for us this year. I'd rather see what those players have before extending them. If NFL players were constantly extended mid season then maybe I'd think differently but that just doesn't happen often. Only player you really could have an argument for is ASJ but even then he has just been suspended.

I never said I wanted to extend any of them before the season. That's you saying I wanted to re-sign them before they played a down for us.

Everyone wants to wait on every player. Big deal. Like many things in life, it's a matter of risk vs reward.

Problem is if you do you also end up paying a premium by waiting until their last game is over. Then these supposed great finds end up being nothing of the sort, because then every team has a crack at them after we took the risk on them with a roster spot and playing time.  In the end, all we'll have ended up with is either a nice surprise in a season where the primary goal was salary purging (where we had no shot anyway), or being the highest bidder for each them to keep them in a season that might hopefully count. Not much of a victory in either case.

What I was saying - and here it is again - is that if we're going to extend them then don't wait until the end of the season when their injury risk is over, after which we have to be the NFL's highest bidder.

You think it's an accident that the only starting LT that seems to hit free agency is someone like Okung, whose prior team never even offered him an extension, or Beachum who was similarly let go by his prior team(s)? The better ones never see free agency because their teams' GMs aren't stupid enough to wait that long. That's how we end up paying $7.5m/year with 2 years guaranteed to the likes of Brian Winters.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I never said I wanted to extend any of them before the season. That's you saying I wanted to re-sign them before they played a down for us.

Everyone wants to wait on every player. Big deal. Like many things in life, it's a matter of risk vs reward.

Problem is if you do you also end up paying a premium by waiting until their last game is over. Then these supposed great finds end up being nothing of the sort, because then every team has a crack at them after we took the risk on them with a roster spot and playing time.  In the end, all we'll have ended up with is either a nice surprise in a season where the primary goal was salary purging (where we had no shot anyway), or being the highest bidder for each them to keep them in a season that might hopefully count. Not much of a victory in either case.

What I was saying - and here it is again - is that if we're going to extend them then don't wait until the end of the season when their injury risk is over, after which we have to be the NFL's highest bidder.

You think it's an accident that the only starting LT that seems to hit free agency is someone like Okung, whose prior team never even offered him an extension, or Beachum who was similarly let go by his prior team(s)? The better ones never see free agency because their teams' GMs aren't stupid enough to wait that long. That's how we end up paying $7.5m/year with 2 years guaranteed to the likes of Brian Winters.

Of course waiting until the end of the season FAs will be at their highest price. I'm curious as to what type of deals you think these players would take now as opposed to after the season. My point is I don't think the contract now will be that much different than the 2 months prior to FA. I also think their value could even be lower given the harder schedule we are going to face.

Beachum was an injury risk who played well prior to his injury. Those are the types of players you have to gamble on because most good LT never hit FA. I get people don't like the Winters contract but I also don't think that deal prevented us from signing anyone last offseason and I don't believe it will prevent us from signing anyone this offseason. It's Woody's money, unless that deal hurt us in some other way I could careless what the amount is really for.

Archived