Bye Week Blues

Maxman

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

You are correct.

We replaced an oil fired boiler with the Navien nat gas condensing boiler.

Replacing a warm air furnace with a nat gas boiler would entail a lot of hydronic baseboard being installed.

Much more material / labor / plumbing = ^ cost.

Personally I would still do it.

------------

Years back I owned a home with a forced air furnace and it was a dry, dusty, sneeze fest. Added a humidifier to the system and a few years later a mold problem in the duct work ensued.

One plus I can think of with warm air furnaces is that if the home has central AC the duct work can be used for both heating and cooling.

In our current home when we did the natural gas boiler conversion we also removed all duct work and installed 5 Mitsubishi mini-split AC /Heat pump combo units.

We save energy cooling rooms as needed without cooling unused areas plus the heat pumps (reverse AC) in them work so well we are only using the gas boiler for heat in dec jan feb mar.

That's all good, but definitely a summer project. Week of Thanksgiving probably going to be a same for same swap out.

The conversion idea has become so popular many oil companies got into the propane business.

I also love nesting thermostats

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's actually one of the rare times the Lions game looks like an important matchup (and both early games should be good).

7-2 Vikings @ 5-4 Lions

7-2 Rams @ 5-4 Cowboys

But maybe you'll be home in time for kickoff for:

1-8 NYG @ 4-5 Redskins

I haven't watched a lot of Jets football this year and maybe 2 other games

NFL is on the way down for me. 

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Should we start saying our goodbyes now? 

I'm about as diehard as they come, from 1980 to 2015 I didn't miss a single Jets game either live or on TV in that entire span, same for now.  Love the Jets, that won't change.

But on the rest of the NFL schedule it's been a slow fade for me these last two seasons, I just can't get excited to watch any other two teams play.  Where I used to religiously watch and look forward to Monday nighters, Sunday nighters, and even Thursday nighters, these last few years I don't even know who's playing nor do I watch.  There's no draw.  There is no team I enjoy watching, no star player whose skill is a must- watch, no head coach I respect to that degree.

If the NFL can lose me, they're in trouble.

On 11/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Maxman said:

I feel so sorry for the tank crowd right now. No Jets loss to root for.  :)

What is everyone going to do on Sunday?

Re-wiring a bit of electrical outlets and lights for the new woodshed Im building, then eating burgers/ham and swiss/cereal/chicken legs/popcorn.

9 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

If natural gas is available from your utility company switch now. You will never ever regret it and will be so happy if you made the switch.

I did this 5 years ago and my heating cost is halved, no longer worry about wild price fluctuations from year to year, never worry about running out of oil, frozen oil lines, yearly tune ups, and the unit is very clean so quiet and sootless. So many benefits. Unit is about the size of a large suitcase, makes hot water instantly on demand (never a shortage) No hot water tanks to maintain. Chimney no longer needed it vents out a wall with a PVC pipe.. Plus you can save a lot of electricity by running a gas clothes dryer, stove etc, we also hooked up a BBQ and never deal with refills anymore.

o.jpg

Is that a whole house unit? Just heats water, right?

4 hours ago, Larz said:

That's all good, but definitely a summer project. Week of Thanksgiving probably going to be a same for same swap out.

The conversion idea has become so popular many oil companies got into the propane business.

I also love nesting thermostats

Right you are. Tough time of year to be looking to start that project. If it were my house I would get the old boiler working with paper clips rubber band duct tape what ever it takes (and make sure portable heaters were on the ready) for one more season and then kick it to the curb in the spring.

First off if you live in Fla this would be WAY overkill for you.

But if you live in a state where winter is a true winter like here in NY then it is worth looking into.

Where I live natural gas is in the street available from National Grid.

In addition to natural gas heating we cook and dry clothes with it.

Larz pointed out these condensing boilers can also run off propane if natural gas is not available from your utility.

I cant really speak on the efficiency of that fuel as I have no experience with propane as a heating fuel.

Maybe Larz can enlighten.

Price?

As Larz pointed out it is way more expensive if someone is converting from a warm air oil fired furnace because the switch would also entail installing hydronic (hot water) baseboards into each room. Lots of plumbing work, cutting drilling floors walls for access etc.

If you are looking to replace an old oil fired boiler and already have the hydronic baseboards in place that would significantly lower the cost.

My present home had an old oil fired boiler so the existing baseboards were connected to the new gas fired condensing boiler.

5 years ago it cost in the 6K range.

Our heating costs were halved

The old boiler was loud smelly and huge footprint. 

The new one is so quiet, no odors and just hangs on a wall.

Got rid of an old brick chimney that was in bad shape and an oil tank on the side of the house that was ugly and old.

Hot water is never ending. 

The unit we had put in is made by Navien.

We are happy with it but there are other brands with good performance as well. For instance my son has an Alpine boiler and it is performing just as well.

Did I mention no more worries about fuel deliveries and crazy price spikes?

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

I'm about as diehard as they come, from 1980 to 2015 I didn't miss a single Jets game either live or on TV in that entire span, same for now.  Love the Jets, that won't change.

But on the rest of the NFL schedule it's been a slow fade for me these last two seasons, I just can't get excited to watch any other two teams play.  Where I used to religiously watch and look forward to Monday nighters, Sunday nighters, and even Thursday nighters, these last few years I don't even know who's playing nor do I watch.  There's no draw.  There is no team I enjoy watching, no star player whose skill is a must- watch, no head coach I respect to that degree.

If the NFL can lose me, they're in trouble.

Cowboys/Eagles tonight - I had the game on (probably out of habit) but turned it off out of boredom.  The NFL is really losing the magic it once had.  And for me it's not about the flag protests at all.  I just find the games to not be very interesting these days.

Archived