Saturday College Gameday Thread - Nov 18

Lith

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I don’t really buy that. I don’t think the Giants have extra picks to try and do it.  They need an OL first.

Eh?  The Giants where they are now are in a position to draft one of the top 2 without trading up, the jets have to trade up and cough up some significant draft picks.  Thus they are better positioned to get the qb and address oline over the next two years.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paradis said:

What the fck? I'm the same age as McCown -- does that mean you'll lump me in the same category as Manning too? 

The hell are you talking about?

This year the Jets and Giants are similar situations with their QBs. And interestingly, if the Giants do draft a QB., they will have essentially wasted a second round pick in Davis Webb. Sound familiar?

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Difference is they have a QB. Aging, yes, but he can win games behind a good offense. Not the same situations IMO

But do you pass up a chance at a franchise QB for the next 10-12 years to try to make one last run with an aging, mediocre QB and a flawed roster.  Or do you press the reset button, move on from Eli and build around a new guy.  Especially if you are a new GM with a new HC and a 1 or 2 overall pick.  You can address OL in Rd 2 or FA.  If it is me, I am not passing on the QB.  If Eli was 27, thats another story, but at 37, what are the chances he has another magical post season run in him.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Eh?  The Giants where they are now are in a position to draft one of the top 2 without trading up, the jets have to trade up and cough up some significant draft picks.  Thus they are better positioned to get the qb and address oline over the next two years.

No. Because they have to prove they can draft competent OL. It’s the same reason Browns fans shouldn’t be happy about having so much draft captial. They haven’t shown that they can use it properly. The Jets also almost to the same extent, but I give us a better chance on hitting pick than Cleveland. Giants should have a new GM so we will see about them

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

still not following. How is NYG in a great spot?

By burning the #2 pick on a QB they don't quite need yet, while pushing other need down/into the future? That's a great spot? -- better than trading back and addressing those needs now and getting a head start on that? You have to be pretty sold a quarterback you plan to sit behind Eli for anywhere from a year to years plural. 

Not saying it's nonsensical, but i think everyone's getting ahead of themselves with predicting what the Giants will do. 

*edit - nvm, i see what you meant. 

Just now, Paradis said:

still not following. How is NYG in a great spot?

By burning the #2 pick on a QB they don't quite need yet, while pushing other need down/into the future? That's a great spot? -- better than trading back and addressing those needs now and getting a head start on that? You have to be pretty sold a quarterback you plan to sit behind Eli for anywhere from a year to years plural. 

Not saying it's nonsensical, but i think everyone's getting ahead of themselves with predicting what the Giants will do. 

I am saying they are in a better spot than we are in.  Manning is close to being done.  He simply has shown no more than the guy we are playing now.  They won't have to trade up, we will they will have a pick this year and picks next year to address the oline, we won't

They have their #1 wr, they have a budding TEs star.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

But do you pass up a chance at a franchise QB for the next 10-12 years to try to make one last run with an aging, mediocre QB and a flawed roster.  Or do you press the reset button, move on from Eli and build around a new guy.  Especially if you are a new GM with a new HC and a 1 or 2 overall pick.  You can address OL in Rd 2 or FA.  If it is me, I am not passing on the QB.  If Eli was 27, thats another story, but at 37, what are the chances he has another magical post season run in him.

I personally can't see them "moving on from Eli"... not unless they felt the ground moving beneath their feet when scouting one of these guys. I don't think they'll have a crack at the top guy, and personally see the team using this opportunity to trade back, start to address their roster needs and stave off that QB pick another year or two. 

10 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No. Because they have to prove they can draft competent OL. It’s the same reason Browns fans shouldn’t be happy about having so much draft captial. They haven’t shown that they can use it properly. The Jets also almost to the same extent, but I give us a better chance on hitting pick than Cleveland. Giants should have a new GM so we will see about them

Wut?  They have drafted bad therefore its bad to have draft resources.  Makes a sh*t ton of sense son.

Well in that case the jets don't need any picks because mac has whiffed on quite a few.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why not take the gamble with a QB with huge upside in Lamar Hackenburg

In reality though I'm not a huge Lamar fan I also think he is good enough to gamble on as you say, far better than some others.  I would not be crushed if the jets took him.

Fair and you definitely know more about these guys than me and not going to pretend I know anything about how these prospects translate but love his game. Just read below though. If his running game does translate, that gives him time to work on his passing while also being an offensive weapon. Imagine the stress he puts on a D. You're going to have to spy, play man, and he can flick a pass to Robbie on the 9

2. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Stock Up, Slightly

A stat line of 15 completions on 26 attempts, 195 passing yards and three passing touchdowns isn't earth shattering, but Jackson was superb against a pesky Virginia club. He displayed impeccable touch on two touchdown passes, and pro-level pocket management on one of those strikes. Some of his incompletions were overthrows and forces down the middle of the field, but I'd like to take a moment to discuss something else, which I never thought I'd need to -- Jackson's running ability. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am saying they are in a better spot than we are in.  Manning is close to being done.  He simply has shown no more than the guy we are playing now.  They won't have to trade up, we will they will have a pick this year and picks next year to address the oline, we won't

They have their #1 wr, they have a budding TEs star.

In a vacuum I think they (the Giants) are in a better spot

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Wut?  They have drafted bad therefore its bad to have draft resources.  Makes a sh*t ton of sense son.

Well in that case the jets don't need any picks because mac has whiffed on quite a few.

Resources mean nothing when you suck at using them. Why are the Browns consistently drafting in the top ten? 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Resources mean nothing when you suck at using them. Why are the Browns consistently drafting in the top ten? 

Well obviously they will always be bad like the pats were once bad, like dallas was once bad, like the 49ers were once bad, etc etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well obviously they will always be bad like the pats were once bad, like dallas was once bad, like the 49ers were once bad, etc etc etc.

Dallas and San Francisco have really only been bad for a few year stretches. Dallas In the mid to late 80s and SF in the late 2000s and the mid to late 70s.

47 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The hell are you talking about?

This year the Jets and Giants are similar situations with their QBs. And interestingly, if the Giants do draft a QB., they will have essentially wasted a second round pick in Davis Webb. Sound familiar?

Webb was a third round pick, and somehow that's the least wrong thing in this post

44 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Mayfield plays like Sanchez. 

Interesting comparison, but I think the difference is that Sanchez could throw the ball a lot better; he was just a slow processor. Mayfield seems to know what he wants to do with the ball, but he’s not a great passer. 

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Yeah I’ve seen a lot people say, Giants probably don’t expect to pick this high very often. So when they do, take the QB and be set for the next decade when Eli is done. 

42 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I hope Allen and Darnold are in a shoot out tonight because after watching a 1/2 of Jackson, he is not going to be there when we pick.

He is throwing dimes in bad weather.

I’d like to see him go to Arizona. Somewhere that’ll use his talents 

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why?

Because football is the last sport that should be complaining about cocky athletes and if a crotch grab bothers people that much they have a myriad of issues to work out.

Kansas poked this bear, got exactly what they deserved, and it's been fun to watch.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d like to see him go to Arizona. Somewhere that’ll use his talents 

It would totally depend on what happens with Arians.  I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he would ever draft a QB like Lamar, let alone run an entire offense that he would need to be built around him.  He hates that type of thing.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

It would totally depend on what happens with Arians.  I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he would ever draft a QB like Lamar, let alone run an entire offense that he would need to be built around him.  He hates that type of thing.

I guess? It’s just hard to envision a team and a coach that would use Jackson’s talent, which says more about NFL coaching hires than anything else, I guess. They’re all still sitting around waiting on the next Phil Simms.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Because football is the last sport that should be complaining about cocky athletes and if a crotch grab bothers people that much they have a myriad of issues to work out.

Kansas poked this bear, got exactly what they deserved, and it's been fun to watch.

Agreed. Kansas, for a 1-9 team, to pull that sh*t was reprehensible and they deserved to be humiliated. 

Archived