Saturday College Gameday Thread - Nov 18

Lith

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess? It’s just hard to envision a team and a coach that would use Jackson’s talent, which says more about NFL coaching hires than anything else, I guess. They’re all still sitting around waiting on the next Phil Simms.

I agree to a degree.  I think if there's one thing that still holds true, it's that these kids still need to grow as a pocket passers to win the big dance.  Look at Cam Newton and Kaepernick as prime examples of this.  The mobility can help you put up numbers (ex: Cam's MVP 2015), but run into a competent defense (ex: 2015 Broncos), think that you can be lazy from the pocket (ex: Cam Super Bowl 50),  and you are going to be in a world of hurt.  What I do believe is wrong is thinking that you can't incorporate certain things to help these guys stay comfortable as they grow.  The way the Seahawks handled Russ and the way the Titans have handled Mariota, IMO, is the way to go about it.  That all being said, as much as Lamar has improved year after year, I don't know if he's at the level they were as passers when they declared. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe the announcers didn't call out Kansas more for the coin flip or for the repeated cheap shots during the game. A coach who condones such intention behavior in a pre game ceremony should be fired on the spot.

IMO Mayfield is a far superior prospect than Sanchez being a three year starter to Sanchez's one while displaying greater accuracy and far better pocket awareness. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. Kansas, for a 1-9 team, to pull that sh*t was reprehensible and they deserved to be humiliated. 

Don't shake the guys hand?  Silence.

Watch him get targeted with late hits and cheap shots?  Silence.

Crotch grab? "THUG!" "DISGUSTING!" "DAE SEE JOHNNY MANZIEL?!?!" "LITERALLY THE SPAWN OF SATAN AND HITLER!"

Lamar might not have a 12 year career as franchise monolith, but he could instantly put a talented team like DEN, JAX or CIN over IMO. Kind of like the way HOU was immediately uber-competitive when Watson came online. He's a baller, but it may not last forever. 

Just now, Mackman55 said:

Can't believe the announcers didn't call out Kansas more for the coin flip or for the repeated cheap shots during the game. A coach who condones such intention behavior in a pre game ceremony should be fired on the spot.

IMO Mayfield is a far superior prospect than Sanchez being a three year starter to Sanchez's one while displaying greater accuracy and far better pocket awareness. 

My favorite was Greg McElroy lecturing anyone about conduct considering he was blasted for flipping off Auburn fans during a game when he played at Bama.

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree to a degree.  I think if there's one thing that still holds true, it's that these kids still need to grow as a pocket passers to win the big dance.  Look at Cam Newton and Kaepernick as prime examples of this.  The mobility can help you put up numbers (ex: Cam's MVP 2015), but run into a competent defense (ex: 2015 Broncos), think that you can be lazy from the a pocket (ex: Cam Super Bowl 50),  and you are going to be in a world of hurt.  What I do believe is wrong is thinking that you can't incorporate certain things to help these guys stay comfortable as they grow.  The way the Seahawks handled Russ and the way the Titans have handled Mariota, IMO, is the way to go about it.  However, as much as Lamar has improved year after year, I don't know if he's at the level they were as passers when they declared. 

I’ve recently come to the belief that the future of nfl offense looks a lot more like 2017 Oklahoma State than the 86 Giants. Teams are finding out that waiting around for their own Tom Brady is a slow death, but a spread QB that can give them 5-6 good years is gold. 

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve recently come to the belief that the future of nfl offense looks a lot more like 2017 Oklahoma State than the 86 Giants. Teams are finding out that waiting around for their own Tom Brady is a slow death, but a spread QB that can give them 5-6 good years is gold. 

To whit: LSU and Tennessee keep trying to run plays where their QBs are expected to make reads and they’re both awwwwwwwwful teams with zero chance of success.

It makes me laugh that some people still think the top two teams will trade Rosen or Darnold. Not a chance forget it!!! - If it remains Brown, Giants both take the QB's and smile.

We have Mick Vick light (Jackson), Baker (crotch grab) Mayfield, Josh (Kyle Boller) Allen or Mason (Fitzpatrick) Rudolph, to select from. 

Im just hoping the one we pick can be a serviceable NFL QB.? 

The dreams of me seeing an actual Franchise QB for the Jets in my lifetime are slim, and more like zero. So I've lowered my expectations to serviceable!

That was a beautiful bomb Rosen just threw. Too bad he had it called back.  

Odell Beckham is salivating at the idea of catching those passes while Robby Anderson is crying at the thought of Check Down Charlie aka Alex Smith missing him on passes beyond six yards.

Give me Mayfield.  I want to take the guy who just wins and does all those small things.  I want to take a chance on a that model for a change over a guy like Darnold or Rosen who have the "prototype" this  or that, but just always kind of underwhelm.

Id be fine with Jackson too.

Great drive by Rosen, though.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Nice class of RBs coming out this year too.  Ronald Jones looks really good -- add him to the mix along with Love, Adams, Barkley & Guice.

Jones has been nothing short of dominating this year...

Man, the impact of SF beating NY is really hitting home right now. 

"How I killed Todd for Playing McCown All Year and Made It Look Like An Accident.

By Mike Maccagnan

Chapter 1.

It was a warm California night during our bye week.  I was watching the two golden arm children I coveted so much duke it it out for the right to be the future of an NFL franchise. Josh Rosen is currently telling Samuel to hold his big meaty jock.  I want him.  I need him.  There's only one problem.

Todd Bowles."

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Man, the impact of SF beating NY is really hitting home right now. 

Or, the impact of our awesome OT win against Jacksonville, followed by that sh!tshow in Cleveland where both teams reeked.  But it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Rosen is ******* awesome. Holy crap. I hope the 6 wins that McCown gets us this year was worth it.

What's even more impressive, is the team's commitment to McCown. Really classy making it harder for ourselves in april...  I woulda thought Macc would be proud to send his boy christian out there. 

Archived