Saturday College Gameday Thread - Nov 18

Lith

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Here we go with all the negativity towards Baker Mayfield... will any QB ever be good enough for some Jets fans.

We have to find the PERFECT QB. The QB Jets fans are looking for has a 100% completion %, can not throw any interceptions, must be able to run a 4.2 & they are fine with McCown until we find that guy.

Why does this thread even exist? We are drafting corner with out #1 and #2 pick, we will hear how they tried to trade up for Rosen or Darnold but didnt and we will pick some QB prospect in round 3 or 4 and sign another veteran loser that will start every game. Bowles and Mac are not getting fired, the Jets are too stupid to make the right move, and even if they did would just go out an find another DC flavor of the month that is allergic to offense. Screw this team. They are just half measure buffoons. 

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why does this thread even exist? We are drafting corner with out #1 and #2 pick, we will hear how they tried to trade up for Rosen or Darnold but didnt and we will pick some QB prospect in round 3 or 4 and sign another veteran loser that will start every game. Bowles and Mac are not getting fired, the Jets are too stupid to make the right move, and even if they did would just go out an find another DC flavor of the month that is allergic to offense. Screw this team. They are just half measure buffoons. 

Nothing in this post is wrong.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

When was the last time (if ever) a run first college QB who barely completes 60% of his passes transitioned well into the NFL?

Jackson has thrown for more than 3,000 yards for 2 seasons and is at 60% completion. All his highlights feature him running because it is exceptional. 

MAybe you can answer this for me

Almost every QB struggles picking up the passing game when they come into the NFL. Jackson has an exceptional day 1 weapon which his legs while he develops his passing game. Unless you think he will never develop that part of his game. He has exceptional arm strength that will probably only get better with coaching mechanics and is 20 years old. 

10 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He's Mick Vick, he's terrible at throwing the ball accurately. He runs about and will get himself killed in the NFL. It's a hard pass for me. He's no way going to have the same career has Rosen or Darnold in the Pro's.  

Wait you wouldn't want a young Mike Vick? He's at 60% completion. Thrown for 3,000 yards in 2 seasons. 20 years old. 

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Jackson has thrown for more than 3,000 yards for 2 seasons and is at 60% completion. All his highlights feature him running because it is exceptional. 

MAybe you can answer this for me

Almost every QB struggles picking up the passing game when they come into the NFL. Jackson has an exceptional day 1 weapon which his legs while he develops his passing game. Unless you think he will never develop that part of his game. He has exceptional arm strength that will probably only get better with coaching mechanics and is 20 years old. 

I've watched plenty of Lamar because he's fun to watch.  He's the most dynamic player in college Football.  But he's not a great passer and he wants to run.  He's not at 60%.  After his 14-26 passing performance yesterday, he's under 60%.  He's at 59.5%.  And this is the first season he's completed more passes than he has rush attempts.  This is in a system that made guys like Brian Brohm and Ryan Mallet look like potential NFL starters.   If he can't complete 60% in that system in the ACC vs. the likes of Syracuse, how is he going to do it in the NFL? 

You didn't actually ask me a question but I think I know what you're getting at and for as terrible as the college game is right now for prepping QB's for the NFL, there have been quite a few QB's to come into the league and look pretty darn good very quickly (Winston, Mariota, Goff, Wentz, Watson, Carr, Luck, etc).  And I think overall there are more examples of this in the NFL, than guys who need years to develop their passing game and suddenly blossom.  So sure, most QB's do struggle just based on pure #'s but it doesn't have to be that way with proper standards and paying attention to historical trends because honestly, what else is there to go on?   The draft is a crap shoot and the NCAA is filled with athletic QB's who have live arms and could use their legs day 1. It's how you fall in love with a Christian Hackenberg ignoring all the red flags that history hasn't been kind toward. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I've watched plenty of Lamar because he's fun to watch.  He's the most dynamic player in college Football.  But he's not a great passer and he wants to run.  He's not at 60%.  After his 14-26 passing performance yesterday, he's under 60%.  He's at 59.5%.  And this is the first season he's completed more passes than he has rush attempts.  This is in a system that made guys like Brian Brohm and Ryan Mallet look like potential NFL starters.   If he can't complete 60% in that system in the ACC vs. the likes of Syracuse, how is he going to do it in the NFL? 

You didn't actually ask me a question but I think I know what you're getting at and for as terrible as the college game is right now for prepping QB's for the NFL, there have been quite a few QB's to come into the league and look pretty darn good very quickly (Winston, Mariota, Goff, Wentz, Watson, Carr, Luck, etc).  And I think overall there are more examples of this in the NFL, than guys who need years to develop their passing game and suddenly blossom.  So sure, most QB's do struggle just based on pure #'s but it doesn't have to be that way with proper standards and paying attention to historical trends because honestly, what else is there to go on?   The draft is a crap shoot and the NCAA is filled with athletic QB's who have live arms and could use their legs day 1. It's how you fall in love with a Christian Hackenberg ignoring all the red flags that history hasn't been kind toward. 

The guys you listed had rough first years, which most do. Even historically when offenses in college and the pros were similar. And that is expected with the jump in competition. My thought was having an athlete like Jackson who can use that tool to help score points as a QB while the other parts of his game develops which to me seems like an advantage.

Since you watch Jackson so much, you don't feel his passing game can develop? Louisville does lead the FBS in drops. He doesn't have much talent around him. True junior who is 20 years old. His skill set doesn't excite you? Maybe I fall in love with the flash but he is damn fun to watch.

Archived