Jump to content
TuscanyTile2

Mark Cannizzaro Thinks McCown Should Start The Remaining Games

Recommended Posts

He thinks McCown deserves it because he's been "selfless" and "the ultimate team player".  He writes the following (apparently) without realizing that being historically bad was EXACTLY what this franchise needed:

"Without McCown, this Jets team would be exactly what we thought it would be before the season began — possibly historically bad." 

 

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/an-unpopular-argument-for-giving-josh-mccown-your-loyalty/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This may make sense if Josh McCown was playing out his 12th season with the team and the team owed him an ounce of loyalty. That’s not the case here. The only reason He’s even a Jet is because Macc was the only GM dumb enough to pay him to be a starter. No one else even sniffed him at that. It makes literally zero sense to continue this string. It doesn’t benefit the Jets or their young players, especially the ones who play the QB position. There have been 10 weeks to evaluate the young offensive players with a below average quarterback at the helm. Now it’s time to see what Petty and Hack can do and if there is anything salvageable there at all. 

Pay him to be a starter? 6m?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The media is obviously very influenced by the Jets organization. 

Many die hard fans want to see the Jets lose out so we get a high draft pick for next year, while also seeing how the young players play.  Don't you think that is fair to the young players too?

The organization, from top down, does not want to lose.  They just don't.  They want to keep the stadium filled.

Now the Giants, who were supposed to be a SB contender, have crashed.  But at this point they are going to keep the nose of the plan pointed downward until it hits earth.  They will get a very high draft pick, draft a QB who can learn under Eli, and get 4 years of a rookie contract from him.  With the money saved, they will sign other players.  I guarantee you the Giants get deep into the playoffs during those next 4 years.

Hopefully the Jets can at least draft a high value player high, like an EDGE, someone who otherwise will be very expensive, because Cousins or Garrapolo could be the best QB option here, and they will be expensive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, varjet said:

The media is obviously very influenced by the Jets organization. 

Many die hard fans want to see the Jets lose out so we get a high draft pick for next year, while also seeing how the young players play.  Don't you think that is fair to the young players too?

The organization, from top down, does not want to lose.  They just don't.  They want to keep the stadium filled.

Now the Giants, who were supposed to be a SB contender, have crashed.  But at this point they are going to keep the nose of the plan pointed downward until it hits earth.  They will get a very high draft pick, draft a QB who can learn under Eli, and get 4 years of a rookie contract from him.  With the money saved, they will sign other players.  I guarantee you the Giants get deep into the playoffs during those next 4 years.

Hopefully the Jets can at least draft a high value player high, like an EDGE, someone who otherwise will be very expensive, because Cousins or Garrapolo could be the best QB option here, and they will be expensive.  

Why aren’t the Giants playing Davis Webb then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all of McCown's sorrows that he may feel for getting benched so the young backups can play, the $6 mil that the NY Jets are paying him should dry away any tears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The article reads like McCown helped to improve the performance of those around him and if that is true, maybe Cannizzaro has a point but that is a stretch without significant insider information or a deal that he comes back to coach with the Jets if they let him start the rest of the year...

The uncomfortable part of the article infers that the Jets somehow owe him for being such a good guy, they are paying him $7-8m with the starting bonus money and WTF does this statement have anything to do with the NFL "That isn’t fair and shouldn’t happen for a number of reasons" - that sounds more like a jilted teen after their childhood sports hero just got cut or traded - the post has nothing on the Jets

sounds more like an Eli article but McCown did not win two SB'a for the Jets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JetFaninMI said:

 Plus incentives it could be 8.5 mil if he plays 50% of the snaps for the whole season. For a guy with 2 wins in 3yrs.

<_< Really? 8,5m is a few million than the Eagles gave Chase Daniel to be backup QB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

 Plus incentives it could be 8.5 mil if he plays 50% of the snaps for the whole season. For a guy with 2 wins in 3yrs.

so now he's got 6.  for the past few seasons the jets have been grossly underpaying the qb position.  oh i' sure people are going to say "but fitz wasn't worth 12 million". that may be the case but the argument isn't about what this guy or that guy makes it's about how much they've spent.  if they held onto sanchez they would've been spending more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

<_< Really? 8,5m is a few million than the Eagles gave Chase Daniel to be backup QB

Actually they signed him to start but Wentz beat him out.Add in the fact that Daniel is light years younger than McCown in football years and you get the idea.. Just pointing out the info you left out. You know like you usually do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no arguing McCown has been very good. His contributions has helped develop some of our younger players on the offensive side of the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He thinks McCown deserves it because he's been "selfless" and "the ultimate team player".  He writes the following (apparently) without realizing that being historically bad was EXACTLY what this franchise needed:

"Without McCown, this Jets team would be exactly what we thought it would be before the season began — possibly historically bad." 

 

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/an-unpopular-argument-for-giving-josh-mccown-your-loyalty/

while i don't think the jets will learn much more about petty or hack by playing them they also know that keeping mccown in isn't going to get them any extra wins.  they might finish with 6 depending on how the next two play out.  but they also may finish with 4.  mccown has certainly showed some good skill and he has been the guy to start since he was the only qb who gave them an honest chance at winning.  those days are over.  they owe him nothing at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

so now he's got 6.  for the past few seasons the jets have been grossly underpaying the qb position.  oh i' sure people are going to say "but fitz wasn't worth 12 million". that may be the case but the argument isn't about what this guy or that guy makes it's about how much they've spent.  if they held onto sanchez they would've been spending more.

Yeah don't forget the 28 losses since 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannizzaro’s long-held belief is that the Jets are the hideous sister who should be happy to bone any mediocre slag who knocks on the door. He loved Herm (for the Jets), loved Rex (for the Jets), and now loves McCown (for the Jets). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T0mShane said:

Cannizzaro’s long-held belief is that the Jets are your hideous sister that should be happy to bone any mediocre slag who knocks on the door. He loved Herm (for the Jets), loved Rex (for the Jets), and now loves McCown (for the Jets). 

He doesn't love you. Live with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×