Mark Cannizzaro Thinks McCown Should Start The Remaining Games

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Petty should get some playing time in order to determine if he could be our long-term backup.

But I don't think it's realistic that Hackenberg could be put into an actual game this year. 

Sad but that's how I see it. Petty and Hack are dead ends. We need to draft a QB and/or make an offer to Cousins this offseason. 

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Actually they signed him to start but Wentz beat him out.Add in the fact that Daniel is light years younger than McCown in football years and you get the idea.. Just pointing out the info you left out. You know like you usually do.

Actually they signed him to be the backup to Sam Bradford. They drafted Wentz after they had both.

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

ArPetty should get some playing time in order to determine if he could be our long-term backup.

But I don't think it's realistic that Hackenberg could be put into an actual game this year. 

Sad but that's how I see it. Petty and Hack are dead ends. We need to draft a QB and/or make an offer to Cousins this offseason. 

Your right, but I think they the HC and Brain trust are not going to play anyone but McCown now. (Baring injury).

I think they are now just going to cut both Hack and Petty, at seasons end. They have clearly dicided new QB's will be here in the off season, so no need to play either of them.

4 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Petty should get some playing time in order to determine if he could be our long-term backup.

Simple if Petty goes on to have an average starting career because the Jets shelved him after giving Fitz and McCown the chance to start back to back to back seasons; then I will personally be flying planes that demand the Jets be sold.....

13 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Your right, but I think they the HC and Brain trust are not going to play anyone but McCown now. (Baring injury).

I think they are now just going to cut both Hack and Petty, at seasons end. They have clearly dicided new QB's will be here in the off season, so no need to play either of them.

If nether starts a game this season then both better be cut.  

I will believe the “I have seen enough” crap, but if that’s the case then get starting over, don’t screw around. 

Meanwhile, in Buffallo, the Bills, who have a better record and a real shot at the playoffs, bench Taylor (who is better than McCown) for their rookie who was drafted in the 5th round.  Why, they were asked?  Because, and I quote, "Ultimately, the sense was that Taylor is not the franchise quarterback of the future".

No matter how Peterman works out, that right there is a front office that is doing everything they can to prepare their team to win a SB, if not this year, then soon.  The Giants are talking about making a change.  Multiple other teams are trying out younger guys to see what they can do.  KC is the sole exception but they are solidly in the playoff hunt so I can't blame them.

And then there are the Jets doubling down on McCown when everyone around them seems to be figuring out how to play this game for the long term.  BUF was concerned that Taylor wasn't executing well in the 1st quarter and right after the half.  McCown seems to have this problem, only in the slightly more critical 4th quarter, but that's okay with the Jets.

Oh and did I mention that Cannizarro just put himself in the Dan Leberfeld hall of stupid.  

McCown is the best QB on the team right now so he should play.  Petty is not a realistic option to be the long term starter and Hackenberg looked lost in the preseason.  I would stick with McCown for the time being, also because with young players on the Jets you don't want not make losing as an easily accepted option. The Jets must address a long term solution at QB. No more stop gaps, but that should come this off season.

Selflessness ... ultimate team player ... but Cannizzaro forgot to mention how McCown's contract is rigged to keep Hack and Petty off the field.

McCown is paid an extra $125K for every game he plays 50% of the snaps (max $2M) ... plus another $5M tied to postseason incentives.

22 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

McCown is the best QB on the team right now so he should play.  Petty is not a realistic option to be the long term starter and Hackenberg looked lost in the preseason.  I would stick with McCown for the time being, also because with young players on the Jets you don't want not make losing as an easily accepted option. The Jets must address a long term solution at QB. No more stop gaps, but that should come this off season.

You know, if you post this same drivel 3 more times and then read it out loud into a mirror, the ghost of Chad Pennington leaps out and tells you how smart he is. 

There is not a single thing in your post, that you’ve posted many times before, worthy of even having a discussion about. It’s just flat out wrong. 

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You know, if you post this same drivel 3 more times and then read it out loud into a mirror, the ghost of Chad Pennington leaps out and tells you how smart he is. 

There is not a single thing in your post, that you’ve posted many times before, worthy of even having a discussion about. It’s just flat out wrong. 

Then ignore it. You are entitled to your opinion but obviously are not tolerant of others.

51 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Except that starting McCown sends the message that being barely passable at your position is  organizationally acceptable and richly rewarded. Paying a JAG like a starter and treating him with kid gloves because he’s limited sets a low bar and fosters an environment wherein excellence is nice but never, ever expected.

31 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Selflessness ... ultimate team player ... but Cannizzaro forgot to mention how McCown's contract is rigged to keep Hack and Petty off the field.

McCown is paid an extra $125K for every game he plays 50% of the snaps (max $2M) ... plus another $5M tied to postseason incentives.

Image result for mike maccagnan gifs

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Except that starting McCown sends the message that being barely passable at your position is  organizationally acceptable and richly rewarded. Paying a JAG like a starter and treating him with kid gloves because he’s limited sets a low bar and fosters an environment wherein excellence is nice but never, ever expected.

I’m not saying McCown is so great, but you have who you have. You play the best players at each position. I still feel at some point Petty will play either do to injury or late season losses.

To me, this off season MUST bring in a long term solution. These “stopgaps” are like spinning our wheels.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

Meanwhile, in Buffallo, the Bills, who have a better record and a real shot at the playoffs, bench Taylor (who is better than McCown) for their rookie who was drafted in the 5th round.  Why, they were asked?  Because, and I quote, "Ultimately, the sense was that Taylor is not the franchise quarterback of the future".

No matter how Peterman works out, that right there is a front office that is doing everything they can to prepare their team to win a SB, if not this year, then soon.  The Giants are talking about making a change.  Multiple other teams are trying out younger guys to see what they can do.  KC is the sole exception but they are solidly in the playoff hunt so I can't blame them.

And then there are the Jets doubling down on McCown when everyone around them seems to be figuring out how to play this game for the long term.  BUF was concerned that Taylor wasn't executing well in the 1st quarter and right after the half.  McCown seems to have this problem, only in the slightly more critical 4th quarter, but that's okay with the Jets.

Oh and did I mention that Cannizarro just put himself in the Dan Leberfeld hall of stupid.  

Thank you of this post!!

I can see how you can disagree with the bold, but to claim that it is insane and that the Jets brass has some "secret" program to develop a QB and that McCown is somehow a good for the team at the QB are the ones IMO whistling in the dark......

14 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I’m not saying McCown is so great, but you have who you have. You play the best players at each position. I still feel at some point Petty will play either do to injury or late season losses.

To me, this off season MUST bring in a long term solution. These “stopgaps” are like spinning our wheels.

I wish I saved the great quote from Parcells where he says that having a QB that can only get you to 9-7 is bad for your entire organization because it’s effectively purgatory (I believe he was talking about Steve Beurlein at that point). Given Bowles’ preference for Fitzpatrick and McCown, he thinks it’s alright to tolerate QBs that get you to 6-10. It’s nowheresville. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Of course, you can't bench him either, because he hasn't played poorly enough to lose the job and the other two QBs aren't good enough to take it from him. Like literally everything else with this group, it's just good enough to keep anyone from getting fired but not good enough to win anything of consequence. The saddest part is that half the fanbase has been predicting this exact outcome since March and the other half thinks these bumble****s deserve credit for giving a 38-year-old $6 million and starting him for a full season in the middle of a rebuild.

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Of course, you can't bench him either, because he hasn't played poorly enough to lose the job and the other two QBs aren't good enough to take it from him. Like literally everything else with this group, it's just good enough to keep anyone from getting fired but not good enough to win anything of consequence. The saddest part is that half the fanbase has been predicting this exact outcome since March and the other half thinks these bumble****s deserve credit for giving a 38-year-old $6 million and starting him for a full season in the middle of a rebuild.

If only there existed a person who was overseeing the whole operation—a team president, perhaps, or a VP of Football Ops—whose continued employment wasn’t tied to getting to six wins in an obvious tank season; rather, this person was invested in the intermediate- and long-term success of the on-field product and could intervene as necessary to ensure that future success wasn’t sacrificed to short-term self-preservation among unqualified staff.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Your 2 paragraphs are in direct conflict with each other and you can’t have it both ways.  The long term solution was available if the team went 1-15 (with a loss to Cle).   Fitzcown is a recipe for wash-rinse-repeat.  

13 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Your 2 paragraphs are in direct conflict with each other and you can’t have it both ways.  The long term solution was available if the team went 1-15 (with a loss to Cle).   Fitzcown is a recipe for wash-rinse-repeat.  

How do you guarantee 1 and 15?

42 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

BUF seems to have no issue benching Taylor.  And they're 5-4.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, Pcola said:

The way I am looking at it, this was Macc and Bowles mulligan.  Either they draft a QB very high next year Or there needs to be a playoff mandate on both HC and FO.  

If they continue to refuse to build for the future and insist on winning now, then they better win now.  Next year will be year 4 for them and the 8th consecutive year we have been out of the playoffs.  That’s our longest drought since  the 70s.

Im sick of the short cut remedy and lack of urgency for the QB position.  Playoffs or they are done.

I couldn’t imagine anything worse, unless you want to guarantee the GM handing out another $200m in bad contracts to save his own skin. If the Johnson brothers are going to give them - particularly Macc - such an ultimatum, then just fire him and let someone else spend all that money and use all those draft picks.

Personally I think he’s picking up a veteran QB if Cousins or Smith is available, and will take another QB in the 4th round (give or take).

I’d be really surprised, after 2 bad seasons in a row, with all that cap room and a sure thing instant-starter QB available, that he’d put his career in the hands of another one of his QB draft picks.

My expectation - again, if either is available - is a veteran QB so he can use all these picks and the still ample cap change leftover to build around this veteran. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I couldn’t imagine anything worse, unless you want to guarantee the GM handing out another $200m in bad contracts to save his own skin. If the Johnson brothers are going to give them - particularly Macc - such an ultimatum, then just fire him and let someone else spend all that money and use all those draft picks.

Personally I think he’s picking up a veteran QB if Cousins or Smith is available, and will take another QB in the 4th round (give or take).

I’d be really surprised, after 2 bad seasons in a row, with all that cap room and a sure thing instant-starter QB available, that he’d put his career in the hands of another one of his QB draft picks.

My expectation - again, if either is available - is a veteran QB so he can use all these picks and the still ample cap change leftover to build around this veteran. 

If this is the case then we’re screwed.  What’s the difference between dumping all our cap space for Cousins with the current roster around him or moving up to Darnold or Rosen and using all the cap space to put talent around them.

He has to solve the QB issue this offseason.  

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe I'm making too much of their last 2 losses but I wonder if the price on Alex Smith has dropped.

Archived