TuscanyTile2

Mark Cannizzaro Thinks McCown Should Start The Remaining Games

After seeing the Bills dump their middling starting QB for a relative unknown to disastrous results its become easier than ever for me to see why the Jets are still going with McCown.

Maybe Petty and Hack could show something and it would be nice to see them in real games, but this team is still in playoff contention and they shouldn't try to experiment until they're completely out of the dance. McCown should be starting the next two games at least.

28 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

After seeing the Bills dump their middling starting QB for a relative unknown to disastrous results its become easier than ever for me to see why the Jets are still going with McCown.

Maybe Petty and Hack could show something and it would be nice to see them in real games, but this team is still in playoff contention and they shouldn't try to experiment until they're completely out of the dance. McCown should be starting the next two games at least.

This team is in playoff contention? Have you seen the upcoming schedule?

6 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

Yes I have, at least three division leaders plus whoever isn't leading the south, and two mediocre teams much like our own in Denver and Los Angeles.

I've also seen the standings- the Jets are just a game or two out of the second wild card in a log jam with a bunch of other 4-6 teams. 

It wont be easy or anything, they probably wont make it, but they are technically still in contention for the playoffs and the coaches wont make a move until the moment comes that they aren't. 

BTW, I think the jets finish 6-10 or maybe 7-9 if they're lucky. 9-7 might do it in the AFC right now.

57 minutes ago, nycdan said:

To this I would counter:  Jared Goff sucked balls last season.  If they wrote him off based on 2016, they would have missed what he's doing this season.  Sometimes young QBs need a year to suck.  Peyton did.

Yeah I agree and held out hope for Hackenberg. But if he couldn’t even pass Petty as the #2, I don’t have a lot of hope left. Who knows with next year, but not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

To this I would counter:  Jared Goff sucked balls last season.  If they wrote him off based on 2016, they would have missed what he's doing this season.  Sometimes young QBs need a year to suck.  Peyton did.

I also think that Goff was in a better situation than Petty last year.  

12 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

McCown has started more than 12 games once in his career and it happened 13 years ago. 

But he worthy of starting over any developmental QB; yea that makes sense.

16 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Yes I have, at least three division leaders plus whoever isn't leading the south, and two mediocre teams much like our own in Denver and Los Angeles.

I've also seen the standings- the Jets are just a game or two out of the second wild card in a log jam with a bunch of other 4-6 teams. 

It wont be easy or anything, they probably wont make it, but they are technically still in contention for the playoffs and the coaches wont make a move until the moment comes that they aren't. 

BTW, I think the jets finish 6-10 or maybe 7-9 if they're lucky. 9-7 might do it in the AFC right now.

The Chargers are better than mediocre. Their defense is very good & they have recently been playing much better on offense. The only game in my mind we have a shot at winning is @ Denver but that's not going to be easy either. 

I honestly would be surprised if we beat any of the teams remaining on the schedule.. 

16 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Finishing 6-10 or 7-9 won’t be “lucky.”  It’s actually the worst case scenario.  The only thing winning 6 or 7 games guarantees is that the 2018 Jets starting QB will be one of McCown, A. Smith, or Bradford.  Thus while our crosstown Giants are building for future SBs, we will doing everything we can to win 9 games and back into the playoffs on a freak year.

Winning.

22 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I agree. I have my doubts that Mac KNOWS how to evaluate how a college QB will translate to the NFL and he will go hard after Cousins or Smith. He is a much better pro personnel person than a draft evaluator. I hope the Jets get a shot at Baker Mayfield and I think he will fall to the Jets at six through eight. The I would beef up the o-line with a center and draft a few cornerbacks as well.

I think it's a stretch to say he's "a much better pro personnel person" in comparison any task done by any person on this planet.

21 hours ago, Pcola said:

I would have to think that a QB that is going 1 or 2 in the draft has a much higher ceiling than a 4th round pick that puts up great numbers in losing efforts and has never sniffed the playoffs as a starter.  Cousins hasn’t played in a meaningful game yet has been paid like he is P. Manning or Brees in their primes.

The whole problem is unlike the NBA, Free Agency comes 45 days before the draft.  Macc is going to have to determine whether to go after Cousins or to move up in the draft in Feb/March.  

Funny you mention Brees. Prior to this season, they'd been winning 7 games per year with him as well.

It would seem that, as integral a QB is to a team's success in most (but certainly not all) scenarios over the long term, having a great one still doesn't guarantee anything. Brees has been good enough to win a title, and yet it'd been years since the Saints even finished at .500. I'm sure you agree.

So while I don't think Cousins = Brees, dumping all those team losses on Cousins may be a bit unfair. He's playing as well as a QB should need to play for a team to have far better success than Washington's had.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Funny you mention Brees. Prior to this season, they'd been winning 7 games per year with him as well.

It would seem that, as integral a QB is to a team's success in most (but certainly not all) scenarios over the long term, having a great one still doesn't guarantee anything. Brees has been good enough to win a title, and yet it'd been years since the Saints even finished at .500. I'm sure you agree.

So while I don't think Cousins = Brees, dumping all those team losses on Cousins may be a bit unfair. He's playing as well as a QB should need to play for a team to have far better success than Washington's had.

My intention wasn’t to blame Cousins for their record, and that’s my fault for not making that clear.  My issue is that he has no big game experience.  Similar to Stafford where you have a QB throwing for 5,000 yards a season but don’t know how he’s gonna play when the intensity of playoff football comes around.

What we don’t want is a QB that we’re paying $25M to be another Andy Dalton where just squeaking into the playoffs every few years is good enough.

Ive been patient since I started watching the Jets weekly in 1979.  We have been taking the shortcuts at the position since 1993 except for Pennington (injury) and Sanchez (over drafted due to desperation).

If Washington puts the transition tag on Cousins, even if we offer Cousins $30M, they can always match it.

Winning the past two games is going to either cost us 2 #1 picks plus, or prevent us from getting our QB.  

23 hours ago, Pcola said:

My intention wasn’t to blame Cousins for their record, and that’s my fault for not making that clear.  My issue is that he has no big game experience.  Similar to Stafford where you have a QB throwing for 5,000 yards a season but don’t know how he’s gonna play when the intensity of playoff football comes around.

What we don’t want is a QB that we’re paying $25M to be another Andy Dalton where just squeaking into the playoffs every few years is good enough.

Ive been patient since I started watching the Jets weekly in 1979.  We have been taking the shortcuts at the position since 1993 except for Pennington (injury) and Sanchez (over drafted due to desperation).

If Washington puts the transition tag on Cousins, even if we offer Cousins $30M, they can always match it.

Winning the past two games is going to either cost us 2 #1 picks plus, or prevent us from getting our QB.  

I think Cousins is a better QB than Dalton, and even Dalton is saddled with Lewis (who's the common denominator in those early exits more than Dalton). On top of that, Cousins isn't exactly playing chuck & duck with A.J. Green.

But it's a fair concern. One could try to rationalize all one wants about Dalton, and the reality is he's an average to above average QB during the regular season and in 5 playoff seasons for the Bengals he has 1 TD (missing the playoffs 1 year outright). 

On 11/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, Lizard King said:

The Browns are still in playoff contention, technically.  Has not stopped Bills and Broncos from trying out new QBs

On 11/21/2017 at 10:08 AM, Pcola said:

Finishing 6-10 or 7-9 won’t be “lucky.”  It’s actually the worst case scenario.  The only thing winning 6 or 7 games guarantees is that the 2018 Jets starting QB will be one of McCown, A. Smith, or Bradford.  Thus while our crosstown Giants are building for future SBs, we will doing everything we can to win 9 games and back into the playoffs on a freak year.

Winning.

The Jets will be lucky to win another game, but Bowles will try his best.  

May this point Chris should give Todd and Macc 1 year extensions so long as they play Petty and Hack. It's the Johnson's fault.  

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Browns are still in playoff contention, technically.  Has not stopped Bills and Broncos from trying out new QBs

The Jets will be lucky to win another game, but Bowles will try his best.  

May this point Chris should give Todd and Macc 1 year extensions so long as they play Petty and Hack. It's the Johnson's fault.  

I said this during the off-season.  Macc and Bowles needed a 1 year extension so that they could play the younger players in an effort to be better in 2018.  

Instead, we peaked in Sept, won too many games to solve any issues and will be rebuilding again next year.

I only hope they don’t go overboard and give out 5 yeR extensions for both this offseason.

Barring serious injury you won’t see Petty play this year and Macagnan will sign Colin Kaepernick before he commits career suicide and let’s Hack embarrass him in an actual game

24 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I said this during the off-season.  Macc and Bowles needed a 1 year extension so that they could play the younger players in an effort to be better in 2018.  

Instead, we peaked in Sept, won too many games to solve any issues and will be rebuilding again next year.

I only hope they don’t go overboard and give out 5 yeR extensions for both this offseason.

Why not a 10 year extension for both?  We haven’t even made the playoffs yet and 95% of his draft picks suck but who cares we are the Browns East Coast

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Barring serious injury you won’t see Petty play this year and Macagnan will sign Colin Kaepernick before he commits career suicide and let’s Hack embarrass him in an actual game

I disagree. We saw Petty play last year in a similar situation  and I think we will see the same

Sunday is a big game for McCown. He's been better than advertised and decent all season long. He's older but few implosions like last season with Fitz. But he did basically lose a game or at least took us out of an OT possibility with a terrible pick. And last game he was ineffective. He's 38 and could be showing his age even though surprisingly not injured all season long. If he's mediocre on Sunday then you have to consider with a 4-7 going to Petty and giving him some starts and maybe even Hack later in December. If McCown comes back to form, has a good game and we win stay with him.

On 11/18/2017 at 1:44 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

He thinks McCown deserves it because he's been "selfless" and "the ultimate team player".  He writes the following (apparently) without realizing that being historically bad was EXACTLY what this franchise needed:

"Without McCown, this Jets team would be exactly what we thought it would be before the season began — possibly historically bad." 

https://nypost.com/2017/11/17/an-unpopular-argument-for-giving-josh-mccown-your-loyalty/

Historically bad is kinda what a lot of fans here were HOPING FOR. Mediocre is something we have seen many times in many different guises and McCown is no different that Rick Mirer, Boomer Esiason and any of the plethora of mediocre QB's the Jets have employed. It is ONLY because of the stubborn head coach Todd Bowles and his reluctance to embrace hope for "best chance to win" which is really stupid because I don't think McCown is that option. I have said before that if the Jets fall to 4-8 and Bowles continues to play McCown that he should be fired IMMEDIATELY after the season is over. I am not saying that Bryce Petty is the answer only that he gives a glimmer of hope that he MIGHT BE. We know McCown IS NOT.

Starting let's say about a week after the previous Superbowl (Pats/Atl), I wonder what percentage of comments on JN are about QBs.  If this stuff is stored in a database (which I'm sure it is) maybe you can check the number of comments since 2/15/2017 and then figure out the number of threads that have "Darnold", "Rosen", "Mahomes", "Watson", "McCown", "Petty", "Hack", and "QB" in them.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:08 AM, Pcola said:

Winning.

But Jets fans just wants to root for a competitive team. So going 9-7 and getting beat in the wildcard is the goal. Why would we ever want to take a season or two of really bad football with 3-13, 4-12 records if it meant building a team for potential long term success.