Fitz 2-0 as starter

kevinc855

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In 2015 he single handily choked away our playoff hopes, he set records with a supporting cast he failed us miserably against the Bills in the season finale. 

The two quarterbacks you hate the most only set the team records for most TD's in a season (Fitzpatrick) and highest postseason TD's recorded and highest postseason QBR amassed (Sanchez).

So maybe you're not a very good judge of quarterbacks.

SAR I

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Fitz has one major problem in his game that kept him from getting better his entire career and that's impatience at times he really needed to be patient. His tendency to force the ball and create turnovers was VERY Sanchez like and the main reason neither one of them lived up to the potential some of us saw they had. 

Sometimes (like in the case of Fitz) you think maybe they can turn the corner but they never do... a hot streak here or there does not equal what makes a QB great. It sucks to be let down but that's what both of the guys you mention have done. Was Sanchez mishandled from the start ? Absolutely, but that's not a good enough reason to think he would have turned out great or even good.

IMHO while we have been unlucky at QB for a long time we have certainly been just as unlucky with our head coaches as well. You need a combination of great coaching and great QB play to win consistently and we have not had one or the other for way too many years.

Good post, agree with it all, especially the fact that besides Bill Parcells we have hired nothing but rookie head coaches since 1970.

Clarification on Fitzpatrick and Sanchez-  my comment wasn't specifically on their ability, just on the lunacy of Jets fans who blame the quarterback for everything and don't take into account the circumstances of the offenses they are asked to run.  Ryan Fitzpatrick was a backup who unexpectedly became a starter and took a 4-12 Idzik disaster and played well enough to get us into the playoffs, Geno Smith having lost the gimmie in Oakland that would have been our 10th win.  Mark Sanchez would have made the playoffs 3 years in a row if our Defense lived up to expectations in 2011 and was handed a pile of dog sh-t in 2012 with Chaz Schillens, Clyde Gates, Tim Tebow, Stephen Hill, and Tony Sparano.

Blame the quarterback!

SAR I

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I would not mind an elite all around RB to open up this offense with Cousins or Smith at QB ... Smith is a smarter QB Cousins is more explosive either way with that type Running back and either one of those QB's this team becomes a possible playoff contender IF Todd Bowles is the hell out of here.

It may or may not be the best move for the team, depending upon how this class actually pans out (for all the hype they once had and still might again later). There's a very good chance it's the best move for the one who's job it is to pull the trigger; it'll buy him a contract extension for sure.

18 hours ago, usapaw said:

Let's sign him for 12 million! Not. I hate paying a kings ransom for a QB BUT Cousins has earned it. The Skins are douche bags for not paying him. Other than Cousins; draft a high pick. 

OK,so Clemens just came into the game. A few more years and we can sign him up for Bowles AARP squad?  

They did make him an offer, in each of the last 3 offseasons. He just wanted more each time, was willing to bet on himself (both for skill and health), and so far he's been right.

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I would not mind an elite all around RB to open up this offense with Cousins or Smith at QB ... Smith is a smarter QB Cousins is more explosive either way with that type Running back and either one of those QB's this team becomes a possible playoff contender IF Todd Bowles is the hell out of here.

Sorry but you aren't winning a championship with Alex Smith at QB. We have to do whatever it takes to land Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield. Enough of the bullsh*t stopgap nonsense and finally get us the guy that can be a 10 yr starter.  

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Are Fitz’s wins that impressive?  He barely beat the Jets, who suck.  And he beat an average Dolphin team

No, but he beat us with a worse team. And beat the team who beat us. Not saying he deserves much of the credit, but For a team that had two wins total in nov, just doubled their win total. You have to take notice. Trust me I don’t want to see fitz back here, but jets will want a cheap vet regardless if we draft a qb or not. Assuming we can’t get Cousins

18 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

No, but he beat us with a worse team. And beat the team who beat us. Not saying he deserves much of the credit, but For a team that had two wins total in nov, just doubled their win total. You have to take notice. Trust me I don’t want to see fitz back here, but jets will want a cheap vet regardless if we draft a qb or not. Assuming we can’t get Cousins

Fitz is never coming back here.  the cheaper vet we will sign is currently our starter assuming we don't make a move for a Cousins or one of the good vets. if we are drafting a young guy I expect McCown back here.

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It may or may not be the best move for the team, depending upon how this class actually pans out (for all the hype they once had and still might again later). There's a very good chance it's the best move for the one who's job it is to pull the trigger; it'll buy him a contract extension for sure.

Well the Ideal situation is you draft a QB and he becomes the stud everyone wants him to be. If the cost is way to high to move up, there is that problem as well, depending on our draft position which should be in the top 10 hopefully. In the case of Cousins/Smith I would lean Cousins but then the deterring factor becomes money. Obviously this won't be an easy decision but we have got to get a QB in here that will give us years of Production and Cousins is much younger than Smith

17 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Our defense stinks and Fitz barely beat us and stop acting like the Dolphins are a good team 

14 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Well the Ideal situation is you draft a QB and he becomes the stud everyone wants him to be. If the cost is way to high to move up, there is that problem as well, depending on our draft position which should be in the top 10 hopefully. In the case of Cousins/Smith I would lean Cousins but then the deterring factor becomes money. Obviously this won't be an easy decision but we have got to get a QB in here that will give us years of Production and Cousins is much younger than Smith

If there's anything Macc has shown as a GM it's that he likes to go with high floor options, even if they also mean (or are perceived as) low ceiling. Our 2015 and 2017 first round picks were all about that concept. So was bringing back Fitz, declining trade offers for elite prospects like Wentz (over a 2nd round pick he'd ultimately use on Hackenberg), bringing in McCown, etc.

I don't think you're nearly alone in leaning towards Cousins over Smith. Cousins has already turned down multiple contracts from Washington that no one would ever offer Smith in the first place. 

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If there's anything Macc has shown as a GM it's that he likes to go with high floor options, even if they also mean (or are perceived as) low ceiling. Our 2015 and 2017 first round picks were all about that concept. So was bringing back Fitz, declining trade offers for elite prospects like Wentz (over a 2nd round pick he'd ultimately use on Hackenberg), bringing in McCown, etc.

I don't think you're nearly alone in leaning towards Cousins over Smith. Cousins has already turned down multiple contracts from Washington that no one would ever offer Smith in the first place. 

Could you imagine if we offered the eagles Lee, Hack and Jordan Jenkins for Wentz now?  

Archived