All those draft pick Browns 0–10

kevinc855

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Fair. Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson inherited a team that was awful when they arrived. They made the best of it by taking advantage of the Vikings in a huge way, that will probably never be repeated.

To say that Jimmy Johnson "wanted and planned" to be bad, would be a misnomer, I would think.

I don't agree.  I do think JJ planned to bottom out and totally rebuild the team with his type of player (e.g. speed on defense).  Remember he was given a 10 year deal when he was hired.  He had the security to implement a long-term plan.  It just happened way ahead of schedule when the Herschel trade happened.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-04-07/sports/sp-1196_1_10-year-contract

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't agree.  I do think JJ planned to bottom out and totally rebuild the team with his type of player (e.g. speed on defense).  Remember he was given a 10 year deal when he was hired.  He had the security to implement a long-term plan.  It just happened way ahead of schedule when the Herschel trade happened.

and it didn't hurt that the owner was an ex-college teammate who was willing to give him time.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The 1988 Dallas Cowboys(year before JJ) were 3-13. They were old and bereft of talent. Jimmy Johnson did not build that team. He inherited it.

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The 1988 Dallas Cowboys(year before JJ) were 3-13. They were old and bereft of talent. Jimmy Johnson did not build that team. He inherited it.

Yes but didn't they go 1-15 the following year (which is the year they traded Herschel IIRC)?

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I am not saying that either. First, the management is not the same, so the plan is not a consistent one. Second, I do believe that there is some credibility to developing players you do have, and that having them play well and contributing is a healthy way to grow a team.

I just have never seen a "tank plan" work in the NFL, and ask for an example of one that has.

Absolutely....  management is key one. A great QB is key two.  Most teams have 2 to 4 TOP pro bowl players.   that’s it.   Player development, team plan, coaching etc.  Tanny for example had in his hands the making of a good team. NOT great, but could have been . He trades away and lets  walk  the talent Mark needed.   Overpays Holmes etc.   We have had average to below average coaching and management since Tuna left and our record shows exactly that. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm confused by the general point of the thread.

Wouldn't the tank crowd still think Browns are doing it right?  They've stock piled picks, have a ton of young talent they're actually playing, are playing a terrible rookie QB and are poised for the #1 overall pick.  If you're trying to stick it to the tank crowd, I think you're doing it wrong.

Unless this is a, "hey guys, at least we're not the Browns thread" and if that's the case, then lets throw a mother ******* party in here!!! WHOOOOHOOOO. 

It's going to be great when Darnold refuses to come out and/or play for them.

The Colts sucked for Luck and kept on sucking. Still suck. I'm not saying it doesn't work but if you are terrible you are terrible.  No one is going to lose on purpose, and if they do, do you want them on your team?  

Really all you need is good luck and the Browns don't have even a gram of that anywhere near them.  

Also, you comparing tanking in any two sports is apples and oranges.  This might be the most unpredictable sport there is out of the NFL, NBA, and MLB.  

On top of that, how many QBs look good one year and not the next?  I think the only consistent QBs are Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and maybe that's it.  Look at Flacco, Kaep, Newton, Eli, the redhead in Cincy, Matt Ryan, and everyone else.  

2 hours ago, Hael said:

The Browns have had some decent drafts in the past two years imo.  They just have a completely gutted roster devoid of veterans, no qb and a lack of offense.

basically what we would be if we had not taken Forte/McCown/Kearse etc

It will take a few years but D’Arnold will turn that franchise around.

YOU GOT IT NAILED !!!!

SUCK FOR SAM - THEY KNOW HOW DO IT~+!~!

YOU GOT IT NAILED !!!!

SUCK FOR SAM - THEY KNOW HOW DO IT~+!~!

Honestly the way they have been running the browns it would not shock me if they trade away the pick. For whatever crazy reason they still like Kizer and might be comfortable with picking up someone like Mayfield or Jackson and taking a flier on a third prospect in the later rounds and they seem to really really love draft picks...when they traded for oswiler they said in the press conference that they were very excited to have the draft pick lol.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will confess to being stupid in this scenariom

Did the Astros plan to be bad, and it was in their blueprint for those years? What did they do in 2010 (and subsequent offseasons) that guaranteed them having the worst records?

No....nobody plans on being bad.  Nobody tanks.  Tanking is just a BS theory made up by fans in the hope to land THE player that will save a franchise.

You draft where you draft.  It is up to the GM to make it all work out by drafting the right players, and making the right moves to get said players if they need to.

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

No....nobody plans on being bad.  Nobody tanks.  Tanking is just a BS theory made up by fans in the hope to land THE player that will save a franchise.

You draft where you draft.  It is up to the GM to make it all work out by drafting the right players, and making the right moves to get said players if they need to.

Do you believe this is true in every sport?  I'm quite sure the Penguins tanked for Mario Lemieux.  I believe the Astros tanked for a few years as well.  I think the late 80's Cowboys tanked. 

Also IIRC, in basketball, the Celtics tanked in hopes of getting Tim Duncan (though they lost the draft lottery). 

I will state it again, the teams that have won the last 10 SB's, do not have a history of consistently drafting at the top half of draft rounds.
Coincidence? I don't know. But it sure seems that being in the first 10 picks of the draft have not made a great difference in defining the league hierarchy.

No, they have franchise QB’s. It’s not about amassing many top draft pick players, it’s using those picks to get a franchise QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Hopefully this will explain it to you:

The Green Bay Packers with Aaron Rodgers are a legit Superbowl contender. 

The Green Bay Packers without Aaron Rodgers are probably a 5-6 win team.

The Browns are in line to get the #1 pick in the draft that has a potential FQB.

Any questions?

Sam Darnold threw two more interceptions in the time it took you to explain this.

1 hour ago, BRONX DUDE said:

THIS SEASON SUCKS SO BAD.

WE ARE SO DAMN INSIGNIFICANT.

BRING BACK REX FOR THE SH1T and GIGGLES.

Wait just a gosh dang second.

I was told by our resident cheerleader that we're "irrelevant" and that is, actually, good.

My whole life is a lie.

3 hours ago, Drums said:

The Colts sucked for Luck and kept on sucking. Still suck. I'm not saying it doesn't work but if you are terrible you are terrible.  No one is going to lose on purpose, and if they do, do you want them on your team?  

Really all you need is good luck and the Browns don't have even a gram of that anywhere near them.  

Also, you comparing tanking in any two sports is apples and oranges.  This might be the most unpredictable sport there is out of the NFL, NBA, and MLB.  

On top of that, how many QBs look good one year and not the next?  I think the only consistent QBs are Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and maybe that's it.  Look at Flacco, Kaep, Newton, Eli, the redhead in Cincy, Matt Ryan, and everyone else.  

The Colts, for all their sucking, are still closer than us to a Super Bowl because they still have Luck and we have Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg, and Bryce Petty.  Luck could come back from his injury, be 75% of what he was pre-injury, and he would still be a better building block than any of our guys.

Franchise QBs are that damn important to being a consistent championship contender.

15 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

“But they have a plan” “ their front office gets it” “they have a good coach”  and my favorite best from the cluseless tank crowd “they are years ahead of the jets in development” hahahhahahaha

The Browns have had nine head coaches and seven GMs since 2000. The players, no matter how high they were drafted, will never develop when they have to learn a new system and adopt a new organizational philosophy every two years

Archived