Poll: Which name on this list evokes the most negative visceral reaction from you?

TuscanyTile2

Poll: Which name bothers you the most?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Which name bothers you the most?

• Vernon Gholston
    • Kyle Wilson
    • Michael Vick
    • Calvin Pryor
    • Christian Hackenberg
    • Joe "Must Go" Walton
    • Vlad Ducasse
    • Leon Hess
    • Dewayne Robertson
    • Mark Sanchez
    • Geno Smith
    • John Idzik
    • Rex Ryan
    • Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Rich Kotite
    • Woody Johnson
    • Jason Taylor
    • Blair Thomas
    • Bruce Coslett
    • Darrelle Revis

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Gholston hurt the most because it was such a high pick and he was so bad

But god, i never hated a jet player the way i hated Kyle Wilson 

I’d have to go with this statement exactly. Gholston didn’t even show up enough to get me frustrated enough on game days. But Wilson...and the celebrating..ugh. 

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Gholston hurt the most because it was such a high pick and he was so bad

But god, i never hated a jet player the way i hated Kyle Wilson 

Me too.  I remember he got burned right away.  Pretty sure his first game was against Baltimore on Monday night.  Also it bugs me that the Jets were rumored to have wanted to draft Devin McCourty, who the Patriots took 2 picks earlier.  Brutal!

I think for draft picks if you came up with a "Stink Factor," which was how BAD a player was, and how little they played or added, from 1-100 (I think Gholston is probably close to 100), and you multiplied it by the Jimmy Johnson Value of their draft pick, I think Gholston would have the highest score by a country mile. 

Hack at this point may be 100, but his draft pick value is way lower.  

Robertson played a few years-he is not a 100.  Neither is Wilson, nor Geno.

If we can draft someone just like Sanchez in 2018 and make the AFCCG in 2018 and 2019, I am taking him in a minute.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

I think for draft picks if you came up with a "Stink Factor," which was how BAD a player was, and how little they played or added, from 1-100 (I think Gholston is probably close to 100), and you multiplied it by the Jimmy Johnson Value of their draft pick, I think Gholston would have the highest score by a country mile. 

If we can draft someone just like Sanchez in 2018 and make the AFCCG in 2018 and 2019, I am taking him in a minute.  

You are being way too analytical.  My question was more about a visceral reaction.

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

Gholston gets the edge for me because he was chosen back when Rookies made insane money and was a top ten pick.  That one hurt us really bad.  Hackenberg could throw a single touchdown pass and 10 picks in, idk, 5 starts, and he would have "contributed" more to the team than Gholston ever did.  A top ten pick, making the money he was, who was selected to be our stud pass rusher, never registering a single sack in his career is bad.  

However, being as fair and objective as I can possibly be, Gholston belonged where he was selected if you go by prospect rankings from that class.  Even though the value of a 2nd rounder isn't what it once was, Hackenberg was a big time reach.  On top of all that, the '08 class was really friggin bad so it hurts a little less that we weren't the only ones who missed big time.  

This conversation is depressing.

When you wag your finger at a receiver, having tackled said receiver to the ground during his route, and having never looked back for the ball, luckily avoiding a DPI call only because the ball went 15 yards over the receiver’s head (MULTIPLE TIMES!!!!), you win this unique honor. Congrats Kyle! 

It's a good poll but there was more fighting about Ryan Fitzpatrick than any of these guys and more pure hatred. So he should have been on this list.  I voted for Mark because his terrible moments were not few and far between. But the biggest phony of the lot was Rex Ryan. I should have voted for him. As for Vern he was so invisible it was hard to hate him when you didn't even know he was there. 

I’d like to rank these in order from “most defensible” to “least defensible.”

13. Dee Milliner: Freak, freak athlete at a premium position who had consistent, unqualified success at the highest levels of college football. Downfall: injuries

12.Vernon Gholston: Like Milliner, was a freak at a premium position who dominated st the highest levels of college football. Also, that first round was a trash bin anyway. Downfall: pussy

11. Jace Amaro: Had prototypical size, requisite athleticism, and ungodly production in college. Downfall: pussy

10.Geno Smith: At one time was the projected first overall pick. Good size, great arm, unreal collegiate production. Downfall: mush

9. Rex Ryan: Long history of succcess as a defensive coach, even though everyone who was the DC in Baltimore during that span looked like a genius. Downfall: Undisciplined narcissism 

8. Kyle Wilson: Good measurables, from a program that was producing good NFL players, at the bottom of the first round. Downfall: awful instincts

7. Mark Sanchez: Low-cost trade-up for a good-looking, face of the franchise-type QB with some talent. Downfall: tweens

6. Dewayne Robertson: Freaky athlete at a position that was highly sought after at the time. Was supposed to be the Warren Sapp for Herm’s Tampa Two. Downfall: Never really produced in college, either.

5. Devin Smith: Drafted exclusively based on his 40 time, which wasn’t even that great. Had no other skills, and didn’t like football anyway. Downside: All around awful pick

4. Vlad Ducasse: just so bad from start to finish, and is currently getting Buffalo QBs murdered. What makes it worse what that Victor Cruz was on this same college team. Downfall: awful pick

3. Calvin Pryor: A hard hitting safety with poor instincts who doesn’t run sub 4.5’s and struggles against the pass is just a bad pick in the first round cough. Downfall: inflated self-opinion cough

2. John Idzik: was the bookkeeper for the Tony Dungy Bucs and the Pete Carroll Seahawks, so had a decent pedigree, but was never in a position to make personnel decisions until he was hired here. Qualifier: no one wanted the job because of Rex and Woody. Downfall: Rex, Woody, the 2014 draft.

1. Christian Hackenberg: an egregious pick on a bad player who can’t throw a football in a straight line, serves as a harbinger of awful decisions to come from Mike Maccagnan. Downfall: wretched.

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gholston gets the edge for me because he was chosen back when Rookies made insane money and was a top ten pick.  That one hurt us really bad.  Hackenberg could throw a single touchdown pass and 10 picks in, idk, 5 starts, and he would have "contributed" more to the team than Gholston ever did.  A top ten pick, making the money he was, who was selected to be our stud pass rusher, never registering a single sack in his career is bad.  

However, being as fair and objective as I can possibly be, Gholston belonged where he was selected if you go by prospect rankings from that class.  Even though the value of a 2nd rounder isn't what it once was, Hackenberg was a big time reach.  On top of all that, the '08 class was really friggin bad so it hurts a little less that we weren't the only ones who missed big time.  

This conversation is depressing.

totally agree on gholston.  he did close to nothing during his time as a jet.  i get the ire about hack but at the same time the position is so important that overdrafting in the hope of getting a good qb is not necessarily a bad thing.  if hack does turn out to be a decent qb (maybe not for the jets) then mac really would deserve some credit for the pick.  of course right now it looks pretty bad.  but considering that the jets pretty much missed on their previous 2nd round picks over the past 10 years it shouldn't have come as a surprise.

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

It's a good poll but there was more fighting about Ryan Fitzpatrick than any of these guys and more pure hatred. So he should have been on this list.  I voted for Mark because his terrible moments were not few and far between. But the biggest phony of the lot was Rex Ryan. I should have voted for him. As for Vern he was so invisible it was hard to hate him when you didn't even know he was there. 

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Other 

The worst thing to ever happen to this franchise in its history Ryan Fitzpatrick!

I just added Fitzpatrick to the list. 

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d like to rank these in order from “most defensible” to “least defensible.”

13. Dee Milliner: Freak, freak athlete at a premium position who had consistent, unqualified success at the highest levels of college football. Downfall: injuries

12.Vernon Gholston: Like Milliner, was a freak at a premium position who dominated st the highest levels of college football. Also, that first round was a trash bin anyway. Downfall: pussy

11. Jace Amaro: Had prototypical size, requisite athleticism, and ungodly production in college. Downfall: pussy

10.Geno Smith: At one time was the projected first overall pick. Good size, great arm, unreal collegiate production. Downfall: mush

9. Rex Ryan: Long history of succcess as a defensive coach, even though everyone who was the DC in Baltimore during that span looked like a genius. Downfall: Undisciplined narcissism 

8. Kyle Wilson: Good measurables, from a program that was producing good NFL players, at the bottom of the first round. Downfall: awful instincts

7. Mark Sanchez: Low-cost trade-up for a good-looking, face of the franchise-type QB with some talent. Downfall: tweens

6. Dewayne Robertson: Freaky athlete at a position that was highly sought after at the time. Was supposed to be the Warren Sapp for Herm’s Tampa Two. Downfall: Never really produced in college, either.

5. Devin Smith: Drafted exclusively based on his 40 time, which wasn’t even that great. Had no other skills, and didn’t like football anyway. Downside: All around awful pick

4. Vlad Ducasse: just so bad from start to finish, and is currently getting Buffalo QBs murdered. What makes it worse what that Victor Cruz was on this same college team. Downfall: awful pick

3. Calvin Pryor: A hard hitting safety with poor instincts who doesn’t run sub 4.5’s and struggles against the pass is just a bad pick in the first round cough. Downfall: inflated self-opinion cough

2. John Idzik: was the bookkeeper for the Tony Dungy Bucs and the Pete Carroll Seahawks, so had a decent pedigree, but was never in a position to make personnel decisions until he was hired here. Qualifier: no one wanted the job because of Rex and Woody. Downfall: Rex, Woody, the 2014 draft.

1. Christian Hackenberg: an egregious pick on a bad player who can’t throw a football in a straight line, serves as a harbinger of awful decisions to come from Mike Maccagnan. Downfall: wretched.

can't disagree much with this list.  i think sanchez deserves more love because he did play well in his first two seasons and was doing very well in the preseason before getting injured against the giaints.  after that idzik had his boy geno and we know what that turned into.  you gotta wonder what drove the decision to draft geno in the first place considering sanchez was already in place.  the buttfumble game? sanchez had that one really bad season when holmes decided to revert to the punk he always was.

Archived