With the 12th Pick, the NY Jets Select…

JetNation

2.png

All offseason the debate raged on about the Jets and if they were trying to “tank” for a better draft pick. The Jets insisted that wasn’t the goal and their play on the field has been consistent with that. After the offseason purge of veterans, the Jets roster did indeed get younger. They were able to put to rest the talk that they were trying to lose games when they decided to play a 38 year old QB in Josh McCown. With 4 wins in the first 10 games the Jets have exceeded expectations because they are no where near the first overall pick. According to tankathon, the Jets currently have the 12th pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

2.png

Exceeding expectations when people are predicting a winless season and being a good football team are two different things. Here is where the Jets sit today:

• Plenty of young talent to feel good about
  • Lots of cap room to rebuild through free agency
  • Still remain far away from finding the QB of the future

The last bullet is the most important one and that is why the “tank” crowd wants the best possible draft pick. Who is the QB going to be next year and beyond? The answer could come through free agency, i.e. Kirk Cousins, but the odds are the Jets will be drafting a QB in the 1st round next year.

So where will the Jets end up drafting? Sitting at 12 right now you have to think that they will draft lower than that. Look at the remaining schedule, it is very tough: Carolina Panthers (7-3), Kansas City Chiefs (6-4) , Denver Broncos (3-7), New Orleans Saints (8-2), LA Chargers (4-6), New England Patriots (8-2).

The Broncos and Chargers are the only teams with losing records. The Chargers have to travel to the east coast to play the Jets at 1pm on Christmas Eve. Huge advantage for the Jets. The Broncos game is in Denver and that is never easy.

The remaining opponents are a combined 29 and 11. With a schedule that tough you can expect the Jets to be drafting in the top 10. Plenty of time to talk about draft prospects, that is what our New York Jets draft forum is all about. For now we will be rooting for the Jets to win every week. The better the young prospects perform, the sooner they can get out of rebuild mode and start talking playoffs.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jAPr3n1-2Eo

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, JetNation said:

The remaining opponents are a combined 29 and 11.

This sucks for tie breaker purposes, the Jets will pick behind any team they have the same record with like you see above, Chargers same record, but pick 7th, stupid rule if you ask me, I don't have an answer for how to handle it, but when you play a team twice every year that goes 14-2 how are you on a level playing field for this tie breaker scenario?

"For now we will be rooting for the Jets to win every week. The better the young prospects perform, the sooner they can get out of rebuild mode and start talking playoffs."

No we will not. I will be rooting for them to lose every week not only to get a franchise QB but also in the off chance Chris Johnson has the balls to fire Todd Bowles. It is a fallacy to equate young prospect performance with wins. We would have had Odel Beckham JR   instead of Calvin Pryor if not for Geno Smith deciding to have a career day in Miami. The more loses the less premium draft picks to trade up or even better compensation to trade down.

of those teams the browns, giaints, broncos, chargers, and cardinals will be looking hard for a qb.  the jets can help themselves by losing to broncos and chargers.  but then there is buffalo lurking at 5-5  and it is doubtful that they win another game.  but they also have a boatload of draft picks to move up with san fran if they wanted to.  at this point the tank really has to start in earnest to maintain position.  i can see most of those continuing to want to win.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You really have to weigh the value of losing out on a top QB prospect vs the value of Josh McCown teaching Jamal Adams how to win football games.

Oh damn, and here I thought Jamaal Adams was teaching Josh McCown how to win football games considering he has doubled his win total this year from the last 3 years combined.

40 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Plenty of young talent to feel good about

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lots of cap room to build through free agency.

Hey guys you have all the answers you, should both start writing for the site. Please start educating us instead of just pissing on everything else.

Guess what? You can laugh at everything else but you are both sitting at the gas and sip on a Saturday night as well.

41 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Am I to feel comforted that so many people that predicted this team may be one of the worst in the history of the annals  of the NFL, are also many of the same people that are telling me that they have the keys of how to build a winner in the NFL?

I think so. It is simple apparently, root for the Jets to lose. They will draft San Darnold and somehow he will stop throwing interceptions.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Hey guys you have all the answers you, should both start writing for the site. Please start educating us instead of just pissing on everything else.

Guess what? You can laugh at everything else but you are both sitting at the gas and sip on a Saturday night as well.

Is that the annual "Snark of the year awards"?

Jets need to fix the damn Oline. Dak doesn't look as good without Zeke & his LT. People are going to think I'm crazy but if the Jets have no chance at Darnold or Rosen they should be all in on Lamar Jackson & build an offense around this guys talents. 

Do you know what type of QBs give the Pats fits? Guys that are unpredictable & much faster than thier slow azz front 7. Losses vs Alex Smith & Cam Newton...wins vs Brees, Winston, Carr, pocket passers. Lamar would be nasty on roll outs, RB fakes & keepers, the defense would HAVE TO keep a spy which instantly makes it 11 on 10 defenders. 

Well its really kinda silly to be doing this with 6 games left but I see them finishing with one maybe two more wins. Based on that I don't think they will be out of the top ten and fully expect Macchole to go BPA in the first. He will then pick a QB in the second that will have most scratching their heads. Just going by experience and past performance.

3 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well its really kinda silly to be doing this with 6 games left but I see them finishing with one maybe two more wins. Based on that I don't think they will be out of the top ten and fully expect Macchole to go BPA in the first. He will then pick a QB in the second that will have most scratching their heads. Just going by experience and past performance.

Yep . Macc be Maccing

13 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

they will be out of the top ten and fully expect Macchole to go BPA in the first. He will then pick a QB in the second that will have most scratching their heads. Just going by experience and past performance.

1st round, LT,  2nd round, qb like falk.  right after the draft, mccags will say he still has faith in hackenberg, while bowles will have already anointed mccown the starting qb and the OC morton will state he doesn't intend to play any of the young qbs in 2018 b/c 'this isn't triple A ball'.  while this is happening at one jets drive, the browns will be introducing rosen, the giants will be introducing darnold, and jackson, rudolph and mayfield will have landed on teams that intend to actually play them.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

1st round, LT,  2nd round, qb like falk.  right after the draft, mccags will say he still has faith in hackenberg, while bowles will have already anointed mccown the starting qb and the OC morton will state he doesn't intend to play any of the young qbs in 2018 b/c 'this isn't triple A ball'.  while this is happening at one jets drive, the browns will be introducing rosen, the giants will be introducing darnold, and jackson, rudolph and mayfield will have landed on teams that intend to actually play them.  

We draft nothing but defense until we get Barrett in the 5th round

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Sad but true

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If we’re gonna pick around this range. I think it’s huge if a team like the niners or bears pick in top 5. They’ll be our only hope in trading up. 

Maybe but Macc will screw it up and tbh the only qb worth trading up for is Darnold who probably won’t come out now because the browns are picking #1

Just stay at 12 and hope Lamar Jackson falls

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If we’re gonna pick around this range. I think it’s huge if a team like the niners or bears pick in top 5. They’ll be our only hope in trading up. 

here's where i see the issue.  even if darnold declares, you have the browns, who you have to assume will draft a qb, and then the 49ers/giants.  if the jets want either rosen or darnold, they'll have to trade up with the 49ers, if they're even ahead of the giants, who could sit at #2 and take a qb.

assuming those 2 qbs are gone in the top 3 picks most likely, there's a dropoff to the next tiers, who at this point i'm assuming include jackson/mayfield/rudolph/allen.  if this is how it plays out, i don't see mccagnan trading up for one of these qbs.  worse, i don't see him taking one wherever the jets pick in the first round.  i think his philosophy is, don't screw up your first round pick, then take more chances.  that's exactly how he darron lee/hackenberg scenario unfolded.  he thought he 'couldn't miss' with lee, then took a flier on a qb in the late 2nd round.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

here's where i see the issue.  even if darnold declares, you have the browns, who you have to assume will draft a qb, and then the 49ers/giants.  if the jets want either rosen or darnold, they'll have to trade up with the 49ers, if they're even ahead of the giants, who could sit at #2 and take a qb.

assuming those 2 qbs are gone in the top 3 picks most likely, there's a dropoff to the next tiers, who at this point i'm assuming include jackson/mayfield/rudolph.  if this is how it plays out, i don't see mccagnan trading up for one of these qbs.  worse, i don't see him taking one wherever the jets pick in the first round.  i think his philosophy is, don't screw up your first round pick, then take more chances.  that's exactly how he darron lee/hackenberg scenario unfolded.  he thought he 'couldn't miss' with lee, then took a flier on a qb in the late 2nd round.  

If the browns are picking #1 and Darnold does come out they will ask for the King’s Ransom

That means our entire draft, next year’s first and probably the year after that

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If the browns are picking #1 and Darnold does come out they will ask for the King’s Ransom

That means our entire draft, next year’s first and probably the year after that

right.  so if the browns take either rosen or darnold, the only way the jets would have a shot at the other guy is if the 49ers pick ahead of the giants, and the jets trade up.  and i doubt mccags would part with the draft capital to trade up to that slot anyway.  so he'll pick in the 10-12 range, most likely, and be faced with taking a qb like jackson, mayfield or allen, guys who in his mind are not ready to start, or he can take a safer guy like a LT who he can plug in right away like he did with williams/lee and his 2 prized safeties.  mccags is not the gm who takes a qb at 12, say, who he has rated 20th on his board when there's another player he has rated 8th who fell to him at #12.  and that's the biggest issue i have with him, he doesn't seem to grasp positional value.  it's as if he's building his version of the texans from a few years ago who were loaded but couldn't do anything b/c they had schaub as qb.  that's his blueprint for building a team.

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

right.  so if the browns take either rosen or darnold, the only way the jets would have a shot at the other guy is if the 49ers pick ahead of the giants, and the jets trade up.  and i doubt mccags would part with the draft capital to trade up to that slot anyway.  so he'll pick in the 10-12 range, most likely, and be faced with taking a qb like jackson, mayfield or allen, guys who in his mind are not ready to start, or he can take a safer guy like a LT who he can plug in right away like he did with williams/lee and his 2 prized safeties.  mccags is not the gm who takes a qb at 12, say, who he has rated 20th on his board when there's another player he has rated 8th who fell to him at #12.  and that's the biggest issue i have with him, he doesn't seem to grasp positional value.  it's as if he's building his version of the texans from a few years ago who were loaded but couldn't do anything b/c they had schaub as qb.  that's his blueprint for building a team.

I’m not a believer in trading the next 25 draft picks for a qb.  I want Darnold but please that’s insane

We should have started Hack so we go 0-16

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can I get a title change to “content creator” and can me and batesman host a podcast called “Things that are real” where we have people call in and we passive aggressively mock them for doing so? 

In all seriousness, I didn’t mean to disrespect the author of the piece. Just looking to get the conversation going. 

Archived