Bowles After the Bye

JetNation

IMG_2042.jpg

The bye week is over and the Jets were back in Florham Park. Todd Bowles said all players were present for practice. He wouldn’t give detailed updates on injuries. A full report is coming out on Wednesday.

Here are some quotes from Coach Bowles during his press conference on Monday.

On how he feels about the team’s current status with six games remaining…

We have six games to go. We control what we do. We take them one at a time, and we have to try to win them all.

On if he believes the team could have a good run at a playoff spot…

We believe we have to win them all and will let that take care of itself. We just have to win. We win, we take care of ourselves.

On if he looks at where teams currently are in the standings…

No, I don’t. I know we’re all jumbled up just by record-wise, but I didn’t really look at that as far as the games won/loss yesterday.

On what the energy was like around the team today…

It was good. They had a couple of days off. Any time people have some down time they come back more energetic than when they left. It’s been a long couple of weeks.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
eVZ3qpflv7k

Click here to read the full story...

Well so far under Bowles “leadership,” the team is 1-1 after byes and 0-3 after Thursday night games so he is 1-4 with extended time to prepare.

Add that Carolina also had a bye, we don’t get an advantage this time.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I wish it was good bye!

+1

If I could make any one change to the existing staff, I'd fire Bowles.  He is simply not a legitimate NFL Head Coach.  He is the kind of coach who is the poster child for "interim head coach", but who should never get the full gig.

Yet we gave him the full gig.

SOJ.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

+1

If I could make any one change to the existing staff, I'd fire Bowles.  He is simply not a legitimate NFL Head Coach.  He is the kind of coach who is the poster child for "interim head coach", but who should never get the full gig.

Yet we gave him the full gig.

SOJ.

Couldn't agree more. The Jets - in my mind - do not have the leadership at the top to make a playoff run. First of all, Bowles has done little to change the culture of the Jets, as the game in Tampa proved, they are not ready to take the bull by the horns. 5-5 is a lot better than 4-6 and the Jets had a Bucs team with a backup QB that wasn't good enough to play for them anymore and their top WR and STILL found a way to play flat and uninspired. Even if SOMEHOW they manage to beat Carolina and KC to get back to .500, the media will curse them with the four words Jets players fear most. "Control their own destiny" is the kiss of death to Jets players as icy fingers grip their scrotums (collectively) and you can bet the house they come out and play flat and uninspired. 

6 game audition..  if he goes .500 he'll definitely be back.

If they get blown out and/or look uninspired in a few games he's gone.

I'm indifferent to keeping him but the with the exception of that Bucs game disaster the team has been playing hard.

10 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I bet you $5 that we come out flat Sunday

I wish he was fired already I really do. When I read or hear him speak I want to pull whatever hair I have remaining out of my head.

I bet you $5 that we come out and get beat by a more talented team, and Jets fans call that "flat" because that's easier than acknowledging that the Panthers are just "better" by a significant margin.

Deal?

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I bet you $5 that we come out and get beat by a more talented team, and Jets fans call that "flat" because that's easier than acknowledging that the Panthers are just "better" by a significant margin.

Deal?

Were the jets flat or just beat by a better team the last game they played?

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Tampa defensive line dominated the Jets offensive line.  The Jets lost at the point of attack on nearly every play.  That is the primary reason they lost.

4 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Our offense is crap, and the defense wears out due to being on the field all day.  It has been this way forever.  It will continue to be this way as long as we draft defense in the first round every year.

Fallacy, the jets are 17th in he league in time of possession at 30:08 per game, they have the ball for more than half of the game and 32:44 at home.

The #1 culprit for a defense being on the field all day is the defense who cannot get off the field.

I love it when people blame the O for a the poor D being on the field all day as I watch  the other team go on an 8 minute long drive.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fallacy, the jets are 17th in he league in time of possession at 30:08 per game, they have the ball for more than half of the game and 32:44 at home.

The #1 culprit for a defense being on the field all day is the defense who cannot get off the field.

I love it when people blame the O for a the poor D being on the field all day as I watch  the other team go on an 8 minute long drive.

I stand corrected our offense is good:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

The Tampa defensive line dominated the Jets offensive line.  The Jets lost at the point of attack on nearly every play.  That is the primary reason they lost.

This is a good point. Seeing how the oline was dominated, I was shocked the Jets had a chance to get to .500 in that game. Because they were owned like they were winless.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

They had a penalty by Winters the 1st play of the game to back them up on the road. FLAT!

And not ready. Rex had this same problem.

It's truly amazing to me how long this regime has ignored the Oline, obviously QB & offense in general at the top of the draft. Shell is the only Oline starting olineman drafted by Macc, is that correct? Beachum (FA), Carpenter (FA), Wesley Johnson (?), doesn't matter he sucks, and too weak at the POA, Winters (Idzik), Shell. 

8 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I’m pretty happy with his one game at a time philosophy. We once tried to play musical chairs and pin the tail on the donkey at the same time at my sons 5 th birthday party and two people are still missing. 

Dad?

So far, as head coach, there were 2 games that could be classified as "must wins"; the Bills loss up in Buffalo which eliminated them from the playoffs, and last week's Tampa loss that would have got them to .500 before the bye and with a legitimate shot for a wildcard spot.

In both games, his team, under his leadership, laid a big fat egg.

This concerns me most about Bowles. Will he improve both as a tactician and as a motivator of men? The jury is still out and next 6 games will provide answers.

The Jets have only 4 wins & they are the least impressive wins by any 4 win team all season so far.

@ Cleveland Browns- Jets should have lost this game. This game was there for the taking & had the backup started this game instead of Kiser effing up over & over, there is no way we win this game.

Miami @ home- Cutler is shot, their offense is a dumpster fire and the Fins have been beat by crazy huge sums in their losses.

Jacksonville @ home. A complete anomaly game, if the Jets played this team 10 more times they would lose every game. Jags were on the road again after 1st having to worry about a hurricane in Florida, then travel to London for a game & then back on the road again in NY. Timing is everything.

Buffalo Bills @ home. Most complete game by the Jets all season that luckily ran out of time as Taylor & the Bills were actually making a comeback in a game the Jets should have closed the door but needed the clock to run out. This game gave Jet fans everywhere hope until the next 2 weeks when this Bills team gave up 9000 points, and benched Taylor for a rookie QB.

So there you have it. Not really a GOOD win in the whole bunch. 3 horrible teams and another suffering from natural disaster & Jet lag. 

Not a great resume for our cigar store Indian Head Coach. But he acts like he's beyond criticism and everyone has stupid questions regarding our 38 year old QB and how he's looking past the fact that this team never, ever had a chance at a playoff spot this year. Swiss cheese best describes this roster.

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

The Jets have only 4 wins & they are the least impressive wins by any 4 win team all season so far.

@ Cleveland Browns- Jets should have lost this game. This game was there for the taking & had the backup started this game instead of Kiser effing up over & over, there is no way we win this game.

Miami @ home- Cutler is shot, their offense is a dumpster fire and the Fins have been beat by crazy huge sums in their losses.

Jacksonville @ home. A complete anomaly game, if the Jets played this team 10 more times they would lose every game. Jags were on the road again after 1st having to worry about a hurricane in Florida, then travel to London for a game & then back on the road again in NY. Timing is everything.

Buffalo Bills @ home. Most complete game by the Jets all season that luckily ran out of time as Taylor & the Bills were actually making a comeback in a game the Jets should have closed the door but needed the clock to run out. This game gave Jet fans everywhere hope until the next 2 weeks when this Bills team gave up 9000 points, and benched Taylor for a rookie QB.

So there you have it. Not really a GOOD win in the whole bunch. 3 horrible teams and another suffering from natural disaster & Jet lag. 

Not a great resume for our cigar store Indian Head Coach. But he acts like he's beyond criticism and everyone has stupid questions regarding our 38 year old QB and how he's looking past the fact that this team never, ever had a chance at a playoff spot this year. Swiss cheese best describes this roster.

3 of our 4 wins were impressive.  We dominated Miami, I don't care what the excuse is we dominated them from start to finish.

Jacksonville has proven to be one of the better teams in the AFC and we beat them.  a fluky play gave us a long TD but 2 fluky plays brought Jax back or we would have easily won. Jax was 2-1 and had just crushed Baltimore. the hurricane is an excuse? so when they blew out Pittsburgh a week later they stopped thinking about the hurricane?

we dominated Buffalo.  Buffalo was the darling of the AFC back then.  They were 5-2 and had just beat Oakland at home.  we destroyed them, don't be fooled by the famous Tyrod Taylor garbage time explosion.  That game was over by the 4th qtr.

we blew some games we should have won but 75% of our wins were very impressive.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

3 of our 4 wins were impressive.  We dominated Miami, I don't care what the excuse is we dominated them from start to finish.

Jacksonville has proven to be one of the better teams in the AFC and we beat them.  a fluky play gave us a long TD but 2 fluky plays brought Jax back or we would have easily won. Jax was 2-1 and had just crushed Baltimore. the hurricane is an excuse? so when they blew out Pittsburgh a week later they stopped thinking about the hurricane?

we dominated Buffalo.  Buffalo was the darling of the AFC back then.  They were 5-2 and had just beat Oakland at home.  we destroyed them, don't be fooled by the famous Tyrod Taylor garbage time explosion.  That game was over by the 4th qtr.

we blew some games we should have won but 75% of our wins were very impressive.

Wins are tough to come by in the NFL, but let's be objective here. We split with two average or below average teams, beat a very good Jaguar team, and beat the Browns. We have nothing to brag about here.

16th in time of possession but 23rd in terms of points. So the time of possession does not correspond with scoring points meaning they manage to run some clock but don't do as well as they should on drives.  Basically that's your run/run/3 yard pass on 3rd and 7 offense. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Wins are tough to come by in the NFL, but let's be objective here. We split with two average or below average teams, beat a very good Jaguar team, and beat the Browns. We have nothing to brag about here.

we crushed 2 average/below average teams.  Our wins are 75% quality.  we got lucky vs. Cleveland but the other 3 we played well.  No one is bragging about 4-6 but it's silly to try to take away from our wins.

Archived