Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This guy would have turned this franchise upside down. We all know the story that leaked from Florham park that Terry Bradway was pounding the table for this guy. I'd love to know who & why he was overruled. It doesn't change it but it might shine a light on the disfunction of this franchise & I believe the disconnect in the power structure is a huge issue. It's why Rex was allowed to draft John Connor or his sons FREIND from Clemson. With everything I'm reading about the reviews on Hackenberg when he was drafted, it's scaring me that Macc is another one of these guys trying to find a needle in a hay stack. GMs do this all the time, trying to be smarter than the average bear.

Thats how guys like Stephen Hill, with all of what? 11 catches in college gets drafted in the 2nd round. Or Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd & then we find out he can barely understand English, but he played for Umass? Other than Hack, I believe Macc has drafted pretty well but the Hack mistake has had more ramifications because he did make a mistake drafting Hackenberg, we ignored our future QB sitting right there for the picking in Deshaun Watson. It's like doubling down on his mistake so I do understand fans here who want him fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets love to reach on players.  Jets love to draft on "measurables" over game tape and character.  Jets love to draft thinking they're in on a secret and are smarter than everyone else.

 

So true. This has gone on forever. I remember watching the draft when Zack Thomas came out & I wanted him in the 3rd round. But to the Jets he was too small, lol. Draftnicks were like, "All this guy does is make plays", the rest is history. 

Its how I feel this year regarding Lamar Jackson. You can't ignore what this guy is doing in college & the new rules allowing you to slide, throw away the ball from the pocket ect. make it so difficult for team defenses. Look at Belichick & the Pats, guys that are unpredictable you can't defend as easy. Guys that can move hurt the Pats, Cam Newton literally toyed with them. 

Think back to when Harbaugh went into New England with Keapernick & a great game plan, they kicked their azz. I'm very impressed with Morton & Bates, they don't have a lot to work with. Match our offensive pieces to other teams, I mean Powell has proven to be just a guy who gets nicked up, Forte is too old, Anderson his getting better but he's a one move wonder, Kearse, Kerley, Jags, who other teams let go. But we really don't know what we have in Stewart & Hanson, WR takes time to learn in the NFL but I'd love to see a guy like Jackson grow up with these guys. Learning scramble drills ect. with a mobile QB. It changes the entire dynamic & is exciting as hell! And they own 4th quarters when defenses tire, Wilson was unf*cking believable last night! He would have changed all our lives if they listened to Bradway (the one time that MF was ever right, lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Jets love to draft on "measurables" over game tape and character. 

In regard to Maccagnan, it’s actually been quite the opposite. Tannenbaum would do it occasionally, though the measurables he looked for aren’t the ones that actually correlate to NFL success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you projected the Russell Wilson draft situation onto this Jets team with Bowles and Maccagnan, Matt Flynn would still be the starting QB.

Yeag but only for couple more years. This team would unstoppable in 2021 .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In regard to Maccagnan, it’s actually been quite the opposite. Tannenbaum would do it occasionally, though the measurables he looked for aren’t the ones that actually correlate to NFL success.

I’m not sure whatever Mel Kipers says counts as a measurable .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Wilson was unf*cking believable last night! He would have changed all our lives if they listened to Bradway (the one time that MF was ever right, lol).

I think you answered your own question right there. Bradway was horrible, so why trust what he says. The real question is why he was still employed. He should have been fired as a GM and not demoted. That's one of the biggest issues I have with this franchise - they keep the turds ways too long and hire their buddies (see Kotite, Rodgers) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure you could do this for many teams but the list of QB's the Jets passed on who are starting (especially with all the injuries) in the NFL is pretty long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Jets love to reach on players.  Jets love to draft on "measurables" over game tape and character.  Jets love to draft thinking they're in on a secret and are smarter than everyone else.

 

ABSOLUTELY!  When a CPA in NC sees it, why cant the JETS. 2 examples

 

1- Saw Russel Wilson as a freshman at NC State. I knew he was special. I saw a little of this in Jacoby Brisset as well, not as much but I think he can be good as well.

2- Vlad Ducasse.  I looked at him, saw his ability and knew he was a bust.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And there we have the Jets OTHER constant problem:  they hate playing youth, and invariably stick with Veterans far too long at the expense of superior potential talents they drafted.

Sum it up, the Jets are amongst the worst talent acquisition/talent development teams of the recent past.  We draft poorly, then fail to play or develop the talent we do draft.

Because we suck at drafting.. we have no talent in youths. This year is showing improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

ABSOLUTELY!  When a CPA in NC sees it, why cant the JETS. 2 examples

 

1- Saw Russel Wilson as a freshman at NC State. I knew he was special. I saw a little of this in Jacoby Brisset as well, not as much but I think he can be good as well.

2- Vlad Ducasse.  I looked at him, saw his ability and knew he was a bust.

 

 

What do you think of Finley?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Jets love to reach on players.  Jets love to draft on "measurables" over game tape and character.  Jets love to draft thinking they're in on a secret and are smarter than everyone else.

 

That was certainly true in past era's especially Mike Tannenbaum's. He is the one that overruled Wilson, I believe. I don't believe that is true about Mac, but I also have my doubts that he knows how to evaluate college QB talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scouting, drafting, player development, the right system, the right pieces around them, are all a part of the equation for a QB. I have zero confidence we do any one of those things correctly. This notion that under Rex and Sporano, followed by Morningwood, or Bowles/Gailey would have had Wilson who he is today is not something I would bet money on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

Scouting, drafting, player development, the right system, the right pieces around them, are all a part of the equation for a QB. I have zero confidence we do any one of those things correctly. This notion that under Rex and Sporano, followed by Morningwood, or Bowles/Gailey would have had Wilson who he is today is not something I would bet money on.

I think it was @T0mShane who said Rex would have converted Russell Wilson to safety, which I think is dead-on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And there we have the Jets OTHER constant problem:  they hate playing youth, and invariably stick with Veterans far too long at the expense of superior potential talents they drafted.

Sum it up, the Jets are amongst the worst talent acquisition/talent development teams of the recent past.  We draft poorly, then fail to play or develop the talent we do draft.

So I guess when I see Adams, Maye, Jenkins, Shell, Anderson, Stewart, Lee, McGuire, Burris, and Edwards on the field I am just seeing a mirage. Donahue was also getting snaps before he was injured and Leggett would have as well but was hurt. That's a good percentage of the last 2 draft classes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And there we have the Jets OTHER constant problem:  they hate playing youth, and invariably stick with Veterans far too long at the expense of superior potential talents they drafted.

Sum it up, the Jets are amongst the worst talent acquisition/talent development teams of the recent past.  We draft poorly, then fail to play or develop the talent we do draft.

While they certainly suck at talent acquisition, the supposed claims of keeping other great talent down because they are younger has little-to-no evidence to support it.  Can we think of a single player since Farrior who went on to have such great success elsewhere once leaving the Jets?  More often than not, when the Jets aren't playing their young guys, no one else wants to play them either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

In regard to Maccagnan, it’s actually been quite the opposite. Tannenbaum would do it occasionally, though the measurables he looked for aren’t the ones that actually correlate to NFL success.

Yeah, if anything Macc has been repeatedly cited as questionably ignoring some measurables.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rex was also allowed to draft Mark Sanchez's childhood friend Scotty McKnight. Our drafting is never consistently strong. We throw in the occasional strong draft here and there to stay somewhat afloat and never completely bottom out like some of the other teams in the league, but we are never consistently good at drafting.

Hopefully Maac changes this. Early returns on our first rounders are at least fairly strong. We still can't figure out the second round though. Maye looks to be a good pick but Smith and Hack were disasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not drafting Russell Wilson has nothing to do with the current front office, scouting department  or coaching staff. 

Many of the posts in this thread are embarrassingly incorrect, Warfish’s most of all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While they certainly suck at talent acquisition, the supposed claims of keeping other great talent down because they are younger has little-to-no evidence to support it.  Can we think of a single player since Farrior who went on to have such great success elsewhere once leaving the Jets?  More often than not, when the Jets aren't playing their young guys, no one else wants to play them either.

Could argue Vilma and Moss. John Abraham. Or the guy who ended up with the Lions recently. Other than that hardly anyone off the top.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

What do you think of Finley?

He is , in my view, good back up material. Like a TJ Yates.  Good presence but something seems not quite ready for the big time.

But he is a very good QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Could argue Vilma and Moss. John Abraham. Or the guy who ended up with the Lions recently. Other than that hardly anyone off the top.

Moss is probably the one of those you could argue had been at all held back while with the Jets, other than his last year, but that was also in favor of the much-beloved Chrebet, so wasn't received so poorly in the days Moss was known as Sideline Santana.  Vilma and Abraham were both long-term starters and Pro Bowlers with the Jets, so even if they had better years after, it was hardly due to a lack of opportunities.

None of this is a defense of the Jets of course, but more a matter of them never even having the talent, as opposed to this recent surge of claims that they refuse to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×