Russell Wilson

Jetster

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Not drafting Russell Wilson has nothing to do with the current front office, scouting department  or coaching staff. 

Many of the posts in this thread are embarrassingly incorrect, Warfish’s most of all. 

9cb59b3c07d2a852174826fa14f9cd65.gif

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Which speaks to the other issue with the Jets which is no consistency in the FO or coaching staff. It's hard to consistently draft and develop good players who fit the needs of the Head Coach and system when you change GM's and Coaching staff every three years. This also speaks to the point of losing Vilma, Abraham and a couple others since it can be necessary to get rid of good players if they don't fit into the new coaching staff's schemes. 

Losing those guys due to scheme was not an issue.  Abraham was tagged.  The issue is having cheap young talent under contract.  Having Abraham tagged is not different than a huge signing. They got 4 years out of Vilma and six out of Abraham.  The issue is not having enough cheap young guys to fill that slot once they are gone.

Mangold was great to have from 2006-2010 or so.  Once he is signed to a $55M contract what good is he doing?  They could have gone out and signed anybody and would have been better off just sitting on a cheaper guy (like Jonathan Goodwin who they also drafted and played until 2014) 

The worst thing to do with a draft pick is to have them do nothing for a few years while they "develop" and then let them walk.  James Farrior was awful for that.  Decent player, not used, becomes very good to great with the Steelers for no compensation. Ugh.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Losing those guys due to scheme was not an issue.  Abraham was tagged.  The issue is having cheap young talent under contract.  Having Abraham tagged is not different than a huge signing. They got 4 years out of Vilma and six out of Abraham.  The issue is not having enough cheap young guys to fill that slot once they are gone.

Mangold was great to have from 2006-2010 or so.  Once he is signed to a $55M contract what good is he doing?  They could have gone out and signed anybody and would have been better off just sitting on a cheaper guy (like Jonathan Goodwin who they also drafted and played until 2014) 

The worst thing to do with a draft pick is to have them do nothing for a few years while they "develop" and then let them walk.  James Farrior was awful for that.  Decent player, not used, becomes very good to great with the Steelers for no compensation. Ugh.

This is precisely my point concerning Petty. Is Petty on track to be the next Tom  Brady, NO!!!!!

But could he be the type of dependable backup that quality teams require when their starter goes down?

The answer currently is maybe :( 

We just don’t know and what makes it more maddening is that teams this year and last asked to trade for Petty and the Jets declined which led me to believe that they valued Petty. Despite this you get statements  from Bowles like we already saw what Petty could do last year and thereby essentially dismissing Petty as a viable option. 

The point is clear; why are we keeping Petty if we don’t think he has the skill and ability to eventually be better than a historically poor 38 year old journman losing QB?

47 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Best pass rusher this franchise had since the 80’s we traded for a Center

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

C + cap space.  If you want to talk about positional value, that isn't where I would have gone.  They had Goodwin under contract.  

Tanny could have figured out a way to keep Abe.  We got rid of Abe because Mangina was an arrogant, inept d-bag who thought “culture” was more important than having good players

Sound familiar?

way too much hindsight here.  yep the jets have missed.  want to look at watson? 10 other teams passed on him too. i agree he seemed to have those winning intangibles that can make him a good qb but something else made those teams pass.  as for the jets, i think they are being taken out of context.  by accounts bowles did like watson but it turned out that mac and bowles liked adams better.  and the jets already had their qb position staffed long before the draft.

at this point, i'm still hopeful that hack can play qb at the nfl level but i'm also going to keep my powder dry and make sure a top flight qb is brought in either by draft or free agency.

24 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tanny could have figured out a way to keep Abe.  We got rid of Abe because Mangina was an arrogant, inept d-bag who thought “culture” was more important than having good players

Sound familiar?

We got rid of Abe because he found a way to be 'injured' in every big game we ever had because he didn't want to risk actual injury before his big payday. Kudos to him for taking care of #1 and family, but I don't want that guy on my favorite team.

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sound familiar?

I am not interested in "figuring out a way to keep" players.  A pass rusher is the guy to do that for, but at the start of an administration Abraham isn't necessarily the guy you want as a team leader.  I hated/hate Mangini more than anybody, but that team was in need of a culture change.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Didn't want to hurt Sanchez's feelings. This franchise has a decade-running tradition through the last three front offices to where we hang on to lost causes at QB for way too long and/or refuse to ever draft or develop a safety net in case the guy they are counting on sucks. Sanchez, Petty, and now Hackenberg. In the time we have committed to those three jabronis about 10 other teams have found starters in places that we passed on them.

The Jets 100% went out of their way to make sure there was no alternative to Sanchez so that they would not be tempted to pull him.  100 year old Mark Brunnel,. Tebow etc

we are arguing about John Abraham now?  are we forgetting he was hurt most of the time, had the DUI, was completely unreliable and we turned the pick into a borderline HOF C that anchored our OL for the next decade?  Abe was a big time pass rusher when healthy and motivated, unfortunately that wasn't often w/ us. we also had another young DE and we weren't paying both.  Ellis was the better all around DE and everything worked out for all involved in that move.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets 100% went out of their way to make sure there was no alternative to Sanchez so that they would not be tempted to pull him.  100 year old Mark Brunnel,. Tebow etc

yes b/c there were so many big time QBs available in FA at that time:rolleyes:  at the end the problem wasn't mark as much as it was not giving Mark any talent to play with.  when he had talent around him he succeeded here, when the weapons were Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and company he failed. 

25 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We got rid of Abe because he found a way to be 'injured' in every big game we ever had because he didn't want to risk actual injury before his big payday. Kudos to him for taking care of #1 and family, but I don't want that guy on my favorite team.

Most people claim that he missed a playoff game with a hangover.  Then they stretch that to his serious injury in 2004 when the dipsh*t coach kept saying they expected him to play when he couldn't even go in the walk-through.  Here is the story.  I remember my Dad watching 30 seconds of the practice on the TV news seconds and saying - "he can't go."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/abraham-weighing-his-risk-vs-reward-1.618578

21 minutes ago, King P said:

Not even close

I guess this guy didn't watch last nights game, lol. Wilson was a f*cking BEAST. Making plays all over the place. Dude was playing behind a sieve Oline, with backups coming in for injured starters like Oday Aboushi, lol! And some of the throws (not on the run) but full freaking sprints were lasers! Overrated? That guy is SPECIAL! Russell Wilson playing for the Jets would be a f*cking dream.

it's also funny to me how Jet fans could bash Bradway nonstop the way they did then all of a sudden take his word about Russell Wilson. Jet fans still bashed Bradway when he wasn't GM, he was still a scapegoat when things didn't go right for some reason but now want to talk about Russell Wilson and While Wilson is a top notch QB what do we think he would have done w/ our talent in 2012/13/14? and the coaching we had on offense.  I can guarantee you he wouldn't be the version we see now and fans would be bashing Tannenbaum and Bradway for the pick.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes b/c there were so many big time QBs available in FA at that time:rolleyes:  at the end the problem wasn't mark as much as it was not giving Mark any talent to play with.  when he had talent around him he succeeded here, when the weapons were Chaz Schilens, Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates and company he failed. 

Give me a ******* break.  They dumped Drew Stanton because that was too much pressure for him and Tebow.  He failed with all different weapons.  As soon as he wasn't propped up by a top 10 D and top 10 running game he flopped.  Povero Mark Sanchez.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

we are arguing about John Abraham now?  are we forgetting he was hurt most of the time, had the DUI, was completely unreliable and we turned the pick into a borderline HOF C that anchored our OL for the next decade?  Abe was a big time pass rusher when healthy and motivated, unfortunately that wasn't often w/ us. we also had another young DE and we weren't paying both.  Ellis was the better all around DE and everything worked out for all involved in that move.

John Abraham is the one pick your idiot coach got right when he was "picking the groceries."  Well, I guess Jason Ferguson too.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Give me a ******* break.  They dumped Drew Stanton because that was too much pressure for him and Tebow.  He failed with all different weapons.  As soon as he wasn't propped up by a top 10 D and top 10 running game he flopped.  Povero Mark Sanchez.

that's nonsense, they released Stanton b/c that is what Stanton wanted.  They told Stanton they wouldn't bring in another QB and then they went and got Tebow.  Do you actually think a)Stanton is better than Sanchez and b)Stanton would have made a difference on that team w/ that talent?

our run game was always overrated in in years 1 and 2.  The D was a top D in rankings but far too often came up small in big spots and needed to be bailed out by the pass O.  he was good for a rookie in 2009, really good in 2010 then took a step back in 2011 before it all collapsed in 2012.  In 2011 we took away his favrote WR in Edwards and his most trusted WR in Cotchery and 3 of his top 5 weapons entering that season would be out of football in 2012.  In 2012 he had 2 weapons who both got hurt so his main weapons ended up being Stephen Hill, Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates and Kerley.  That's a good group to try and win w/:lol:

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

John Abraham is the one pick your idiot coach got right when he was "picking the groceries."  Well, I guess Jason Ferguson too.

Al Groh picked Abe and when healthy/motivated he was a top pass rusher but that was rare for us and he wouldn't have been worth to us what we would have had to pay him.  It would have meant no more Ellis and no Mangold.  you think Abe was worth those 2 guys?  Ellis was the better all around DE anyway.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

There was dead QBs out there better than who they brought in to back up.  Also kinda funny that a dumb team like the Redskins go their guy in RG3 and then drafted another guy who is now going to make 30 million dollars next year.  The jets did everything in the world to coddle Sanchez from day one and that as much as anything helped with his demise as a QB.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There was dead QBs out there better than who they brought in to back up.  Also kinda funny that a dumb team like the Redskins go their guy in RG3 and then drafted another guy who is now going to make 30 million dollars next year.  The jets did everything in the world to coddle Sanchez from day one and that as much as anything helped with his demise as a QB.

Mark Sanchez was not why they didn't draft Russell Wilson. 

his demise was all about the surrounding parts and ultimately it is what got Tannenbaum fired. 

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that's nonsense, they released Stanton b/c that is what Stanton wanted.  They told Stanton they wouldn't bring in another QB and then they went and got Tebow.  Do you actually think a)Stanton is better than Sanchez and b)Stanton would have made a difference on that team w/ that talent?

our run game was always overrated in in years 1 and 2.  The D was a top D in rankings but far too often came up small in big spots and needed to be bailed out by the pass O.  he was good for a rookie in 2009, really good in 2010 then took a step back in 2011 before it all collapsed in 2012.  In 2011 we took away his favrote WR in Edwards and his most trusted WR in Cotchery and 3 of his top 5 weapons entering that season would be out of football in 2012.  In 2012 he had 2 weapons who both got hurt so his main weapons ended up being Stephen Hill, Chaz Schilens, Clyde Gates and Kerley.  That's a good group to try and win w/:lol:

hahahahaahahahahaha

#1 in points allowed.  #1 in yards.  You: "It was the defense's fault"

Running game overrated?  2009 #1 in yards, #3 in TDs #5 ypa, 2010, #4 yards, #9 in TDs, #8 ypa. "Running game not good enough!"

Drew Stanton is better than Sanchez.  Since 2014 Drew Stanton is 7-4, Mark Sanchez is 4-6 and barely in the league.  Sanchez is barely hanging on behind Glennon and Trubisky.  Murderer's Row!  Poor Mark can't recover from losing his favorite receiver and then his most trusted receiver?  Does he want a ******* tissue?  Why couldn't he make friends with Dez Bryant and Witten? Demaryius Thomas? 

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Al Groh picked Abe and when healthy/motivated he was a top pass rusher but that was rare for us and he wouldn't have been worth to us what we would have had to pay him.  It would have meant no more Ellis and no Mangold.  you think Abe was worth those 2 guys?  Ellis was the better all around DE anyway.

Yes.  Abraham was worth Ellis and Mangold.  Abraham + Goodwin >>>> Ellis + Mangold

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

hahahahaahahahahaha

#1 in points allowed.  #1 in yards.  You: "It was the defense's fault"

Running game overrated?  2009 #1 in yards, #3 in TDs #5 ypa, 2010, #4 yards, #9 in TDs, #8 ypa. "Running game not good enough!"

Drew Stanton is better than Sanchez.  Since 2014 Drew Stanton is 7-4, Mark Sanchez is 4-6 and barely in the league.  Sanchez is barely hanging on behind Glennon and Trubisky.  Murderer's Row!  Poor Mark can't recover from losing his favorite receiver and then his most trusted receiver?  Does he want a ******* tissue?  Why couldn't he make friends with Dez Bryant and Witten? Demaryius Thomas? 

The title game was the D's fault, no doubt about that and that "#1 D" blew multiple games late that season.  That's not what a big time D usually does.

Drew Stanton is not even close to mark Sanchez. 

ok so Drew Stanton is 7-4 since 2009, Mark Sanchez is 41-37 including 4 PLAYOFF wins.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, I am sure the surrounding parts are what got him dumped in Denver and Dallas.  

stop it.  he's a journeyman now.  he's damaged goods.  will never get another shot barring injuries(the one extended hot he got after a ninjury he played really well in Philly). none of this changes the fact that he was good for our franchise.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Abraham was worth Ellis and Mangold.  Abraham + Goodwin >>>> Ellis + Mangold

No he wasn't and they weren't worth it.  It's funny, I remember on the board I used to post at would bash Goodwin all the time.  He went somewhere else and became a solid starter but the fans got what they wanted when he wasn't retained.

Abe was inconsistent here, had the DUI, had all the injuries.  It made no sense to give him a huge contract.  we made the right decision and it turned out very well for us.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

his guy would have turned this franchise upside down. We all know the story that leaked from Florham park that Terry Bradway was pounding the table for this guy. I'd love to know who & why he was overruled

If we’re going to play the “what if” game,why not use Brady as the example. Supposedly a Jets’ scout badly wanted Brady but was overruled by Parcellls.  

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

No he wasn't and they weren't worth it.  It's funny, I remember on the board I used to post at would bash Goodwin all the time.  He went somewhere else and became a solid starter but the fans got what they wanted when he wasn't retained.

Abe was inconsistent here, had the DUI, had all the injuries.  It made no sense to give him a huge contract.  we made the right decision and it turned out very well for us.

Oh dear!  The board I used to post on would bash Goodwin! 

Abraham had 47 ******* forced fumbles.  47!  He had 4 less sacks than Ellis AS A JET.  That is despite Elllis soldiering on for an extra hundred years with the team.  If you don't think an extra 34 forced fumbles and 60 sacks is worth mildly worse center play you deserve a team full of safeties, inside linebackers and interior linemen. 

Archived