Talk about stupid play calling ...

ASH1962

That fake punt at the ATL 35 with 8 seconds to go in the first half last night was second only to the ridiculous Malcolm Butler pass in the SB that was picked off at the goal line a few years back, in the running for the most head scratching play call in an NFL game. WTF is/was Pete Carroll thinking? That play cost Seattle the game as they lost by 3 on a missed FG at the end of the game. Of course last night there was less at stake, but that was the second really stupid yet totally unnecessary play call which wound up costing Seattle games, one cost them a SB Championship. 

Yes it was a foolish play call.

My home town CFL team missed a possible chance to go to the Grey cup this past weekend with a worse play call by our coach.

Down by 7, have marched the ball down to the the other teams 14 yard line, 3rd down and 4  (remember only 3 downs in the CFL), a minute and half left in the game and he kicks a field goal.  This after gambling on 3rd and 10 at mid field and making it.  Moronic call and pretty well the whole fan base is in massive rage mode.

23 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I loved it because every Seattle loss increases the value of the 2nd round pick we got from them until Mac pisses it away on another Safety.

Mac's not that stupid. This year we're going back to back C. We just double dipped on safeties last year.

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes it was a foolish play call.

My home town CFL team missed a possible chance to go to the Grey cup this past weekend with a worse play call by our coach.

Down by 7, have marched the ball down to the the other teams 14 yard line, 3rd down and 4  (remember only 3 downs in the CFL), a minute and half left in the game and he kicks a field goal.  This after gambling on 3rd and 10 at mid field and making it.  Moronic call and pretty well the whole fan base is in massive rage mode.

You're Canadian?  That may explain a lot....:P

Nobody in the stadium, in the booth, watching on TV, or listening in their cars last night could figure out WTF he was thinking. Even Gruden who never shuts up was totally dumbfounded. What is amazing is how things like that cost teams games. At the time, it seemed like a stupid mistake that would not cost them a game, but in the end, a missed EP, a missed FG or a stupid play call like that where points were virtually guaranteed always come back to bit you in the fanny.

And as RESNEWYORK just pointed out, Seattle and penalties. Man I thought we were bad, but they got flagged on virtually every play last night. I still say there is way too much officiating going on, much too much scrutiny having to review every single play. That game ended close to midnight last night, totally ridiculous.

12 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

At the time, it seemed like a stupid mistake that would not cost them a game, but in the end, a missed EP, a missed FG or a stupid play call like that where points were virtually guaranteed always come back to bit you in the fanny.

As soon as that happend and I saw where they were on the filed, I straight up said, that is gonna be the difference in the game mark my words. sure enouh. 

Archived