Josh McCown expects to go the distance as Jets' starting QB ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This guy is going to be resigned and will be our starter next year.

I used to think this, but not anymore. Tyrod Taylor/Sam Bradford/Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith will all be available either by trade or FA. I'm now in the camp that the Jets will sign/trade for one of those guys, send a draft pick to Denver for Demariyus Thomas, spend FA $$$ on the OL and draft either a CB or EDGE in the 1st.

The Bills have a full-blown quarterback controversy. The Jets? There's no doubt at all. For those who want Bowles to play Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg for evaluational purposes, get a grip.

Three reasons why McCown is the right guy:

1. He's the best quarterback on the team. This sounds simple, but sometimes simplicity speaks the loudest. McCown didn't play particularly well in the last game, but he was under heavy pressure -- 14 quarterback hits by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has managed to avoid any prolonged slumps, no easy task with this offense.

2. They're still in the playoff hunt. So are the Bills (5-5), but that didn't stop McDermott from pushing the ejector button on Taylor. Despite having lost four of their last five, the Jets (4-6) are only one game behind in the wild-card race. Crazy, right? The games still matter, and it would be foolish to make a change now.

3. He's the team leader. McCown is one of the most respected players on the Jets and his leadership is invaluable, on and off the field. Bowles knows not to mess with that. The locker room would look at him sideways if he made a change.

season 9 laughing GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

1. He's the best quarterback on the team. This sounds simple, but sometimes simplicity speaks the loudest. McCown didn't play particularly well in the last game, but he was under heavy pressure -- 14 quarterback hits by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has managed to avoid any prolonged slumps, no easy task with this offense.

2. They're still in the playoff hunt. So are the Bills (5-5), but that didn't stop McDermott from pushing the ejector button on Taylor. Despite having lost four of their last five, the Jets (4-6) are only one game behind in the wild-card race. Crazy, right? The games still matter, and it would be foolish to make a change now.

Perhaps this video will help you with the counting.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This guy is going to be resigned and will be our starter next year.

Step 1: Resign McCown to a 2 year $10M per year deal

Step 2:Draft BPA in the first round

Step 3: Draft a mid round QB in a 'deep' class, proclaim 'open competition'

Step 4: Announce McCown as the winner of this relatively even competition because he gives the team 'best chance to win'

Step 5 - Go 6-10 and repeat for 2019

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

Step 4: Announce McCown as the winner of this relatively even competition because he gives the team 'best chance to win'

no open competition.  mccown will be named the starter right after the draft.  

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

The Bills have a full-blown quarterback controversy. The Jets? There's no doubt at all. For those who want Bowles to play Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg for evaluational purposes, get a grip.

3. He's the team leader. McCown is one of the most respected players on the Jets and his leadership is invaluable, on and off the field. Bowles knows not to mess with that. The locker room would look at him sideways if he made a change.

FF824702-CA8E-4914-8135-B92FD5F338D9.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Hey guys. This is one of those times where Cimini is smart and we should listen to him. Thank’s

11 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Sadly I can see this happening, but at least if it does, the consolation prize will be Mac and Bowles getting canned after the 2018 season.

27 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

I used to think this, but not anymore. Tyrod Taylor/Sam Bradford/Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith will all be available either by trade or FA. I'm now in the camp that the Jets will sign/trade for one of those guys, send a draft pick to Denver for Demariyus Thomas, spend FA $$$ on the OL and draft either a CB or EDGE in the 1st.

Don't hate it except for the Bradford part.  Guys been hurt too much to rely on

2 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Sadly I can see this happening, but at least if it does, the consolation prize will be Mac and Bowles getting canned after the 2018 season.

if mccagnan does this, doesn't go for it with a qb in this draft, then i have to conclude that he thinks his job security is more tied to not drafting a sanchez, then it is to finding a wentz.

4 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

Don't hate it except for the Bradford part.  Guys been hurt too much to rely on

Yeah.... I mean, I can read Maccagnan like a book, it's their MO. This is going to be entering year 4, they've gotta make the playoffs next year. They're not making a move to get a Darnold or Rosen. MAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE if Allen falls in round 1 they trade back up, but I'm positive they're going to try to make a big run.

2 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Yeah.... I mean, I can read Maccagnan like a book, it's their MO. This is going to be entering year 4, they've gotta make the playoffs next year. They're not making a move to get a Darnold or Rosen. MAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE if Allen falls in round 1 they trade back up, but I'm positive they're going to try to make a big run.

year 4 of him but only year 2 of the true rebuild.  whether that buys him more time we will see, esp. if he drafts a qb in the first round.  that may actually buy him more time, if he takes an allen in the first, rather than a tackle.  he could say you need a few years to see if his 'real' qb pans out.  

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Hey guys. This is one of those times where Cimini is smart and we should listen to him. Thank’s

and Costello yesterday... it's like they're reading my posts and espousing the truth to the masses.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is a solid plan carried out by very capable and intellectually secure administration officials who quite obviously have a clear vision for the future success of the franchise. Be sure to re-up your PSLs.

Maccs playing chess and you clowns are playing checkers.

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if mccagnan does this, doesn't go for it with a qb in this draft, then i have to conclude that he thinks his job security is more tied to not drafting a sanchez, then it is to finding a wentz.

See, I agree that he needs to find a QB but the worst thing he and this franchise should do is draft someone just because we need a QB.  Now, if he likes Rosen or Mayfield then do whatever it takes to get him but if these guys are unattainable b/c of our draft position then go with the next best strategy.  I do think they need to draft a QB this year and give that QB a real shot but a real backup plan like Tyrod Taylor could make a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc has had 3 redshirt years.  Deal with it man.  

i can't wait for the spin for why the scrub qb he takes in the 2nd round in 2018 will fare substantially better and eventually start for the team, as opposed to how petty and hackenberg have devolved.  i wonder which scouts are working on this right now.

46 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Step 2:Draft Some scrub DB in the first round

You predicted the next 24 months I see

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i can't wait for the spin for why the scrub qb he takes in the 2nd round in 2018 will fare substantially better and eventually start for the team, as opposed to how petty and hackenberg have devolved.  i wonder which scouts are working on this right now.

Hard to devolve when you were lousy to begin with

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

Maccs playing chess and you clowns are playing checkers.

The queen on our chess board can't hit the ocean and one of the rooks is and 2nd rounder that can only run go routes when he is healthy, and we have a pawn ILB pretending he's a knight.  We used our top two picks in the last draft on pawns, but they are pretty good pawns,

55 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

giphy.gif&key=3e867b57e6531c203bba3da756

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The queen on our chess board can't hit the ocean and one of the rooks is and 2nd rounder that can only run go routes when he is healthy, and we have a pawn ILB pretending he's a knight.  We used our top two picks in the last draft on pawns, but they are pretty good pawns,

you're indulging a poster who is intentionally doing everything in his power not to be taken seriously.....

4 minutes ago, jetgreen13 said:

you're indulging a poster who is intentionally doing everything in his power not to be taken seriously.....

I'm agreeing with an NFL coach who has spent his life dedicated to the sport, a GM who has dedicated his life to the sport, and reporters who have dedicated their professional lives to cover the sport,  and I'm not to be taken seriously because I don't agree with lunatics on this site calling for everyone's head.  

Makes sense to me.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

I'm agreeing with an NFL coach who has spent his life dedicated to the sport, a GM who has dedicated his life to the sport, and reporters who have dedicated their professional lives to cover the sport,  and I'm not to be taken seriously because I don't agree with lunatics on this site calling for everyone's head.  

Makes sense to me.

CapitalHarmfulCanvasback-max-1mb.gif

Archived