Josh McCown expects to go the distance as Jets' starting QB ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking Petty and Hack are "developing" and "progressing". The Jets forever have not gone all in on a QB. There seems to be a good class of very good QB'S coming out this year. If McCown continues on his path he will probably be with the Jets next year. I'd like to see the Jets move up in the draft to #2 or #3 and select a QB. Keep 4 on the roster through preseason 2018 and cut the low man before the season starts. They may feel confident with what they have and ride it out. 

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a solid plan carried out by very capable and intellectually secure administration officials who quite obviously have a clear vision for the future success of the franchise. Be sure to re-up your PSLs.

OcpUaKL.gif

On 11/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, drsamuel84 said:

See, I agree that he needs to find a QB but the worst thing he and this franchise should do is draft someone just because we need a QB.  Now, if he likes Rosen or Mayfield then do whatever it takes to get him but if these guys are unattainable b/c of our draft position then go with the next best strategy.  I do think they need to draft a QB this year and give that QB a real shot but a real backup plan like Tyrod Taylor could make a lot of sense.

Simple fact of the matter is that IF there is a Taylor, Bradford etc. on the roster, Bowles will play them over the young guys retained/drafted to the roster.  It's a foregone conclusion.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:58 PM, Skeet Ulrich said:

I used to think this, but not anymore. Tyrod Taylor/Sam Bradford/Kirk Cousins/Alex Smith will all be available either by trade or FA. I'm now in the camp that the Jets will sign/trade for one of those guys, send a draft pick to Denver for Demariyus Thomas, spend FA $$$ on the OL and draft either a CB or EDGE in the 1st.

The thing that sticks in my head is that we have a ton of money to spend in free agency,  if we don't spend it on a QB, where's all that money gonna go?

Paxton Lynch was supposed to be a multi-year project. It’s hard enough to sell a fan base on a first-round, multi-year project QB, but impossible when you don’t have anyone else who can play on your roster. So now, putting in the proper development time goes out the window, and into the fire Lynch goes despite the shoulder injury he’s been nursing all season and despite the fact that he hasn’t thrown a meaningful pass in almost a calendar year.

Oh! And then there’s the fact that the Broncos just fired offensive coordinator Mike McCoy on Monday. So Lynch has been a Denver Bronco for a little less than 19 months, and he’s currently on his third offensive coordinator (now Bill Musgrave, if you’re scoring at home) and third quarterbacks coach (now Klint Kubiak).

The only way the road map for Lynch could have gone more poorly was if they put him in charge of unclogging the rickety ol’ garbage disposal in the break room (someone keeps putting their gunked-up Hot Pocket sleeves down there and the only way to fix it is to jam your fingers way down in to dig out the clog—and as you know, with the faulty wiring sometimes that thing just turns on by itself!).

But the lack of a serviceable bridge QB means the Broncos need to know right now whether or not Lynch secretly developed on his own. And if he didn’t (he didn’t), they’re back to the drawing board at quarterback this offseason.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/25/week-12-new-orleans-saints-los-angeles-rams-paxton-lynch-start-dolphins-offensive-line-patriots?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

Paxton Lynch was supposed to be a multi-year project. It’s hard enough to sell a fan base on a first-round, multi-year project QB, but impossible when you don’t have anyone else who can play on your roster. So now, putting in the proper development time goes out the window, and into the fire Lynch goes despite the shoulder injury he’s been nursing all season and despite the fact that he hasn’t thrown a meaningful pass in almost a calendar year.

Oh! And then there’s the fact that the Broncos just fired offensive coordinator Mike McCoy on Monday. So Lynch has been a Denver Bronco for a little less than 19 months, and he’s currently on his third offensive coordinator (now Bill Musgrave, if you’re scoring at home) and third quarterbacks coach (now Klint Kubiak).

The only way the road map for Lynch could have gone more poorly was if they put him in charge of unclogging the rickety ol’ garbage disposal in the break room (someone keeps putting their gunked-up Hot Pocket sleeves down there and the only way to fix it is to jam your fingers way down in to dig out the clog—and as you know, with the faulty wiring sometimes that thing just turns on by itself!).

But the lack of a serviceable bridge QB means the Broncos need to know right now whether or not Lynch secretly developed on his own. And if he didn’t (he didn’t), they’re back to the drawing board at quarterback this offseason.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/25/week-12-new-orleans-saints-los-angeles-rams-paxton-lynch-start-dolphins-offensive-line-patriots?utm_campaign=themmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

The Broncos have 3 wins (we have 4) and they’re yet another team who badly needs a QB.  Browns, Giants and Broncos. 

Btw the 49ers traded for Garropolo and haven’t been playing him “but there’s no such thing as tanking”.

It’s almost certainly in our best interest for the 49ers to get as high a pick as possible because they’re set up to trade down for a boatload of picks.  At least it will give Macc an option should he choose to take it.  Though I think we’re far more likely to end up with Alex Smith. 

I start McCown next Sunday. Not because of him although he has been ok to good but for the culture we are trying to build. Our guys are playing hard esp on defense and I don't want them to think the org is quitting on them and not trying to win games.  Bowles is getting a good effort out of our younger players. Guys like Lee, Adams, Maye, etc are hopefully going to be here for a long time. Look when you bust your gut and put your body on the line in a violent sport like football it's easy for a player on a losing team to jake it. And when this happens you can lose a team. This has not happened. The Jets are a tough and a very competitive team despite the record. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I start McCown next Sunday. Not because of him although he has been ok to good but for the culture we are trying to build. Our guys are playing hard esp on defense and I don't  want them to think the org is quitting on them and not trying to win games.  Bowles is getting a good effort out of our younger players. Guys like Lee, Adams, Maye, etc are hopefully going to be here for a long time. Look when you bust your gut and put your body on the line in a violent sport like football it's easy for a player on a losing team to jake it. And when this happens you can lose a team. This has not happened. The Jets are a tough and a very competitive team despite the record. 

Disagree the players have to be as frustrated as hell more so than the fans Josh McCown is killing this team. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree the players have to be as frustrated as hell more so than the fans Josh McCown is killing this team. 

Yet....Bowles will state that he is the best prepared to win and thus onus falls on MAC and Idzik for having no QB.   Yet Bowles job is to develop a player.  Hack and Petty must really suck.  Cut them both end of year, sign McCown to league minimum and draft a fukkin QB or sign Cousins. 

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yet....Bowles will state that he is the best prepared to win and thus onus falls on MAC and Idzik for having no QB.   Yet Bowles job is to develop a player.  Hack and Petty must really suck.  Cut them both end of year, sign McCown to league minimum and draft a fukkin QB or sign Cousins. 

Agree off-season has to be QB or bust! 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Why would we do that when we’ll have our choice of:

Josh McCown

Blaine Gabbert

Ryan Fitzpatrick 

RG III

Brian Hoyer

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Cousins?  The guy who became a f/t starter at 27 yrs old, his 4th yr in the league and 2nd yr in Gruden's system?  

If you're going to trash Bowles for not developing a QB, he should be given kudos for developing Lee, Roberts, Maye, ASJ, Davis etc...But those players and their position coaches should be given kudos as well as the current environment which allows for them to be developed.  And if Petty/Hack really suck as you say, then shouldn't that criticism be directed at the guy who picked them. 

Development, especially the QB position, takes time. Does it mean Petty/Hack are the answer? No idea. Odds are they won't be. Can we for a change have some stability throughout the organization. Allow Morton/Bates and the O players a 2nd yr in their WCO. 

I still question if this fanbase will allow for a rookie QB, especially a QB picked in the top 10, to be properly developed, which will require time.  

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Cousins?  The guy who became a f/t starter at 27 yrs old, his 4th yr in the league and 2nd yr in Gruden's system?  

If you're going to trash Bowles for not developing a QB, he should be given kudos for developing Lee, Roberts, Maye, ASJ, Davis etc...But those players and their position coaches should be given kudos as well as the current environment which allows for them to be developed.  And if Petty/Hack really suck as you say, then shouldn't that criticism be directed at the guy who picked them. 

Development, especially the QB position, takes time. Does it mean Petty/Hack are the answer? No idea. Odds are they won't be. Can we for a change have some stability throughout the organization. Allow Morton/Bates and the O players a 2nd yr in their WCO. 

I still question if this fanbase will allow for a rookie QB, especially a QB picked in the top 10, to be properly developed, which will require time.  

When you draft a JAG like Christian Hackenberg you get what you drafted. 

When you draft a decent college QB you get just that a decent college QB. 

The developing you speak of how are the Jets developing Christian Hackenberg?  Playstation? X-box? 

Please enlighten us all. 

On 11/21/2017 at 3:20 PM, Pac said:

I'm agreeing with an NFL coach who has spent his life dedicated to the sport, a GM who has dedicated his life to the sport, and reporters who have dedicated their professional lives to cover the sport,  and I'm not to be taken seriously because I don't agree with lunatics on this site calling for everyone's head.  

Makes sense to me.

Under this logic, no coach or GM should every get fired for poor results because every coach and GM has dedicated their lives to the sport.

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

Under this logic, no coach or GM should every get fired for poor results because every coach and GM has dedicated their lives to the sport.

no..  all I said was I agree with guys who have a little more experience in these matters than DefenseWinsCHampionsZ, Integrity28, or Dbuttman.

48 minutes ago, Pac said:

no..  all I said was I agree with guys who have a little more experience in these matters than DefenseWinsCHampionsZ, Integrity28, or Dbuttman.

So you're siding with the reporters?  Reporters have criticized Maccagnan and Bowles profusely as much much as the ones who support them.  You're just agreeing with the ones whose points you agree with.

You also once agreed posted an article written by an 11-year old, because he supported Rex Ryan.  I guess he's spent his life dedicated to football too, so maybe you're on to something here.  

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

When you draft a JAG like Christian Hackenberg you get what you drafted. 

When you draft a decent college QB you get just that a decent college QB. 

The developing you speak of how are the Jets developing Christian Hackenberg?  Playstation? X-box? 

Please enlighten us all. 

What’s the point. Whatever would be said is just going to be dismissed and inadequate in your eyes. I’m not in meetings, practices and neither have been you. 

I already said it doesn’t mean he’ll be the answer. Odds are he and Petty won’t. Just pointed out Cousins at this stage wasn’t the QB he is now neither were Keenum, Alex Smith etc...

I’ll continue to say this fanbase won’t allow for any young QB to develop. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What’s the point. Whatever would be said is just going to be dismissed and inadequate in your eyes. I’m not in meetings, practices and neither have been you. 

I already said it doesn’t mean he’ll be the answer. Odds are he and Petty won’t. Just pointed out Cousins at this stage wasn’t the QB he is now neither were Keenum, Alex Smith etc...

I’ll continue to say this fanbase won’t allow for any young QB to develop. 

So are saying this is why Mike Maccagnan signs loser journeymen and thinks the results will be different to appease fans who wont wait for any young QB to develop? 

I think its more of that Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are morons and don't know any better, neither belong in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

You have posted  a lot of good stuff over the years. Here you read too quickly. I clearly stated the ONUS is on MACC for QB's. I dont know if Hack/Petty really suck BUT I do know that we haven't developed a QB in years and if Hack or Petty could play, one of them should. Cousins in my view is an example of a later round pick who can play. Is he great? NO..but we have picked 3 QB's in rounds 4 or earlier and none have been developed, cousins can play.  Mine was not a post of all that is right or wrong. It is on poor management.  

We can have the greatest defense in the world but until we get a QB who can be in the 8-14 range, we are no where.

I did NOT say fire Bowles, I did not say Fire MAC.  I said we need to develop a QB and that falls on management.

Playing McCown does NOTHING long term so why do we do it?   

In my view, it is MAC and Bowles dont want to go 2-14 or 3-13 as it reflects on them.

I would be thrilled if McCown was a rookie. His arm and other things give hope.  Id be fine with a rookie if we went 2-14 . Your comment in last paragraph??  We all were in for developing Mark. I think THIS team (Rex and Co) ruined the kid. Was he great? NO of course not but treated properly, he could be a number 12-13 QB in the league. We took away his weapons, had OC's come and go. THAT is a poor management plan for a number 5 pick.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

You have posted  a lot of good stuff over the years. Here you read too quickly. I clearly stated the ONUS is on MACC for QB's. I dont know if Hack/Petty really suck BUT I do know that we haven't developed a QB in years and if Hack or Petty could play, one of them should. Cousins in my view is an example of a later round pick who can play. Is he great? NO..but we have picked 3 QB's in rounds 4 or earlier and none have been developed, cousins can play.  Mine was not a post of all that is right or wrong. It is on poor management.  

We can have the greatest defense in the world but until we get a QB who can be in the 8-14 range, we are no where.

I did NOT say fire Bowles, I did not say Fire MAC.  I said we need to develop a QB and that falls on management.

Playing McCown does NOTHING long term so why do we do it?   

In my view, it is MAC and Bowles dont want to go 2-14 or 3-13 as it reflects on them.

I would be thrilled if McCown was a rookie. His arm and other things give hope.  Id be fine with a rookie if we went 2-14 . Your comment in last paragraph??  We all were in for developing Mark. I think THIS team (Rex and Co) ruined the kid. Was he great? NO of course not but treated properly, he could be a number 12-13 QB in the league. We took away his weapons, had OC's come and go. THAT is a poor management plan for a number 5 pick.

Going 2-14 as a rookie doesn't mean they will get better.....Cousins developed by sitting, didn't he? 

Again, at this stage (2nd yr in NFL at age 25 after a 4 yr college career) Cousins was sitting on the bench.  Hack is 22 yrs old following 3 yrs in college...AGAIN, I'm not saying he is going to be anything but IMO development, especially at QB, requires time to learn the O, protections, observe, watch film, learn D tendencies,  etc..

There are anomalies.  But for the most part I believe there isn't anything wrong w/sitting a yr or two.  What has made this worse was switching OC / systems. Also the CBA is killing the game, especially the QB position (OL/DL suffers too)....To think a young QB can't work w/his coaches until mid-April is ridiculous...As is thinking a 22 yr old kid can't improve..

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

OMG....everything in a vacuum..the stupidity here. adios.

Does the TRUTH hurt?  

Who is Josh McCown mentoring here? 

Lets hear it you know everything and anything. 

Change your user name to K Mart they OUT OF BUSINESS

I will be waiting for your reply. 

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Going 2-14 as a rookie doesn't mean they will get better.....Cousins developed by sitting, didn't he? 

Again, at this stage (2nd yr in NFL at age 25 after a 4 yr college career) Cousins was sitting on the bench.  Hack is 22 yrs old following 3 yrs in college...AGAIN, I'm not saying he is going to be anything but IMO development, especially at QB, requires time to learn the O, protections, observe, watch film, learn D tendencies,  etc..

There are anomalies.  But for the most part I believe there isn't anything wrong w/sitting a yr or two.  What has made this worse was switching OC / systems. Also the CBA is killing the game, especially the QB position (OL/DL suffers too)....To think a young QB can't work w/his coaches until mid-April is ridiculous...As is thinking a 22 yr old kid can't improve..

Understood.... but a major difference is MANY were calling for cOusins to play year 2.  He didn’t need 4 years. Shanahan waited as long as he could....because he was coach when RG was chosen.  I personally don’t think any QB needs more than 1 year on the bench if he has the goods. 2 at the most yet we see HACK not even dressing.  

Archived