Mauldin won't be prosecuted

shevys

Jets' Lorenzo Mauldin won't be prosecuted over misdemeanor assault arrest

Dick Semeni ESPN Staff Writeroo

TwitterFacebook MesseninterestEmaicom

New York Jets linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin, who was arrested in June for misdemeanor assault after allegedly attacking a man in April nightclub altercation, will not face charges after the Manhattan District Attorney declined to prosecute on Tuesday.

"I want to thank everyone who stood behind me," Mauldin said in a statement. "I was fortunate to have the resources to fight the case and clear my name when, too often, others don't. I'm glad this is behind me so I can focus on football and the future."

Under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, the league still has the right to discipline him under the personal-conduct policy. The NFL was reviewing the matter at the time of the arrest. Mauldin still faces an ongoing civil suit.

Mauldin was accused of punching Jean Lopez, 22, of Queens, in the face on April 2, according to the New York City Police Department arrest report. Lopez claimed he was struck in the face after he accidentally spilled champagne on Mauldin.

In August, Mauldin returned to court for a desk appearance and was told by prosecutors the paperwork wasn't ready.

"Lorenzo Mauldin was completely innocent and has been cleared of all wrongdoing," his attorney, Alex Spiro, told ESPN on Tuesday.

Mauldin, 25, a third-round pick in 2015, was projected as a starter this season, but he missed nearly the entire preseason with a back injury. He wound up having surgery and was placed on injured reserve. In his first two seasons, he played in 26 games and recorded 6.5 sacks.

20 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Lorenzo Mauldin won't be prosecuted, but he will be cut in the off season. He's got worse every year, and this year he's not even played. He not a Jet in 2018 book it.

I think nowadays an NFL player has to be completely committed.  Maybe the bb players can clown around.  But between getting in trouble and the effect of partying on your body, an NFL player who spends too much time out is not productive. 

It seems like the guys who go out get hurt.  I think that was also the Devin Smith problem.

Lorenzo had no business at the gay nightclub.  I think he is done.

12 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think nowadays an NFL player has to be completely committed.  Maybe the bb players can clown around.  But between getting in trouble and the effect of partying on your body, an NFL player who spends too much time out is not productive. 

It seems like the guys who go out get hurt.  I think that was also the Devin Smith problem.

Done going to gay night clubs or playing football?

Did he have business going to the non-gay nightclub? Asking for a friend.

7 hours ago, varjet said:

ppl  who generally go to gay nightclub are theree for 2 reasons. to get some head/anus or, B, to get REALLY FVCKED UP 

i could never imagine partying like some of them and then i guess not sleeping and getting strapped up for stretches and a damn football game lol.. young dudes tho... and the steroids and T boosters prob have a factor, when I was a young buck I used to drinl all day and night and party my ass off and never be hungover... interesting times lol i think 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My favorite feel good story will be when we finally draft a real QB and effective pass rusher.  

But what if he has "character concerns" just our luck we would have that guy fall in our laps wating to fix the pass rush. 

Of course we would have to choose a jag with a sob story... and then sign a Brandon Marshall or some dude who jerks off in his car watching soccer moms in the target parking lot 

3 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

But what if he has "character concerns" just our luck we would have that guy fall in our laps wating to fix the pass rush. 

Of course we would have to choose a jag with a sob story... and then sign a Brandon Marshall or some dude who jerks off in his car watching soccer moms in the target parking lot 

Best Pass rusher ever. LT total Bolivian Nose Candy junkie.

I don't care, can they play football? It would help if we drafted Edge Rushers with some athleticism.p

Mauldon, Jordan, Donahue, all slow and with no real burst, or ability to Change direction in a hurry. It's like Calvin Pace is the prototype we model our OLB's on.

Archived