Rank 'Em: Best NYJ QBs From 2000 - 2017

TuscanyTile2

Below are the options.  Here are my rankings

1) Mark Sanchez: Won 4 road playoff games (including beating Brady and Peyton on the road) and got us into 2 AFC title games.  He was still pretty awful though and ultimately got booed out of town.

2) Chad Pennington: Won 2 playoff games (including destroying Peyton 41-0).  Had a couple of decent years.  It was an honor for reporters to cover him and his noodle arm.

3) Brett Favre: Despite him playing here for 1 year (and throwing 22 ints)  I think he's actually the best QB on this list (until, of course, he got hurt).  But I'm giving the nod to Sanchize and Chad because they played here for much longer. 

4) Ryan Fitzpatrick: Had 1 great year stat-wise (though choked in game 16) and 1 terrible year. 

5) Josh McCown: His completion % and overall halfway decent play gets him to 5th on my list

6) Vinny Testaverde: His great season was in 1998.  The 2000's were the post-torn ACL years.  Not so great.

7) Geno Smith: Actually showed a couple of flashes as a starter and was probably thrown to the wolves way too early (destroying his confidence). But let's not kid ourselves.  He stunk

8) Kellen Clemens: I'm not as high on him as Ron Jaworski was but I guess he was good enough to be a journeyman backup type QB

9) Brooks Bollinger: Pretty terrible.

2000:
image.png

2001:

image.png

2002:

image.png

2003:

image.png

2004:

image.png

2005:

image.png

2006:

image.png

2007:

image.png

2008:

image.png

2009:

image.png

2010:

image.png

2011:

image.png

2012:

image.png

2013:

image.png

2014:

image.png

2015:

image.png

2016:

image.png

2017:

image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Jets_starting_quarterbacks

image.png

Not sure why you gave Sanchez credit for the AFC title game appearance but dismiss what Vinny did in 1998.  Favre teased the crap out of us for 12 weeks.  Vinny balled in 1998 and had the game of his life against the eventual SB champion Ravens that had it not been for 2 punt return TDS, we would have won and made the playoffs.

Its actually way off base that you would put McCown on this list ahead of Vinny.  

Just now, Pcola said:

Not sure why you gave Sanchez credit for the AFC title game appearance but dismiss what Vinny did in 1998.  Favre teased the crap out of us for 12 weeks.  Vinny balled in 1998 and had the game of his life against the eventual SB champion Ravens that had it not been for 2 punt return TDS, we would have won and made the playoffs.

Its actually way off base that you would put McCown on this list ahead of Vinny.  

I'm only counting what they did from 2000 onward.  If I went back to 1998, Vinny would easily be tops on this list.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm only counting what they did from 2000 onward.  If I went back to 1998, Vinny would easily be tops on this list.

I gotcha.  So basically since 2000, we have had post injury Chad, Favre rental, bottom 5 QB in Sanchez, Geno and the Mac Jags.

Pretty sad.

1. Sanchez- franchise leader in playoff wins

2. Chad- whenever he played at least 3/4 of games we made the playoffs

3. Vinny- came back from serious injury and did help us win 10 games and make playoffs

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick- cost us playoffs but there isn't much on this list

5. Josh McCown- giving us hope in hopeless year

6. Geno Smith- showed flashes but that punch basically ended any chances he had here

7. Brett favre- never wanted to be here and sabotaged a chance at a great season in a down AFC without Brady.

the thing is none of these have a very long body of work with the jets.  chaddy was there the longest but he was injured a lot.  had he not been a china doll he would've easily topped the list.  sanchez?  who knows how well he would've played had he not been injured to start the 2013 season. and once you get past vinny in the list you really can't call any of them qb's.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

the thing is none of these have a very long body of work with the jets.  chaddy was there the longest but he was injured a lot.  had he not been a china doll he would've easily topped the list.  sanchez?  who knows how well he would've played had he not been injured to start the 2013 season. and once you get past vinny in the list you really can't call any of them qb's.

if Chad was durable we'd be talking about him being the best QB in franchise history, actually it wouldn't even be a contest if he was durable and could play 16 games a year in most seasons but it's jet luck that we finally had a young franchise caliber QB and he was damaged goods. 

4 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Any list that has Snachez higher than #5 would be a strong clinical indicator of significant hallucinogen usage or someone simply suffering from unrequited swarthy hispano man love.

a9d6d0bb4faf45d23851bac09a56c8a58477f010

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1. Sanchez- franchise leader in playoff wins

2. Chad- whenever he played at least 3/4 of games we made the playoffs

3. Vinny- came back from serious injury and did help us win 10 games and make playoffs

4. Ryan Fitzpatrick- cost us playoffs but there isn't much on this list

5. Josh McCown- giving us hope in hopeless year

6. Geno Smith- showed flashes but that punch basically ended any chances he had here

7. Brett favre- never wanted to be here and sabotaged a chance at a great season in a down AFC without Brady.

Down year in the AFC? The Pats missed the playoffs with 11 wins.

3 minutes ago, mtwarlock31 said:

Down year in the AFC? The Pats missed the playoffs with 11 wins.

they lost 5 more games than the year before, that's a HUGE difference.  The playoff field in 2008 was weak, Miami went from 1 win to 11.  our scheds in the AFC were maybe the weakest we have ever had and we went 1-4 to end the season losing to 3 terrible teams out of the 4 and the one game we won our D scored late in the game to give us the win against another bad team.

Best Jets QB over this period? Isn't that like being the fattest bulimic?

I love how Sanchez gets credit for the playoff games that the D and RB's got them into

Passing stats should be taken with a grain of salt. There should be separate stats for yds in the air for QB's and YAC for receivers. Do any exist? It would be interesting

7 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Best Jets QB over this period? Isn't that like being the fattest bulimic?

I love how Sanchez gets credit for the playoff games that the D and RB's got them into

Passing stats should be taken with a grain of salt. There should be separate stats for yds in the air for QB's and YAC for receivers. Do any exist? It would be interesting

he was our starter and he was vital to both runs.  He had up and down reg seasons in his time here but was outstanding in postseason.  I get most fans love meaningless #s like Favre put up but the game is about winning and no Jet QB has won more in postseason.  Hopefully someday soon another QB has more playoff wins for us and gets us to the SB but until then he has the record.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was our starter and he was vital to both runs.  He had up and down reg seasons in his time here but was outstanding in postseason.  I get most fans love meaningless #s like Favre put up but the game is about winning and no Jet QB has won more in postseason.  Hopefully someday soon another QB has more playoff wins for us and gets us to the SB but until then he has the record.

Interesting how different folks see the same thing differently. I always felt that the QB rarely wins games and that football is truly a team game. 

He never threw for more than 200 yds in any playoff win but he did mostly protect the ball and had a good completion pct. in the playoffs. I thought that this was because opponents played for the run in these games (shrug)

However, I always defer to you folks as being more knowledgeable about the game so I guess my distain for this fellow is unfounded. 

1 minute ago, The Crimson King said:

Interesting how different folks see the same thing differently. I always felt that the QB rarely wins games and that football is truly a team game. 

He never threw for more than 200 yds in any playoff win but he did mostly protect the ball and had a good completion pct. in the playoffs. I thought that this was because opponents played for the run in these games (shrug)

However, I always defer to you folks as being more knowledgeable about the game so I guess my distain for this fellow is unfounded. 

of course it is a team game but he played a vital role on that team. 

you do know you don't need to throw for 300 yds to win, right? many times the team that has more pass yds loses b/c it means they are trying to catch up and throwing more.  Peyton Manning in 2 SB winning runs had ONE 300 yd game among the 7 games needed to win those 2 SBs.  Sanchez had similar yardage #s to Rivers when we took the 10 pt lead and we stopped throwing.  would you have preferred we were down by 10 and he had to throw?  In that Cincy game he had a 50+ yd would be TD that Braylon dropped, his #s would have looked a lot better and again we took a big lead and stopped throwing.  would you have preferred to not have the big lead and keep throwing? at Indy 2010 he didn't have great #s but was outstanding in the 2nd half including leading a GW drive on the road getting the ball w/ under a min left and setting up a chip shot FG.  would you have preferred 300 yds and a loss? at NE he threw THREE TDs and after giving us a 10 pt lead in the 4th he never attempted another pass.  would you have preferred he kept throwing for fun?

48 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Kind of hard to gauge -- like, how do you compare one decent year with half a decade of up and down mediocrity? Because honestly the single best QB season we've had in that span is arguably Fitz of all people.

it's not b/c despite playing w/ the most talented offense and against what may have been the weakest schedule he came up short when it mattered most and we didn't even make the playoffs so all the #s for throwing the ball up for Marshall and Decker became meaningless. 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:10 PM, nyjunc said:

it's not b/c despite playing w/ the most talented offense and against what may have been the weakest schedule he came up short when it mattered most and we didn't even make the playoffs so all the #s for throwing the ball up for Marshall and Decker became meaningless. 

Regardless, it was the probably the best season a QB played for us during that span. Pennington 2002 (where he only started 11 games, I believe) is the only one that is realistically better.

On 11/22/2017 at 3:10 PM, nyjunc said:

So wait.....  I found the one post where you are going with facts, wins and losses and not on what you feel could have been???   It’s a miracle.   BTW.... I’m going to Raleigh tomorrow to see NC State UNC football. 

Archived