Are Jets Willing to Roll the Dice on Falcons Castoff Jalen Collins?

JetNation

IMG_5325.jpg

Just over a year ago, Jets GM Mike Maccagnan made a bold move in taking a gamble on a talented yet troubled player in tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, and the move looks to have paid off in a big way thus far.  Now we ask, will he take another gamble on the opposite side of the ball?

The Atlanta Falcons yesterday cut ties with cornerback Jalen Collins who was forced to sit out the season’s first ten games for his second violation of the league’s substance abuse policy in as many years.

In just his third pro season, the former second-round draft pick has apparently become too big of a headache for the Falcons to deal with.  Atlanta was the first team to take a gamble on Collins who reportedly failed multiple drug tests as a member of the LSU tigers where he played alongside current Jets defensive backs Jamal Adams and Rashard Robinson.

If the Jets feel a change of scenery and a few familiar faces will help keep Collins focused on football, his signing could be a coup.  Pro Football Focus had this to say about Collins after naming him one of the league’s most improved second-year players:

With star cornerback Desmond Trufant going down injured halfway through the 2016 season, it was left to Collins to step up as a starter for the Falcons’ playoff run. Despite not playing until Week 9, Collins finished the season ranked as the 25th CB in PFF grading. His 81.6 grade dramatically eclipsed an ugly rookie mark of 44.2, thanks to several notable big plays for the Falcons both down the stretch and throughout their playoff push. His nine pass breakups from Week 9 onwards were tied for second-most among all CBs, adding two interceptions into the mix, too. His forced fumble on Packers FB Aaron Ripkowski in the playoffs was one of the defining moments of the NFC Championship game.

Whether the Jets place a claim on Collins or they make a move if he clears waivers, they could soon have four former LSU tigers in their defensive backfield as Collins would be joining Adams and Robsinson along with veteran cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Given the lack of depth at the position and his low price tag, passing on Collins wouldn’t be an easy thing for Maccagnan to do.  He took a shot with Seferian-Jenkins, and he’d be crazy not to take one here too.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
ub7Em93QBog

Click here to read the full story...

One of the things that Macc loved about Adams was his character and leadership etc. He played with this kid, and I would guess knows him pretty well. Not that Adams would make the decision on whether or not to bring him in, but you would think it would have a pretty good amount of influence.

Draft profile.

alen Collins   CB   LSU

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1

STRENGTHS
Jalen has the talent to be an excellent cover corner. He has strong athletic skills and the quick twitch that you look for in a cover corner. He has very good speed and has the makeup burst and speed along with good length that gives him a big defensive radius when defending against those bigger receivers. Jalen likes the challenge of taking on the opponent’s best receiver. He has the ability to be a solid corner back in zone coverage and shows some leadership in his play on the field. Jalen will meet a sweep around his side of the field and will get physical enough to break through blocks attempting to disrupt the play or make a tackle. When he uses form tackling he is a secure tackler, but the best attribute that he brings to the field is his pride and effort he gives on the deep ball being thrown to his side. He never gives up on defending the deep ball, which makes him the type of corner with the potential to cover all types of receivers big or small. 

CONCERNS
Jalen is not consistent from game to game with his techniques both when tackling and defending against the pass. He has to become stronger in his upper body to become the shutdown corner his talents suggest that he can become for the next level. He also needs more repetitions and more experience playing smaller receivers, learning to use his size and length to gain more of an advantage on crossing routes and slants. Right now, he has a very bad habit of running across the field looking into the backfield and not staying up with the receiver thinking he can jump the route at any time. That’s not going to happen at the next level. He has to stay closer to the receiver crossing and read the receiver when the ball is coming, then make a play on the ball or limit the “after the catch” yardage. It’s a technique issue that can be corrected. 

BOTTOM LINE
Jalen must get stronger hands and in his upper body to deal with the physical receivers at the next level. The physical running backs that will run sweeps and screens at him knowing he is inconsistent and struggles against physical play will definitely challenge him. Until he gets bigger and stronger, it will be hard for him to start a 16 game schedule. Until that happens, this kid can impact on nickel/dime coverage and against the bigger pass catching tight ends on third down situations. Remember the draft is about projecting a player’s talent and although it is not likely that Jalen will be selected in the first round of this draft, that does not necessarily reflect his potential for the next level. Jalen hasn’t had the repetitions that a lot of other cornerbacks have had that will be taken ahead of him in this draft, but that does not mean they will be better. It just means they are safer players to select. As soon as he becomes stronger and more consistent I expect Jalen to become an impact cover corner because of his ability to defend against the deep ball. As he gains more strength and learns to tackle with more consistency, it’s possible that Jalen could become a cover safety; however, until then Jalen looks like he can become more than just a nickel/dime corner because he has the athletic talent, size, long arms and legs and the pride you need to be successful at the next level. So look on Rob’s board for the likely round Jalen will be selected in because that’s what the two board system is all about, finding talent in every round of the draft. 

Drew Boylhart
MAR/2015

My guess is Collins will clear waivers, as no team is going to want to take on a guaranteed contract for a guy with the number of issues he's already had in his short career.  But once he clears, I'm sure no one is going to offer him anything more than a short-term deal with little-to-no guaranteed money, in which case it would be worth at least looking into.  Collins will have no room to negotiate, given at this point he just needs to keep himself in the league.

48 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

My guess is Collins will clear waivers, as no team is going to want to take on a guaranteed contract for a guy with the number of issues he's already had in his short career.  But once he clears, I'm sure no one is going to offer him anything more than a short-term deal with little-to-no guaranteed money, in which case it would be worth at least looking into.  Collins will have no room to negotiate, given at this point he just needs to keep himself in the league.

agreed !.. if we can get him on " the cheap "... i'd take a chance. we need " help "  :unsure:   

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Before they take a chance on this guy, has the corner Macc traded for from the 49ers even played a down of defense for the team yet?

Yeah that is a real concern. I am not a power struggle guy in most cases. But if that kid doesn't play, that is pretty much the definition of a power struggle.

9 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah that is a real concern. I am not a power struggle guy in most cases. But if that kid doesn't play, that is pretty much the definition of a power struggle.

Max, not to sound like a broken record, but with no organizational power structure, this will always be the case. You can't have GM/Coach be on the same level and each one having their own secret door to the owner. Somebody has to have the last say. This whole thing sucks, and will never change until Woody cashes out. We are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. Stronger letter to follow.:D

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Before they take a chance on this guy, has the corner Macc traded for from the 49ers even played a down of defense for the team yet?

you know bowles started adams and maye even though he could've started miles and brooks. so it's not like he has issues with the players mac gets.  right now they are starting skrine and an injured claiborne.  collins could be good insurance if claiborne can't finish the season and bowles finally turns away from skrine.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Or maybe a kid the Jets just picked up doesn't know the defensive scheme yet and the coaching staff don't want to insert someone who won't know his assignment .

I wonder if there's a power struggle in San Fran since the QB the GM traded for hasn't played yet . 

You know, this place doesn't need to stir up garbage to have solid traffic flow . 

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Or maybe a kid the Jets just picked up doesn't know the defensive scheme yet and the coaching staff don't want to insert someone who won't know his assignment .

I wonder if there's a power struggle in San Fran since the QB the GM traded for hasn't played yet . 

You know, this place doesn't need to stir up garbage to have solid traffic flow . 

sorozatparok-akik-az-eletben-is-egyutt-j

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Now you sound like Cimini (See his column Sunday 11/19)..My guess, they just want to bring him along when they feel he's ready. He still has 2+ yrs on his contract so this was more of a long-term move. 

As for J Collins...Good observation/thought. He does fit the mold of what Bowles likes in his CBs. Tall, can play press. 

Claim him..Still under contract through 2018 season. Get a chance to look at him, see if he's turned it around.  If not, cut him..He'd be a nice to have but don't count on him. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/jalen-collins-16766/

Have to think teams like Seattle, Dallas, Raiders will claim him. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

you know bowles started adams and maye even though he could've started miles and brooks. so it's not like he has issues with the players mac gets.  right now they are starting skrine and an injured claiborne.  collins could be good insurance if claiborne can't finish the season and bowles finally turns away from skrine.

Adams and Maye were starting before Brooks was even acquired after they traded Pryor. Also, they acquired Brooks because Miles was hurt. Not sure what that has to do with the cornerbacks though. 

I saw a lot of Daryl Roberts last Jets game. I just don’t get why the guy they traded an asset for hasn’t seen the field yet when the corners on this team are beyond awful and banged up. 

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the point is the comment was about how bowles doesn't play the players that mac gets.  imo this is false.  he does and if they do pick up collins he should play.

I didn’t say that and you quoted me. All I said is let’s figure out the one CB they’ve already traded as asset first before the get another one. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I didn’t say that and you quoted me. All I said is let’s figure out the one CB they’ve already traded as asset first before the get another one. 

Maybe the one they got in the prior trade flat out sucks Jalen Collins is a decent CB we need decent CB's 

14 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Give me a break. We don't stir up garbage on our blog.

It is a valid question that was raised by CC. We discuss things in the forums. 

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

Now you sound like Cimini (See his column Sunday 11/19)..My guess, they just want to bring him along when they feel he's ready. He still has 2+ yrs on his contract so this was more of a long-term move. 

I can guarantee you that cimini and I have nothing in common.

All I said is it's a fair point to question why a guy they gave up a draft pick for hasn't played.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived