Manish Mehta very strongly claims Jets will not draft QB Lamar Jackson.

Jetsbb

13 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-mailbag-gang-green-views-louisville-qb-lamar-jackson-article-1.3648259

I have a better chance of being drafted to quarterback the 2018 Jets than Lamar Jackson.

Repeat after me: The Jets will NEVER draft Jackson to try to solve their quarterback quandary. It's not going to happen, folks.

The way the Jets see it (and I wholeheartedly agree), there will be plenty of college signal callers in the upcoming draft better equipped to find success at the next level. The Jets, like many other teams, frankly, don't believe that Jackson will thrive as an NFL quarterback.

Remember: College quarterback's stats aren't an indicator of pro success.

Here are the questions that matter:

1) Will the player's skill set translate at the next level?

2) How much capacity for growth is there with good coaching?

3) What kind of scheme will maximize the player's strengths?

4) Are you willing to run that scheme if you don't already do? If so, can you achieve sustainable success in that scheme?

Jackson deserves plenty of credit for his achievements at Louisville, but he's simply not in the same stratosphere as Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen as a pro prospect. So, don't waste your breath even discussing the possibility of Jackson being in the conversation for their first-round pick in the upcoming draft. He won't be.

The notion that the Jets would even consider Jackson in the second round is high comedy. Gang Green simply isn't going to invest a premium pick (first three rounds) on him. Period.

And you know what? They shouldn't, because it would be a wasted selection.

image.png

While Manish is steaming pile of turd, from what I've gathered from the tidbits @Mogglez had put on here, Maccagan doesn't seem all that interested in/high on Lamar Jackson. Therefore I really don't see us taking him.

That's why I've been only mentioned Mayfield as a fallback option if no Rosen or Darnold. Jackson is who I'd be happy with if no Rosen or Darnold, but I don't see the Jets taking him so it's a moot point

17 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Barringa  trade Josh Allen is gonna be the guy watch lol....  just a gut feeling . 

Depends on where the Jets draft and who's still available but early indications are he will be the guy. 

Since initially being viewed as the worst roster in the NFL this year, the New York Jetshave overcome much adversity. Gutting their roster this past spring included the release of multiple veterans this offseason obviously exposed New York’s rebuilding intentions. A new quarterback is expected to come out of this rebuild, and Mike Maccagnan reportedly “loves” Josh Allen from Wyoming.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Mike Maccagnan reportedly “loves” Josh Allen from Wyoming.

If this is true, Mac should be fired before the draft, hack draft deja vu, all the "measurables" but Allen is a Jr with less than 23 wins, under 60% completion rate, no big wins...

I'd take Jackson over Allen all day every day

30 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

If this is true, Mac should be fired before the draft, hack draft deja vu, all the "measurables" but Allen is a Jr with less than 23 wins, under 60% completion rate, no big wins...

Yeah if he took Allen it would cancel out every single good thing he has done and he should be shown the door. If he doesn’t at least take someone that “should” be good he needs to go (and I like Mac but that would be indefensible). 

Im not impressed with Darnold but haven’t watched any of the qbs enough to judge that hard. Rosen plays like a Jet (inconsistent, and the first UCLA game had jets all over it with playing like crap for three qrtrs and coming back in the fourth, so I think he could be a Jet)

9. New York Jets | Baker Mayfield | QB | Oklahoma

There’s still a glaring need for the Jets at the game’s most important position, but this year’s class should give them a chance to find a difference-maker. Mayfield may not have ideal size, but he’s a playmaker with the competitive fire and leadership qualities to be a special player at the next level.

6 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

I'm not in love with Jackson but I'd have to agree with this.........Allen is trash waiting to be collected and regretted for years to come.

9 hours ago, Drums said:

Yeah if he took Allen it would cancel out every single good thing he has done and he should be shown the door. If he doesn’t at least take someone that “should” be good he needs to go (and I like Mac but that would be indefensible). 

Im not impressed with Darnold but haven’t watched any of the qbs enough to judge that hard. Rosen plays like a Jet (inconsistent, and the first UCLA game had jets all over it with playing like crap for three qrtrs and coming back in the fourth, so I think he could be a Jet)

Mac cannot make this decision by himself.  The Jets need a "consultant" who has actually picked an NFL QB who has worked out.

On 22/11/2017 at 11:40 AM, Maxman said:

The only real requirements are you have to 1) Be able to work on Sundays 2) Travel to Florham Park during the week and 3) Not want to make a lot of money.

That's actually the Jets job description for qb... apart from the money business. 

LAMAR JACKSON NOT GETTING HIS DUE

It's uncommon for a returning Heisman Trophy winner to barely register a blip on the radar when it comes to discussions about the top prospects at his position, but that's the situation Lamar Jacksonseems to find himself in. Despite having a better season in 2017 than he did in his award-winning 2016 campaign, the Louisville standout is routinely cited as an afterthought in the vaunted potential 2018 quarterback class.

Why?

Why isn't there more love for a spectacular athlete with 114 total touchdowns (65 passing; 49 rushing scores) and gradually improving completion rates as a passer?

I place UCLA's Josh Rosen and USC's Sam Darnold in the top tier of college QBs, but after those two, Jackson deserves to be in the mix with QBs who seem to be receiving more buzz than Jackson, like Wyoming's Josh Allen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield.

When I've discussed Jackson with scouting colleagues, I've heard him described as a "wow" athlete with intriguing talent. An AFC scout told me that he is a "create-a-player" playmaker with a set of skills that are typically associated with five-star players in video games. On the other hand, I've had plenty of scouts tell me that Jackson is more of a thrower than a passer and his sub-60 percent completion rate (59.8 percent this season) reflects his struggles with accuracy and ball placement.

In a league where passers are coveted at a premium, it's hard to sell an athletic quarterback with a run-first game to scouts and coaches looking for a polished pocket passer. That's why I wanted to check back in with Jackson to see if he has made enough progress as a passer to warrant consideration as a potential franchise quarterback at the next level.

After studying the All-22 coaches' footage, I believe Jackson is an exceptional athlete with a combination of speed, explosiveness and burst that is hard to find in a quarterback.

The 6-foot-3, 211-pound junior is a dynamic runner with a slippery running style that makes him nearly impossible to corral in the pocket. He excels on designed runs (QB draws, sweeps and zone-read plays) and is a defensive coordinator's nightmare as an improvisational playmaker. Jackson's average of 6.8 yards per carry this season is nearly a yard better than his average from his Heisman campaign. He has posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a runner while scoring 28 rushing touchdowns.

Skeptics worry about his frame, but he is noticeably bigger and thicker than a season ago. That's helped him become a more physical and effective runner on the perimeter.

As a passer, Jackson displays outstanding arm strength and range. He can push the ball down the field as an effective vertical passer on post and go routes. Although he struggles a bit with his ball placement and accuracy on home-run balls due to his shoddy footwork and fundamentals, Jackson has the capacity to strike up the band as a long-ball tosser.

On short and intermediate throws, his struggles with inconsistency are also due to his unpolished mechanics. Jackson misses the mark on outside throws, particularly comebacks and deep outs beyond 12-15 yards. He frequently misses high and wide on those throws, which is largely due to his failure to properly step into his passes.

Jackson is at his best when throwing isolation routes (seams and skinny posts) or simple reads (slants-flats; stick-go and curl-flat). Offensive coordinators will feature those concepts prominently in spread offenses, but NFL coordinators typically opt for full-field reads or pure progression concepts that require the quarterback to tie his eyes to his feet in the pocket. Thus, Jackson still has a ways to go as a passer before convincing traditional play callers that he can fill the role as a high-end QB1.

That doesn't mean that Jackson shouldn't be considered a top prospect at his position. We've seen more NFL teams implement spread systems with simplistic reads if the quarterback flashes exceptional playmaking ability as a dual-threat (see Deshaun Watson, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson). With that in mind, it wouldn't surprise me to see a team place a solid grade on Jackson that reflects his potential to be a franchise QB. -- Bucky Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000881193/article/mts-notes-biggest-nfl-draft-risers-scouting-lamar-jackson

3 hours ago, varjet said:

Mac cannot make this decision by himself.  The Jets need a "consultant" who has actually picked an NFL QB who has worked out.

How many of those exist and are unemployed? Even so, it seems those that have, only pick one anyway; never seem to find another. I think it might really just be luck when it really comes down to it. 

On 11/22/2017 at 11:44 PM, King P said:

While Manish is steaming pile of turd, from what I've gathered from the tidbits @Mogglez had put on here, Maccagan doesn't seem all that interested in/high on Lamar Jackson. Therefore I really don't see us taking him.

That's why I've been only mentioned Mayfield as a fallback option if no Rosen or Darnold. Jackson is who I'd be happy with if no Rosen or Darnold, but I don't see the Jets taking him so it's a moot point

Sorry I'm responding late.  Spent some quality time with the family this whole week.

The last I had heard was that Lamar has drawn a lot more eyes towards himself.  I wouldn't actually rule it out this early in the process.  I'm not ready to say that he's 110% the guy if all the top 2 are unattainable, I still think that would be Mayfield, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.  

The only guy I think you could safely cross off in the 1st right now is Mason Rudolph.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:39 AM, section314 said:

Yeah, they're must see T.V.:mellow:

Yeah, you're a clown because Jackson was throwing dimes all over the field yesterday and is heralded as a first round pick QB. Just because he's black and fast doesn't mean you have to box him into a certain criteria. Jackson will be a QB in the NFL and I'd bet my account on it.

8 hours ago, Mecca said:

Yeah, you're a clown because Jackson was throwing dimes all over the field yesterday and is heralded as a first round pick QB. Just because he's black and fast doesn't mean you have to box him into a certain criteria. Jackson will be a QB in the NFL and I'd bet my account on it.

I wasn't referring to the player, I was referring to the team. Nobody gives a sh*t about Louisville football. Wake up.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I wasn't referring to the player, I was referring to the team. Nobody gives a sh*t about Louisville football. Wake up.

Uh, when one of the most exciting players in the country in a race for his 2nd Heisman is the QB people do.

Archived