Cousins should be the target

Jetster

I'll say it again. Front loaded contract & Saquan Barkley in the 1st. Jets just need to figure out their center position on the Oline. It's time to help this defense out with some explosive offense. 

Re-up ASJ, the 2 young WRs in their 2nd year, Kearse, Anderson, Leggette? With a great running game, (Barkley, Powell, McGuire) and Kirk Cousins spreading the ball around the Jets can turn around their fortunes in one offseason with 3 picks in the top 100. 

Heres what Kirk Cousins is doing with injuries surrounding him on the Oline, at RB, TE (Reed has been hurt all year), and he's still keeping them in every game & has actually improved:

Cousins is on pace to become the second quarterback in NFL history to start 10 or more games in a season with a 100-plus passer rating and a losing record. Welcome to what's been Drew Brees' world the last couple of years.

Jet fans that don't want Cousins haven't been paying attention to his play under tough circumstances.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

i would be ok with signing Cousins, but I can't see investing first rounder in a RB unless you have the O-line to get the most out of it as the Cowboys did last year.

Look at those same Cowboys with and without Elliot.  I'd say the impact a great RB can make is pretty much on display right now.

I'll what your saying but rather than a RB in round 1 I'd rather Chubb, guy is a beast as a Pass Rusher. There's no reason to believe Cousins won't be playing at an elite level for 5 more seasons and an above average level for an additional 3. I'd sign up for that all day, if we can't sign him then by all means go for a QB in the draft.

I would be okay with it but coming from people that watch him, he does well against bad teams and seems pedestrian against good teams. That worries me. I do understand what he is working with this year and we would finally have a legit qb so I think we should sign him because what the hell else are we gonna do?

I would still like to draft a qb but if we sign him and there is a strong offensive weapon sitting there when we pick, I think you gotta go get the weapon. I cant name the last time we had something on offense that people had to gameplan against. 

Barkley has a whopping 4 games with over 100 yards rushing this season. There isn't a more overrated player in college football. We need to find a way to get one of the top 3 QBs in this next draft instead of paying 30 million per season for Cousins who hasn't won a big game in his career.

Cousins isn't worth the huge contract he's going to get. Either way it's a moot point because getting Cousins is not a realistic possibility. Cousins is either going to...

A) Get tagged by Washington

B) Walk and get big money by another team with more money (most likely the Niners or Browns). I don't see us winning a bidding war for Kirk

In his NFL career, according to Pro Football Reference, Kirk Cousins has a grand total of 0 TD passes in the last 2 minutes of a game his team is trailing. 

If I am going to give a guy $25MM+ per season, it has to be a guy who has demonstrated the ability to elevate his level of play late when the game is on the line.  A guy who can carry his team to victory.  I have not seen that from Cousins.  I like the guy, he is a solid QB, better than anything we have had for the last decade, but for the kind of money he is likely to get, I would prefer to let him go elsewhere and look to the draft.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

In his NFL career, according to Pro Football Reference, Kirk Cousins has a grand total of 0 TD passes in the last 2 minutes of a game his team is trailing. 

If I am going to give a guy $25MM+ per season, it has to be a guy who has demonstrated the ability to elevate his level of play late when the game is on the line.  A guy who can carry his team to victory.  I have not seen that from Cousins.  I like the guy, he is a solid QB, better than anything we have had for the last decade, but for the kind of money he is likely to get, I would prefer to let him go elsewhere and look to the draft.

Kinda wish the draft was before free agency. So if we missed out. Then go all out for Cousins or whoever. Either way, Cousins is worth it. Is he Elite, no, but a quality QB is a commodity and you’re gonna have to over pay or else you end up with the Mccowns. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I'll say it again. Front loaded contract & Saquan Barkley in the 1st. Jets just need to figure out their center position on the Oline. It's time to help this defense out with some explosive offense. 

Re-up ASJ, the 2 young WRs in their 2nd year, Kearse, Anderson, Leggette? With a great running game, (Barkley, Powell, McGuire) and Kirk Cousins spreading the ball around the Jets can turn around their fortunes in one offseason with 3 picks in the top 100. 

Heres what Kirk Cousins is doing with injuries surrounding him on the Oline, at RB, TE (Reed has been hurt all year), and he's still keeping them in every game & has actually improved:

Cousins is on pace to become the second quarterback in NFL history to start 10 or more games in a season with a 100-plus passer rating and a losing record. Welcome to what's been Drew Brees' world the last couple of years.

Jet fans that don't want Cousins haven't been paying attention to his play under tough circumstances.

I’m fine with Cousins.

At $15-18 million a year for no more than 3 years and with a high round QB drafted as well.

1 hour ago, August said:

I think Washington keeps Cousins. They'll just structure the deal so they can get out of it if necessary. 

Not happening at this point in the game. If they offer a sh*t deal he will balk again and they will pay a kings ransom if they franchise him for the third time. He (and his agent) are totally in control here. He owes them nothing.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-heres-what-it-will-cost-redskins-to-get-kirk-cousins-deal-done/

"Cousins didn't seem worried about his contract when questioned over the weekend at his annual football camp in his hometown of Holland, Michigan. That's for good reason. Cousins will be playing for a fully guaranteed $23,943,600 this season if a long-term deal isn't signed. He would become an unrestricted free agent in 2018 unless given a transition tag for $28,732,320 or a third and final franchise tag worth $34,478,784, which Redskins president Bruce Allen recently indicated was a possibility despite the exorbitant cost. A transition tag would only provide the Redskins a right to match an offer sheet. The third franchise tag would prevent Cousins from soliciting an offer sheet from other NFL teams."

I am not a big fan of Cousins. He seems like a competent but not particularly clutch QB

Plus after consecutive franchise tags he will cost a fortune, and greater than his value.

Despite his continuously improving play, Zimmer just seems to be searching for a reason to put Bridgewater back in. and bench Kennum. I think he is at least as good as Cousins, has shown he can provide clutch play and will be one third the price of Cousins.

Not a fan of the FA approach fro QB, but if we are going to do it, I would target Keenum. He is outplaying Cousins anyway and seems like the player that never gets respect unlike stiffs and compilers like Bradford, McClow and Fitzloser that always seem to be way overvalued

Keenum. HARD pass on Cousins

14 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Not happening at this point in the game. If they offer a sh*t deal he will balk again and they will pay a kings ransom if they franchise him for the third time. He (and his agent) are totally in control here. He owes them nothing.

Completely agree, Cousins gambled on himself by not signing the deals they've presented him and has all the leverage after this year. He'll get $28-34M on a tag from Washington next year of he'll get 6 years $140M from another team. Whichever team signs him will heavily front load his deal so it doesn't hurt them in the long run.

I do wonder if the NFL losing money/sponsorships will effect the salary cap. I'm not sure who decides the salary cap but if they players start losing money because of the kneeling I'd have to imagine everyone will be standing the following year. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I am not a big fan of Cousins. He seems like a competent but not particularly clutch QB

Plus after consecutive franchise tags he will cost a fortune, and greater than his value.

Despite his continuously improving play, Zimmer just seems to be searching for a reason to put Bridgewater back in. and bench Kennum. I think he is at least as good as Cousins, has shown he can provide clutch play and will be one third the price of Cousins.

Not a fan of the FA approach fro QB, but if we are going to do it, I would target Keenum. He is outplaying Cousins anyway and seems like the player that never gets respect unlike stiffs and compilers like Bradford, McClow and Fitzloser that always seem to be way overvalued

If I had to rank what I'd prefer:

Cousins on a heavily front loaded contract

McCown + QB that falls to us

McCown + trade up for QB

Keenum + QB that falls to us

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Redskins O line is sh*t. Vikings are solid. Not even close.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Thats a scary stat :(

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Thats a scary stat :(

Agreed!

def one of those " give us more info " facts before making a mega-offer.

how many times has he been in those situations?

how many rushing TD's has he & his RB's had ?

how many int's ?

lets see the arc over each year to determine how his performance is moving (better, worse, same) over other years

15 hours ago, King P said:

Cousins isn't worth the huge contract he's going to get. Either way it's a moot point because getting Cousins is not a realistic possibility. Cousins is either going to...

A) Get tagged by Washington

B) Walk and get big money by another team with more money (most likely the Niners or Browns). I don't see us winning a bidding war for Kirk

WAS may tag him but unlikely at $30M+.  If they can't sign him, I think they cut bait this year.

Oh and no team will likely have more cap money than the Jets next spring. We're #2 at the moment (behind IND) and we have a lot more coming.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

I’m fine with Cousins.

At $15-18 million a year for no more than 3 years and with a high round QB drafted as well.

It’s going to be awesome watching Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan engage in a public bidding war with each other for Kirk Cousins. 

in on cousins if we cant draft in the top 3

i would not buy high on RB's in this draft, there is an overreaction to RB's the last few years just like their was one few years before when they basically couldnt get drafted in the top 20. There are a ton of talented runners in college. Stay true to the cornerstones of team building....they do not change...QB, LT, Pass Rushing DE, CB.

I go by the eye test, f*ck all these other stats. With redzone, prime times games, a couple weekend games I've watched Cousins because of our situation & the idea that he just might be available (small chance but the circumstances are all in his favor). 

Cousins has been balling out! I've seen him make throws where he's hung in there & got rocked and still completed the pass. I've seen him audible & burn a blitz, he can run just enough, you can tell he's very confident in the pocket. He's really played with no TE & a bevy of different backs. His Oline has been decimated with injuries. 

I have no idea what other Jet fans are watching? Ok, I agree you can probably get a stud RB with 1 of the #2s we have, so sure go after a pass rusher, LT, BPA at those positions but I crack up when people bring up money? Who cares, it's not your money! If the Jets have 90 million in cap space, they could easily front load a contract that allows us in year 2/3 to have plenty of cap space. If Enunwa comes back we have plenty of weapons if we draft a stud RB in round 2 or 3. Stud RB, Powell, McGuire. Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson, Stewart, Hanson, ASJ, Leggette. It's amazing how much better a real QB can make the offensive skill players around them look better. Cousins alone would increase all of those guys productions by a good percentage! He would also sharpen their focus because he WILL GET THEM THE BALL! Unlike McCown who goes through 2 checks, one, than dumpoff. QBs can make you look like a fool if your not honed in 100%. 

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

I would not mind Cousins as our QB.  That said, and assuming he can return to play before getting that catastrophic injury, I am really interested in acquiring Bridgewater.  Especially if the Vikes are sold on Keenum, he might be available.

Teddy Bridgewater before the injury maybe, time will tell if he's able to return 100%.  

The Vikings have 3 decent QB's on their roster Kennum,Bridgewater,Baradford us not so much. 

Archived