College Gameday Thread

Lith

Rivalry weekend got off to a great start yesterday with Pitt over Miami.  UCF v USF was a classic.  Josh Rosen looked real good before being pulled at the half.

Lets see what today will bring.

UGA - GA Tech & OSU - Mich getting ready to kick off today's action.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

us loser canucks didn't have the day off yesterday. I got to watch the Pitt/Miami game last night though -- that's a rivalry? 

Pickett is the truth. He's next Rosen one. 

You need a job where you can work from home.  I don't get the day after Thanksgiving off, so I "worked from home" yesterday.  Early afternoon, when I saw Pitt up on Miami at the half, I figured I put in a good days work, and it was time to watch some football.  With that game followed by the matchup in Orlando - was not a very productive afternoon for me.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

You need a job where you can work from home.  I don't get the day after Thanksgiving off, so I "worked from home" yesterday.  Early afternoon, when I saw Pitt up on Miami at the half, I figured I put in a good days work, and it was time to watch some football.  With that game followed by the matchup in Orlando - was not a very productive afternoon for me.

Truthfully, i've worked from home/taken the day off on thanksgiving (us) for most of the last decade or so. I enjoyed watching the Cowboys getting fisted this year. I don't know why ours is in October.

This afternoon will be the first 'Bama game i've committed to watching this year, followed by one of Falk's last chances to regain some respect

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Truthfully, i've worked from home/taken the day off on thanksgiving (us) for most of the last decade or so. I enjoyed watching the Cowboys getting fisted this year. I don't know why ours is in October.

This afternoon will be the first 'Bama game i've committed to watching this year, followed by one of Falk's last chances to regain some respect

Looking forward to those 2 later today.  Plus Stanford - ND is a good one to scout RBs. 

For now, I am just sweating out this UGA-GaTech game.  I hate playing those guys and the damn triple option.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Baker to me seems more pro ready

Maybe but what Jackson brings to an offense is special. He is an ascending talent. What he was able to do today to keep drives alive was unreal along with his accuracy. 1 dropped TD, 1 called back on a penalty, both were great plays on top of the throws he made. 

Call me crazy, if the Jets had the #1 pick, I would begging for Jackson

Just now, RESNewYork said:

Maybe but what Jackson brings to an offense is special. He is an ascending talent. What he was able to do today to keep drives alive was unreal along with his accuracy. 1 dropped TD, 1 called back on a penalty, both were great plays on top of the throws he made. 

He's become a better passer for sure. I just dont think this fanbase will be patient

1 minute ago, RESNewYork said:

Haven't watched much of Jackson this season, but my concern with him has been his accuracy when throwing intermediate routes.  Great athlete, throws a really nice deep ball and will make several highlight reel type plays each game.  If he has improved his midrange accuracy, then I would not mind taking a shot at him. 

Now that the regular season is winding down in the next week, it is time to start watching some tape on guys like Jackson that I have not seen much of this year.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Haven't watched much of Jackson this season, but my concern with him has been his accuracy when throwing intermediate routes.  Great athlete, throws a really nice deep ball and will make several highlight reel type plays each game.  If he has improved his midrange accuracy, then I would not mind taking a shot at him. 

Now that the regular season is winding down in the next week, it is time to start watching some tape on guys like Jackson that I have not seen much of this year.

I've watched about half his games and I get the accuracy issues but I believe Louisville is a leader in dropped passes and Lamar is up to 60% completion this year which is up from 56% last season. He's 20, his tools special, which he can use while he develops his passing game. No off field issues.

44 minutes ago, Lith said:

Me neither Lamar Jackson looks intriguing. 

5 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

If Darnold and Allen are off the table when the Jets pick, I can't see any reason why Baker would be taken instead of Lamar. 

Jackson is a 20 year old ascending player with unlimited talent.

I think you can win with both. Each have areas of the game that are or near elite, but each have a couple of minor flaws -- and that's OK. You just gotta commit to the offense that maximizes their talent. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I've appreciated this year in college. Lots of exciting football was played, and lots of seemingly invincible teams had another's will imposed on them. This has been fun sports to watch. 

Yup.  Its been a fun season -- very unpredictable heading into the playoffs.  UGA - Auburn for one spot.  Clemson - Miami for another.  Oklahoma and Wisconsin win and they are in.  Clemson probably the favorite to win it all, but nobody is playing better than Auburn right now (if Kerryon Johnson is healthy).

Question is if either OU or Wisconsin lose, do you put Bama in ahead of a 2-loss conference Champion?  I wouldn't but I think the committee would.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I don't know why ours is in October.

Traditionally, Europe celebrated Thanksgiving in the months of October, so it was natural for the first European settlers to do so.  We actually celebrated Thanksgiving almost 50 years prior to the Plymouth Rock landing.

Then, later on we did celebrate in November.  After declaring Thanksgiving as a national holiday, November 6 was the day of celebration until 1957 when it was moved to October because it would always fall on the same week as Remembrance Day.

This has been a Canadian history moment.....back to football

Traditionally, Europe celebrated Thanksgiving in the months of October, so it was natural for the first European settlers to do so.  We actually celebrated Thanksgiving almost 50 years prior to the Plymouth Rock landing.
Then, later on we did celebrate in November.  After declaring Thanksgiving as a national holiday, November 6 was the day of celebration until 1957 when it was moved to October because it would always fall on the same week as Remembrance Day.
This has been a Canadian history moment.....back to football

Lol appreciate that actually. Been meaning to look that up, but I’m lazy. Somehow not making the time to look up information instantaneously is at risk of lethargy in 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question is if either OU or Wisconsin lose, do you put Bama in ahead of a 2-loss conference Champion?  I wouldn't but I think the committee would.

Absolutely. This college playoff seeding thing is still new enough to be malleable. Circumstances have put them on the outside looking in, but any window to make a case for them will be heard. They’re too good. They would level Wisconsin or Oklahoma imo.

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Absolutely. This college playoff seeding thing is still new enough to be malleable. Circumstances have put them on the outside looking in, but any window to make a case for them will be heard. They’re too good. They would level Wisconsin or Oklahoma imo.

The problem I have with putting them in is that you are rewarding them for losing their biggest game of the year. 

Every other team with a shot to get in the playoff has to go out and beat a good team next weekend.  Clemson has to beat Miami.  Wisconsin has to beat Ohio State.  Auburn has to beat UGA.  Oklahoma has to beat TCU.  All Bama has to do to get in is sit at home and hope Ohio State beats Wisconsin or TCU beats OU.  Had they won, they would have controlled their own destiny, but they still would have had to go out and beat a good Georgia team to get in.

19 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Sounds like Hue Jackson logic to me. It would be just like Cleveland to pick Jackson #1. In fact I am going to put money on it in Vegas if I can get some decent odds.

28 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Sounds like Hue Jackson logic to me. It would be just like Cleveland to pick Jackson #1. In fact I am going to put money on it in Vegas if I can get some decent odds.

I think there is a pretty good chance he goes number one. A lot of the Jackson criticisms remind me of the criticisms I heard about Cam Newton (who eventually went #1 overall) coming out. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

The problem I have with putting them in is that you are rewarding them for losing their biggest game of the year. 

Every other team with a shot to get in the playoff has to go out and beat a good team next weekend.  Clemson has to beat Miami.  Wisconsin has to beat Ohio State.  Auburn has to beat UGA.  Oklahoma has to beat TCU.  All Bama has to do to get in is sit at home and hope Ohio State beats Wisconsin or TCU beats OU.  Had they won, they would have controlled their own destiny, but they still would have had to go out and beat a good Georgia team to get in.

when you put it like that...

1 hour ago, Lith said:

While it’s not a rule, you should have to win your conference to get in.  If not, you could win the the championship and be the best team in the country but not the best team in your own division.  

Too bad that there is virtually no defense at all in college ball these days.  This is one reason I still have Darnold and rosen 1 and 2 you watch those games and these have to face adversity and decent defense often.  Tough to judge mayfield and jackson when 9 out of 10 games they face zero defense.

6 hours ago, Pcola said:

While it’s not a rule, you should have to win your conference to get in.  If not, you could win the the championship and be the best team in the country but not the best team in your own division.  

I agree.  Ideally, I would love to see an 8 team tourney with the 5 Power Conference Champs and 3 at large bids.  But if it is just going to be 4 teams, then win your conference to be eligible.  If you can't win your conference, you shouldn't play for the national championship.  But still, the current system is way better than what we used to have.

Archived