Cotchery Tribute...

southparkcpa

Went to NC State UNC and with the JETS playing Carolina thought a nice way to wear JETS gear would be to pay tribute to Cotch at the game.

Lots of fans were appreciative, very few recognized the Titan jersey. The pic of three is Cotch's cousin. He saw us, got somewhat emotional and took that pic and texted it to Cotch.

hh.jpg

unnamedgg.jpg

unnamed.jpg

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Went to NC State UNC and with the JETS playing Carolina thought a nice way to wear JETS gear would be to pay tribute to Cotch at the game.

Lots of fans were appreciative, very few recognized the Titan jersey. The pic of three is Cotch's cousin. He saw us, got somewhat emotional and took that pic and texted it to Cotch.

hh.jpg

unnamedgg.jpg

unnamed.jpg

nice tribute and Cotch cousin happenstance....

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Beginning of the end for the Rex regime was when cotch asked to be released 

Both the team and Cotchery would have been better off if he'd stuck around here for at least another season.

After a down season where he dropped about 10% of the passes thrown his way, and with the team offering only a lowball offer to bring back Edwards, and an inability to sign anyone until very late due to the lockout, Cotch felt the team still owed it to him to make him the starter. The offseason was muddied further that year with Tannenbaum poorly timing things so 3 Jets WRs (Holmes, Braylon, Smith) all hit FA at the same time the CBA expired. I'm sure it looked like a perfect scenario for Cotchery to get re-promoted back to the top-2. 

It sucks even worse that the 37 yr old receiver brought in to replace Cotchery in anticipation of granting his release - Mason - didn't have another season in him. Turns out he didn't even have a month left in him, and Baltimore couldn't have timed his release any better. Braylon went to San Fran on a $1m show-me deal and, whether due to a knee injury or otherwise (probably a combination), became an afterthought. Before Mason the team courted and signed a 34 year-old who just got released from prison. I can understand how he'd see that as a slap to the face; he's human.

Dissatisfied with his role and the situation, and still believing in his own abilities more than his team did, his request to move on was granted. Cotchery unfortunately found it wasn't just the Jets that weren't interested in him to be their starter, especially on Aug 5th and not quite yet on the field after back surgery (though he was apparently 95% healed and no one thought that'd be a problem). He took an offer to become the Steelers' #6 downfield receiving target at the veteran minimum ($1m less, and certainly with less playing time, than if he'd stayed with the Jets). It seems he was just too unhappy to stay here, and too much of a hit to his ego to be around the douchebags promoted over him, even if the playing opportunity elsewhere wasn't necessarily better.

Still he had a nice career, racking up some 7000 receving yards over a long, 12-season stretch that few 4th round picks enjoy. Had some productive seasons as an every-down starter, had an 1100-yard year once, made some good money, went to the playoffs for 3 different teams, saw action in over a dozen postseason games, and got to play in a superbowl before he retired (even though it was in a loss and not exactly a good game for him, I'm sure it was a great thrill just reaching it and being there). Jets fans will remember lots of his plays, including one of his last for us: that long RAC vs the Patriots with an injured back or groin or I can't remember, maybe it was both. With the Steelers caught the game-tying, 4th Q TD pass in what should have been a victory over Denver (the Tebow playoff game; as big a playoff blunder game for the 8-point favorite, 12-4 Steelers as the Jets have ever had). I'm sure there are lots of things that stand out for him looking back, and he should look back proudly.

It's ridiculous that this has to be noted as a positive for grown adults, but I may as well also include that he wasn't back page drama/embarrassment with us (unlike so many others). On camera he always seemed the perfect gentleman, and requesting a change of scenery before he hit age 30 here doesn't alter that in any way. The apparent reason the Panthers stuck with him instead of Steve Smith was the stark difference in their comparative willingnesses to help out younger receivers. It's therefore fitting and good to see he's caught on as an assistant coach with his last team to start out his next career, and hopefully it's also an indication all the hits over all those years (going back to HS ball) hasn't turned his head into mush like others.

As he's no longer catching passes for another team, I wish him well.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's ridiculous that this has to be noted as a positive for grown adults, but I may as well also include that he wasn't back page drama/embarrassment with us (unlike so many others). On camera he always seemed the perfect gentleman, and requesting a change of scenery before he hit age 30 here doesn't alter that in any way. The apparent reason the Panthers stuck with him instead of Steve Smith was the stark difference in their comparative willingnesses to help out younger receivers. It's therefore fitting and good to see he's caught on as an assistant coach with his last team to start out his next career, and hopefully it's also an indication all the hits over all those years (going back to HS ball) hasn't turned his head into mush like others.

The signs were there very early on. When Herm refused to play him (which he later expressed regret for), he never once bitched. Just put his head down and kept grinding. I grew up on Toon/Walker through Chrebet/Keyshawn, but Cotch and Coles will always be my favorite tandem from this franchise. Both had some crazy (and sad) personal stories and always found a cool way to translate that onto the field in some badass ways.

Cotch's New England catch is still the greatest catch I have ever seen. Not the greatest Jets catch, any catch. That sh*t defied physics.

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The signs were there very early on. When Herm refused to play him (which he later expressed regret for), he never once bitched. Just put his head down and kept grinding. I grew up on Toon/Walker through Chrebet/Keyshawn, but Cotch and Coles will always be my favorite tandem from this franchise. Both had some crazy (and sad) personal stories and always found a cool way to translate that onto the field in badass ways.

My memories of Cotch are  similar but I loved the era of Cotchery, Edwards and Holmes.   We had a talented receiver corps back then. 

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I found my throw back for $25 on eBay .  The GFs I bought many years ago new but I only wear a Namath so....  for this trip, I paid 25 for the used throw back. BEST $25 I ever spent. 

Just out of curiosity: What made you go to NCSt/UNC? Are you alum or were you just in the area?

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The signs were there very early on. When Herm refused to play him (which he later expressed regret for), he never once bitched. Just put his head down and kept grinding. I grew up on Toon/Walker through Chrebet/Keyshawn, but Cotch and Coles will always be my favorite tandem from this franchise. Both had some crazy (and sad) personal stories and always found a cool way to translate that onto the field in some badass ways.

Cotch's New England catch is still the greatest catch I have ever seen. Not the greatest Jets catch, any catch. That sh*t defied physics.

Great catch....wasn’t it also him who pulled is hammy mid stride and still caught a ball for a first down late in the fourth or overtime against the browns?

Both the team and Cotchery would have been better off if he'd stuck around here for at least another season.
After a down season where he dropped about 10% of the passes thrown his way, and with the team offering only a lowball offer to bring back Edwards, and an inability to sign anyone until very late due to the lockout, Cotch felt the team still owed it to him to make him the starter. The offseason was muddied further that year with Tannenbaum poorly timing things so 3 Jets WRs (Holmes, Braylon, Smith) all hit FA at the same time the CBA expired. I'm sure it looked like a perfect scenario for Cotchery to get re-promoted back to the top-2. 
It sucks even worse that the 37 yr old receiver brought in to replace Cotchery in anticipation of granting his release - Mason - didn't have another season in him. Turns out he didn't even have a month left in him, and Baltimore couldn't have timed his release any better. Braylon went to San Fran on a $1m show-me deal and, whether due to a knee injury or otherwise (probably a combination), became an afterthought. Before Mason the team courted and signed a 34 year-old who just got released from prison. I can understand how he'd see that as a slap to the face; he's human.
Dissatisfied with his role and the situation, and still believing in his own abilities more than his team did, his request to move on was granted. Cotchery unfortunately found it wasn't just the Jets that weren't interested in him to be their starter, especially on Aug 5th and not quite yet on the field after back surgery (though he was apparently 95% healed and no one thought that'd be a problem). He took an offer to become the Steelers' #6 downfield receiving target at the veteran minimum ($1m less, and certainly with less playing time, than if he'd stayed with the Jets). It seems he was just too unhappy to stay here, and too much of a hit to his ego to be around the douchebags promoted over him, even if the playing opportunity elsewhere wasn't necessarily better.
Still he had a nice career, racking up some 7000 receving yards over a long, 12-season stretch that few 4th round picks enjoy. Had some productive seasons as an every-down starter, had an 1100-yard year once, made some good money, went to the playoffs for 3 different teams, saw action in over a dozen postseason games, and got to play in a superbowl before he retired (even though it was in a loss and not exactly a good game for him, I'm sure it was a great thrill just reaching it and being there). Jets fans will remember lots of his plays, including one of his last for us: that long RAC vs the Patriots with an injured back or groin or I can't remember, maybe it was both. With the Steelers caught the game-tying, 4th Q TD pass in what should have been a victory over Denver (the Tebow playoff game; as big a playoff blunder game for the 8-point favorite, 12-4 Steelers as the Jets have ever had). I'm sure there are lots of things that stand out for him looking back, and he should look back proudly.
As he's no longer catching passes for another team, I wish him well.

Very good jet truly underrated. One of my guys

20 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Beginning of the end for the Rex regime was when cotch asked to be released 

that entire offseason after 2010 killed us.  exchanging Plax for Edwards then releasing Cotch(at his request) and getting Mason. 

Cotch is one of my all time favorite Jets, he got frustrated we kept acquiring new WRs to start over him.  On a perfect team he is a #3 WR so I understood what the Jets were doing but you could still win w/ him starting like we did in 2009.

8 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

Really made me start to question this messed up organization 

Cotch had asked I believe after they acquired Holmes a year earlier.  the team refused to let him go but they eventually honored his request.  It was a nice thing we did for him but I guess nice doesn't get you far in this league? 

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Cotch had asked I believe after they acquired Holmes a year earlier.  the team refused to let him go but they eventually honored his request.  It was a nice thing we did for him but I guess nice doesn't get you far in this league? 

Just hints yet again at the disfunctional mess that was going on behind the scenes 

Archived