CBS Sports Have Jets Drafting a Cornerback! LOL

JetBlue

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-hit-the-reset-button-at-qb-with-mason-rudolph/

12. New York Jets

Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama. Todd Bowles will lean toward adding another youthful member to his secondary. Like James, Fitzpatrick is a long, versatile defensive back. He can play cornerback or safety and would be the Jets' No. 1 boundary cornerback right away. 

If this is to be believed, I tell ya, it just gets better and better....  

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Just because most of the fans think we are drafting a first round qb this season doesn't mean it will happen. If we miss out on the better two or three guys we might be better off taking the best corner in the draft than reaching for a qb.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I get your point, I just think one of Lamar Jackson, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield or Rudolph will be available when we pick and that corner better be the second coming of Deon Sanders if we pass on one of those quarterbacks. 

33 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Not a chance. The jets are drafting either a QB, a LT or an Edge Rusher . One of the 3 premium positions is going to get filled in the 1st round come April .  Might be 2 if we an steal a Free agent QB  with 1 of our 2nd round picks .

We are going to use one of our 2nd rounders on a free agent QB?  I wouldn't put it past them. 

15 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I have 2 in mind, the Kid backing up in Cincy and the kid now starting for the Colts .

Ah.  I see what you meant.  Brissett isn't a FA until 2020, but McCarron is restricted.  I guess that means he'll be tendered and we could work out a deal. FWIW, he filed a grievance stating that he should be a UFA, but I don't know if it has been resolved. 

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ah.  I see what you meant.  Brissett isn't a FA until 2020, but McCarron is restricted.  I guess that means he'll be tendered and we could work out a deal. FWIW, he filed a grievance stating that he should be a UFA, but I don't know if it has been resolved. 

McCarron is not worth a second round pick which would be his tender

Now his wife on the other hand

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I know it wasn't the point of your post, but...

Press expects a 1st round tender.  The Browns already offered a 2nd and 3rd at the deadline and were late getting the paperwork in. 

Well that’s the Browns they made that offer in haste because the niners got Garropolo for less than what they offered the Cheaters

McCarron is a glorified Fitzpatrick

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Well that’s the Browns they made that offer in haste because the niners got Garropolo for less than what they offered the Cheaters

McCarron is a glorified Fitzpatrick

None of this is really relevant to the conversation.  What has happened to make the Browns not want McCarron?  Are they satisfied with Kizer?  If the Bengals were offered a 2nd and 3rd they will probably high tender him and try to deal.  

It is relevant to whether we should trade for him, but that is another matter. 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

None of this is really relevant to the conversation.  What has happened to make the Browns not want McCarron?  Are they satisfied with Kizer?  If the Bengals were offered a 2nd and 3rd they will probably high tender him and try to deal.  

It is relevant to whether we should trade for him, but that is another matter. 

McCarron’s tender will be a second round pick.  I don’t think he’s that good.  His arm strength is below average like I said he’s Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0 unless you think the Browns have suddenly mastered evaluating the qb position 

On 11/27/2017 at 4:23 PM, JetBlue said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-broncos-hit-the-reset-button-at-qb-with-mason-rudolph/

12. New York Jets

Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama. Todd Bowles will lean toward adding another youthful member to his secondary. Like James, Fitzpatrick is a long, versatile defensive back. He can play cornerback or safety and would be the Jets' No. 1 boundary cornerback right away. 

If this is to be believed, I tell ya, it just gets better and better....  

This is not a joke thou it will come off as one IMO Minkah will make a great NFL Safety, CB no thanks so the Jets would need to deploy 3 Saftey base D sweet right up Bowles alley.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:05 PM, Philc1 said:

McCarron’s tender will be a second round pick.  I don’t think he’s that good.  His arm strength is below average like I said he’s Ryan Fitzpatrick 2.0 unless you think the Browns have suddenly mastered evaluating the qb position 

The Browns mastering evaluating the QB position is not the point.  The point is that they supposedly offered a 2nd and a 3rd for him.  Maybe his price will go down, but I doubt it.  There is no shortage of stupid front offices.

FWIW, the 2017 1st round tender was $3.91M.  I can see no reason to try to save a million by offering him the 2nd round $2.76M.  That is less than Ryan Fitzpatrick 1.0 got and he was 35, coming off a disaster of a season and doesn't know the offense. It isn't like the franchise tag where it correlates to position.  Is there a world where A.J. McCarron is not worth more than Wesley Johnson?  Having him locked up for a year at $2M less than Josh McCown makes him more attractive IMO.

Has there been any news about his grievance?

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Browns mastering evaluating the QB position is not the point.  The point is that they supposedly offered a 2nd and a 3rd for him.  Maybe his price will go down, but I doubt it.  There is not shortage of stupid front offices.

FWIW, the 2017 1st round tender was $3.91M.  I can see no reason to try to save a million by offering him the 2nd round $2.76M.  That is less than Ryan Fitzpatrick 1.0 got and he is 35, coming off a disaster of a season and doesn't know the offense. It isn't like the franchise tag where it correlates to position.  Is there a world where A.J. McCarron is not worth more than Wesley Johnson?  Having him locked up for a year at $2M less than Josh McCown makes him more attractive IMO.

Has there been any news about his grievance?

My problem is not with the money it’s giving up a second round pick for a not good qb

But then again Mac wastes second round picks like it’s going out of style so who cares

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

My problem is not with the money it’s giving up a second round pick for a not good qb

But then again Mac wastes second round picks like it’s going out of style so who cares

No, your problem is that we are talking about different things.  You are talking about whether the Jets should make the move.  I was primarily responding to your stating his "tender will be a second round pick." I don't agree. 

Whether he is worth it for the Jets to make a move or not is another matter.  I would rather give up the 2nd for his chicken arm (and save $2M-$8M in the process) than deal with another season of old journeyman, but he is pretty far down my list. 

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

No, your problem is that we are talking about different things.  You are talking about whether the Jets should make the move.  I was primarily responding to your stating his "tender will be a second round pick." I don't agree. 

Whether he is worth it for the Jets to make a move or not is another matter.  I would rather give up the 2nd for his chicken arm (and save $2M-$8M in the process) than deal with another season of old journeyman, but he is pretty far down my list. 

The bengals can determine McCarron’s tender.  No one is giving up a first round pick for him especially not in this draft and Garropolo set the market and is better than McCarron and he didn’t get the Pats a first round pick

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The bengals can determine McCarron’s tender.  No one is giving up a first round pick for him especially not in this draft and Garropolo set the market and is better than McCarron and he didn’t get the Pats a first round pick

I agree the Bengals can determine McCarron's tender.  I disagree that they will not tender him as a first.  I don't think you get it.  Tendering him at a first doesn't mean you can't trade him for less.  Garoppolo didn't set sh*t.  Who is better isn't really the point.  Garoppolo had a half a season left before becoming a UFA, don't you think that plays into the deal?  

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree the Bengals can determine McCarron's tender.  I disagree that they will not tender him as a first.  I don't think you get it.  Tendering him at a first doesn't mean you can't trade him for less.  Garoppolo didn't set sh*t.  Who is better isn't really the point.  Garoppolo had a half a season left before becoming a UFA, don't you think that plays into the deal?  

Even if they tender him as a first nobody is offering a first round pick for McCarron

The sad truth is that even with all of the resources spent on the secondary over the past few years, CB is still a huge need for this team.  Claiborne will be FA and struggles to stay on the field.  Skrine likely won't be back (thankfully).  What are we left with: Burris, Roberts, Robinson, Clark, Jones, Coleman..

That said, I think I am going to lose my sh!t if we take a CB in the first, or any other defensive player except maybe an edge rusher.  It is time to add some young talent on the other side of the ball, especially under center.  CB can be addressed in free agency.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:46 AM, Philc1 said:

Even if they tender him as a first nobody is offering a first round pick for McCarron

I'd have to imagine the Browns would still be offering a 2nd + another pick (could still be a 3rd) for him so why would the Bengals tag him with a 2nd round tender?? That literally makes zero sense. The only negative with a first round tender is the $1M difference. Who knows a team like Pittsburgh who has a late 1st could be willing to roll the dice if Big Ben retires. POTENTIALLY getting more than a 2nd round pick is worth the $1M IMO. @#27TheDominator is 100% correct.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2017 at 9:36 AM, bla bla bla said:

I'd have to imagine the Browns would still be offering a 2nd + another pick (could still be a 3rd) for him so why would the Bengals tag him with a 2nd round tender?? That literally makes zero sense. The only negative with a first round tender is the $1M difference. Who knows a team like Pittsburgh who has a late 1st could be willing to roll the dice if Big Ben retires. POTENTIALLY getting more than a 2nd round pick is worth the $1M IMO. @#27TheDominator is 100% correct.

Why would the browns offer all that to get McCarron when they have the #1 pick overall?

The Steelers have never shown interest in McCarron and both franchises hate eachother

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Why would the browns offer all that to get McCarron when they have the #1 pick overall?

The Steelers have never shown interest in McCarron and both franchises hate eachother

It doesn't have to be the steelers, I just used them as a potential late round team that could give up more than a 2nd.

I'm also not saying the Browns will offer what they did at the deadline because the circumstances are far different now but that's not to say another team won't offer a 2nd and a 7th. I think there would be a lot of teams okay giving up just a second for a cheap year with McCarron before they decide to trade up for a QB so why not tag him with a 1st round tender and if your best deal on the table is a 2nd then take that?

do you think the extra $1M is worth the gamble of potentially getting more and in the worse case scenario taking just a 2nd anyway?

Archived