Why Maccagnan must cut McCown.

DoubleU

Under the Jets organizational structure,  Mike Mccagnan decides who is on the final roster but Todd Bowles decides who plays.   if Mccagnan cuts McCown,  Bowles will have no choice but to play either Petty or Hackenberg.   No need to have Bowles eek out another one or two wins with McCown so he can pad his resume.  Let's find out over the next few weeks if either Petty or Hackenberg shows enough to be retained or even start next season before we start another journey to find a starting QB.

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t think Maccagnan wants Petty or Hackenberg on the field any more than Bowles does.

Yep.  I was just about to say, I'm pretty sure if this happened that the egg would be on Mac's face, not Bowles.  

And what a way to form a strong working relationship.  

I don't believe that anything we see in the coming weeks, from any QB on our roster, should influence what we do in the off season. A few good games by Petty / Hack / McCown has no bearing on the fact that we need to strengthen our QB position above all else.

If either Mac or Bowles suggest otherwise based on the next 5 games then I will have no issue id either / both are fired at year end.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I don't believe that anything we see in the coming weeks, from any QB on our roster, should influence what we do in the off season. A few good games by Petty / Hack / McCown has no bearing on the fact that we need to strengthen our QB position above all else.

If either Mac or Bowles suggest otherwise based on the next 5 games then I will have no issue id either / both are fired at year end.

I think Todd Bowles honestly feels that if he can be the Head Coach who got a full season out of Josh McCown, that this was a successful year because it's never been done before.  That and it means more to him to see Josh start all 16 games than anything else.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I think Todd Bowles honestly feels that if he can be the Head Coach who got a full season out of Josh McCown, that this was a successful year because it's never been done before.  That and it means more to him to see Josh start all 16 games than anything else.

We will have a losing season; how is that a successful season?? :(   

McCown will have accomplished exactly what he has his entire career, that is, consistently having one of the worst starting records in the NFL over the last twenty years.  

1 hour ago, DoubleU said:

Under the Jets organizational structure,  Mike Mccagnan decides who is on the final roster but Todd Bowles decides who plays.   if Mccagnan cuts McCown,  Bowles will have no choice but to play either Petty or Hackenberg.   No need to have Bowles eek out another one or two wins with McCown so he can pad his resume.  Let's find out over the next few weeks if either Petty or Hackenberg shows enough to be retained or even start next season before we start another journey to find a starting QB.

Cut the 11th best QB the Jets ever had on a run to a last minute Wild Card bid? You people are insane. 

// Pac’d

We will have a losing season; how is that a successful season??    
McCown will have accomplished exactly what he has his entire career, that is, consistently having one of the worst starting records in the NFL over the last twenty years.  

This has been the best season of his career...he has mostly played very good football this season. He isn't our future but he isn't to blame for our losing record either.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t think Maccagnan wants Petty or Hackenberg on the field any more than Bowles does.

Hack is the toothless townie chick with  chronic halitosis that Macc banged on a bender who just won’t go away. He can’t stand to even see the kid in a uniform on Sunday. 

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Cut the 11th best QB the Jets ever had on a run to a last minute Wild Card bid? You people are insane. 

// Pac’d

You josh (get it) but this is absurd.

I keep hearing how Bowles wants to eek out 1 or 2 more wins to save his job...  as if ownership is incapable of taking into account the big picture and is strictly going by a 6 win, or whatever random # of wins people think it will take to save his job.  Chris Johnson has repeated time and again he's going by the overall improvement and effort of the team but I guess no one believes him.

There's a difference between the Jets going 6-10 and the Raiders, Bengals, or Dolphins going 6-10.  

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Bingo.

While Bowles is everyone's newest desperate grasp at "this is the one guy who is at fault for everything wrong with the team" (and as usual, is far from true), there is no evidence to suggest that Maccagnan has some vastly different view of the situation.  After all, he's the one who went after McCown in the first place, and gave him the contract that he did filled with plenty of playing time bonuses.  Meanwhile, Petty has always been talked about by everyone involved in the team, including Maccagnan, as a backup QB and the very last thing Mac needs right now, if he wants to keep his job, is to have people getting a reminder of how immeasurably bad Hackenberg is.  It seems pretty clear that the entire team has already written Hack off at this point, with him mostly being around just in case he happens to miraculously shock everyone next year in camp/preseason, but absolutely no one is expecting that.

Mac's best case scenario is managing to ride this season out and survive, giving him one last chance to get someone worth a damn at the position.  If he actually does that, and then there is still an old vet starting over whoever they get, that would be the first time he would have incentive to get involved, but that certainly isn't the case now.

I think McCown continuing to start shows the obvious that Petty and Hack are horrible, and it also shows that, 

McCown will be back next year as our starter to hold the fort until our newly drafted Quarterback is ready. They want McCown back and will start him until season’s end to give assurances they want him back next year.

2 hours ago, DoubleU said:

So, Macc decided that a player should be on the roster and he should now cut that player that he decided would be on the roster because he does not like the fact that that player that he decided would be on the roster is playing over two other players, who he decided would be on the roster who aren't as good as that player he decided would be on the roster, which is the whole reason he decided that player would be on the roster in the first place?

12 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They will all go into next season with a better QB than we do? 

Good!

and so what does it tell you that we're right around the same record-wise with these supposedly vastly superior rosters?

I know you can do it!

1 minute ago, bgivs21 said:

McCown is coming back next year - You can put money on that. No way do the Jets, lea by Bowles/Mac, go into next season w/ Petty, Hack & Rookie QB on the roster. 

I look forward to seeing these threads at the start of the next season. 

I've said this for months.  McCown is the heavy favorite to start next year.  If I had to guess, McCown for 6 weeks, then Baker Mayfield.  

I think McCown continuing to start shows the obvious that Petty and Hack are horrible, and it also shows that, 
McCown will be back next year as our starter to hold the fort until our newly drafted Quarterback is ready. They want McCown back and will start him until season’s end to give assurances they want him back next year.

Mccown is playing like a top 10 qb this season, starting him doesn't really mean that petty and hack are horrible it just means mccown gives us the best chance to win which is important seeing as we are not eliminated from the playoffs yet...we are already out of the running for the top two quarterbacks we might as well cheer for wins and hope we can sneak into the playoffs

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

If Mac doesn’t find a QB for 2018 and resigns McClown as the indisputable and irreplaceable starter, I urge all to sign a petition to have him fired after the draft and contact the billboards guy who constructed the FIRE IDZIK movement NOW. 

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I've said this for months.  McCown is the heavy favorite to start next year.  If I had to guess, McCown for 6 weeks, then Baker Mayfield.  

McCown is definitely earning a contract somewhere next year. If your scenario holds true, I could definitely live with that. In fact, would be very happy.

7 minutes ago, BigO said:

If Mac doesn’t find a QB for 2018 and resigns McClown as the indisputable and irreplaceable starter, I urge all to sign a petition to have him fired after the draft and contact the billboards guy who constructed the FIRE IDZIK movement NOW. 

Why can't we do that when he drafts an average safety with a premier pick?

9 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

McCown is coming back next year - You can put money on that. No way do the Jets, lea by Bowles/Mac, go into next season w/ Petty, Hack & Rookie QB on the roster. 

I look forward to seeing these threads at the start of the next season. 

you left out, mccown will also be the week one starter, after another sham of a QB competition.. 

Just now, jetgreen13 said:

you left out, mccown will also be the week one starter, after another sham of a QB competition.. 

Another sham?  This would suggest there was a first one, what was that?  I can understand folks not being happy with McCown starting this year, but they gave Hackenberg every chance in the world to take that job, and he failed in unimaginable ways.

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

Another sham?  This would suggest there was a first one, what was that?  I can understand folks not being happy with McCown starting this year, but they gave Hackenberg every chance in the world to take that job, and he failed in unimaginable ways.

& you're suggesting it wasn't?? a 3 man QB competition, with petty not getting a single preseason snap with the 1st team offense?!  & even with that, petty still outplayed mccown..

damn right it was a sham..

Archived