Why Maccagnan must cut McCown.

DoubleU

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

This has been the best season of his career...he has mostly played very good football this season. He isn't our future but he isn't to blame for our losing record either.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

What you have put down here has happened to every player who has ever played the game.  At the end of the day you are what your record says you are; period. 

Period!

I hear and see what your basic point is but at the end of the day the I woulda, I coulda or I shoulda don’t cut it.  If you are a parent you will know what I am saying.  

Think on this, you don’t bring food for your children to eat day after day and at the end of the day your efforts and excuses won’t feed your hungry children. Period.  Perhaps you say  “well that is different, that is life and death”.  Well guess what someone will be fired for this season, some players may get hurt and never play again, for these guys who will never have a chance to make this kind of money it is life and death whether they realize it or not!!

And so long as the Jets make excuses like “McCown isn’t that bad” IMO you have already lost.  

That isn’t the right question   The key point is McCown isn’t that good  

At the end of the day you say McCown isn’t that bad, well that is true but he is also responsible for 3 key mistakes that have led directly to losses. That is 3 games.  I guess you want to blame other players who don’t nearly impact the out of the game as much as the QB and that is why QBs, in the main, get the glory and the money cause they are in the money position.  

So no I am not saying McCown is totally “responsible” for us having a losing record but I am saying if we had a better QB we would have a superior record.  

I am not fantasizing just dealing with what is. 

What you have put down here has happened to every player who has ever played the game.  At the end of the day you are what your record says you are; period. 
Period!
I hear and see what your basic point is but at the end of the day the I woulda, I coulda or I shoulda don’t cut it.  If you are a parent you will know what I am saying.  
Think on this, you don’t bring food for your children to eat day after day and at the end of the day your efforts and excuses won’t feed your hungry children. Period.  Perhaps you say  “well that is different, that is life and death”.  Well guess what someone will be fired for this season, some players may get hurt and never play again, for these guys who will never have a chance to make this kind of money it is life and death whether they realize it or not!!
And so long as the Jets make excuses like “McCown isn’t that bad” IMO you have already lost.  
That isn’t the right question   The key point is McCown isn’t that good  
At the end of the day you say McCown isn’t that bad, well that is true but he is also responsible for 3 key mistakes that have led directly to losses. That is 3 games.  I guess you want to blame other players who don’t nearly impact the out of the game as much as the QB and that is why QBs, in the main, get the glory and the money cause they are in the money position.  
So no I am not saying McCown is totally “responsible” for us having a losing record but I am saying if we had a better QB we would have a superior record.  
I am not fantasizing just dealing with what is. 

I'm not saying mccown isn't that bad I am saying this season and this season alone he has been pretty good. True that if we had a tom Brady of an Aaron Rodgers we would have won more games there is no denying that but we don't have those guys we have bryce petty and Christian hackenburg backing him up...which one of those two would have without a doubt won more games than mccown this year?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Good!

and so what does it tell you that we're right around the same record-wise with these supposedly vastly superior rosters?

I know you can do it!

We have a roster who plays their hearts out and ends up with the same record as the dreadfully dissapointing teams of the league? 

13 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I'm not saying mccown isn't that bad I am saying this season and this season alone he has been pretty good. True that if we had a tom Brady of an Aaron Rodgers we would have won more games there is no denying that but we don't have those guys we have bryce petty and Christian hackenburg backing him up...which one of those two would have without a doubt won more games than mccown this year?

Perhaps neither of them, and that my friend is a direct indictment of the front office and coaching staff that after three years and an equal number of drafts we don’t have a QB or QBs on the roster that management and fans can know are or will be clearly superior to McCown.  

Your thinking isn’t wrong at all.  Rather the very fact that the Jets are in this position isn’t IMO an act of God or the fates but because of poor ineffectual planning from the beginning. 

They should have been upgrading the QB position from day one when they were hired!!! Everyone and their grandmother knew the Jets needed a QB and now they act like they are doing something when their poor picks and so on have us in a position where going into year four at this date they have no recognized future QB on the roster.

IMO this unacceptable 

But Lets go Jets....

Perhaps neither of them, and that my friend is a direct indictment of the front office and coaching staff that after three years and an equal number of drafts we don’t have a QB or QBs on the roster that management and fans can know are or will be clearly superior to McCown.  
Your thinking isn’t wrong at all.  Rather the very fact that the Jets are in this position isn’t IMO an act of God or the fates but because of poor ineffectual planning from the beginning. 
They should have been upgrading the QB position from day one when they were hired!!! Everyone and their grandmother knew the Jets needed a QB and now they act like they are doing something when their poor picks and so on have us in a position where going into year four at this date they have no recognized future QB on the roster.
IMO this unacceptable 
But Lets go Jets....

The only two qbs within our reach who would have been worth drafting were dak and Watson...Watson is hurt now though he looked pretty good when healthy and dak was a crapshoot that the cowboys almost whiffed on by trading up for Paxton and neither guy fit the prototypical quarterback that we have been looking for. Not sure what great qbs we missed out on in free agency Maybe one of the guys up in Minnesota but they were also a pretty big gamble and Bradford cost the vikings a first round pick. If it were easy to find a quarterback everyone would have one and we wouldn't need to worry about losing games so we can draft one high.

40 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

True, but we should understand as well as anyone the torture of committing to a mediocre-at-best QB as the "franchise" (see: Pennington, Sanchez)

Both Pennington and Sanchez were considered franchise QB’s coming out of college and would have been picked by other teams high in the draft.  Unfortunately they didn’t pan out for us but you still have to take the risk and draft the best possible choice.  QB’s don’t grow on trees, well not always. A Brady or Warner are a generational rarity.  Mac must find a QB somehow, some way either through the draft, trade or FA. ReSigning McClown as the starter w/o a future QB in the wings is unacceptable and insulting to this fan base.  We dare you Mac! Go ahead and do that and see what happens!

the idea of cutting a vet to make room for a younger player has been expressed before and not just here.  cut mccown now?  well i guess it would force bowles into starting petty or hack.  but that's about the only way mac can get either one of those guys on the field right now. it's not going to happen.  and the only way mccown gets benched is if woody's bro lays down the law.  at this point, it makes no difference from a record position. it would at least give people a reason to watch the games.

3 minutes ago, BigO said:

Both Pennington and Sanchez were considered for franchise QB’s coming out of college and would have been picked by other teams high in the draft.  Unfortunately they didn’t pan out for us but you still have to take the risk and draft the best possible choice.  QB’s don’t grow on trees, well not always. A Brady or Warner are a generational rarity.  Mac must find a QB somehow, some way either through the draft, trade or FA. ReSigning McClown as the starter w/o a future QB in the wings is unacceptable and insulting to this fan base.  We dare you Mac! Go ahead and do that and see what happens!

Don't disagree with you there, and my point wasn't an issue with the drafting of either, but rather the doubling-down on them.  Which is why I said when talking about the likes of Tannehill and Dalton, they are certainly better than the Jets' trash, but that's another question of how good of a thing it is to have that, and the team committed to them.

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

We will have a losing season; how is that a successful season?? :(   

McCown will have accomplished exactly what he has his entire career, that is, consistently having one of the worst starting records in the NFL over the last twenty years.  

Todd loves his vets.  I'm not joking that I think if Josh went the entire season, Todd would consider it a success and a feather in his hat.  And he would look back and think it was a privilege to be a part of Josh's best season.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Another sham?  This would suggest there was a first one, what was that?  I can understand folks not being happy with McCown starting this year, but they gave Hackenberg every chance in the world to take that job, and he failed in unimaginable ways.

Exactly.  There was a legit QB competition this past training camp.  The problem was that Petty was hurt and Hack was awful, leaving the sucky McCown to win the job.  What would have been interesting was if Hack had merely been equally sucky as McCown rather than awful and the Jets had to chose who should start.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

McCown aspires to be mediocre

True, thus the "at best", yet his current season is so unbelievably Pennington-like, I can't help but laugh.  Interesting to see the pure rage from some after less than one year of it, considering the massive support there was for years of such performances being supposedly franchise-worthy.

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

True, thus the "at best", yet his current season is so unbelievably Pennington-like, I can't help but laugh.  Interesting to see the pure rage from some after less than one year of it, considering the massive support there was for years of such performances being supposedly franchise-worthy.

What's really sad is that this Pennington-like season from McCown is him being completely healthy.  He literally never won 3 games in a row in his career until this season.  Only the Jets luck.  I believe Macc thought he was getting the best veteran tanking QB available and, for his career, McCown was it.  But he ends up having a career season.  LOL.

Hack is just not very good. Cutting McCown means Petty plays. Hack was given a lot of opportunity in the preseason to emerge. Instead he's fallen behind a QB whose best accomplishment in the NFL has been great improvement in his Madden game. If Hack had improved he would be #2 not #3. Bowles obviously has no allegiance to Petty because he's not a vet with starting experience--right? 

If Hack is emerging then Bowles would at least have Hack as #2 to show the front office he's done something with a young QB but also won games with a vet so he deserves to stick around. Keeping Petty at #2 does nothing for Bowles' job security.

3 hours ago, SMC said:

Exactly.  There was a legit QB competition this past training camp.  The problem was that Petty was hurt and Hack was awful, leaving the sucky McCown to win the job.  What would have been interesting was if Hack had merely been equally sucky as McCown rather than awful and the Jets had to chose who should start.

again, petty didn't take one snap with the 1st team offense last preseason, because bowles never had any intention of starting him..

mccown was bowles' guy a nanosecond after he signed his contract..

17 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

I don't get the whole Hackenberg situation. He drafts him in the 2nd round - he knows he's a project, so that's almost like saying that he thinks he's a 1st round caliber player. Then he never even suits him up? 2 years and he doesn't even get a shot?

And everyone in their mother knew the kid was (i'm sure a nice young fellow but) total garbage. 

Archived