Fun Fact about Mark Sanchez

Philc1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

the crazy thing is outside of 2009 and 2010 we haven't had a single season of top level D despite focusing on the D every draft this decade. 

Because our offense cannot stay on the field. Part of the reason NE usually has a top ranked D is Brady is on the field the entire game

49 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because our offense cannot stay on the field. Part of the reason NE usually has a top ranked D is Brady is on the field the entire game

Jets TOP averages:

2009: 32:07

2010: 32:37

2011: 30:49

2012: 30:26

2013: 30:13

2014: 31:01

2015: 31:20

2016: 30:41

2017: 30:28

average of these almost 9 seasons: 31:04

NE TOP averages in same span:

2009: 33:05

2010: 29:24

2011: 28:47

2012: 30:55

2013: 30:20

2014: 29:36

2015: 30:17

2016: 31:13

2017: 30:57

average of these almost 9 seasons: 30:30

NE's O helps b/c they score more taking pressure off their D but we have spent a decade using high picks on defense w/ no return.  Our D's should be much better regardless of how bad our O's are.

What’s really pathetic is that most of the defenders aren’t even with the team any more.

2010: Kyle Wilson

2012: Coples

2013: Milliner & Richardson

2014: Pryor

So out of 9 first round picks we basically have Wilk, Leo, Lee, Adams, and because of trades Jermaine Kearse.  You can add Davis but since we drafted him in the third, what ever.

Lets face it, the team sucks and is in perpetual rebuild because we refuse to address the QB position and suck at drafting all together.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

What’s really pathetic is that most of the defenders aren’t even with the team any more.

2010: Kyle Wilson

2012: Coples

2013: Milliner & Richardson

2014: Pryor

So out of 9 first round picks we basically have Wilk, Leo, Lee, Adams, and because of trades Jermaine Kearse.  You can add Davis but since we drafted him in the third, what ever.

Lets face it, the team sucks and is in perpetual rebuild because we refuse to address the QB position and suck at drafting all together.

Let's hope our high draft picks stick with this regime. Drafting with Rex hurt us so badly.

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Let's hope our high draft picks stick with this regime. Drafting with Rex hurt us so badly.

The regimes have changed but the philosophy seems to be the same.  All of the blue chip players are still on the defense.  Starters drafted (not necessarily by us) in the first three rounds:

DL: Leo & Wilk #1

LB: Lee #1, Ealy #2, Jenkins & Davis #3

DB: Claiborne & Adams #1, Maye #2

So all but two starters (McLendon and Skrine) were originally drafted in the first three rounds.

On offense, not so much.

OL: Only Carpenter #1 and Winters #3.  Shell, Beachum, and Johnson were drafted either late or not at all.

WR: Kearse, Kerley, and Anderson were taken late or not at all.

RB: I’ll include Powell here and he was a third day pick.

While McCown and Forte were drafted in the 3rd and 2nd round respectively, both were drafted so long ago that it negates their prospects.  We get to have McCown who is a legitimate back up and the ghost of Forte.

So out of 11 starters on Offense we have 2 guys that were taken in the first 3 rounds while our starting defense has 9.

So apparently, it’s not just the QB position this team completely ignores.  It’s offense entirely.

11 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The regimes have changed but the philosophy seems to be the same.  All of the blue chip players are still on the defense.  Starters drafted (not necessarily by us) in the first three rounds:

DL: Leo & Wilk #1

LB: Lee #1, Ealy #2, Jenkins & Davis #3

DB: Claiborne & Adams #1, Maye #2

So all but two starters (McLendon and Skrine) were originally drafted in the first three rounds.

On offense, not so much.

OL: Only Carpenter #1 and Winters #3.  Shell, Beachum, and Johnson were drafted either late or not at all.

WR: Kearse, Kerley, and Anderson were taken late or not at all.

RB: I’ll include Powell here and he was a third day pick.

While McCown and Forte were drafted in the 3rd and 2nd round respectively, both were drafted so long ago that it negates their prospects.  We get to have McCown who is a legitimate back up and the ghost of Forte.

So out of 11 starters on Offense we have 2 guys that were taken in the first 3 rounds while our starting defense has 9.

So apparently, it’s not just the QB position this team completely ignores.  It’s offense entirely.

I think you misread my post, I only said I hope our high draft picks stick unlike previous regimes. The players we sign in FA, the waiver wire or through trades have nothing to do with our drafting.

I completely agree we need to invest in offense early and often this year and more frequently in additional years. IMO it's harder to find good defenders than it is to find good offensive players (outside of QB and LT). The rules have made it so lopsided in favor of the offense and so slanted against the defense that you could argue the value is in defensive players outside of LT and QB. You could also argue that since the rules are so lopsided that you should go offense and play into that strength.

We just need to select good players, since Macc took over our first 4 rounds have been:

Offense = 5 players

Defense = 7 players

not really overly lopsided towards defense, the selection is the issue not the side of the ball.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think you misread my post, I only said I hope our high draft picks stick unlike previous regimes. The players we sign in FA, the waiver wire or through trades have nothing to do with our drafting.

I completely agree we need to invest in offense early and often this year and more frequently in additional years. IMO it's harder to find good defenders than it is to find good offensive players (outside of QB and LT). The rules have made it so lopsided in favor of the offense and so slanted against the defense that you could argue the value is in defensive players outside of LT and QB. You could also argue that since the rules are so lopsided that you should go offense and play into that strength.

We just need to select good players, since Macc took over our first 4 rounds have been:

Offense = 5 players

Defense = 7 players

not really overly lopsided towards defense, the selection is the issue not the side of the ball.

Not sure what you meant by 5 offensive players and 7 defensive players, but I wasn’t only focusing on the draft.

We have a HC that was assistant coach of the year coaching defense.  So why the hell do we need Blue Chip prospects at basically every position on defense while we litter our offense with undrafted long shots with no QB what so ever?

All  our focus is on defense.  Has been that way for years.  Go back all the way to 2010.  A majority of those drafted have gone:

1st round: Defense

2nd: Over drafted long shot on offense (Ducasse, Geno, D.Smith, Hackenberg, etc.)

3rd: Defense

The only exceptions were Winters, and this past year when we went with Maye and Stewart.

While we have found a couple of gems in Anderson, Enunwa, and ASJ, our OL sucks because we have neglected it.  Yes we should be able to find starters late in the draft, we just can’t fill every position on the line that way.

Whats worse, out of the past 9 defensive 1st rounders, we didnt find find a pass rusher, 1CB, or defensive playmaker.  So out of our last 9 first round picks  we have no cornerstone defensive players.  I guess that kind of evens out with the zero cornerstones we have on offense.

Whats sad, if we had a star QB, it would elevate everyone on both sides of the ball.

So judging on the return we have had the past 9 1st round picks, how many #1s do we offer Cleveland to get to #1?  As many as it takes.

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Not sure what you meant by 5 offensive players and 7 defensive players, but I wasn’t only focusing on the draft.

We have a HC that was assistant coach of the year coaching defense.  So why the hell do we need Blue Chip prospects at basically every position on defense while we litter our offense with undrafted long shots with no QB what so ever?

I was talking about this regime. I can't really fault Bowles/Macc for the mistakes prior to them being here. The player count were the number of offensive/defensive players selected in the first 4 rounds. 

4 hours ago, Pcola said:

Whats sad, if we had a star QB, it would elevate everyone on both sides of the ball.

So judging on the return we have had the past 9 1st round picks, how many #1s do we offer Cleveland to get to #1?  As many as it takes.

I do think we address QB this season and completely agree it will drastically help both sides of the ball. I don't think there is any price to move up this year if the Browns and Giants pick 1/2. I think Mayfield/Roudolph/Jackson/Allen/Stidham are all roughly on the same level so I have no problem sitting at whatever pick we get. I don't see THAT many QBs going ahead of us where we won't have a few choices.

Archived