Shohei Otani

Philc1

Just now, Fibonacci said:

What is special about him? I know he can pitch and hit and is he an excellent hitter or an excellent pitcher? 

He’s both.  Better than Tanaka who we gave $175 mil to so Cashman better not cheap out especially with CC, Tex and Arod coming off the books

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Is there a cap or provision under the CBA limiting what we can offer him?

Yes, he's not a true free agent.   He falls under the international signing cap.   Texas can offer the most money, followed by the Yanks, at about 3.5 million bonus.   That's the great part about him, he's going to be cheap. 

Since the money is the same for everyone, it's about selling him on the location.   NY is a good team, he's in NY so he can market himself well, the Yanks have a history with Japanese players (don't forget Matsui winning the World Series MVP).   He's in the AL, so he can DH (he can hit, but he's not regarded as much of a fielder).

On 11/28/2017 at 10:48 AM, Philc1 said:

Yankees should forget about all other free agents and make this kid an offer he can’t refuse.  Otani is meeting with reps from all 30 teams this weekend

CASHMAN MAKE IT HAPPEN 

thing is we can make an offer he cant refuse due to the int'l pool cap.  he is stuck making peanuts the next 2 years(~$3.5M).  Still think the yankees get him though :) he can pitch and DH with the yanks.

On 11/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, chirorob said:

Yes, he's not a true free agent.   He falls under the international signing cap.   Texas can offer the most money, followed by the Yanks, at about 3.5 million bonus.   That's the great part about him, he's going to be cheap. 

Since the money is the same for everyone, it's about selling him on the location.   NY is a good team, he's in NY so he can market himself well, the Yanks have a history with Japanese players (don't forget Matsui winning the World Series MVP).   He's in the AL, so he can DH (he can hit, but he's not regarded as much of a fielder).

ninja'd

On 11/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, chirorob said:

dont forget that matsui is still part of the yankees org ;)

https://nypost.com/2017/12/03/shohei-ohtani-turns-down-yankees/

No-htani.

Shohei Ohtani told Brian Cashman that he will not sign with the Yankees, the GM said Sunday.

Cashman said the news was “disappointing” that Ohtani prefers a smaller market on the West Coast.

The Yankees had stockpiled their international bonus-pool money in hopes to land the Japanese outfielder and pitcher, who has been hyped as the Japanese Babe Ruth. Instead, the Mariners may now be the front-runner.

5 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Turns out plannning to outspend everyone to land a guy not coming here immediately for money wasn’t a thing.

I’ve been saying for half a decade that this guy will be a Cub and it’s a’comin....

What out spending?   The most they could give him was about 200k more than the next team, it's not a bidding war.

Rumor I heard, Seattle signs Darvish and gets Otani to go with him.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

What out spending?   The most they could give him was about 200k more than the next team, it's not a bidding war.

Yeah. Not sure when Chicago turned into a small market on the West Coast?

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

The reason so many favored the Yankees going in was because of money. They had the largest pool and they’re the Yankees so more money.

He’s also made it known he doesn’t care for playing with a Japanese superstar. 

51 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The reason so many favored the Yankees going in was because of money. They had the largest pool and they’re the Yankees so more money.

He’s also made it known he doesn’t care for playing with a Japanese superstar. 

F him.  I hope he needs Tommy John next year

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

I would have loved to have him.

He's interesting.   Having teams fill out a form so he can see who will use him the best is kinda odd.   Let's see him hit MLB pitching first. 

Hitting is his side gig. He is a pitcher through and through.

Was listening to a local sports radio guy who claimed to have a good bud who was V. P. Baseball Operations for an unnamed team.

The source claimed to have seen Otani play in 40 plus games and equated it to seeing a pre-NBA Labron and saying "this guy is going to be a major difference maker"  

8 hours ago, NJ said:

Was listening to a local sports radio guy who claimed to have a good bud who was V. P. Baseball Operations for an unnamed team.

The source claimed to have seen Otani play in 40 plus games and equated it to seeing a pre-NBA Labron and saying "this guy is going to be a major difference maker"  

He is unquestionably the best non-MLB baseball talent on the planet and has been for years. 

Otani to Angels. He won't have to perform miracles to immediately be the ace on this staff.

Wonder what kind of piece this was in the decision? 

Went to the Angels site to try and get spring training tickets as they're about 4 miles from where I'll be watching the Cubs, and it's essentially blown up with traffic. 

Good for them - Scioscia's a good manager

51 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Meh, still beats picking Jaylon Smith in the 2nd. If it helps i called the Angels the most legit threat to the Cubs because there was a Troutaphant in the room.

Cubs should make up for it by trading for Stroman.

Jaylon Smith has had a very solid season and has started several games. He basically shut down Vernon Davis last week. But do you homie. 

Archived