Jump to content

Eli? It's Sanchez The Scapegoat You Should Be Outraged About You Stupid Fools


SAR I
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez is still in his prime but is somehow still getting railroaded because he got hurt in a preseason game 5 years ago? Eli is 37 and will have a starting job next season. I'd say most NFL fans dont realize Sanchez is still in football. He's gotten a ton of chances, most notably in Philly, and stunk. Come on with this.

Let's look at Brett Favre.  Legendary before playing for the Jets, has a great 12-4 season after leaving the Jets.

Did Brett Favre suck?  Or was he brought down by his circumstances?

Mark's shoulder isn't what was injured and ruined his career.  It was his brain.  The Jets screwed him over but good.  If it happened to a grizzled Hall of Famer like Favre, it most definitely happened to Sanchez.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Actually if they'd have kept Favre they probably could have won in 2009 or 2010.

Again, everyone blames the quarterback.  Always the quarterback.  Even for a team that the whole world knew was not built around the quarterback but by defense and ground & pound rushing.   So many of you just don't get it.

Rex Ryan's strategy almost worked.  It didn't fail because of the QB.  It failed because the D played small in the biggest games.  Second half at Indy, blow 10 point lead.  First half at Pittsburgh, no-show.  In all 6 playoff games, Mark Sanchez played well enough to win.  He won 4.  He couldn't win the last 2 by himself.  And that's exactly what Rex Ryan's AFCCG defensive failures put him in a position to have to do.

But, hey, blame the quarterback.  Perhaps it makes some of you sleep better at night.  Because the alternative is really hard to imagine.  That the Jets had the franchise quarterback they've been looking for since Namath and instead chose the idiot head coach because he made for good media.

SAR I

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

As far as the original gist of this thread from SAR, in my opinion he’s not wrong.  The Sanchise was on his way until he had no talent around him. Look at what the rams gave Goff this year, the Jets did the opposite,  how bout what Wentz has around him.  Young QBs need a supporting cast. Sanchez had that in the beginning.  Putting in your supposed franchise QB in the 4th qtr of a meaningless preseason game and getting him injured and then Bringing in Tebow was the beginning of the end.  The team sucked, he was worse and did nothing but shatter a young QBs confidence.  I recall Boomer saying how horrible a move it was .  He was right.  Now we are stuck in QB mediocrity.  38 year old journeyman having a career year, hmmmmm where have I heard that before........

we need to be playing petty and/or hack NOW.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year. We may need to sign a free agent QB and draft one.  

Perfectly stated.

Tony Sparano
Tim Tebow
Clyde Gates
Chaz Schillens
Stephen Hill
Shonn Greene

Blame the quarterback.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Good post, but here's what haunts me and should haunt every Jets fan:

What might have Mark Sanchez turned into if we gave him a mulligan for 2012, fired Ryan and Idzik a year earlier, brought in a strong offensive coordinator, and built a consistent and decent set of WR's, TE's, and RB's for him to throw to.

The Atlanta Falcons stuck by Matt Ryan.  At one stretch he went 4-12, then 6-10.  The Falcons didn't scapegoat Matt Ryan.  They got rid of their head coach.  See, when you find a potential franchise quarterback, you do everything you can to give him every chance to succeed.  You give him every benefit of every doubt.  You don't let your HC throw him under the bus so he can get another fat HC contract from a sucker NFL team.  Franchise quarterbacks are just too hard to find. 

If there was even a shred of a chance of Mark Sanchez bouncing back, he should have been given that chance.  Hell, Tony Sparano isn't an OC.  Chaz Schillens, Stephen Hill, Fat Shonn Greene, and Clyde Gates didn't even belong in the NFL.  Yet there they were, your 2012 New York Jets offense, and Mark Sanchez is the one who takes the blame and is shown the door.  Biggest mistake in team history.  And the fans go along for the ride like the suckers they are.

SAR I

HC didn't throw Sanchez under the bus.  He was pushed by the GM to get his pick Cheap Geno in there.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

While we're lamenting, I sometimes think what could have been if Brad Smith stuck around and continued to be the Robin to Sanchez's batman. 

No joke, Brad Smith was a massive playmaker on offense and special teams.  Just another tool in the Jets offensive arsenal that wasn't retained so that we could beef up our defense, make the myth of Rex Ryan Defensive Guru seem like it was real.

Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Tony Richardson, Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller, Ladanian Tomlinson, Plaxico Burress, Damien Woody.  An offense full of players on their last legs or always injured, never replaced, our quarterback hung out to dry.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I remember his first game, at Houston. His footwork was outstanding, and timing and accuracy of his throws were shockingly good for a very first NFL game.

If you asked any franchise to do everything in their power to be as unsupportive as possible with a young QB, to ruin him, you’d be hard pressed to find one that could be as effective as the Jets were. It’s honestly uncanny how many horrible decisions that they managed to make. 

Perfectly stated.

Suicide, Jets style.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Again, everyone blames the quarterback.  Always the quarterback.  Even for a team that the whole world knew was not built around the quarterback but by defense and ground & pound rushing.   So many of you just don't get it.

Rex Ryan's strategy almost worked.  It didn't fail because of the QB.  It failed because the D played small in the biggest games.  Second half at Indy, blow 10 point lead.  First half at Pittsburgh, no-show.  In all 6 playoff games, Mark Sanchez played well enough to win.  He won 4.  He couldn't win the last 2 by himself.  And that's exactly what Rex Ryan's AFCCG defensive failures put him in a position to have to do.

But, hey, blame the quarterback.  Perhaps it makes some of you sleep better at night.  Because the alternative is really hard to imagine.  That the Jets had the franchise quarterback they've been looking for since Namath and instead chose the idiot head coach because he made for good media.

SAR I

The Sanchez fumble6 right before half was a killer.  The offense also failed to show up in the 1st half, not just the D.

Sanchez got a raw deal by the Jets in the end.  They dismantled the offense around him and Rex getting him hurt in the 4th quarter of the Snoopy bowl was a fireable offense.  

That said, Favre as a QB probably wins one of those 2 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

If it was Eli and not Sanchez on the jets in 09 and 10, we easily win back to back superbowls. Sanchez was complete garbage. Jets carried him 

Netflix doesn't teach you much about football.  Watch the games before you post.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This would all be true IF sanchez moved on to success with another team.

so explain

Won't explain because the premise is flawed.

Sanchez wasn't given a starter's role after his stint with the Jets.  Merely a backup, getting limited reps, forced into duty unprepared, bouncing from team to team.  No one invested in Mark Sanchez after 2013.  Nor did the Jets in 2011 or 2012.  That's the real crime here.

SAR I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Won't explain because the premise is flawed.

Sanchez wasn't given a starter's role after his stint with the Jets.  Merely a backup, getting limited reps, forced into duty unprepared, bouncing from team to team.  No one invested in Mark Sanchez after 2013.  Nor did the Jets in 2011 or 2012.  That's the real crime here.

SAR I

Actually, that's the flawed premise. When you start with the idea that an opportunity in a pure meritocracy like the NFL should be "given" and not "seized," "taken," or "grabbed," then whatever follows doesn't really follow a realistic narrative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Won't explain because the premise is flawed.

Sanchez wasn't given a starter's role after his stint with the Jets.  Merely a backup, getting limited reps, forced into duty unprepared, bouncing from team to team.  No one invested in Mark Sanchez after 2013.  Nor did the Jets in 2011 or 2012.  That's the real crime here.

SAR I

Huh? Denver wanted to gift wrap their starting qb job to Sanchez and he Sanchez’d It up in preseason

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Nothing kills a young quarterback faster than a lack of support from the FO and the HC and the resulting lack of confidence that goes along with it.

More importantly, how we doing?  How are your Jets since you ran Mark Sanchez out of town? 

SAR I

Does this logic apply to Geno Smith or is this double standards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Yeah, a reach first rounder to fill an area of need who winds up winning more playoff games than any other quarterback in his franchise's history is a bust.

Watch football some time.  You might learn something.

SAR I

Lol ohh wow he was on a team that won 4 playoff games, alert canton 🤣. The #1 and # 3 defenses carried him. Along with a great running game with a team of vets. Look at his rankings those yrs, bottom half of the league as usual. We all know you had a HUGE man crush on Sanchez, he was a nice guy he just couldn’t handle the NFL. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Everything being said about Eli Manning and the lack of wide receivers, running game, offensive line, and offensive coordination and being passed off as a scapegoat for his GM and head coach is precisely what happened to Mark Sanchez.

So laugh it up Jets fans. This happened to your quarterback in this town too. And Mark Sanchez 2012 was a far better quarterback than Eli Manning 2017.  And unlike Giants fans who are screaming bloody murder right now, you drank the Kool Aid the media fed you.  Buttfumble videos on YouTube hurt your pathetic little millennial safespace feelings and blinded you to the best quarterback we've had since Namath.  

It's Year 5 of the post-Sanchez era.  You got what you wanted.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

A picture is worth a thousand words.

image.png   

image.png

image.png

image.png

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SAR I is absolutely delusional regarding Sanchez.  If Chez were so great then how come he couldn't rally the team after the Victor Cruz TD?  Or the weeks after?  And how come he lost the job to Trevor Siemian after Peyton retired?  That was the IDEAL situation for a QB to step into.  He was handed the keys to a SB champion team with a legit dominant defense.  Yet he couldn't even win the job in preseason against an unknown like Siemian (who right now looks like he stinks)?  Yes he played well for the Jets in the playoffs but let's also remember the turnovers and that color-coded system (IIRC) where Rex had to tell him when take chances and when to play it cautious.  Let's remember year 3 of his with the Jets when Rex took the training wheels off but Chez stunk up the joint.  And let's also remember the Jets badly wanted Peyton when he was a FA.  When he signed with Denver, Tanny foolishly extended Chez.

I get we have been QB starved for a couple of decades now.  And yes there were some surprising successes while Chez was here but that doesn't mean he was a legit good QB.  When he won we had very strong defenses, OL and running game.  Again, in year 3 when the training wheels were off, he couldn't meet the challenge.  And yes the weapons were terrible but the legit good QBs can win with almost anything.  And the Denver thing is absolutely inexcusable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

No joke, Brad Smith was a massive playmaker on offense and special teams.  Just another tool in the Jets offensive arsenal that wasn't retained so that we could beef up our defense, make the myth of Rex Ryan Defensive Guru seem like it was real.

Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Tony Richardson, Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller, Ladanian Tomlinson, Plaxico Burress, Damien Woody.  An offense full of players on their last legs or always injured, never replaced, our quarterback hung out to dry.

SAR I

If Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers had Sanchez's weapons do you think those would be under .500 teams?  How about if they walked into the Denver situation after Peyton retired.  Would they have lost the job to an unknown like Trevor Siemian (who has since gone off the rails)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He had Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, some decent running backs and perhaps the best offensive line in the entire league. And he had a good defense, too, so there wasn't pressure to put up big time points. Other than an offensive head coach, he had almost everything you could ask for.

Not only did he get a fair chance, he got much more in the way of a chance than he deserved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Everything being said about Eli Manning and the lack of wide receivers, running game, offensive line, and offensive coordination and being passed off as a scapegoat for his GM and head coach is precisely what happened to Mark Sanchez.

So laugh it up Jets fans. This happened to your quarterback in this town too. And Mark Sanchez 2012 was a far better quarterback than Eli Manning 2017.  And unlike Giants fans who are screaming bloody murder right now, you drank the Kool Aid the media fed you.  Buttfumble videos on YouTube hurt your pathetic little millennial safespace feelings and blinded you to the best quarterback we've had since Namath.  

It's Year 5 of the post-Sanchez era.  You got what you wanted.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Touché

Sanchez was no doubt this franchise's golden boy but with dumbass Rex and bean counter Tanny in charge, indeed they didn't do enough to promote his growth. When Rex put Sanchez into that meaningless 4th quarter pre season game, we ALL should have realized just how disfunctional team management  truly was.

Still, this benching of Eli isn't in any way shape and form similar to the Sanchez benching. It's simply wrong.

when was Sanchez benched?  Rather seen Tebow than Mark's sorry a$$ under center.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez is still in his prime and is behind Mike Glennon and Mitch Trubisky. You want to say Sanchez got screwed a bit by Rex? OK. But you're going to have to explain why he's barely in the league at this point. Everyone in this league controls their own destiny. We put way too much stock into perceived circumstances. Guys find a way to perform if they have the goods. 

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJ

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, adb280z said:

The Sanchez fumble6 right before half was a killer.  The offense also failed to show up in the 1st half, not just the D.

Sanchez got a raw deal by the Jets in the end.  They dismantled the offense around him and Rex getting him hurt in the 4th quarter of the Snoopy bowl was a fireable offense.  

That said, Favre as a QB probably wins one of those 2 games.

Favre?  The king of the ill timed interception?  Let's not over rate Favre.  Great arm,  lots of TDs, amazing plays, but also the leader in career interceptions and only one Super Bowl despite many playoff appearances and a great team around him.  Gunslinger yes, but also a go for broke guy whose high risk high reward playing style didn't fare so well against the better teams in the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stoicsentry said:

He had Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, some decent running backs and perhaps the best offensive line in the entire league. And he had a good defense, too, so there wasn't pressure to put up big time points. Other than an offensive head coach, he had almost everything you could ask for.

Not only did he get a fair chance, he got much more in the way of a chance than he deserved.

that was only for his second season. in 2011 he had holmes and plax, complete punks and the beginning of the end.  plus as sar 1 is pointing out, rex was being exposed as a defensive coach.  it's all 20-20 by now but we just can't escape the fact that sanchez is better than what the current jet qb's are and had he not been injured would at least be in ELIte's league as far as qb play.  true he needed a team around him.  what qb doesn't?  imo idzik doesn't launch sanchez if geno doesn't go 8-8.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, gEYno said:

This is false.  Plenty of people said Sanchez was a problem then.  There was hope he'd improve, that is true.  He did not.

as i recall, sanchez was lighting it up in the preseason and was ready to lead the team until he got injured.  a lot has been said about his subsequent teams and play.  i agree he didn't seem to have the fire it takes, especially in ny, but he did have the tools.  it could be the shoulder injury was worse than advertised and he just didn't come back as strong as he should have.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Everything being said about Eli Manning and the lack of wide receivers, running game, offensive line, and offensive coordination and being passed off as a scapegoat for his GM and head coach is precisely what happened to Mark Sanchez.

So laugh it up Jets fans. This happened to your quarterback in this town too. And Mark Sanchez 2012 was a far better quarterback than Eli Manning 2017.  And unlike Giants fans who are screaming bloody murder right now, you drank the Kool Aid the media fed you.  Buttfumble videos on YouTube hurt your pathetic little millennial safespace feelings and blinded you to the best quarterback we've had since Namath.  

It's Year 5 of the post-Sanchez era.  You got what you wanted.  Hope you're happy.

SAR I

I have always said the only difference btw 2007/2011 NYG and 2009/2010 NYJ was the D/STs.  Both QBs were good but all those runs were keyed by D and STs, their D played great in title games and ours did not.  Both QBs could make a million mistakes but could also turn it on late in games.  They were similar, the biggest difference is NYG kept adding talent for Eli while we took it away and expected Mark to get better.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rangerous said:

as i recall, sanchez was lighting it up in the preseason and was ready to lead the team until he got injured.  a lot has been said about his subsequent teams and play.  i agree he didn't seem to have the fire it takes, especially in ny, but he did have the tools.  it could be the shoulder injury was worse than advertised and he just didn't come back as strong as he should have.

When you talk of "the tools," presumably you aren't including 'ability to throw a football accurately' as a "tool."  Because that, and inability to protect the football and inability to read defenses quickly were his biggest problems.  Not some intangible, "fire."  "The tools" seems limited to adequate arm strength and solid athleticism.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When you talk of "the tools," presumably you aren't including 'ability to throw a football accurately' as a "tool."  Because that, and inability to protect the football and inability to read defenses quickly were his biggest problems.  Not some intangible, "fire."  "The tools" seems limited to adequate arm strength and solid athleticism.

all Mark's issues were shared by Eli.  One organization kept adding talent around their QB and the other kept taking talent away after early success.  I think Mark could have had the solid career Eli had if we did a better job of surrounding him w/ talent.  We did a nice job the first 2 years then it stopped but at least in 2011 we tried.  after that we stopped trying.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let's look at Brett Favre.  Legendary before playing for the Jets, has a great 12-4 season after leaving the Jets.

Did Brett Favre suck?  Or was he brought down by his circumstances?

Mark's shoulder isn't what was injured and ruined his career.  It was his brain.  The Jets screwed him over but good.  If it happened to a grizzled Hall of Famer like Favre, it most definitely happened to Sanchez.

SAR I

Favre struggled the year before he signed with the Jets. Also well documented he was playing half the season with a bum shoulder. 

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...