What if Geno does well ?

Jetsplayer21

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eli hasn't played well this season, but he hasnt been downright awful either. I believe he's around 20 in DVOA/DYAR. They cant run the ball at all. Eli's always been solid at making the read and getting rid of the ball. Geno's going to end up taking a bunch of silly sacks we're used to seeing him take.

Want Geno to succeed, for many reasons, one of them, it will smash the narrative about poor Eli being disgraced, blah blah like Francescas dumb rant. As if he yells enough, it makes it true.  What's the big deal about making a qb change?  Oh, because Geno stinks, than it's an affront to Elli, but if Geno was good, than it's OK?  In any case, Geno has some tools, maybe it will come together for him. Stranger things have happened.  I wish our team made a qb change, that's for sure. What do WE have to look forward to? Less than the Giants.  If Petty or even Hack were under center, at least I'd have a minimal interest in the game. Now, I'm more interested in what Geno does.

15 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Want Geno to succeed, for many reasons, one of them, it will smash the narrative about poor Eli being disgraced, blah blah like Francescas dumb rant. As if he yells enough, it makes it true.  What's the big deal about making a qb change?  Oh, because Geno stinks, than it's an affront to Elli, but if Geno was good, than it's OK?  In any case, Geno has some tools, maybe it will come together for him. Stranger things have happened.  I wish our team made a qb change, that's for sure. What do WE have to look forward to? Less than the Giants.  If Petty or even Hack were under center, at least I'd have a minimal interest in the game. Now, I'm more interested in what Geno does.

Eli's a tier below Jeter in terms of NY icons. It was just unusual of the Giants to go about it this way. Add on they're starting a former failed Jets QB who's mostly known for getting his jaw broken...I mean yeah it's not the greatest of looks. Geno's been in the league a long time and has gotten a ton of starts.

On 11/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, Kleckineau said:

I posted this in another thread but it fits better here.

I realize it is blasphemous but I am actually more interested in seeing the Giants game this weekend to see how the "experiment" goes.

Also and here is the most interesting aspect, how will Jets fans react if Geno goes 19 for 25  300 yds 0 int and 2 TDs in a win?

And what if he has a run of nice  games to finish the season?

This place will be apoplectic.

No they will simply say "he will revert to being Geno" what ever that is supposed to mean.  I mean folks emotionally invested in seeing him fail. Why else would there be so much redicule for a guy who is no longer on our team?   

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Eli's a tier below Jeter in terms of NY icons. It was just unusual of the Giants to go about it this way. Add on they're starting a former failed Jets QB who's mostly known for getting his jaw broken...I mean yeah it's not the greatest of looks. Geno's been in the league a long time and has gotten a ton of starts.

Geno has been in the league about what, 5 seasons?  He went 8-8 his first season but was up and down.  His second year he struggled and was benched. When he returned he played pretty well all things considered and finished with 105 passer rating his last 4 games.  The next season, he was the projected starter, when he allowed his ego and mouth to create situation where another teammate (one with a history of assault) punch and break his jaw, ruining any chance he had of starting.   The following season, his HC Bowles decided to stick with the journeyman quarterback coming off a career year rather than give Geno another opportunity to compete for the starting job.  He eventually got to start late in the season only to get injured in the second half of his only start.   He then proceed to play out his contract and sign with the Giants. 

Remove the name GENO and tell again why he can't resurrect his career on the Giants or some other team?  

10 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its amazing how people can be rational and understand this when its for another team. If he was the Jets QB we'd be hearing what's his problem he's got no weaponzz dohh , he sucks , blah blah blah. 

The difference being that Eli has actually delivered before, unlike the Jets QBs I think you are referring to.

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ok, but McCown at 94 is even that more remarkable then. McCown makes 2 mil ? Eli 23 Lol.. 

The giants were picked to win their div by some, def not be 2-8. Jets were picked to finish dead last by many.  

McCown has been a revelation, no doubt about it. Probably saved Bowles' job.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Remove the name GENO and tell again why he can't resurrect his career on the Giants or some other team?  

could win PowerBall but I ain't investing my life savings in lottery tickets.

7 hours ago, section314 said:

Eli has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio this year. Geno, in his wretched career, has never been close to even. On his best day, Geno Smith can't hold Eli Manning's cleats. 

In addition Eli teammates lead the league in dropped passes and if they had caught those passes at a respectable rate his completion percentage would be in excess of 73%!!!

Only Jets fans would compare Geno Smith or McCown to Eli Manning......

Reminds me of the idiocy of those who are by their volumes of statistics lost in a sea of insanity...

These are the same type of folks who had statistic after statistic of why Chad Pennington was a better QB than Tom Brady.  Remember that......

As I said then I don't care what Chad's completion percentage was (insert McCown/Smith now) or any other statistic you want; Chad (whom I really like) (insert McCown/Smith) was never ever ever ever better than Brady (insert Eli Manning).... It is joke...

Manning won, the others haven't end of discussion.....

Folks can't see this...

Good Grief!!!

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Geno has been in the league about what, 5 seasons?  He went 8-8 his first season but was up and down.  His second year he struggled and was benched. When he returned he played pretty well all things considered and finished with 105 passer rating his last 4 games.  The next season, he was the projected starter, when he allowed his ego and mouth to create situation where another teammate (one with a history of assault) punch and break his jaw, ruining any chance he had of starting.   The following season, his HC Bowles decided to stick with the journeyman quarterback coming off a career year rather than give Geno another opportunity to compete for the starting job.  He eventually got to start late in the season only to get injured in the second half of his only start.   He then proceed to play out his contract and sign with the Giants. 

Simple... If Geno improves his decision making he will fine and well could resurrect his career!!

The irony is that we have somewhat resurrected a journeyman's career in McCown after 15 seasons and this is lost on those who want to bury Geno after essentially 3 seasons or Petty after four nondescript games.

Indeed IMO the current regimes mindset as well as previous aborted regime attempts at QB development, shows that their is something fundamentally wrong with the Jets developmental infrastructure and that the Jets simply don't know how to develop a QB now based on the last ten years of young QB developmental efforts..

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

In addition Eli teammates lead the league in dropped passes and if they had caught those passes at a respectable rate his completion percentage would be in excess of 73%!!!

Reminds me of the idiocy of those who are by their volumes of statistics lost in a sea of insanity...

These are the same type of folks who had statistic after statistic of why Chad Pennington was a better QB than Tom Brady.  Remember that......

As I said then I don't care what Chad's completion percentage was (insert McCown/Smith now) or any other statistic you want; Chad (whom I really like) (insert McCown/Smith) was never ever ever ever better than Brady (insert Eli Manning).... It is joke...

Folks can't see this...

Good Grief!!!

Eli doesn't cheat

11 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Folks can't see this...

Good Grief!!!

I actually argued with a poster here a few months back who basically said that Sanchez would have won the two Super Bowls that Eli won with the Giants, implying that Sanchez was as good, or better, than ELi.  Can't make this up.

22 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its amazing how people can be rational and understand this when its for another team. If he was the Jets QB we'd be hearing what's his problem he's got no weaponzz dohh , he sucks , blah blah blah. 

The reason for that is simple. Eli has 2 Super Bowl rings. McCown before this season had 2 WINS in 3 years as a starter. Eli has shown when he has the weapons and time to throw he gets the job done. McCown has made mistakes that we have all witnessed and is A journeyman QB. That is why Eli has been granted the slack he has been given.

22 hours ago, section314 said:

Eli has a 2:1 TD to INT ratio this year. Geno, in his wretched career, has never been close to even. On his best day, Geno Smith can't hold Eli Manning's cleats. 

Eli has led his offense to 14.2 PPG

Geno in 2013: 17.1 PPG 

Geno in 2014: 18.8 PPG

Thank you for playing.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Eli has led his offense to 14.2 PPG

Geno in 2013: 17.1 PPG 

Geno in 2014: 18.8 PPG

Thank you for playing.

.... Hahahhahahahahah .... Geno & led ..... Hahahahahhaha .... Too f*cking funny!

thanks for that brother !

5 minutes ago, ljr said:

.... Hahahhahahahahah .... Geno & led ..... Hahahahahhaha .... Too f*cking funny!

thanks for that brother !

it's as laughable as Eli and led. 

You know what's funny is that a year ago w/ a playoff team and Odell Eli led the O to 17.7 PPG which eclipsed Geno's rookie year but not his 2nd year.

6 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

The reason for that is simple. Eli has 2 Super Bowl rings. McCown before this season had 2 WINS in 3 years as a starter. Eli has shown when he has the weapons and time to throw he gets the job done. McCown has made mistakes that we have all witnessed and is A journeyman QB. That is why Eli has been granted the slack he has been given.

So basically what this says is if a team surrounds a QB with a quality Oline , good skill position players and a stellar D they can be successful. Eli is as much a benificiary of these things as past Jet QB's were hampered by the lack of talent around them. Eli is no Rodgers or Brady , BigBen or even his older brother , he couldn't carry a team on his back and the past few years prove that.  He was a good QB surrounded by a good supporting cast.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

So basically what this says is if a team surrounds a QB with a quality Oline , good skill position players and a stellar D they can be successful. Eli is as much a benificiary of these things as past Jet QB's were hampered by the lack of talent around them. Eli is no Rodgers or Brady , BigBen or even his older brother , he couldn't carry a team on his back and the past few years prove that.  He was a good QB surrounded by a good supporting cast.

So you're saying McCown could have done the same things as Eli did with a good surrounding cast?  Eli has 2 rings. Those rings were as much as a result of his play as they were of the rest of the team's play. You can't say the same for Peyton as the only reason why he has a second ring is because of the Broncos all world defense that year. He's no Brady I'll give you that and Rodgers is above him stat wise as well. Say what you will but he does have those rings and while somewhat average stat wise you can't take that away from him.

It's really up to Geno. Not a good situation with that team but up to him to make the best out of this opportunity. Not too many opportunities for a Qb in his situation. He got a chance last year and got injured. For all the Geno fans who cried so much last year about Geno not getting a fair chance he got it in October. 

35 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you're saying McCown could have done the same things as Eli did with a good surrounding cast?  Eli has 2 rings. Those rings were as much as a result of his play as they were of the rest of the team's play. You can't say the same for Peyton as the only reason why he has a second ring is because of the Broncos all world defense that year. He's no Brady I'll give you that and Rodgers is above him stat wise as well. Say what you will but he does have those rings and while somewhat average stat wise you can't take that away from him.

Eli did come up big in many big spots gotta give him that. But he doesn’t have any rings without that great D. Especially the first championship. Pats were underfeated and putting up 30-40 on teams like nothing. And had a pretty good D too. The giants D kept them to 14 points ? All or most of game. Pats kept Eli in check too about the Same. That helmet was crazy,  Eli deserves lot of cred but def most WRs drop that ball. 

Eli Does not have great career stats. He wouldn’t do well at all if he had been on the browns his whole career. Right now McCown is a better qb than Eli no question. That could change next yr. I’d like to see Eli with other team. Would like to see how McCown does with stronger line, better targets.

2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

While the Giants and Eli had magical playoff runs , it took a missed in the grasp call and a once in a lifetime catch to win the 1st. The second was aided by an Edleman/Brady wide open miss which rarely happens and I hate the Pats. Do I think McCown could have done the same things - not entirely , he is clearly a notch down as a QB , but he would have had success with those Giants teams - he's had decent success with a team everyone was quoting as the worst ever offensively in PS. 

Bottom line its been proven that you need a good/great QB to win consistently in this league. But very few QB's can carry a team dereft of talent and its clear Eli is not one of them.  A great guy with the fortune of being on quality teams , but listening to Giant fans this week you would have thought the Pope was benched. 

Elis age didn't catch up to him their team fell apart...he lost all of his weapons to injury the offensive line was playing terribly and their defense has not been playing to their potential honestly they might have one the if not the worst coach in the league. Eli was never Peyton or Brady but their team only having one win is not 100 percent on him

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

While the Giants and Eli had magical playoff runs , it took a missed in the grasp call and a once in a lifetime catch to win the 1st. The second was aided by an Edleman/Brady wide open miss which rarely happens and I hate the Pats. Do I think McCown could have done the same things - not entirely , he is clearly a notch down as a QB , but he would have had success with those Giants teams - he's had decent success with a team everyone was quoting as the worst ever offensively in PS. 

Bottom line its been proven that you need a good/great QB to win consistently in this league. But very few QB's can carry a team dereft of talent and its clear Eli is not one of them.  A great guy with the fortune of being on quality teams , but listening to Giant fans this week you would have thought the Pope was benched. 

Don't you see that if it came down to one play (according to you) in TWO SUPERBOWLS, the Giants must've played amazing games against a vastly superior opponent to even be in a position for one play to swing things? Can't just throw away the 99% of the game that got the Giants within striking distance and then claim luck due to one play.

Previous 2 games Eli led offense to 12 points in regulation, Geno starts and they score 17 including 2 TDs! 

the 2 benched QBs everyone whined about in recent weeks vs. Kansas City

Eli led O to 12 points in 5 qtrs

Tyrod Taylor led Buf to 16 points

28 total btw these 2 "great" QBs that were above benching.

Yesterday horrible Josh McCown leads Jets to 38.

14 minutes ago, rammagen said:

well two numbers 18 and 19 ...the fumbles he has had in this game in 31 starts. Good winning qbs do not have that many fumbles or turn overs. other then losing the game and those fumbles he played well .......

The first one he took too long w/ the ball, the 2nd one he had no chance.

Geno: 31 starts, 9 fumbles lost.  he loses .29 per game

Eli: 210 starts, 50 fumbles lost, .24 per game

total TOs:

Geno: 45 in 31 starts, 1.45 per game

Eli: 272 in 210 starts, 1.3 per game

Pretty close

Prior to yesterday his lost per game was lower than Eli so this sort of proves the point that Eli is not a good winning QB, right?

Archived